PDA

View Full Version : The Shack

Pro31:28
07-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Hey everyone in AFF land...
Has anyone here read the book, "The Shack" http://theshackbook.com/
I have read reviews and heard everything from, "it's one of the best books I have ever read", to "it's blasphemy"... I am going to pick it up and read it this weekend, but I wanted to know if anyone here has already read it (DON'T GIVE ANYTHING AWAY!!!!)

BTW (AUTHOR WARNING!!!!!) it was written by a Christian, but not a one-God, apostolic, holiness person....

OnTheFritz
07-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Just finished it yesterday. Had a huge impact on me.

SOUNWORTHY
08-05-2008, 10:13 PM
I have read reviews and heard everything from, "it's one of the best books I have ever read", to "it's blasphemy"... I am going to pick it up and read it this weekend, but I wanted to know if anyone here has already read it (DON'T GIVE ANYTHING AWAY!!!!)

BTW (AUTHOR WARNING!!!!!) it was written by a Christian, but not a one-God, apostolic, holiness person....

If he's not a One God, Holiness, Foot stompin, Tongue Talkin, on the way to heaven Apostolic I won't read his book!!:club:ursofunny:tease:evilglee What's it about?

08-06-2008, 05:41 AM
If he's not a One God, Holiness, Foot stompin, Tongue Talkin, on the way to heaven Apostolic I won't read his book!!:club:ursofunny:tease:evilglee What's it about?

If that is your criteria, it's not for you.... Go read Brother Bernard :tease

Cindy
08-06-2008, 05:52 AM
There was a thread on it a while back. If I knew how to post a link to it I would. Anyway it was a thread started by DA and it was titled The Shack-Speaks of Oneness.

08-06-2008, 06:06 AM
There was a thread on it a while back. If I knew how to post a link to it I would. Anyway it was a thread started by DA and it was titled The Shack-Speaks of Oneness.

This was actually a month old, SoUnworthy brought it back up

SOUNWORTHY
08-06-2008, 06:29 AM
This was actually a month old, SoUnworthy brought it back up

And I was only being funny. I'm looking for a good book. What's it about.
Has anyone read, The Shofar Blew by Francine Rivers? It's not new but it kept me interested all the way through.

steve p
08-06-2008, 07:12 AM
I read The Shack.....its fiction....keep an open mind....even Jesus spoke in parables...He even described himself as a father who had thought he had lost his son forever....so...keep an open mind....look for what is hidden. (I love to type like I teach...LOL)
Blessings!

Baron1710
08-06-2008, 07:29 AM
I read the book, and if you read it like you would read This Present Darkness, without looking for theology you might get something out of it. The over all theme that God loves us and is in control is a good one.

The negatives - Neither the author nor his publishers (former pastors) attend an "organized church." There are places in the book that his antagonism toward church comes out. When I found out after reading the book that this was the case I wasn't surprised, it is pretty evident in the book that he is antagonistic towards the church.

08-06-2008, 08:11 AM
I read the book, and if you read it like you would read This Present Darkness, without looking for theology you might get something out of it. The over all theme that God loves us and is in control is a good one.

The negatives - Neither the author nor his publishers (former pastors) attend an "organized church." There are places in the book that his antagonism toward church comes out. When I found out after reading the book that this was the case I wasn't surprised, it is pretty evident in the book that he is antagonistic towards the church.

You are a party Pooper!!!

Yes, I loved the story, (look at it like a parable). I think anyone who has been through a really tough trial would appreciate this book.

The authors story is actually a pretty sad one, he was raised by missionary parents, and if I read it correctly, some of the people in the mission sexually abused him...
While this is NOT the theme of the book, you can feel the authors pain in the reading.

The gist of the book is this; A man goes through a horrible trial; 3 years later he gets a letter, he thinks it could be from God, asking him to meet at the "shack" which is where the horrible event from 3 years ago culminated. All of his presuppositions about God are challenged. This will make you think about things like the Person of God, little white lies, and how much more God loves the people that you love.

crakjak
08-14-2008, 06:24 PM

I am about half way through the Shack, I think it touches many things that torment many folks. It is very engaging.

Baron1710
08-14-2008, 06:39 PM
I am about half way through the Shack, I think it touches many things that torment many folks. It is very engaging.

It does keep your attention.

Sam
08-14-2008, 07:48 PM
A friend of mine, Father Froelich, has read it. He was all enthused about it and said he was going to buy me a copy but I haven't seen him for about a month now so I don't know if he has a copy for me or not.

I had heard somewhere that it was pretty "new age."

crakjak
08-15-2008, 04:30 PM
A friend of mine, Father Froelich, has read it. He was all enthused about it and said he was going to buy me a copy but I haven't seen him for about a month now so I don't know if he has a copy for me or not.

I had heard somewhere that it was pretty "new age."

I guess I don't see the "new age" in the book, but it most assuredly does challegene many of our religious ideas. But if you look close, it does not defy scripture.

Baron1710
08-15-2008, 04:33 PM
I guess I don't see the "new age" in the book, but it most assuredly does challegene many of our religious ideas. But if you look close, it does not defy scripture.

I didn't really see the "new age" angle either.

crakjak
08-16-2008, 12:56 AM
I didn't really see the "new age" angle either.

There is an incredible story in The Shack, and it is much deeper than just great story. I will take it a step further, I believe there was much inspiration of the Holy Spirit in the writing of this book.

"If God is all powerful and full of love, why doesn’t He do something about the pain and evil in our world? This book answers that age old question with startling creativity and staggering clarity. By far one of the best books I have ever read." James Ryle, Author Hippo in the Garden

Timmy
09-19-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm reading it now. When I'm done, I'll give you a review. I know. You can hardly wait. :winkgrin

Timmy
09-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Shouldn't this be in The Library? :)

crakjak
09-19-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm reading it now. When I'm done, I'll give you a review. I know. You can hardly wait. :winkgrin

Bring it on, Timmy.

jaxfam6
09-20-2008, 08:40 AM

I am just waiting on your review of Sedona? take many pictures?

Darcie
09-20-2008, 11:20 AM
I read it, and I really enjoyed it. You do have to keep an open mind when reading it, but if you do there is so much to come away with. Very, very deep stuff in there.

Timmy
09-20-2008, 11:22 AM
I am just waiting on your review of Sedona? take many pictures?

Sedona's awesome.

Took a few pics. :lol Here's one from a jeep tour (so it's a little off kilter), Tuesday:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee225/arraywie/Sedona/DSC_9648-1.jpg

From a hike on Centennial Trail, Monday:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee225/arraywie/Sedona/DSC_9548.jpg

Timmy
09-22-2008, 02:10 AM
Bring it on, Timmy.

Here ya go (review, part 1): http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?p=594732#post594732

Ritamuffin57
11-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Currently reading "The Shack." The author is deifnitely a gifted writer and it is an intriguing story, but I'm not too comfortable with the representations of God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and Wisdom. I do not consider myself closed minded or hard line, but I do consider myself to very much love God and be in relationship with God, and at the same time respect and revere him. I'm uncomfortable when sacred things are diminished to the ordinary. Rather let the ordinary aspire to the holy things. Too much literary license for me in this book.

Thomas Trini
11-23-2008, 02:42 PM
It's heretical. Here's 2 reviews, although there's more elsewhere.
www.crossroad.to/articles2/08/shack.htm
www.carm.org/features/theshack.htm

OnTheFritz
11-24-2008, 08:08 AM
It's heretical. Here's 2 reviews, although there's more elsewhere.
www.crossroad.to/articles2/08/shack.htm
www.carm.org/features/theshack.htm

The good outweighs the bad in the book. Oneness is heretical too, apparently; but by whose standard? "The Shack" is an interpretation - a fictionalization - that does nothing more than attempt to provide a relatable connection to God. If you are trying to use it as a doctrinal roadmap, then you will be disappointed. JMHO.

rgcraig
11-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Sedona's awesome.

Took a few pics. :lol Here's one from a jeep tour (so it's a little off kilter), Tuesday:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee225/arraywie/Sedona/DSC_9648-1.jpg

From a hike on Centennial Trail, Monday:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee225/arraywie/Sedona/DSC_9548.jpg

Beautiful place! I'm so glad that I was able to see that part of God's creation!

Rhoni
11-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Speaking of, The Shack; I read it on Sunday and it was one of the best books I have read in a while. I loved the anology of God being everything he needs to be for us, and how that often times we can't relate to God as the Father if we have had a conflictual relationship with our father.

I also liked the fact that even when bad thigns, unspeakable things happen to God's children - He is there with them and cares them home. Forgiveness...it always comes down to that doesn't it?

Blessigns, Rhoni

Rhoni
11-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Currently reading "The Shack." The author is deifnitely a gifted writer and it is an intriguing story, but I'm not too comfortable with the representations of God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and Wisdom. I do not consider myself closed minded or hard line, but I do consider myself to very much love God and be in relationship with God, and at the same time respect and revere him. I'm uncomfortable when sacred things are diminished to the ordinary. Rather let the ordinary aspire to the holy things. Too much literary license for me in this book.

That is why the Nicean Council changed the mode of baptism along with adding ceremonies to the law. The simplicity of Christ's message to the common man was not what the Scribes and Pharisee's wanted to hear.

We'd rather think that man can make himself worthy enough instead of trusting a down to earth kind of God.

Blessings, Rhoni

Rhoni
11-24-2008, 02:55 PM
I read it, and I really enjoyed it. You do have to keep an open mind when reading it, but if you do there is so much to come away with. Very, very deep stuff in there.

Absolutely!!!!!:friend

Thomas Trini
11-25-2008, 03:35 PM
The good outweighs the bad in the book. Oneness is heretical too, apparently; but by whose standard? "The Shack" is an interpretation - a fictionalization - that does nothing more than attempt to provide a relatable connection to God. If you are trying to use it as a doctrinal roadmap, then you will be disappointed. JMHO.But the author uses very racist stereotypes in order to convey his message, and two of the three members of the Godhead are women, so you can't say it's one mode of the same person/God within the Godhead. Is Jesus both male and female. Of course, this is a fight which Trinitarians are having with more liberal members of their "brothers" in the faith. I might not accept the Oneness doctrine, but at least they (Oneness Pentecostals) haven't gone so far as to make their Godhead male AND female.

Margies3
11-26-2008, 04:44 PM
But the author uses very racist stereotypes in order to convey his message, and two of the three members of the Godhead are women, so you can't say it's one mode of the same person/God within the Godhead. Is Jesus both male and female. Of course, this is a fight which Trinitarians are having with more liberal members of their "brothers" in the faith. I might not accept the Oneness doctrine, but at least they (Oneness Pentecostals) haven't gone so far as to make their Godhead male AND female.

What do YOU think? Is God male? or is he female? Where is the scripture that talks about there being male nor female in heaven? Or about neither marrying nor giving in marriage in heaven? If this is true, then what does that say about God?

I'm not telling you what to believe. I'm not even sure what I think about it. And honestly, I don't think it's a heaven or hell issue.

Which is why I really didn't have a problem with the author portraying God as a woman in this book :)

Thomas Trini
11-26-2008, 04:59 PM
What do YOU think? Is God male? or is he female? Where is the scripture that talks about there being male nor female in heaven? Or about neither marrying nor giving in marriage in heaven? If this is true, then what does that say about God?

I'm not telling you what to believe. I'm not even sure what I think about it. And honestly, I don't think it's a heaven or hell issue.

Which is why I really didn't have a problem with the author portraying God as a woman in this book :)Scripture uses the male pronoun in referring to God and Jesus was male. Trinitarians who use the female pronoun, and call God "mother" are running into problems with the authority of scripture. It's also affected church membership, as many who call God mother are seeing huge drops in their attendance, which affects tithes and a whole host of other things.

SOUNWORTHY
12-15-2008, 04:05 PM

Which is why I really didn't have a problem with the author portraying God as a woman in this book :)

God isn't female because he doesn't change his mind all the time.!!:gotcha

TheRationalist
12-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Of primary importance is remembering it is a novel not a theological treatise on the godhead.

Closely following is the fact the author never attempted to portray God the Father as a female.

The clear language was that God's appearance as an elderly black female was solely because that was what would give the protagonist the most comfort at that time. If I recall He was actually portrayed as an elderly male by the end of the book.