PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Thompson for President!

HeavenlyOne
04-05-2007, 07:01 PM
What do you all think?

I don't know him except that he's the best governor Wisconsin has ever had....so I hear, since I didn't live here when he was governor, but do any of you know of him? What are your ideas?

Praxeas
04-05-2007, 07:50 PM
What do you all think?

I don't know him except that he's the best governor Wisconsin has ever had....so I hear, since I didn't live here when he was governor, but do any of you know of him? What are your ideas?

In the words of the Geico Caveman "Uh...what?!"
Tommy Thompson?

Is Wisconsin a state?

Uh....maybe if they pass out free beer?

HeavenlyOne
04-05-2007, 07:58 PM
In the words of the Geico Caveman "Uh...what?!"
Tommy Thompson?

Is Wisconsin a state?

Uh....maybe if they pass out free beer?

You knockin free beer now???

And I love the Geico cavemen!!

But seriously, do you know anything about this guy? He just entered the campaign carnival yesterday, I believe. LadyRev knows him and said if anyone will make a good prez, he will.

I need to educate myself on this guy.

CC1
04-05-2007, 10:22 PM
I like Thompson but it is Fred Thompson!!!

Fred Thompson is a former Senator from my state of Tennessee. He was a lawyer turned actor, turned politican, turned actor again (currently on Law & Order).

He was a great Senator. He is smart but down to earth. A good communicator because of his acting skills.

You may recall him as the point man President Bush had shepherd one or two of his Supreme Court nominees through the process of Senate confirmation.

I think he has the "gravitos" plus personality to give any of the Dem canidates a run for their money.

Praxeas
04-06-2007, 12:21 AM
You knockin free beer now???

And I love the Geico cavemen!!

But seriously, do you know anything about this guy? He just entered the campaign carnival yesterday, I believe. LadyRev knows him and said if anyone will make a good prez, he will.

I need to educate myself on this guy.
Well I think that since he seems to be an unknown he will have little chance of winning the primary. I don't know anything of him

Praxeas
04-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Oh...and it's my opinion that people who would make great presidents generally don't get elected for that fact. They get elected because they have wealthy backers

BoredOutOfMyMind
04-06-2007, 12:54 AM
What do you all think?

Another political hack. :nah

Pressing-On
04-06-2007, 06:10 AM
Sophisticated social conservative activists tell me they cannot vote for Giuliani under any conditions and have no rapport with McCain or Romney. They do not view Sen. Sam Brownback, representing the social right, as a viable candidate. They are coming to see Thompson as the only conservative who can be nominated. Their appreciation of him stems not from his eight years as a U.S. senator from Tennessee but his actor's role as district attorney of Manhattan on "Law and Order." That part was molded to Thompson's specifications as a tough prosecutor, lending him political star power.

Thompson's political origin as a protege of Sen. Howard Baker, leader of the Tennessee GOP's more liberal wing, prompted hard-line Senate conservatives to consider him a little too liberal. Actually, his lifetime Senate voting record as measured by the American Conservative Union was 86 percent. It would have been close to 100 percent except for his repeated votes supporting McCain's campaign finance reform. None of the big-three Republicans has been so consistently conservative as Thompson on tax policy, national security and abortion.

The principal complaint about Thompson concerns not his ideology but his work ethic. The rap is that he does not burn the midnight oil -- the identical criticism of Reagan, before and during his presidency. That carping may betray resentment that Thompson has emerged as a full-blown candidate without backbreaking campaign travel and tedious fund-raising.

Thompson's critics assert that, bored with his lucrative career as an actor, he has enjoyed his 15 minutes of fame created by a chance TV interview and will not really run. But he privately assures friends that this is for real. His performance on "Fox News Sunday" was no accident. He went on the program for the purpose of unveiling his possible candidacy.

Thompson did not leave public policy when he left the Senate. He has served on the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission. He hardly knew Scooter Libby but felt he was getting a raw deal, appeared in his courtroom and helped raise money for his defense fund.

Friends bet Thompson will run. He clearly wants to try, and his wife, Jeri, is all for it. Seeking the best timing, he wants to avoid the pitfalls encountered by Democrat Barack Obama, who may have damaged himself by starting his campaign too quickly.

I met Fred Thompson in 1974 as Howard Baker's 31-year-old minority counsel on the Watergate investigation. I considered him cool, careful and conservative. He still is, and that is how he would run for president, which appears in the offing.
-Robert Novak-

So. What about that likable fellow from Tennessee? Thompson is not "just an actor" (though they said that about Reagan, and he turned out OK). He began his professional life as an assistant U.S. attorney, worked as Sen. Howard Baker's campaign manager and did a stint as co-chief counsel to the Senate Watergate Committee. It was he who asked the innocuous-sounding but momentous question of Alexander Butterfield: "Were you aware of the existence of any listening devices in the Oval Office of the president?"

After leaving Washington, he continued to practice law and slipped into acting as easily as a wagon rolls downhill. They were making a film about his legal exploits and couldn't find anyone who could do Fred Thompson as well as he did himself.

His voting record is solidly conservative. He is articulate, self-made (his father was a car salesman), highly intelligent, and exudes calm authority. His star power offers him an opening with independent voters that other candidates can only dream of, while his solid conservative credentials will excite the Republican base.

He hasn't dreamed of becoming president since he was in diapers. But he has noticed that 57 percent of Republicans tell pollsters they are unsatisfied with the current field.
-Mona Charen-

A little info.

Pressing-On
04-06-2007, 06:11 AM
Democrats fear Fred Thompson...and should
By Mark M. Alexander
Friday, March 23, 2007

Beyond the field of announced GOP candidates with questionable conservative pedigrees, there is a potential suitor on the horizon who could close the wide breach between Republicans and conservatives. Fred Thompson, the former Republican Senator from Tennessee, is perhaps America's brightest and most capable prospect for President in 2008.

Most folks probably recognize him as District Attorney Arthur Branch on NBC's "Law & Order," or maybe from one of his big-screen roles like "Clear and Present Danger," but I have had the privilege of knowing him for 20 years as just Fred. I know well that he is as capable of navigating the clear and present dangers facing our nation and restoring law and order to our constitutional republic as are the characters he plays on screen.

Last week, when Sen. Thompson was queried about a possible presidential bid, he replied, "I'm giving some thought to it," saying he would make a decision in coming months. "It's not really a reflection on the current field at all. I'm just going to wait and see what happens."

Notwithstanding his tip of the hat to the current field of GOP contenders, Thompson made it clear that he would be watching them: "I wanted to see how my colleagues who are on the campaign trail do now -- what they say, what they emphasize ... and whether or not they can carry the ball next November."

In other words, like most conservatives, Fred is concerned about the electability of the current field of Republicans -- and for that reason, we want him in the lineup.

The GOP frontrunners -- Rudy Giuliani, John McCain and Mitt Romney -- each have their own peculiar weaknesses. Common to them all, however, is their lack of bona fides among conservative voters -- the Republican base. Without the conservative vote, it is highly questionable whether any one of the current frontrunners could pull off a convincing primary victory.

Democrats clearly understand their Republican opponents' limitations, which is why they are confident that one of their far-left-of-center frontrunners, Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama, will win the presidency in '08.

While there are conservative candidates for the GOP nomination, any of whom could deservedly win the Republican primary, none of whom would be likely to carry a majority in the general election. This list includes some true luminaries of the conservative movement: Sen. Sam Brownback, Gov. Jim Gilmore, Gov. Mike Huckabee, Rep. Duncan Hunter, Rep. Ron Paul, Rep. Tom Tancredo, Gov. Tommy Thompson and possibly former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

However, if conservatives and the rest of the Republican electorate want to line up behind the most capable, qualified and electable candidate in the '08 presidential race, a man who can carry the Reagan mantle and draw an enormous crossover vote (as President Reagan did in 1980 and 1984 see 1984 election map), then call out Fred Thompson.

After earning his J.D. from Vanderbilt University in 1967, Thompson had a private law practice and later served as an assistant U.S. attorney -- making his mark weeding out corruption. After his prominent role as Republican counsel during Watergate, it was Thompson's 1977 investigation that toppled the crooked administration of Tennessee Democrat Gov. Ray Blanton. In 1980, Thompson was tapped to serve as special counsel to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and in 1982, special counsel to the Senate Intelligence Committee.

In 1985, the Blanton scandal was the subject of the film "Marie," in which Thompson played himself -- because the director could not find an actor who could capture Thompson's power and determination. His success in that film led to his roles in more than 20 other big-screen hits including "No Way Out," "The Hunt for Red October," "Class Action," "Cape Fear" and "In the Line of Fire."

In 1993, Tennessee's Republican leadership convinced Thompson to return to public service in a campaign bid to fill the unexpired Senate term of then Vice President Albert Gore. Fred then demonstrated his formidable skills on the campaign trail. Despite all the support Bill Clinton and Al Gore could muster for popular six-term Democrat Rep. Jim Cooper, Thompson won a landslide victory in 1994, garnering 61 percent of the vote to Cooper's 39 percent -- the largest victory margin in any statewide political contest in Tennessee history.

Thompson's success in his first campaign for national office did not pass without substantial note from the Democrat National Committee. He won by an even wider margin in his 1996 re-election bid. Rest assured, the DNC fears a Thompson draft for the presidency.

Thompson's record as a U.S. Senator from 1994 to 2003 shows that he was on the right side of every critical issue. As chairman of the Senate Committee on Governmental Affairs from 1997 to 2001, he voted for national-debt reduction, the all-important balanced-budget amendment to the Constitution, a presidential line-item veto to eliminate congressional pork and efforts to privatize elements of Social Security. He supported legislation in the interest of free enterprise and opposed many regulatory and tax measures. He opposed growth in social-welfare programs, including expansions in Medicare and welfare for immigrants. He supported efforts to decentralize or disenfranchise unconstitutional government programs.

Fred voted for limits on death penalty appeals, product-liability punitive-damage awards and class-action lawsuits. He opposed decreasing restrictions on wiretaps. He supported increased oil exploration, including ANWR drilling permits, and is an advocate of free trade, understanding well the underlying national security implications. He supported an amendment to prohibit flag burning and voted for numerous measures in support of Second Amendment rights. (Charlton Heston campaigned for him in '94.)

On family and social issues, he opposed "marriage" between homosexuals, partial-birth abortion, cloning, the addition of "sexual orientation" to hate-crimes legislation and legislation prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation. He voted for many education-reform measures, including the provision of school vouchers.

Most important, Thompson's support for Operations Enduring and Iraqi Freedom was, and remains, steadfast. Thompson has the authoritative grasp of national-security issues necessary for a commander in chief, particularly with respect to the long-term jihadi threat.

Lamar Alexander filled Thompson's seat in 2003 when Fred withdrew his re-election bid following the tragic death of his daughter. Today, Fred is married to Jeri Kehn, and they have a daughter. He also has two grown children from a previous marriage and five grandchildren.

Currently a visiting fellow with the American Enterprise Institute, Fred's conservative credentials are unassailable.

Former Senate Majority Leader and Reagan Chief of Staff Howard Baker, who appointed Thompson as Republican counsel to the Watergate Committee 35 years ago, is unabashed in his support for Thompson in '08: "I keep sending up trial balloons telling people they should get him to run. So far no one is shooting them down -- including Fred."

My friend Zach Wamp, a conservative member of Tennessee's congressional delegation, spoke with Fred last week and has reached a similar conclusion about his candidacy: "There is a real, real strong possibility that he will run." Zach and more than 40 other members of Congress have scheduled a meeting with Thompson on 18 April, and they will encourage him to run.

Observing the current political climate, Fred notes, "I think people are somewhat disillusioned. I think a lot of people are cynical out there. I think they're looking for something different..."

"Something different"? How about a plain-speaking and plain-dealing American -- a charismatic leader right out of the Reagan mold, whose character, integrity and experience are head and shoulders above the rest of the field?

Fred Thompson is the right man at the right time.

-Mark Alexander-

Ferd
04-06-2007, 07:03 AM

Fred Thompson is a former Senator from my state of Tennessee. He was a lawyer turned actor, turned politican, turned actor again (currently on Law & Order).

He was a great Senator. He is smart but down to earth. A good communicator because of his acting skills.

You may recall him as the point man President Bush had shepherd one or two of his Supreme Court nominees through the process of Senate confirmation.

I think he has the "gravitos" plus personality to give any of the Dem canidates a run for their money.

I think I'm adopting you as my big brother. I dont have a brother so it might be nice to have one. since you live in Tenn. you cant give me noogies and such.... and your being a left leaning Apostolic, gives me something to work on nad pray about (that you will repent and such). BUT you think like I do when it comes to politics so I know you are OK.

I WANNA BE LIKE CC! (i left out the 1 cuz cc rymes)

CC1, ny big brudder is right. Fred Thompson for President!

Ferd
04-06-2007, 07:10 AM
PO, once again comes thru with the articles.... thanks...

now post something about Tommy Thompson...

of the top of my head I think he is pro-abortion. I dont think he is a tax and spend guy but I dont know that he is a committed tax cutter.

TT is a moderate in the real since. not a conservitive on some issues and liberal on others. he is more of a middle road guy all around if memory serves...

he also has some baggage as there are (i dont remember what) some bad press stuff that surround his time as head of homland security. I think maybe some issues with spending money for lavish meals and such (out of the norm)

CC1
04-06-2007, 09:30 AM
I think I'm adopting you as my big brother. I dont have a brother so it might be nice to have one. since you live in Tenn. you cant give me noogies and such.... and your being a left leaning Apostolic, gives me something to work on nad pray about (that you will repent and such). BUT you think like I do when it comes to politics so I know you are OK.

I WANNA BE LIKE CC! (i left out the 1 cuz cc rymes)

CC1, ny big brudder is right. Fred Thompson for President!

I am an only child and always wanted a brother! The great thing about us being political twins is that if I am away from the board and a political discussion has come up I know that if I see where you posted it will be EXACTLY what I would have said! Sometimes it is just plain weird.

Back to this thread - I don't dislike or like Tommy Thompson. I know he had a good rep bfore being in the President's cabinent but he sure didn't make much of an impression on me in that role.

I love Fred Thompson but my only fear is if there are any skeletons in his closet from his days as a very popular single man. He dated some hotties!!! (Lorrie Morgan was one of them)

He has an incredible resume having been everything from an assistant U.S. District Attorney, Hollywood actor, political aide, United States Senator, and back to acting!

He has also experienced tragedy as his adult daughter died a few years ago. I think that was a factor in him retiring from the Senate if I remember correctly.

He is greatly loved and admired in TN and I believe has the intelligence, temperment, and speaking ability to woo some Democrats.

Chan
04-06-2007, 11:18 AM

I think he has the "gravitos" plus personality to give any of the Dem canidates a run for their money.We're talking about a different Thompson. Tommy Thompson was the governor of Wisconsin before Bush made him Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services in the first Bush term.

Fred Thompson has "gravitas." There's no such thing as "gravitos."

CC1
04-06-2007, 11:23 AM
We're talking about a different Thompson. Tommy Thompson was the governor of Wisconsin before Bush made him Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services in the first Bush term.

DUH!!! I know the two men. If you had read my first post I made a transition from Tommy Thompson to my Fred Thompson. I was being cute by making a play on the fact they share the same last name.

If you had read my posts you would have seen me comment that I know TT has an excellent reputation but that he did not impress me as as cabinent secretary for GWB.

Pressing-On
04-06-2007, 11:40 AM
This looks pretty across the Board for Fred.

March 29, 2007
Fred Thompson on Abortion

Posted by Jeremy at 3:40 PM
There seems to be controversy among conservatives as to whether former Senator Fred Thompson (R-TN) is conservative enough on abortion for them to support his potential candidacy for president. The controversy isn't over whether some agreed-upon position is conservative enough, however. There doesn't seem to be much agreement on what the former senator's views even are. DaveG at Race 4 2008 has an excellent presentation of what we can know from what the senator has said.

It turns out that he is pro-choice but moderately so. DaveG misdescribes the position as moderately pro-life, but that's inaccurate. The pro-life position is that abortion is generally wrong, with perhaps some very rare exceptions like rape, incest, and to save the life of the mother (on which I have some pointed thoughts here). The pro-choice view, on the other hand, considers abortion to be ok in a significant number of circumstances, even if it's thoroughly immoral in others. Thompson's view is like the view of former Governor Bill Weld of Massachusetts and former Senator George Allen of Virginia. He thinks first-trimester abortions are perfectly fine, and anything after that is wrong. He thus takes the view Roe v. Wade once took, one that the Supreme Court significantly expanded in later cases. I find it extremely hard to count that view as pro-life in the sense that the vast majority of pro-lifers consider themselves pro-life.

It's easy to be confused on this, since Thompson is a judicial conservative who thinks Roe v. Wade was wrongly decided on the merits of the case. He probably doesn't think the Constitution guarantees a right to abortion at all. He has indicated that he would be happy to see the decision reversed and turned it over to the states. But that's not because he agrees with pro-lifers on the policy issue. The policy he would want states to take is to allow abortion in the first trimester. That is a pro-choice view, even if it's not as far along the pro-choice spectrum as, say, Rudy Giuliani's position. If it's not a view that he'd want to apply on the federal level, this will make pro-life voters feel a little better about him, and I'd like to verify that this is indeed his view on where abortion policy should be decided. It will not, however, be enough to count him as pro-life in every practical way that a president can be, since he may well think it's ok to use federal money to fund stem-cell research. He might think that issue can indeed be settled at the federal level, since it involves federal money.

So it's true that someone who is moderately pro-choice in the way that Thompson is would end up agreeing with pro-lifers on most abortion-related legislation that comes before the Senate, at least most legislation that came before the Senate in the days before embryonic stem-cell research (where Thompson will indeed disagree very strongly with someone who is fully pro-life, as Mitt Romney now is). It's possible that on most cases related to abortion Thompson would make pro-lifers pretty happy as a moderately pro-choice president. But he would not make pro-lifers as happy as Mitt Romney would. If he's going to take any votes away from leading candidates in this race, it's not likely to include many from Romney once it's clear where the two candidates stand. It's more likely that he'll take votes away from Rudy Giuliani, who is far less moderate in his pro-choice views, even if his judicial conservatism and "leave it for the states" view on abortion will at least give pro-lifers something to be happy about. But there's a clear hierarchy among these three candidates in terms of who is going to be more attractive to pro-life voters on the issue of abortion. Thompson is closer to what pro-life voters want than Giuliani is, but he's not as close as Romney is.

http://parablemania.ektopos.com/archives/2007/03/fred_thompson_o.html

Pressing-On
04-06-2007, 11:43 AM
We're talking about a different Thompson. Tommy Thompson was the governor of Wisconsin before Bush made him Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services in the first Bush term.

Sorry, I pulled up the wrong info. Renda is going to delete post 12.

The Mrs
04-06-2007, 11:44 AM

He is a preacher in CA.

And one of Sis. Freeman's grandsons. :winkgrin

He is one of the sweetest guys I've had the pleasure of knowing. Both him and his wife! :thumbsup

Chan
04-06-2007, 11:49 AM
DUH!!! I know the two men. If you had read my first post I made a transition from Tommy Thompson to my Fred Thompson. I was being cute by making a play on the fact they share the same last name.

If you had read my posts you would have seen me comment that I know TT has an excellent reputation but that he did not impress me as as cabinent secretary for GWB.I read posts in order and respond accordingly. The post to which I responded said NOTHING about you knowing about Tommy Thompson. I know you think you were being "cute" by playing on the fact that both men have the same last name.

Chan
04-06-2007, 11:50 AM
There's no reason to delete CC1s post (Post #12).

Ferd
04-06-2007, 12:06 PM
This looks pretty across the Board for Fred.

March 29, 2007
Fred Thompson on Abortion

Posted by Jeremy at 3:40 PM
There seems to be controversy among conservatives as to whether former Senator Fred Thompson (R-TN) is conservative enough on abortion for them to support his potential candidacy for president. The controversy isn't over whether some agreed-upon position is conservative enough, however. There doesn't seem to be much agreement on what the former senator's views even are. DaveG at Race 4 2008 has an excellent presentation of what we can know from what the senator has said.

It turns out that he is pro-choice but moderately so. DaveG misdescribes the position as moderately pro-life, but that's inaccurate. The pro-life position is that abortion is generally wrong, with perhaps some very rare exceptions like rape, incest, and to save the life of the mother (on which I have some pointed thoughts here). The pro-choice view, on the other hand, considers abortion to be ok in a significant number of circumstances, even if it's thoroughly immoral in others. Thompson's view is like the view of former Governor Bill Weld of Massachusetts and former Senator George Allen of Virginia. He thinks first-trimester abortions are perfectly fine, and anything after that is wrong. He thus takes the view Roe v. Wade once took, one that the Supreme Court significantly expanded in later cases. I find it extremely hard to count that view as pro-life in the sense that the vast majority of pro-lifers consider themselves pro-life.

It's easy to be confused on this, since Thompson is a judicial conservative who thinks Roe v. Wade was wrongly decided on the merits of the case. He probably doesn't think the Constitution guarantees a right to abortion at all. He has indicated that he would be happy to see the decision reversed and turned it over to the states. But that's not because he agrees with pro-lifers on the policy issue. The policy he would want states to take is to allow abortion in the first trimester. That is a pro-choice view, even if it's not as far along the pro-choice spectrum as, say, Rudy Giuliani's position. If it's not a view that he'd want to apply on the federal level, this will make pro-life voters feel a little better about him, and I'd like to verify that this is indeed his view on where abortion policy should be decided. It will not, however, be enough to count him as pro-life in every practical way that a president can be, since he may well think it's ok to use federal money to fund stem-cell research. He might think that issue can indeed be settled at the federal level, since it involves federal money.

So it's true that someone who is moderately pro-choice in the way that Thompson is would end up agreeing with pro-lifers on most abortion-related legislation that comes before the Senate, at least most legislation that came before the Senate in the days before embryonic stem-cell research (where Thompson will indeed disagree very strongly with someone who is fully pro-life, as Mitt Romney now is). It's possible that on most cases related to abortion Thompson would make pro-lifers pretty happy as a moderately pro-choice president. But he would not make pro-lifers as happy as Mitt Romney would. If he's going to take any votes away from leading candidates in this race, it's not likely to include many from Romney once it's clear where the two candidates stand. It's more likely that he'll take votes away from Rudy Giuliani, who is far less moderate in his pro-choice views, even if his judicial conservatism and "leave it for the states" view on abortion will at least give pro-lifers something to be happy about. But there's a clear hierarchy among these three candidates in terms of who is going to be more attractive to pro-life voters on the issue of abortion. Thompson is closer to what pro-life voters want than Giuliani is, but he's not as close as Romney is.

http://parablemania.ektopos.com/archives/2007/03/fred_thompson_o.html

I think Fred Thompsons view on Abortion (which i have heard him talk about) is the best possible view to move the debate in the direction of Life.

It is far better than living with Roe and it is the best way to move the debate out of the courts and out of the halls of congress.

Ferd
04-06-2007, 12:07 PM
He is a preacher in CA.

And one of Sis. Freeman's grandsons. :winkgrin

He is one of the sweetest guys I've had the pleasure of knowing. Both him and his wife! :thumbsup

smart alec

The Mrs
04-06-2007, 01:05 PM
smart alec

You forgot to add this: :smack

LadyRev
04-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Its TOMMY Thompson people....

Who cares about FRED??? :ignore

This thread is about TOMMY! Wanna talk FRED, go start your own thread! (Especially you TN wackos! Home of Al Gore...nuff said!) :D

sherr34
04-06-2007, 03:34 PM
I think Tommy Thompson would make a great President

Pressing-On
04-06-2007, 03:42 PM

This thread is about TOMMY! Wanna talk FRED, go start your own thread! (Especially you TN wackos! Home of Al Gore...nuff said!) :D

:toofunny :toofunny :toofunny

I have no idea who Tommy is.

CC1
04-06-2007, 05:35 PM

I would like to think that TN could make it up to the world for giving them Al Gore by giving them Fred Thompson!!!!

HeavenlyOne
04-06-2007, 09:49 PM
A little info.

Wrong Thompson, PO. LOL!

Pressing-On
04-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Wrong Thompson, PO. LOL!

I know it, HO. Did you know I didn't notice that until this afternoon!!!!

I think the ADD/ADHD thread is getting to me.

HeavenlyOne
04-06-2007, 09:51 PM

of the top of my head I think he is pro-abortion. I dont think he is a tax and spend guy but I dont know that he is a committed tax cutter.

TT is a moderate in the real since. not a conservitive on some issues and liberal on others. he is more of a middle road guy all around if memory serves...

he also has some baggage as there are (i dont remember what) some bad press stuff that surround his time as head of homland security. I think maybe some issues with spending money for lavish meals and such (out of the norm)

I would like to know more. The news here doesn't seem to be saying anything about what he stands for.

HeavenlyOne
04-06-2007, 09:52 PM

ROFL!!

Leave it to LR!

HeavenlyOne
04-06-2007, 09:53 PM
I know it, HO. Did you know I didn't notice that until this afternoon!!!!

I think the ADD/ADHD thread is getting to me.

I haven't been online since last night, so I'm desperately trying to catch up! :D

Pressing-On
04-06-2007, 09:56 PM
I haven't been online since last night, so I'm desperately trying to catch up! :D

I've had Fred on my brain! When I saw Thompson, well, it was just Fred. Sorry to mess up your thread!

HeavenlyOne
04-06-2007, 10:01 PM
I've had Fred on my brain! When I saw Thompson, well, it was just Fred. Sorry to mess up your thread!

LOL!

That's ok. I don't know Fred either!

CC1
04-06-2007, 10:03 PM
It is mostly my fault for turning this into a Fred Thompson thread rather than the Tommy Thompson one it started out as.

However I really, really like Fred so I am not sorry!!!!!

Pressing-On
04-06-2007, 10:04 PM
LOL!

That's ok. I don't know Fred either!

Pressing-On
04-06-2007, 10:04 PM
It is mostly my fault for turning this into a Fred Thompson thread rather than the Tommy Thompson one it started out as.

However I really, really like Fred so I am not sorry!!!!!

Yes, I believe it was your fault! :toofunny

Pressing-On
04-06-2007, 10:18 PM
According to the table on the Gallup web page, three weeks ago the top Republicans were:

Giuliani - 44

McCain - 20

Gingrich - 9

Romney - 8

Tommy Thompson - 2

Brownback - 1

Fred Thompson was not even listed.

In the poll which was in the field last week the new lineup is:

Giuliani - 31 (-13)

McCain - 22 (+ 2)

Fred Thompson - 12 (+12)

Gingrich - 8 (- 1)

Romney - 3 (- 5)

Brownback - 3 (+2)

Tommy Thompson - 2 ( - )

:dogkiss

Neck
04-07-2007, 02:50 AM
What do you all think?

I could back him be climbs in the race. He has raised only 400,000 to date.

He was our best Gov...

Nathan Eckstadt
Oak Creek, WI

HeavenlyOne
04-07-2007, 11:44 AM
I could back him be climbs in the race. He has raised only 400,000 to date.

He was our best Gov...

Nathan Eckstadt
Oak Creek, WI

Maybe you can help out here in getting his standards known. I don't know anything about him.

Pressing-On
04-07-2007, 11:57 AM

There's no reason to delete CC1s post (Post #12).

Maybe you can help out here in getting his standards known. I don't know anything about him.

HO,
I see that my thread had been deleted before Chancellor responded to this. I got confused over the Fred and Tommy name and had Renda delete it.

Here it is again and what I think you are looking for. Again, sorry for not being more careful!

http://www.ontheissues.org/Tommy_Thompson.htm

HeavenlyOne
04-07-2007, 12:16 PM
HO,
I see that my thread had been deleted before Chancellor responded to this. I got confused over the Fred and Tommy name and had Renda delete it.

Here it is again and what I think you are looking for. Again, sorry for not being more careful!

Thanks. Wish it was able to be posted in complete form so people wouldn't have to click a link. Ah well. Thanks again though. I appreciate it.

Pressing-On
04-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks. Wish it was able to be posted in complete form so people wouldn't have to click a link. Ah well. Thanks again though. I appreciate it.

Actually when I first posted it, I put out the fine points. Now, I linked it. LOL!

Pressing-On
04-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Tommy Thompson on the issues:

On Abortion:

* Both pro-life and pro-stem cell research. (Jul 2001)
* Legal abortion only for rape, incest, or mother's health. (Jan 2001)
* Ban partial birth abortions. (Dec 2000)

Budget and Economy

* Build the roads and the jobs follow. (Jan 2001)
* Vetoed 255 spending bills totalling $43M. (Dec 2000)
* Let state meat inspection suffice for interstate shipments. (Jul 2000)
* Foster dairy production that is market driven. (Feb 1998)

Crime

* Building more prisons reduces the crime rate. (Jan 2001)
* Give prisoners a work ethic, and substance-abuse programs. (Jan 2001)
* Two strikes and you’re out for serious child sex crimes. (Jan 2001)
* Three strikes and you’re out for felony convictions. (Jan 2001)
* Zero tolerance approach to crime. (Dec 2000)
* Truth in Sentencing, no exceptions. (Dec 2000)
* Life means life, no possibility of parole. (Dec 2000)
* All felons will serve complete prison sentence. (Feb 1997)

Drugs

* Created alternative to prison for 1st time drug offenders. (Jan 2001)
* More resources to target meth production. (Dec 2000)
* More federal funding for all aspects of Drug War. (Aug 2000)

Education

* Let’s eradicate illiteracy in Wisconsin. (Jan 2001)
* Choice and local accountability are keys to good schools. (Jan 2001)
* End Social Promotion; establish standards instead. (Dec 2000)
School Choice
* Use Milwaukee charters & private choice as model for US. (Jan 2001)
* Created the nation’s first private school choice program. (Dec 2000)
* Instituted $5,100 vouchers for religious schools. (Dec 2000)
* Instituted statewide Charter School system. (Dec 2000)
* School choice has made a difference for low-income families. (Jan 1999)

Energy and Oil

* More power plants and more transmission lines. (Jan 2001)
* Great emission reduction achieved with voluntary program. (Jan 2001)
* Voluntary partnerships reduce greenhouse gases economically. (Aug 2000)
* Kyoto Treaty must include reductions by all countries. (Aug 2000)

Environment

* Funded $170M in “conservation easement” land purchases. (Dec 2000)
* Replace MTBE in gasoline with cleaner ethanol. (May 2000)
* More EPA flexibility on interstate ozone. (May 1998)

Families and Children

* Demand child support or fathers face jail. (Aug 1995)
* Maintain federal welfare funding for child support. (Jun 1999)
* Keep TANF program focused on family welfare, not other tasks. (Mar 1999)

Free Trade

* Strong trade policies help keep state economy strong. (Jan 2001)
* Ease Canadian border-crossing rules. (May 1998)
* Grant fast-track authority to the President. (Nov 1999)

Government Reform

* More regional cooperation; more e-government. (Jan 2001)
* Common sense over “government sense”. (Aug 1995)

Gun Control

* Against gun control. (May 2001)
* Zero tolerance for guns, violence, drugs in schools. (Jan 2001)

Health Care

* Supports eliminating racial and ethnic disparities in health. (Jul 2001)
* Vows to protect Medicare, add drug benefit. (Feb 2001)
* Support small business insurance pool for uninsured. (Jan 2001)
* Goal is for all WI residents to have health benefits. (Jan 2001)
* Supports prescription drug savings plan for poor seniors. (Jan 2000)
* BadgerCare will provide uninsured with affordable care. (Dec 1998)
* Let states reform Medicaid; fight “one size fits all”. (Aug 1995)
* Maintain Medicare funding of HMO benefits. (Oct 1999)
* Protect state tobacco settlement funds from federal seizure. (Apr 1999)

Homeland Security

* Maintain vigilance against terrorism. (Oct 2001)
* 24-hour-a-day war on bioterrorism. (Oct 2001)

Immigration

Ease Canadian border-crossing rules. (Oct 1999)

Jobs

* State instead of federal rules for animal operations. (Nov 1999)
* Immediate federal assistance for farm crisis. (Sep 1999)

Religion

* Religious affiliation: Catholic. (Nov 2000)

Tax Reform

* Cut taxes 91 times in Wisconsin, totaling $16.7 billion. (Jan 2001)
* Tax cuts are an investment in working families. (Jan 2001)
* No national sales tax or VAT. (Feb 2000)

Technology

*Don’t let one high tech company escape Wisconsin. (Jan 2001)

War and Peace

* Saddam starved Iraqi people of basic health care. (Feb 2004)

Welfare and Poverty

* Replace welfare program with self-sufficiency program. (Jan 2001)
* Replace Welfare with the Tools to Succeed. (Dec 2000)
* Early leader in welfare reform. (Dec 2000)
* No government handouts; demand something in return. (Aug 1995)
* Supports block grants to foster state experimentation. (Aug 1995)
* Support LIHEAP, low-income heating assistance. (May 2000)

HeavenlyOne
04-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks, PO.