PDA

View Full Version : The Life Testimony of an Aussie Brother -Long Read

supertone
01-26-2011, 01:29 AM
To start with I guess I was raised in a Catholic household by my mother. We didn't go to church all that often but we kept a few crosses and Mary type statues and pictures around the house. As a little kid I guess I believed in Jesus but going into my teenage years my faith had gone and I was a very rebelious teenager.

We had an older lady that lived in the granny flat in our backyard who also helped raise my sister and I. She passed away from cancer when I was 16 years old and that really set me off on a bad path of violent, angry behaviour. I wasn't as bad as many others but I think it was more luck than anything else that I didn't go to jail or get mixed up with drugs. I now know that the Lord had better plans for my life.

At about the same time, I had a very good friend who had an angel visitation at about 16 years old and changed his life around immediately. It was kind of funny really... I treated him like rubbish and said so many vile, mean things to him just because of his faith and he always yet remained my friend and treated me well. I know that he always kept me in his prayers too. The Lord has blessed him abundantly ever since!

After about two years, he finally convinced me to attend a UPC service. I don't really remember how I was treated by the people that night but in the middle of the service I actually did pray earnestly to God for some sort of enlightenment. I felt a change in my life but it certainly wasn't salvation. I was no longer a non-believer but not really convinced either. I just didn't know.

The next few years were actually the worst of my life. I graduated high school with very poor grades and ended up employed in a string of low paying jobs with poor conditions etc... At this time alcohol had taken a hold of me and a bout of depression took hold. The time came when I had about ten dollars to my name and was basically begging my friends for food that I swallowed my pride and asked to move into my father's house.

I had met my father when I was a teenager and we had a decent relationship. I was welcomed into his house, even though he wasn't doing too well financially at the time having just lost his new business due to a bad investment. It was at this time that we started talking about my future career options and he persuaded me to join the military.

I applied the next day at the recruiting centre but the recruiter wouldn't accept my application. My grades were good enough to get into the Air Force but obviously not good enough to be competitive. I was still picking up bits and pieces of work and enrolled in a few courses to get the qualifications to join the military. All in all it took me half a year to get in but I ended up getting on the bus to join in March of 2000.

I did well in my military training and won awards and got my first choice of posting. I had made some new friends and I'm sure that on the outside things looked good but I was still suffering from some serious depression and it was about to get a whole lot worse!

I started becoming extremely intense about anything and everything in my personal life and had virtually pushed everyone away from me. I suffered sever anxiety attacks and ended up in hospital and reliant on several different anti-depressent medications. It seemed that my military career was about to end when it should have just gotten started.

The darkest day occured when I was drinking with a friend one day. I was very emotional and in one moment I thought it would all be just easier if it ended. I took my whole bottle of prescription pils and washed them down with lots of beer. Once again, the grace of God was on my life as when I woke up, there were no long term ill-effects. I had been unconscious for over 24 hours and I had completely trashed the house in my messed up state. It was truly a horrific experience as much as an enlightening one.

I got off the medication straight away after that and whilst I was still suffering, I was doing a little better. This lasted for about another year and a half until a friend came and visited me. I was living about 400 miles from home and this friend was staying the night to break a road trip that he was doing. It was the most unlikely night as we stayed up talking about Jesus and he had the right answers for each of my questions. I was sold on the idea! It was about Christmas time of 2002 and I went down to the Bible shop and bought one.

I opened up the New Testament to Matthew and started reading. I don't know how to explain it but whilst reading the book, it seemed to make the words actually come to life. The words honestly had a supernatural effect on me and to this moment it is the moment that I believe that I must've been supernaturally healed of my four odd years of depression. To prove this, only the day before I was reading the Bible I was making a list of songs that I wanted played at my funeral. Those thoughts vanished the very next day.

I read and read the Bible and was loving it. I then contacted my old friend who took me to church some five years earlier about where I should worship. I didn't want to go to a UPC church because I honestly thought that they were all weirdos but his reply to me was if I wanted to follow the truth or not. He then gave me the name and number of a guy running a home ministry about 30 miles away and I started attending a fellowship of him, his wife and myself.

I had some really good times with him and to this day I am still very grateful for the time he put into helping me learn the teachings of the Bible. I was baptised in Jesus' name about a month or so later but I had two supernatural experiences in the days leading up to my baptism which helped confirm my faith.

I'm not sure if these two incidents were spiritual attacks or not but they were notworthy events leading up to my water baptism. Firstly, I had an experience when I opened the boot of my car and I spotted two black scorpions that crawled under some folded up cardboard boxes in the boot. It first shocked me because we don't have wild scorpions in that area of Australia and secondly because I couldn't find them again... to this day I still don't know what that means. Secondly, the night before I went to a friends birthday dinner the night before my baptism and there were four of us there (all the others were non-believers). We were all sitting around the table and I had just finished my can of soda. After I put it down, it started shaking and moving over the table. I showed the others and they all agreed that it was weird, however they continued with their discussion with no further regard of it. That was the moment that I realised that there is a great spiritual blindness in the world and to me reveals the supernatural act of the Lord's salvation and having faith in him. Praise God!!!

In my service I moved to a different state and met a great girl from the UPC later on down the line and we married in 2004. I was set to go on a tour of Iraq at about this time but the Lord had sovereign reign and I was able to be excused from the duty. This was another blessing to our family as my son was born one year after my wedding. He would never have been concieved if I had gone on that tour. My career has since flourished and I've become an equivilent to a Sergeant First Class in the Royal Australian Air Force. I believe that the Lord has also guided and blessed me throughout.

Now for the bad side of my life during my time of faith. In the eight years that I've called myself a Christian, I've had a lot of issues that I've not been able to overcome. At most times, I've had a great walk but at others, I've had many oppressing things that I've struggled with. I suffer a lot from pride, anger, unforgiveness and at times have relapsed into drinking too much alcohol. My wife and I split for about half a year but have since reunited which is brilliant. I need prayer to overcome all these things but I also need prayer for one more thing in particular. Please pray for me to love the Lord more. I'm sure the rest will follow once I can earnestly join in a loving relationship with Jesus. Please, please pray for my heart to be open to him and his word and to pray more zealously with him. Thanks for your time in reading this.

Jesus love,

Supertone

jen4yeshua
01-26-2011, 05:58 AM
Hi Supertone,
Praying for you. And for your family.
Happy Australia Day!!!

Cindy
01-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Supertone, we all struggle in this life. Some just more than others. But, God is faithful. Will keep you in my prayers.

Falla39
01-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Supertone,
God sees the desire of your heart! Just keep desiring more of GOD! Don't allow
the enemy to suggest that it would be better to just give up! There is a passage
of scripture in Micah 7:8 that says:

Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit
in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me.

Falla39

supertone
01-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the prayers and encouragement guys! :)

BroMatt
01-27-2011, 01:36 AM
Thanks for sharing your story. You are in my prayers.