PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training Ques for all Moms/Dads

Mrs. LPW
07-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Did any of you ever try the "no diaper/pull-up/underwear" approach?
How'd it work?

What did work for you?

(never mind the stuff that didn't work.. since there's always so much that doesn't, just interested in the stuff that did work!)

LaGirl
07-16-2008, 10:21 PM
my son was trained in 3 days!!! i did not work, so i was able to REALLY work with him. every hour we would go try to use the bathroom. he wore underwear all day on those days. he never had an accident. i know he was a rare case. my 2nd son will probably be hard to train. lol

we did do pull-ups at night.

HADDOCK
07-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Since my daughters are grown and about to be married, my potty training days are long gone but I work with a lady who has a 2 year old and they've been working on this for sometime now. The little girl is adorable. We've all enjoyed the potty training stories but one of the funniest is what the little girl will say when they would try to get her to potty......
"But I can't want to potty"!

Now when someone doesn't want to do something it's.... "But I can't want to.."

Pro31:28
07-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Well considering my BABY is turning 11 today it has been a while... Is it a boy or a girl?
We had different approaches

Darcie
07-17-2008, 08:23 AM
The no diaper worked for my son, pull-ups worked for my daughter. Just don't push the issue the more you push the more uninterested they become. We did a "potty chart" for my daughter. Everytime she went in the potty she earned a sticker. Every ten stickers we would go to the dollar store and get her a prize.

Also, everytime they used the potty, we made a big deal about it, calling daddy, nana,etc.

Pro31:28
07-17-2008, 08:34 AM
With my son, he was NOT interested we tried everything! and then right before his 3rd birthday he walked into the bathroom and went... Never looked back (I did have him in underwear during the day)

My daughter on the other hand was just over 2 and her dad told her if she would go in the big potty he would buy her princess panties, she did it... But th funniest part is that he took her BY himself to the store, at that time the 7 pack of Wal-mart under wear were super cheap, but the "princess ones" were more expensive. Instead of buying ONE pack of princess and another of the generic multi-package, he bought 4 packages of expensive princess ones!!
She is still his princess

Mrs. LPW
07-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Well I posted this, and then looked for it to read respsonses and couldn't find it. I looked and looked... I think I'm losing my mind.

Thank you all so much for responding. I'm trying to train my 2yr 9mo old son.
He does go before and after baths, and occasionally in between. But he doesn't always want to. He really dislikes being interrupted from his play to go and so it can actually be a fight.

He is good when he doesn't have a diaper on (just after a bath) he won't pee on the floor. But I have been working up the nerve to take it off for the day and see what happens. I'll have to roll up my rugs and hope for the best for my couch and chairs HA.

I did buy him a three pack of cars underwear... I figure he might not want to get his cars wet!

I have to say, I haven't come at it strongly because I do have the 9 month old baby brother to look after as well. He does get really stubborn and I didn't want to fight him to do it. But I really would like him out of diapers so I'm going to get creative!

I am going to try the big boy underwear starting Monday, and go from there. If that doesn't work, I'll try the no underwear at all.

Ferd
08-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Since my daughters are grown and about to be married, my potty training days are long gone but I work with a lady who has a 2 year old and they've been working on this for sometime now. The little girl is adorable. We've all enjoyed the potty training stories but one of the funniest is what the little girl will say when they would try to get her to potty......
"But I can't want to potty"!

Now when someone doesn't want to do something it's.... "But I can't want to.."

LOL! my 3 year old boy uses that line all the time!

if he doesnt like some food, its "I cant like that" if he doesnt want to do something its "I cant want to"

too cute!

Ferd
08-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Well I posted this, and then looked for it to read respsonses and couldn't find it. I looked and looked... I think I'm losing my mind.

Thank you all so much for responding. I'm trying to train my 2yr 9mo old son.
He does go before and after baths, and occasionally in between. But he doesn't always want to. He really dislikes being interrupted from his play to go and so it can actually be a fight.

He is good when he doesn't have a diaper on (just after a bath) he won't pee on the floor. But I have been working up the nerve to take it off for the day and see what happens. I'll have to roll up my rugs and hope for the best for my couch and chairs HA.

I did buy him a three pack of cars underwear... I figure he might not want to get his cars wet!

I have to say, I haven't come at it strongly because I do have the 9 month old baby brother to look after as well. He does get really stubborn and I didn't want to fight him to do it. But I really would like him out of diapers so I'm going to get creative!

I am going to try the big boy underwear starting Monday, and go from there. If that doesn't work, I'll try the no underwear at all.

how are things going?

bethola
08-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Big Boy underwear worked with all three of my boys. I found that the disposable diapers (NO PULL UPS WAY BACK THEN) absorbed the wetness which is GOOD for babies and BAD for potty training. Once they had one or two accidents in the underwear...they were fine! Didn't like that "wet feeling".

GOOD LUCK! Gotta confess....kinda GLAD I'm outta this particular loop! LOL My BABIES just turned 29 in June!

katiekat
09-14-2011, 12:04 AM
A potty chart worked for us with my kids. We also tried giving m&ms every time they sat on the potty..