PDA

View Full Version : Just Who is a UPCI Member??

stmatthew
03-11-2007, 02:57 PM
We had this discussion a while back and I just read this in my trusty UPCI manual, and thought the bolded part was interesting.

General Constitution

Article II

Membership in the United Pentecostal Church International shall consist of all ministers and missionaries holding an accredited credential or license, and all members of local assemblies which are affiliated with us, and shall be called "Organization".

SDG
03-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Ah .. the perennial question ... you are a member as long as you pay your dues.

stmatthew
03-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Ah .. the perennial question ... you are a member as long as you pay your dues.

The point of the discussion was that membership was only for ministers. I asked why the Manual addresses the local assembly if they are not members of the org itself. I think I have found the answer. You are a non-voting member of the UPCI if your church is affiliated with the org.

Old Paths
03-11-2007, 03:04 PM
I THINK I read somewhere that ONLY the ministry is a member

philjones
03-11-2007, 03:14 PM
I THINK I read somewhere that ONLY the ministry is a member

It appears that there must have been a contradiction or a mistake or both!:killinme

Actually, what Matt has quoted is what I had always thought. Non-voting member... So what good is membership?

BoredOutOfMyMind
03-11-2007, 03:23 PM
The point of the discussion was that membership was only for ministers. I asked why the Manual addresses the local assembly if they are not members of the org itself. I think I have found the answer. You are a non-voting member of the UPCI if your church is affiliated with the org.

So are you saying the protection of the International Bylaws then does not apply to non-affilated church members?!?

:dunno

SDG
03-11-2007, 03:25 PM
So are you saying the protection of the International Bylaws then does not apply to non-affilated church members?!?

THEY NEED A CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION BOOM!!!!

stmatthew
03-11-2007, 03:26 PM

I guess not, because they are not mentioned as being members of the org. Only affiliated church members are part of the "organization" according to the above.

Revelationist
03-11-2007, 03:42 PM
It appears that there must have been a contradiction or a mistake or both!:killinme

Actually, what Matt has quoted is what I had always thought. Non-voting member... So what good is membership?

It makes them feel good... : )

Revelationist
03-11-2007, 03:45 PM
I guess not, because they are not mentioned as being members of the org. Only affiliated church members are part of the "organization" according to the above.

Affiliation is when you turn your buiding over the organization, so I guess affiliated church members have paid their due if they are willing to give their building to the organization...

Coonskinner
03-11-2007, 03:47 PM
I am currently a member, but the church God has privileged me to pastor is not affiliated.

I would not want to pastor an affiliated church, i don't believe.

SDG
03-11-2007, 03:48 PM
I am currently a member, but the church God has privileged me to pastor is not affiliated.

I would not want to pastor an affiliated church, i don't believe.

Why not CS???

SDG
03-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Hey CS ... had lunch with WH ... He's more PAJC than you are !!!!

Coonskinner
03-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Why not CS???

I guess my roots are showing.

I was raised AMF.

SDG
03-11-2007, 03:52 PM

I was raised AMF.

I've notice some churches are getting rid of the affiliated tag lately ... do you think its because of the upcoming vote at GC????

Coonskinner
03-11-2007, 03:54 PM
I've notice some churches are getting rid of the affiliated tag lately ... do you think its because of the upcoming vote at GC????

That is probably one reason, but not the only reason.

Old Paths
03-11-2007, 03:56 PM
You guys are warned!

All this mis-infomation concerning UPC church affliation is going to give rrford a stroke.

:D

Old Paths
03-11-2007, 03:56 PM

I was raised AMF.

Pretty good roots.

MrsMcD
03-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Our pastor is affiliated but our church is not. :thumbsup

Neck
03-11-2007, 04:03 PM
How can the UPCI boast 2.3 Million members with defining them how the Manual reads?

SDG
03-11-2007, 04:03 PM
How can the UPCI boast 2.3 Million members with defining them how the Manual reads?

ehem ....

Thumper
03-11-2007, 04:05 PM
I would like to state for the record:

I AM NOT UPCI!

MY CHURCH IS NOT UPCI!

AS A MATTER OF FACT I WENT THROUGH MY WHOLE HOUSE AND CUT OUT ALL THE LITTLE UPC BAR CODES ON ALL OF THE GROCERY PRODUCTS WE HAVE JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE

Felicity
03-11-2007, 04:06 PM
When we were missionaries we were told to count anyone "looking our way" as a member. TB refused to do that.

Where I come from back home pretty much anyone who considers themselves a member of a UPCI church considers themselves a member of the UPC. They don't know there's anything much else out there for the most part.

(Shhhhh! Don't tell them the difference. ;) :))

SDG
03-11-2007, 04:06 PM
I would like to state for the record:

I AM NOT UPCI!

MY CHURCH IS NOT UPCI!

AS A MATTER OF FACT I WENT THROUGH MY WHOLE HOUSE AND CUT OUT ALL THE LITTLE UPC BAR CODES ON ALL OF THE GROCERY PRODUCTS WE HAVE JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE

Good job Thumper ....

Neck
03-11-2007, 04:41 PM
When we were missionaries we were told to count anyone "looking our way" as a member. TB refused to do that.

Where I come from back home pretty much anyone who considers themselves a member of a UPCI church considers themselves a member of the UPC. They don't know there's anything much else out there for the most part.

(Shhhhh! Don't tell them the difference. ;) :))

I agree with what you said...

rrford
03-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Affiliation is when you turn your buiding over the organization, so I guess affiliated church members have paid their due if they are willing to give their building to the organization...

Another totally misinformed and incorrect answer. Ever read the Manual? :killinme

rrford
03-11-2007, 04:53 PM
You guys are warned!

All this mis-infomation concerning UPC church affliation is going to give rrford a stroke.

:highfive

tv1a
03-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Easy answer... To inflate the numbers...

Neck
03-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Another totally misinformed and incorrect answer. Ever read the Manual? :killinme

Do you know it there is an online manual? I would like to read it.

tv1a
03-11-2007, 05:15 PM
It's the same process McDonald's uses to count how many hamburgers they've served the past 50 years.

Neck
03-11-2007, 05:23 PM
It's the same process McDonald's uses to count how many hamburgers they've served the past 50 years.

Now that just might be the truth. :bliss

Old Paths
03-11-2007, 06:28 PM
How about this?

Stand outside your local UPC church and ask folks coming out of the building.... "Are you a member of the UPC?".

I am sure that most will answer yes.

Whatever the manual says or doesn't say it has been drilled into the people in the past by the ministry that they (the saints) are the UPC and some have even gone a step further and preached the UPC was the Bride of Christ.

SDG
03-11-2007, 06:30 PM
How about this?

Stand outside your local UPC church and ask folks coming out of the building.... "Are you a member of the UPC?".

Whatever the manual says or doesn't say it has been drilled into the people in the past by the ministry that they (the saints) are the UPC and some have even gone a step further and preached the UPC was the Bride of Christ.

Sad, huh???

drummerboy_dave
03-11-2007, 06:39 PM
The point of the discussion was that membership was only for ministers. I asked why the Manual addresses the local assembly if they are not members of the org itself. I think I have found the answer. You are a non-voting member of the UPCI if your church is affiliated with the org.Now, I know I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but where do you find "non-voting member" in the sentence below?

Membership in the United Pentecostal Church International shall consist of all ministers and missionaries holding an accredited credential or license, and all members of local assemblies which are affiliated with us, and shall be called "Organization".

ManOfWord
03-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Kinda like AmEx......membership has its rewards? :D

drummerboy_dave
03-11-2007, 06:44 PM
And what exactly, is an "affiliated" local assembly?

Carpenter
03-11-2007, 07:01 PM
I like Old Path, Brother Epley, Bishop, and MOW am not a member of the UPC...at least I don't think I am...but I might be...hmmmm... :dunno

:killinme

Old Paths
03-11-2007, 07:07 PM
I like Old Path, Brother Epley, Bishop, and MOW am not a member of the UPC...at least I don't think I am...but I might be...hmmmm... :dunno

:killinme

Oh prodigal son, they will NEVER let you go.

Carpenter
03-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Oh prodigal son, they will NEVER let you go.

Mind over matter, it is nothing but mind over matter...I just hafta keep telling myself that...

:slaphappy

I just thought of something...can you be UPC but not have to call anyone your pastor?

:slaphappy

Steve Epley
03-11-2007, 08:56 PM
How about this?

True.

Felicity
03-11-2007, 09:09 PM
I know that some think the UPC is the bride of Christ but I don't think they've ever been told that expressly. It's just intimated because a lot of the people I know from back home - a fairly insulated area even in this day and age - don't know of much else that's Oneness Pentecostal outside of UPCI. God bless their dear hearts. :)

stmatthew
03-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Now, I know I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but where do you find "non-voting member" in the sentence below?

No saints are allowed to vote at the secret board meetings to my knowledge. But as the ones in an affiliated church are being claimed as members, I did sum cyphering, and concluded that they must be non-voting members. :heeheehee

Old Paths
03-11-2007, 10:07 PM
I know that some think the UPC is the bride of Christ but I don't think they've ever been told that expressly. It's just intimated because a lot of the people I know from back home - a fairly insulated area even in this day and age - don't know of much else that's Oneness Pentecostal outside of UPCI. God bless their dear hearts. :)

Felicity

Granted not many (Thank The Lord) preached the UPC was The Bride, but some did and if I remember correctly, one was the late I. H. Terry who preach his famous message concerning the UPC being the Bride at the UPC Left Coast Camp Meeting.

Scott Hutchinson
03-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Are non-ministers members of the AMF or is just ministers members?

Old Paths
03-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Are non-ministers members of the AMF or is just ministers members?

There are no AMF churches just AMF ministers.

rrford
03-11-2007, 10:12 PM

So the members of those churches do not refer to themselves as being part of the AMF?

Felicity
03-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Felicity

Granted not many (Thank The Lord) preached the UPC was The Bride, but some did and if I remember correctly, one was the late I. H. Terry who preach his famous message concerning the UPC being the Bride at the UPC Left Coast Camp Meeting.How long ago would that have been?

I know many make distinction between the Bride and the Church but I tend to believe they're one and the same.

Scott Hutchinson
03-11-2007, 10:13 PM

That's what I thought.Does the AMF have ministers tithing to the dictrict, just wondering?

Old Paths
03-11-2007, 10:16 PM
So the members of those churches do not refer to themselves as being part of the AMF?

Really, Elder, It may happen, but I have never heard it mentioned by any saints.

Old Paths
03-11-2007, 10:17 PM
How long ago would that have been?

I know many make distinction between the Bride and the Church but I tend to believe they're one and the same.

Maybe 10 years ago????

I too believe that the Bride and the Church are the same, but a man made organization is NOT the Church or the Bride.

stmatthew
03-11-2007, 10:17 PM
That's what I thought.Does the AMF have ministers tithing to the dictrict, just wondering?

The AMF does not have districts (Elder Epley said they did way back). My understanding is that the AMF is a fellowship of ministers. There are no presbyters or district supervisors. They have a general board that basically takes care of the business of the AMF, but has no authority over the local church.

It is really set up the Apostolic way.

Old Paths
03-11-2007, 10:18 PM

There are no districts.

stmatthew
03-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Maybe 10 years ago????

I too believe that the Bride and the Church are the same, but a man made organization is NOT the Church or the Bride.

Bro Terry also implied that the AMF was born out of rebellion, and he also stated in his life story that the AMF had quite a few light doctrine teachers in it. Something I have yet to find substantiated.

Felicity
03-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Maybe 10 years ago????

I too believe that the Bride and the Church are the same, but a man made organization is NOT the Church or the Bride.We agree!! :bliss

Hehe. :)

rrford
03-11-2007, 10:20 PM
The AMF does not have districts (Elder Epley said they did way back). My understanding is that the AMF is a fellowship of ministers. There are no presbyters or district supervisors. They have a general board that basically takes care of the business of the AMF, but has no authority over the local church.

Uhm, probably not. A good effort maybe, but not the real Apostolic way. I know of absolutely no group that is totally formed "the Apostolic way."

Old Paths

The AMF is small and has the LEAST amount of government of any org. and to me small government is a GOOD thing.

Scott Hutchinson
There are no districts.

I wonder be interested in their org. structure.
NO joking you where could I get ahold of some of Elder Burr's books on church govt, I would read them?

Old Paths
Uhm, probably not. A good effort maybe, but not the real Apostolic way. I know of absolutely no group that is totally formed "the Apostolic way."

Amen.

Thumper
03-11-2007, 10:21 PM

I have never heard anything like that either. Honestly Brother, the fellowship is really not something that gets a lot of play at the local level.

Scott Hutchinson
Amen.

I agree.

Old Paths
I wonder be interested in their org. structure.
NO joking you where could I get ahold of some of Elder Burr's books on church govt, I would read them?

Call the FPC in North Little Rock and ask for the Book Store.

They have all of Elder Burr's writings.

stmatthew
03-11-2007, 10:22 PM

I would be interested in hearing what you feel is a correct government for a church or org, Rabbi.

Maybe another thread??? :ty

rrford
03-11-2007, 10:22 PM
I have never heard anything like that either. Honestly Brother, the fellowship is really not something that gets a lot of play at the local level.

I was just curious. Make sone wonder if over time, as they grow, if it will not develop as a mindset among the members of those churches pastored by AMF men?

Thumper
03-11-2007, 10:23 PM

There would rioting in the streets and images burned in efigy for even suggesting such a thing.:)

rrford
03-11-2007, 10:23 PM
I would be interested in hearing what you feel is a correct government for a church or org, Rabbi.

Maybe another thread??? :ty

Although it is an interesting topic it is not necessarily one I would just be dying to discuss. Typically, it will turn into a bash the UPCI structure of government. Not interested in that.

Thumper
03-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Bro Terry also implied that the AMF was born out of rebellion, and he also stated in his life story that the AMF had quite a few light doctrine teachers in it. Something I have yet to find substantiated.

If there are any light doctrine teachers they are extremely well hidden :)

Scott Hutchinson
03-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Do the AMF ministers pay a tithe to the headquarters or is the bugdet fee the only monies required of them?

rrford
03-11-2007, 10:25 PM

By the truckloads I think.

stmatthew
03-11-2007, 10:25 PM
I was just curious. Make sone wonder if over time, as they grow, if it will not develop as a mindset among the members of those churches pastored by AMF men?

Having been a member at one time, I can say it is there, but it was never a major thing. We always looked at ourselves as AMF, but it only meant good fellowship to us.

Scott Hutchinson
03-11-2007, 10:26 PM

They would be well hidden like annihilationalists,which I doubt they have any in it.:killinme :bliss

stmatthew
03-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Although it is an interesting topic it is not necessarily one I would just be dying to discuss. Typically, it will turn into a bash the UPCI structure of government. Not interested in that.

Do it from a non-UPCI stance. I was also speaking of a general overview, as I know it would take a lot of time to go into detail.

Old Paths
03-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Do the AMF ministers pay a tithe to the headquarters or is the bugdet fee the only monies required of them?

There is no headquarters, just a $250.00 annual budget fee or three pints of human blood or the head of a trinity preacher.

Hee heeeeeeeeeeee

rrford
03-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Having been a member at one time, I can say it is there, but it was never a major thing. We always looked at ourselves as AMF, but it only meant good fellowship to us.

Probably the same thing that many UPCI folks view the org as.

rrford
03-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Do it from a non-UPCI stance. I was also speaking of a general overview, as I know it would take a lot of time to go into detail.

Perhaps in a few days. After preaching twice on today and an incredibly busy week I am looking for a few days of "light" posting. :heeheehee

Old Paths
By the truckloads I think.

Must be a very small truck. :D

I have only known of one man that may have been and he has been dead a long time.

Scott Hutchinson
There is no headquarters, just a $250.00 annual budget fee or three pints of human blood or the head of a trinity preacher.

Hee heeeeeeeeeeee

Do they have local, general and ordination like other fellowships?

stmatthew

Hee heeeeeeeeeeee

Did you list that in backwards order there Elder?? :killinme

stmatthew
03-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Perhaps in a few days. After preaching twice on today and an incredibly busy week I am looking for a few days of "light" posting. :heeheehee

I will look forward to it. I am always edified by your posts.

Old Paths
03-11-2007, 10:31 PM

Yes, but we usually refer to the local and gen'l as JUNIOR fire marshalls.

Old Paths
03-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Did you list that in backwards order there Elder?? :killinme

Hey you're right.

My bad.

Hee heeeeeeeeee

Thumper
03-11-2007, 10:33 PM

I don't think that is likely because we don't draw any distinction based on the fellowship that one belongs to. Criteria for fellowship is all about message and life lived. For many, especially to those who have been wedded to the UPC for a long time, this is hard to take at face value. I know it was for me. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop but I'm still waiting. It is certainly not perfect, like any group of men flawed humanity sometimes stands in the way. But so far I can see nothing better that I would want to be part of.

Scott Hutchinson
03-11-2007, 10:35 PM
I don't think that is likely because we don't draw any distinction based on the fellowship that one belongs to. Criteria for fellowship is all about message and life lived. For many, especially to those who have been wedded to the UPC for a long time, this is hard to take at face value. I know it was for me. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop but I'm still waiting. It is certainly not perfect, like any group of men flawed humanity sometimes stands in the way. But so far I can see nothing better that I would want to be part of.

If you are happy then so am I.

Thumper
03-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Must be a very small truck. :D

I have only known of one man that may have been and he has been dead a long time.

Who killed him

Thumper
03-11-2007, 10:36 PM

yes

Old Paths
03-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Who killed him

God.

Hoovie
03-11-2007, 10:45 PM

Hee heeeeeeeeeeee

Do members on this board actually feel comfortable joking like this? No wonder there are Christians who see Oneness preachers as cultic.

rrford
03-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Do members on this board actually feel comfortable joking like this? No wonder there are Christians who see Oneness preachers as cultic.

Sorry I missed that post, but it is out of line. Even in an attempt at humor. JMHO. (Then again, it isn't any more out of line than many other posts about UPC preachers some hold so much contempt for around here. Both should cease.)

Thumper
03-11-2007, 10:49 PM

Thank you for sharing :)

Go and sin no more :)

Old Paths
03-11-2007, 10:50 PM

Hi Steve.

It was done in humor among friends.

OK?

BTW there are no Christians that are not Oneness.

Thumper
03-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Hi Steve.

It was done in humor among friends.

OK?

BTW there are no Christians that are not Oneness.

You have such a hard heart

Old Paths
03-11-2007, 11:25 PM
You have such a hard heart

Not to mention my posts are considered "out of line", at least by some poster's JMHO.

:tease

Steve Epley
03-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Yes there were some men in the early days of the AMF that believed the 'light doctrine" most were connected in some way to Haywood's teaching. I do NOT know one preacher that believes that today. However Elder Terry's statement seemed somewhat misplaced since he belonged to a group that it's Bible colleges such as Stockton & S. Paul taught the same.
Elder Terry was one of the biggest desenters the UPC had back then and talked of leaving but when the AMF formed there was an issue(which was also found in the UPC) that kept him out and he became active in fighting the AMF.
Having preached in most of the churches pastored by AMF men I do not know of a setiment among the laity of being AMF but if their is then shame on the preacher. The AMF is NOT the church.
NO tithe is sent to the fellowship we are against that it was addressed in the formation of the fellowship.

Felicity
03-12-2007, 08:28 PM
I heard about the "light doctrine" sometime way back in the 70s. Although I was young and certainly not a great Bible scholar or anything like that it sounded 'strange" to me. I rejected it almost straightway because it didn't make sense and it didn't line up to what scripture I did know at that time.

To me you are either saved or not. There's no other position except one of those 2.

hammondb3klingon1
03-12-2007, 08:53 PM
light doctrine? What does that mean? I H Terry spit nails and drank wine(for communion) maybe not in that order :). Nothing light in that dude. Also, I remember in the early days if you went to an amf meeting, you had better bring your gloves. We went to a couple when I was a kid. My dad thought there was too much fighting but did like some of the men. So with that much fussing, I would think "light" doctrine would be run out of town. Most of the cats I have met in that org are straight as arrows. I admire some of them. Steve Epley, Robert Caveness, Crawford Coon, Steve Coon, James Mustain, Darnell Fletcher, and James Groce are all men I admire. They seem to be good guys.

Steve Epley
03-12-2007, 08:54 PM
light doctrine? What does that mean? I H Terry spit nails and drank wine(for communion) maybe not in that order :). Nothing light in that dude. Also, I remember in the early days if you went to an amf meeting, you had better bring your gloves. We went to a couple when I was a kid. My dad thought there was too much fighting but did like some of the men. So with that much fussing, I would think "light" doctrine would be run out of town. Most of the cats I have met in that org are straight as arrows. I admire some of them. Steve Epley, Robert Caveness, Crawford Coon, Steve Coon, James Mustain, Darnell Fletcher, and James Groce are all men I admire. They seem to be good guys.

Elder Crawford Coon is UPC unless something has changed lately?

Old Paths
03-12-2007, 09:01 PM

And Elder Steve Coon died last month.

So sad, for he was a good man that believed and preached the Apostolic message.

Fonix
03-13-2007, 05:27 AM

As far as I know he is still in Jena LA. He is a GREAT bible teacher. We used to have him some yrs as the day teacher at the UPCI campmeeting. I have many tapes of him.

Steve Epley
03-13-2007, 07:23 AM
As far as I know he is still in Jena LA. He is a GREAT bible teacher. We used to have him some yrs as the day teacher at the UPCI campmeeting. I have many tapes of him.

Yes Elder Coon is an excellent Bible teacher.

LadyChocolate
03-13-2007, 07:54 AM
Yes Elder Coon is an excellent Bible teacher.

Didn't he preach at S.C.O.R.E or AMC a year or two ago????

Steve Epley
03-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Didn't he preach at S.C.O.R.E or AMC a year or two ago????

I think maybe both I know he preached the AMC I was there.