PDA

View Full Version : Acts 2:38 Main Message Or Altar Call?

Scott Hutchinson
04-04-2007, 10:50 AM
IN ACTS 2 is ACTS 2:38 The Altar Call given Or The Main Message?
IT seems Peter preached alot about Christ from verse 22 to 36.
I wonder do we preach much about Christ ,before we try to get people to an important experience with God?

Felicity
04-04-2007, 10:55 AM
The Gospel was preached. The people were convicted and wanted to know what they needed to do. Then Peter told them. :)

Scott Hutchinson
04-04-2007, 11:02 AM
It seems like we should get people to want to follow Christ ,before can they go on.
Sometimes this is jump-started.Of course if the Holy Spirit doesn't draw people they can't make a move to God.

Chan
04-04-2007, 12:00 PM
IN ACTS 2 is ACTS 2:38 The Altar Call given Or The Main Message?
IT seems Peter preached alot about Christ from verse 22 to 36.
I wonder do we preach much about Christ ,before we try to get people to an important experience with God?From reading some of the threads here, it seems that Acts 2:38 is, for some folks, the entire message when, for Peter, it was just the altar call.

chaotic_resolve
04-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Good observation, Scott & Chan.

seguidordejesus
04-04-2007, 12:16 PM
The Gospel was preached. The people were convicted and wanted to know what they needed to do. Then Peter told them. :)

I concur.

seguidordejesus
04-04-2007, 12:16 PM
From reading some of the threads here, it seems that Acts 2:38 is, for some folks, the entire message when, for Peter, it was just the altar call.

I concrete.

seguidordejesus
04-04-2007, 12:17 PM
It seems like we should get people to want to follow Christ ,before can they go on.
Sometimes this is jump-started.Of course if the Holy Spirit doesn't draw people they can't make a move to God.

I concrat.

mfblume
04-04-2007, 12:18 PM
It was indeed the altar call.

Chan
04-04-2007, 02:14 PM
I concrete.I suspect that you concur - or is it that you concretely concur?

seguidordejesus
04-04-2007, 02:21 PM
I suspect that you concur - or is it that you concretely concur?

Concretely and completely concursive.

Scott Hutchinson
04-04-2007, 06:35 PM
So the death ,burial ,resurrection of Christ , must be proclaimed before folks ask what must we do ?

mfblume
04-04-2007, 06:36 PM
So the death ,burial ,resurrection of Christ , must be proclaimed before folks ask what must we do ?

Exactly.

Scott Hutchinson
04-04-2007, 06:39 PM
The Altar call is important ,but what brought conviction to those at Pentecost? And what really should be our main focus ? The Answer to the question ,what must we do is important ,but what brought people to that point is important as well.

Sam
04-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Peter preached the Scriptures.
He preached the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus.
He proclaimed Jesus as the supreme Lord over all and also as the promised Messiah.
The hearers were pricked in their hearts as the Holy Spirit applied the Word that was preached and they cried out "What shall we do? (not "what shall we do to be saved" as it is sometimes misquoted)"
Peter gave his answer:
1. Repent, turn to God, let Him save you and cleanse you from all your sins.
2. Follow up that salvation/regeneration experience with a public burial in water in the name of the Lord.
3. You then have the promise of that same enduement of power that we 120 just received, and that you have seen and heard manifested here.

Felicity
04-04-2007, 08:09 PM
He proclaimed Jesus as the supreme Lord over all and also as the promised Messiah.
The hearers were pricked in their hearts as the Holy Spirit applied the Word that was preached and they cried out "What shall we do? (not "what shall we do to be saved" as it is sometimes misquoted)"
Peter gave his answer:
2. Follow up that salvation/regeneration experience with a public burial in water in the name of the Lord.
3. You then have the promise of that same enduement of power that we 120 just received, and that you have seen and heard manifested here.Exactly!

Ronzo
04-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Peter gave his answer:
3. You then have the promise of that same enduement of power that we 120 just received, and that you have seen and heard manifested here.
Always appreciate your thoughts, Sam