PDA

View Full Version : The Library

Esther
02-09-2007, 10:17 AM
This is a place you can post articles to read and books you would recommend.

LadyChocolate
02-11-2007, 08:37 PM
okay, I am not sure if the contents have to be "christian" or not but: I really enjoy reading Clive Cussler. His books ( audio for me) are incredible.. and for the most part, they have no cursing. "The Treasure of Khan" was great!!! They are filled with lots of adventure and history! He is a great writer...

Rhoni
02-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Mitch Albom, for one more day is a very good book , as well as his other book; Tuesdays with Morrie. They are easy reads but so applicable to many situations in life.

Blessings, Rhoni

LadyChocolate
02-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Mitch Albom, for one more day is a very good book , as well as his other book; Tuesdays with Morrie. They are easy reads but so applicable to many situations in life.

Blessings, Rhoni

I've been wanting to read this book and I was wondering what others thought about it!

AGAPE
02-14-2007, 01:07 PM
okay, I am not sure if the contents have to be "christian" or not but: I really enjoy reading Clive Cussler. His books ( audio for me) are incredible.. and for the most part, they have no cursing. "The Treasure of Khan" was great!!! They are filled with lots of adventure and history! He is a great writer...

What kind of writer is Clive Cussler?
I've noticed his books in the store, but have never read one.
I like to read some easy fiction every once in awhile like
Louis L'Amour, Elmer Kelton, Clarence Mulford, Zane Grey, Max Brand,
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Agathia Christi, Sir Walter Scott, etc.

Malvaro
02-14-2007, 01:19 PM

Clive Cussler is a real-life treasure hunter who writes fiction with Dirk Pitt as the main character of each of his books.... in each of his stories, Dirk (who is also a treasure hunter) goes after some precious historical object and is an Indiana Jones type person.....

Clive Cussler was apart of the team that found and salvaged the Civil War submarine vessel quite a few years ago.... hes a successful author who has like a million books out.... he usually writes one every year or so....

LadyChocolate
02-14-2007, 10:10 PM

Clive Cussler is a real-life treasure hunter who writes fiction with Dirk Pitt as the main character of each of his books.... in each of his stories, Dirk (who is also a treasure hunter) goes after some precious historical object and is an Indiana Jones type person.....

Clive Cussler was apart of the team that found and salvaged the Civil War submarine vessel quite a few years ago.... hes a successful author who has like a million books out.... he usually writes one every year or so....

thanks for answering this. I have found his books to be most interesting... with the mix of truth and fiction, they are great! I prefer the more romatic books (christian based of course). But we don't go on a trip without a new clive cussler.
Dirk Pitt is usually his main character but he also has stories with Juan Cabrillo.... I enjoy both...The politics of today play alot with his stories and I find it fascinating how he ties the past in with things going on today! And btw, he is usually very clean, not much cursing or risque scenes.

True Believer
02-28-2007, 07:25 PM

I LOVE Zane Grey! I like Agathia Christi and Sir ACD also. I have read a few of Louis L'Amour. I also like Phyllis Whitney. I have read everything she has written for adults. (some a couple of times) Usually no swearing and very clean. Victoria Holt is also good.

Felicity
03-01-2007, 12:03 AM
What I like to read....

I read a Clive Cussler book with high recommendations from a poster friend a few years back but to be honest I wasn't terribly captivated and have never bothered with another.

I loved James Michener's books - most of them anyhow. The first one I read was "Caravan" and I was hooked after that. :)

I love true adventure stories. Ever read any of the stories about re-enacting voyages taken by ship hundreds of years ago? Awesome!!

Stories of pioneers who went into difficult places; for example Alaska and suffered terrible hardship trying to cope with the hardships life there handed out to people not used to that environment.

Stories of how the West was one. Stories about the Gold Rush or how the Pacific Canadian railway was built or about the Europeans and Asians who have come to Canada and made a life here. Real life stories.

I like historical fiction.

I like stories set in other cultures and foreign countries ..... especially if they're based on fact.

I don't like cheesy romance thank you very much. :nah :)

Felicity
03-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Speaking of True Adventure stories I'm reading a book right now called ........

"Wild Men, Wild Alaska" by Rocky McElveen.

I'm enjoying it SO much. This guy was one of Alaska's foremost hunting and fishing guides. He was the son of an Alaskan missionary and a seminary graduate.

"For twenty years he has been a professional guide in that state. His knowledge of the primitive frontier along with his warm, hospitable manner adds an unprecedented dimension to his credentials as a master fishing and registered hunting guide.

He is esteemed as a friend by many who have been under his guide: Pres. George Bush, Sr.; General Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager; Major League Baseball player Dave Dravecky; Bob Seiple, president of World Vision; Pastor Chuck Swindoll, and Oakland A's pitcher Mike Moore to name only a few."

I recommend the book. I think you'd enjoy it as much as I am if you have a liking for this kind of writing and real life adventure stories like I do.

Felicity
03-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Speaking of True Adventure stories I'm reading a book right now called ........

"Wild Men, Wild Alaska" by Rocky McElveen.

I'm enjoying it SO much. This guy was one of Alaska's foremost hunting and fishing guides. He was the son of an Alaskan missionary and a seminary graduate.

"For twenty years he has been a professional guide in that state. His knowledge of the primitive frontier along with his warm, hospitable manner adds an unprecedented dimension to his credentials as a master fishing and registered hunting guide.

He is esteemed as a friend by many who have been under his guide: Pres. George Bush, Sr.; General Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager; Major League Baseball player Dave Dravecky; Bob Seiple, president of World Vision; Pastor Chuck Swindoll, and Oakland A's pitcher Mike Moore to name only a few."

I recommend the book. I think you'd enjoy it as much as I am if you have a liking for this kind of writing and real life adventure stories like I do.

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/3166/078521772x01aa240sclzzzoi3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Check this out .... "Wild Men, Wild Alaska". (http://www.wildmenwildalaska.com/)

:)

chosenbyone
03-04-2007, 08:51 PM
I've always enjoyed reading about the pioneers of our faith. One of my favorite writers in our movement who chronicled many of those pioneers through her writing was Mary Wallace. I have several of her books in my library like, God answers Prayer, Profiles of Pentecostal Missionaries and Old-Time Preacher Men.

Reading about the adventures of great missionaries like E. Ellis, D. Sheets and F. Scott inspired me and gave me faith that nothing was impossible when you follow the call of God.

My favorite and most meaningful read in my collection would be Gene Edwards, A Tale of Three Kings. It brought a new awareness that being broken sometimes was required in order to bring forth healing.

Felicity
03-04-2007, 09:13 PM
I've read each of those. :thumbsup

D&J
03-08-2007, 11:43 AM
The Making of a Man of God by Alan Redpath is an awesome study on the life of David and should be required reading for those desiring to do a work for God. It hits "below the belt" at times but it is an eyeopener in a lot of areas!!

Esther
03-09-2007, 01:30 PM
I've always enjoyed reading about the pioneers of our faith. One of my favorite writers in our movement who chronicled many of those pioneers through her writing was Mary Wallace. I have several of her books in my library like, God answers Prayer, Profiles of Pentecostal Missionaries and Old-Time Preacher Men.

Reading about the adventures of great missionaries like E. Ellis, D. Sheets and F. Scott inspired me and gave me faith that nothing was impossible when you follow the call of God.

My favorite and most meaningful read in my collection would be Gene Edwards, A Tale of Three Kings. It brought a new awareness that being broken sometimes was required in order to bring forth healing.

I love those as well. :)

Esther
03-09-2007, 01:31 PM
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/3166/078521772x01aa240sclzzzoi3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Check this out .... "Wild Men, Wild Alaska". (http://www.wildmenwildalaska.com/)

:)

I should consider getting this for my husband.