PDA

View Full Version : What Ever Happened To Church Like This!

PraiseHymn
03-02-2008, 09:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc_B8LAjVbI

Now this is what I call church! Blacks and Whites loosing their mind in praise back in the day! FYI: Rev. A. A. Allen exhorts on music, and Gene Martin & Choir sing "God's Not Dead" & "He's Alright".

Hoovie
03-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Personally I don't find it appealing (the video content).

Our church does have blacks and whites praising together though - and that, of course, is great.

Minds do not need to be "loosed" to worship God. One simply needs to be sincere in the heart to worship God in spirit (inner man) and in truth (without pretension).

OneAccord
03-02-2008, 10:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc_B8LAjVbI

Now this is what I call church! Blacks and Whites loosing their mind in praise back in the day! FYI: Rev. A. A. Allen exhorts on music, and Gene Martin & Choir sing "God's Not Dead" & "He's Alright".

Seated behind Gene Martin is Dr. Roy Gray, Dean of Miracle Valley Bible College. H. Kent Rogers and Don Stewart (Associate Evangelists) and A. A. Allen. Organ: David Davis, Piano: Richard Page Drums: David Magnum. This was filmed at Miracle Valley Church, Miracle Valley, AZ.

Gene Martin is still in the ministry (age about 67) and is based in Atlanta, GA

Don Stewart took over the A. A. Allen ministry when Bro. Allen died in 1970

Elizabeth
03-02-2008, 10:21 PM
I love this! Reminds me of the church I was baptized in--I think they were a little a head of their time--or did they influence in a new trend? IDK

I personally believe some minds do need to be set free-seen too many bound up angry faces that could not be moved to raise a hand to God. Those folks needed deliverance.

Ronzo
03-02-2008, 10:22 PM
no thanks...

Elizabeth
03-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Seated behind Gene Martin is Dr. Roy Gray, Dean of Miracle Valley Bible College. H. Kent Rogers and Don Stewart (Associate Evangelists) and A. A. Allen. Organ: David Davis, Piano: Richard Page Drums: David Magnum. This was filmed at Miracle Valley Church, Miracle Valley, AZ.

Gene Martin is still in the ministry (age about 67) and is based in Atlanta, GA

Don Stewart took over the A. A. Allen ministry when Bro. Allen died in 1970

Wow, I was wondering if this worship leader was still alive!

BTW how do you know so much about miracle valley?

Ronzo
03-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Personally I don't find it appealing (the video content).

Same here...

Emotional sensationalism holds no appeal to me any longer... it's not how I define "good church".

OneAccord
03-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Wow, I was wondering if this worship leader was still alive!

BTW how do you know so much about miracle valley?

Miracle Valley is currently being restored through the efforts of Melvin Harter. Don Stewart sold the place , I believe 72 or 73. It changed hands a few times then was abandoned.

The land was given to Bro. Allen in, I think, 1958. Bro. Allen established Miracle Valley Bible College and the Tabernacle. He also established "The Pool of Bethsesda, where the sick could come to be prayed for and taken care of. A.A Allen Miracle Revivals Inc was based there and Miracle Magazine (cir 300,000) was printed and sent out. Many people moved to the Valley in its heyday, and it was known as "The Campmeeting Captial of the World". I hope to visit Miracle Valley this year. It is located on Hwy. 92 between Searra Vista and Bisbee.

Elizabeth
03-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Miracle Valley is currently being restored through the efforts of Melvin Harter. Don Stewart sold the place , I believe 72 or 73. It changed hands a few times then was abandoned.

The land was given to Bro. Allen in, I think, 1958. Bro. Allen established Miracle Valley Bible College and the Tabernacle. He also established "The Pool of Bethsesda, where the sick could come to be prayed for and taken care of. A.A Allen Miracle Revivals Inc was based there and Miracle Magazine (cir 300,000) was printed and sent out. Many people moved to the Valley in its heyday, and it was known as "The Campmeeting Captial of the World". I hope to visit Miracle Valley this year. It is located on Hwy. 92 between Searra Vista and Bisbee.

Really! I didnt realize it was abandoned.

I find the big tent era very interesting. I have watched videos of Jack Coe, and realized my generation doesn't know how much the big tent revivalist impacted this country in the 40's and 50's.

How ambulances would take sick people to the big tent revivals, and how they hung up all crutches on the walls of the tent of those who were healed. I don't think very many people my age and younger really know of what an amazing, interesting time in history this was.

bishoph
03-03-2008, 01:34 AM

Now there is a very interesting character........Melvin Harter. My wife and I have known he and his wife since 1982 when they pastored in Reynoldsburg (Columbus) Ohio. Very interesting what they are doing at Miracle Valley as well.

Rico
03-03-2008, 01:42 AM
Same here...

Emotional sensationalism holds no appeal to me any longer... it's not how I define "good church".

Emotional sensationalism? If being excited about the God one serves enough to come to church and clap, sing, and dance with enthusiasm qualifies as "emotional sensationalism" then I will take emotional sensationalism any day over the dull, boring, dry, can't get your hair messed up or sweat in your suit, choreographed embarassment that passes for church nowadays!

Ronzo
03-03-2008, 05:11 AM
If you say so, Rico...

nahkoe
03-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Emotional sensationalism? If being excited about the God one serves enough to come to church and clap, sing, and dance with enthusiasm qualifies as "emotional sensationalism" then I will take emotional sensationalism any day over the dull, boring, dry, can't get your hair messed up or sweat in your suit, choreographed embarassment that passes for church nowadays!

You have to admit there's a difference between passionate worship and frenzied sensationalism. At least, I've sure seen and felt a difference. I'll take the passionate worship over the frenzied sensationalism anyday.

ThePastorsCoach
03-03-2008, 07:35 AM
I was just in a service with Gene Martin - He is over 70 and still singing, dancing, shouting, running, jumping like he did back in the Tent days! He is sooooooooooooooo funny! LOL
I always love to go and watch him - he says the most off the wall statements you will ever hear!
WOW - I loved that video and loved that PROPHETIC MUSIC that shaped the way I have church today! I LOVE IT!
Thanks for putting that on here.

ChicagoPastor
03-03-2008, 10:04 AM
What's up with Don Stewart???
He doesn't seem to be very popular?
You can only catch him on the 'late night circuit'

PraiseHymn
03-03-2008, 10:37 AM
What's up with Don Stewart???
He doesn't seem to be very popular?
You can only catch him on the 'late night circuit'

Ask your avatar Benny Hinn, I am sure he should know. :ursofunny But all jokes aside, I dunno, I see him late nights too and just turn it. Tired of seeing that plastic surgery face and the jet black dyed hair. :ursofunny

Rico
03-03-2008, 01:05 PM
If you say so, Rico...

Yes, I say so. :D I trip or two around the aisles at full speed every now and then can't hurt. Try it some time. Ya might like it. ;)

My Own Eyes
03-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Same here...

This will probably get me an appointment before the firing squad. Though the church part doesn't appeal to me, the "emotional sensationalism" can just be good fun! I, of course, am not meaning in a spiritual way (for me where I am now, I'm not judging anyone else). To me it would be like going out dancing, or to a rock concert and just moshing. :bliss

(Please don't get mad at me all you peeps who think I am mocking worship. I'm really not. I'm just saying for me, for the place I am right now, it wouldn't be worship, it wouldn't be spiritual at all, but it would still be fun.)

Cindy
03-03-2008, 02:19 PM
We use to drive past one of A.A. Allen's tent when I was a little girl. I know Jack Coe's family personally. I think some places still have church like that.

tbpew
03-03-2008, 03:49 PM
In my earlier years of being involved with "Pentecostal singing and praise" the phrase 'instant gratification' was used a lot as something that should be cautiously avoided. I wonder if this would be a considered a demonstration of that?

In watching the video, I was wondering if you brought the exact same melodies and rythmns (I have no musical expertise) to a secular crowd and sang "the parties not dead...I can feel it in my feet", would they experience the same excitement and goose bumps?

Mrs. LPW
03-03-2008, 04:13 PM

I think God enjoys our emotional enthusiasm.

tbpew
03-03-2008, 04:15 PM
particularly if it is a result of him being present!

Mrs. LPW
03-03-2008, 04:17 PM
In my earlier years of being involved with "Pentecostal singing and praise" the phrase 'instant gratification' was used a lot as something that should be cautiously avoided. I wonder if this would be a considered a demonstration of that?

In watching the video, I was wondering if you brought the exact same melodies and rythmns (I have no musical expertise) to a secular crowd and sang "the parties not dead...I can feel it in my feet", would they experience the same excitement and goose bumps?

I've been known to praise him with my hands and feet while not feeling any goosebumps.. just because he's worthy.

Anyone here ever studied out praise and rejoicing?

Mrs. LPW
03-03-2008, 04:18 PM
particularly if it is a result of him being present!

Amen... and He's as close as the mention of His name... the old song says.

Brother Price
03-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I believe that we need church like this again.

tbpew
03-03-2008, 04:37 PM

no, but I have sought God in considerable study for his expectation involving WORSHIP. As a result, I am much more inclined to use the word PRAISE for our familiar experience in large assemblies.

Rico
03-03-2008, 04:53 PM

Sister, I will never understand why people want to criticize relating to God in an emotional way. He created us with emotions and He Himself has emotions. I see nothing wrong with responding to God through our emotions.

Rico
03-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I've been known to praise him with my hands and feet while not feeling any goosebumps.. just because he's worthy.

Thank you. If He never touches me again He's still worthy to be praised. If there is one thing I really miss about being in church is dancing for the Lord.

Rico
03-03-2008, 04:57 PM
no, but I have sought God in considerable study for his expectation involving WORSHIP. As a result, I am much more inclined to use the word PRAISE for our familiar experience in large assemblies.

There definitely is a difference between praise and worship.

ThePastorsCoach
03-03-2008, 09:38 PM
ABI Dead Heads!

Apprehended
03-04-2008, 09:29 AM
ABI Dead Heads!

If there is not enough passion in a church service to ellicit an emotional response, then, you might as well have a lecture session and everyone go home. Maybe a book review session and call it church would be just as appropriate.

On the other hand, when passioned praise go up before the Lord upon whom your love is centered, there will be an outpouring of his glory by which the Lord will move and work among the people.

tbpew
03-04-2008, 09:54 AM
If there is not enough passion in a church service to ellicit an emotional response, then, you might as well have a lecture session and everyone go home. Maybe a book review session and call it church would be just as appropriate.

On the other hand, when passioned praise go up before the Lord upon whom your love is centered, there will be an outpouring of his glory by which the Lord will move and work among the people.
Apprehended,
Have you ever taught or admonished concering a desire for "instant gratification" as part of a praise offering among a gathering of the saints?

If so, what are the keys aspects you shared for discerning such a spirit within the groups invitation to enter into his gates with singing?