PDA

View Full Version : High Bandwidth Usage

Cindy
10-09-2011, 01:35 PM
I have satellite high speed internet. The last two months I am exceeding my bandwidth usage. I have Wild Blue through DirecTV, since I am in a rural area, there aren't many choices. I don't understand why I suddenly have this problem. I don't really do anything different than I have before. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I am very internet speak illiterate, so please tell me like you would tell a dummy.:D

AncientPaths
10-09-2011, 02:18 PM
I have satellite high speed internet. The last two months I am exceeding my bandwidth usage. I have Wild Blue through DirecTV, since I am in a rural area, there aren't many choices. I don't understand why I suddenly have this problem. I don't really do anything different than I have before. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I am very internet speak illiterate, so please tell me like you would tell a dummy.:D

Any details on what you are exceeding and by how much? Any specifics on your bill?

seguidordejesus
10-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Maybe the cows in the pasture are watching old Chickfila commercials?

(we at seguidordejesus, inc. sincerely hope this comment was helpful ;))

MusicMaster
10-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Some companies have capped bandwidth usages on high usage customers.

Surfing, Email, and Facebook doesn't take all that much. It's the amount of streaming content that will get you over the top quick.

So far, they haven't charged us extra on the bill yet. AT&T says we would get a notice we were crossing the line excessively before charging extra.

Rather than risk going higher on the bill, we just cut back on Netflix watching and watch more stuff on DVD's.

Our connection runs extremely slow though sometimes so I know they have pegged us as high usage and slowed down our DSL connection. :(

Praxeas
10-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Did you always have a bandwidth limit? maybe you were on a trial period. Did u scan for viruses and other malware?
Maybe you have adware or spyware that is sending information out

Cindy
10-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Did you always have a bandwidth limit? maybe you were on a trial period. Did u scan for viruses and other malware?
Maybe you have adware or spyware that is sending information out

That I don't know, I have the highest package that you can get. It is usually my upload that is high. I do not view videos but I do use Facebook and play FarmVille. That is what the techs say is causing my problem. I will scan for viruses and malware. I use AVG for virus protection.

Margies3
10-09-2011, 03:31 PM
I would recommend downloading Malware Bytes (do a google search for it. you can get it free). It finds lots of stuff that my virus checker does not. (my computer geeks who work on my computer recommended it to me) Any of the rest of you use that?

Praxeas
10-09-2011, 03:45 PM
That I don't know, I have the highest package that you can get. It is usually my upload that is high. I do not view videos but I do use Facebook and play FarmVille. That is what the techs say is causing my problem. I will scan for viruses and malware. I use AVG for virus protection.
If your upload is high then you are sending out a lot of data

Download Malwarebytes antimalware. Install and allow to update and scan. Scan on quick scan.Don't scan with avg

Download superantispyware too and run it after

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

Cindy
10-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Maybe the cows in the pasture are watching old Chickfila commercials?

(we at seguidordejesus, inc. sincerely hope this comment was helpful ;))

:heeheehee

No cows, only goats and chickens.

Cindy
10-09-2011, 05:28 PM
All that was found was Adware tracking cookies by spyware. 519 threats detected and removed.

Praxeas
10-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Did you do as we suggested and download Malwarebytes AntiMalware program and superantispyware?

Cindy
10-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Did you do as we suggested and download Malwarebytes AntiMalware program and superantispyware?

Yes, and superantispyware is what found the adware. No other problems detected. My AVG runs every day.

canam
10-09-2011, 09:50 PM
maybe someone in the nieghborhood has or is stealing your signal because your not locked down or someone has your passsword in either case they could be doing a "park and surf" and downloading stuff on your signal.

Praxeas
10-10-2011, 01:18 AM
Get a firewall like comodo or zonealarm and keep track of incoming and outgoing traffic

Cindy
10-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Do I need to disable my Windows firewall? And is Comodo compatible with Firefox? I will not use Zone Alarm, it had really bad reviews.

Cindy
10-10-2011, 08:52 AM
My sister's dish is next to mine, and she doesn't seem to have this problem. She is going directly through Wild Blue.

seekerman
10-10-2011, 10:14 AM
I had the Wildblue Pro package for about 5 years with a network share for both my wife and me and never exceeded the usage limits.

If I remember correctly, you can log onto your account and see the current usage for that month...that's what I'd do a couple of times a day and see what's being used for what you're doing. If the usage spikes on a certain day, you'll know what you were doing for that time instead of trying to remember a month later.

Next thing is to make sure someone isn't connected to any wireless routers you may have if you have really close neighbors. Someone could be using your bandwidth without you knowing it.

The daily check should tell you that if it's happening. For example, you know you weren't on the internet but for a short period of time on a certain day, didn't download anything, no media streaming but your usage that day is high. That would indicate to me that someone or something is using your bandwidth. Next step would be to completely disconnect your computer for a day (you could spend the time in prayer and fasting) and then check the usage the next day. If it's minimal, then probably no hacking into your router, it's something in your computer. Swap computers with your sister...that could help find the trouble.

Stuff like that could help pinpoint it.

Praxeas
10-10-2011, 01:09 PM
comodo works with everything. Its a little tricky to use though

Cindy
10-10-2011, 01:10 PM
comodo works with everything. Its a little tricky to use though

Prax, you know I am a dummy. But I am willing to try almost anything.

Cindy
10-10-2011, 01:26 PM
I had the Wildblue Pro package for about 5 years with a network share for both my wife and me and never exceeded the usage limits.

If I remember correctly, you can log onto your account and see the current usage for that month...that's what I'd do a couple of times a day and see what's being used for what you're doing. If the usage spikes on a certain day, you'll know what you were doing for that time instead of trying to remember a month later.

Next thing is to make sure someone isn't connected to any wireless routers you may have if you have really close neighbors. Someone could be using your bandwidth without you knowing it.

The daily check should tell you that if it's happening. For example, you know you weren't on the internet but for a short period of time on a certain day, didn't download anything, no media streaming but your usage that day is high. That would indicate to me that someone or something is using your bandwidth. Next step would be to completely disconnect your computer for a day (you could spend the time in prayer and fasting) and then check the usage the next day. If it's minimal, then probably no hacking into your router, it's something in your computer. Swap computers with your sister...that could help find the trouble.

Stuff like that could help pinpoint it.

I really wouldn't know where to start to do all of that. :)

Praxeas
10-10-2011, 08:23 PM
I haven't used comodo in a while but it shows you active connections. You can also, when you see your network icon showing activity, go to command prompt and type netstat

canam
10-10-2011, 09:41 PM
I really wouldn't know where to start to do all of that. :)

grab the nearest 8 year old they can do it for ya !

Digging4Truth
10-11-2011, 07:52 AM

Have you recently had some young'uns over that don't normally live there?

Do you have a wireless router? If so... are there neighbors nearby? They could be using your internet service.

Cindy
10-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Have you recently had some young'uns over that don't normally live there?

Do you have a wireless router? If so... are there neighbors nearby? They could be using your internet service.

No, and yes. Just the satellite dish.

Cindy
10-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Malwarebytes blocked an IP address from Korea. And I wasn't even online. Where can I find out if someone is sharing my IP address?

seekerman
10-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Malwarebytes blocked an IP address from Korea. And I wasn't even online. Where can I find out if someone is sharing my IP address?

Ok, I'm going to suggest a start once more. As I pointed out before, I was a WildBlue customer for a few years. You have the ability to monitor your bandwidth usage through the WildBlue website. If you don't know how, call WildBlue.

Wildblue will send you an email when you are at 80% of your usage and also 90% and also when you exceed it. You should be getting those so the excess usage shouldn't be a surprise.

If you aren't doing any of these things, call WildBlue. Tell them you want to see them.

That's a start.

Praxeas
10-11-2011, 01:51 PM
How do you know Malwarebytes blocked it? IPs blocked out of nations like Korea are usually bad

seguidordejesus
10-11-2011, 02:03 PM
How do you know Malwarebytes blocked it? IPs blocked out of nations like Korea are usually bad

South or North?

Cindy
10-11-2011, 02:32 PM

They did a pop up, so I checked it out. The IP addrees was from Korea. They tried 4 times, and I wasn't even online at the time.

Cindy
10-11-2011, 02:32 PM
South or North?

I didn't check that, does it really matter?

Cindy
10-11-2011, 02:33 PM
BTW someone on this forum that joined and never posted shares my IP address. Funny

Cindy
10-11-2011, 02:34 PM
They did a pop up, so I checked it out. The IP addrees was from Korea. They tried 4 times, and I wasn't even online at the time.

I should have done a screen shot, they were very thorough in info.

Praxeas
10-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Did you download the trial version of the full Malwarebytes program or just the free one?

Anyways, sharing an IP just means the person is in the same location/city as you

Cindy
10-11-2011, 02:39 PM
IP Address Locator: What Is My IP Address Find IP Location on IP Location Map
IP Address: 112.175.243.40
IP Host: 112.175.243.40
Find IP Address Location for 'My IP' 112.175.243.40
Continent: Asia (AS)
State: Seoul-tukpyolsi
City: Seoul
ISP: Korea Telecom
Organization: Korea Telecom
Time zone: Asia/Seoul
IP Address Lookup related for 'My IP' 112.175.243.40
Continent Lat/Lon: 29.8405 / 89.296
Country Lat/Lon: 37 / 127.5
City Lat/Lon: (37.5664) / (126.9997)
IP Language: Korean
IP Currency: Won

Cindy
10-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Did you download the trial version of the full Malwarebytes program or just the free one?

Anyways, sharing an IP just means the person is in the same location/city as you

Just the free one.

Yes, I knew that. Just didn't know anyone lived that close.

Cindy
10-11-2011, 02:42 PM
IP Address Locator: What Is My IP Address Find IP Location on IP Location Map
IP Address: 112.175.243.40
IP Host: 112.175.243.40
Find IP Address Location for 'My IP' 112.175.243.40
Continent: Asia (AS)
State: Seoul-tukpyolsi
City: Seoul
ISP: Korea Telecom
Organization: Korea Telecom
Time zone: Asia/Seoul
IP Address Lookup related for 'My IP' 112.175.243.40
Continent Lat/Lon: 29.8405 / 89.296
Country Lat/Lon: 37 / 127.5
City Lat/Lon: (37.5664) / (126.9997)
IP Language: Korean
IP Currency: Won

This was the IP address they blocked.

Praxeas
10-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Just the free one.

Yes, I knew that. Just didn't know anyone lived that close.
My free version of Malwarebytes never blocked an IP. It just scans when I tell it to for malware

Cindy
10-11-2011, 03:22 PM
My free version of Malwarebytes never blocked an IP. It just scans when I tell it to for malware

As far as I know I have the free version.

Praxeas
10-11-2011, 04:16 PM
u can check the logs and see

Praxeas
10-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah it appears you are using a trial of the full version.

BTW it may have blocked that site because of an attack like a DOS attack; Perhaps someone is sending packets to your PC and that is the problem

Do you have a firewall running?

houston
10-11-2011, 04:19 PM
aside from my 3 screen names, wonder if anyone shares the same IP... Hmm

Cindy
10-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Yeah it appears you are using a trial of the full version.

BTW it may have blocked that site because of an attack like a DOS attack; Perhaps someone is sending packets to your PC and that is the problem

Do you have a firewall running?

Yes, I have Windows firewall. I guess it's running.

Cindy
10-11-2011, 04:45 PM
aside from my 3 screen names, wonder if anyone shares the same IP... Hmm

Probably

Praxeas
10-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Yes, I have Windows firewall. I guess it's running.
check it to see what permissions it has given

Cindy
10-11-2011, 05:06 PM
check it to see what permissions it has given

Quite a few. Although I do find my old wireless internet service and LAN instead of WildBlue.

Praxeas
10-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Quite a few. Although I do find my old wireless internet service and LAN instead of WildBlue.
look at what programs it has allowed to go out and come in. Do you recognize them all?

Cindy
10-11-2011, 05:53 PM
look at what programs it has allowed to go out and come in. Do you recognize them all?

If you are talking about the exceptions, yes I do.

BeenThinkin
10-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Something is wrong when this Thread is the most exciting thread on AFF! :foottap :heeheehee :happydance :thumbsup

Been Thinkin

Cindy
10-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Something is wrong when this Thread is the most exciting thread on AFF! :foottap :heeheehee :happydance :thumbsup

Been Thinkin

:heeheehee