PDA

View Full Version : Religious Police in Canada...are we next?

Praxeas
05-08-2007, 05:44 PM
TORONTO — Religious police shut a Canadian Embassy booth and another for a Montreal private college at a Saudi Arabia fair last week allegedly because they were being run by women, the globeandmail.com reports.
Click here to read the full story.

"From what I hear ... the religious police were very rude,” said George Chrysomilides, president of the Canadian Education Network, adding that the booths have been part of the event for 10 years and staffers have never encountered such problems.

“They shouted at them in a way that was disrespectful and they shut down the booth, the Canadian Embassy booth as well as the LaSalle College booth," Chrysomilides said.

Organizers for the Canadian contingent said the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice forced the three women staffing the booths to leave the fair, even though they had been cleared to attend.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270720,00.html

Praxeas
05-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Ugh...I guess this happened in Saudi Arabia, not Toronto Canada

Chan
05-09-2007, 08:16 AM
TORONTO — Religious police shut a Canadian Embassy booth and another for a Montreal private college at a Saudi Arabia fair last week allegedly because they were being run by women, the globeandmail.com reports.
Click here to read the full story.

"From what I hear ... the religious police were very rude,” said George Chrysomilides, president of the Canadian Education Network, adding that the booths have been part of the event for 10 years and staffers have never encountered such problems.

“They shouted at them in a way that was disrespectful and they shut down the booth, the Canadian Embassy booth as well as the LaSalle College booth," Chrysomilides said.

Organizers for the Canadian contingent said the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice forced the three women staffing the booths to leave the fair, even though they had been cleared to attend.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270720,00.html
I didn't think Canada had religious police. Now, since this occurred in Saudi Arabia, let me ask:

How were the women dressed?

Praxeas
05-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Read the article, it says they were dressed according to their laws

Chan
05-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Read the article, it says they were dressed according to their lawsIf they were dressed according to Saudi law, I don't see any justification for the protestations against them.