PDA

View Full Version : What's Going On In Dagwood's World?

Pages : [1] 2

Dagwood
10-27-2011, 04:12 PM
My own personal thread dedicated to none other than yours truly. Who knows? I might check in often or go a few days without. Nevertheless, I'll be around...

At the moment, I'm going to grab a bite to eat before heading out the door for the citizens police academy...

'Til we meet again...

Timmy
10-27-2011, 04:18 PM
My own personal thread dedicated to none other than yours truly. Who knows? I might check in often or go a few days without. Nevertheless, I'll be around...

At the moment, I'm going to grab a bite to eat before heading out the door for the citizens police academy...

'Til we meet again...

But what will you eat? Don't leave us hanging!

Scott Hutchinson
10-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Will you eat something that requires Gas X ?

Hoovie
10-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Oh Brother! (with a healthy dose of sarcasm)

houston
10-27-2011, 05:24 PM
what? your fb wall is bare, and you're going to post HERE???

Dagwood
10-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Well, I ate a PB&J sandwich at home only to discover a bunch of gourmet pizzas were delivered for class tonight from a new pizza place, Chef Tony's Pizza (http://cheftonysgourmetpizza.com/). Both rounds of supper were good, especially the pizza!

Nothing to take for any after-effects. I'm good, Scott! :)

Hooive, just admit you're jealous since the attention's all on me now... :heeheehee

Houston, you are correct. My wall is blank, but that doesn't mean I won't post there. I almost did post something while in class but decided against it to err on the side of safety. Learning about narcotics tonight sure opened my eyes to things I never realized. There were plenty of moments of humor and laughter as well. It's been a blast so far. Next week, we're taking a trip to the Medical Examiner's office. That will be interesting...

Dagwood
10-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Time for a little Rangers...

Boy, those last two hits were awesome!

MawMaw
10-27-2011, 08:47 PM
You're training to be a Police Officer, Dagwood?

Dagwood
10-28-2011, 05:37 AM
You're training to be a Police Officer, Dagwood?

No, I'm not...at least at this point. However, I'm sure this class would grab one's attention seeing it on a resume'. This class is solely for citizens who live or work here. It's strictly voluntary but gives skeletal insight on the daily ops of the force.

Other than the weekly class itself, we've toured the county courthouse, observed and rode along on the practice track, which was as thrilling as The Titan or Texas Giant at Six Flags.

Once the class ends in December, we'll all get the opportunity to become C.O.P.s (Citizens On Patrol), which means we'd either ride along with officers on patrol or patrol on our own. Obviously, there will be some formal training given what we could be exposed to. Or, work internally at the headquarters. But, I'll likely go for the streets.

I'm certainly looking forward to that aspect of it and whatever becomes of it down the road...

Amanah
10-28-2011, 06:18 AM
so you are going to put yourself in the line of fire, with no weapon?

Timmy
10-28-2011, 08:00 AM

He'll carry a revolver, and keep one bullet in his pocket.

:D

scotty
10-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Thats great Dagwood. Me and my wife headed up a COP program in our town. Done great for a couple of years, then when gas prices hit $4/gallon the volunteers started dwindling.

Good luck to you, its a great opportunity to witness. Especially when you expand to respond to stranded motorist. Dispatch would call our units for broke down vehicles so the police would be free for more important calls.

Dagwood
10-28-2011, 10:55 AM

That I'm not sure of. We'll be trained at some point. What all we'll be responsible for in terms of weapons remains to be seen. We'll be driving marked cars but distinctly different than the standard squad car, have two-way radios, that kind of thing.

He'll carry a revolver, and keep one bullet in his pocket.

:D

Silver sure is purtty these days! :lol

Thats great Dagwood. Me and my wife headed up a COP program in our town. Done great for a couple of years, then when gas prices hit $4/gallon the volunteers started dwindling.

Good luck to you, its a great opportunity to witness. Especially when you expand to respond to stranded motorist. Dispatch would call our units for broke down vehicles so the police would be free for more important calls.

Thank you, sir! Doing this class brings back memories from my teenage years (which seems so long ago but really isn't :) ). My folks spearheaded the neighborhood crimewatch ass'n back in the day; I went along for stake-outs (sp?) monitoring streets of interest sometimes. It was rather thrilling. And the exposure to law enforcement at a young age probably played a big part as to why I wasn't part of the camp of troubled youth, not to mention the fact that I'm rather shy and somewhat reserved as it is.

I'm excited about the experience here, not that there's much going on -- pretty quiet town of 84k people, median income of around 100K annually. Sure, we have our problems. But, nothing like larger cities nearby...

Dagwood
10-28-2011, 01:48 PM
My wife and daughters are meeting some friends at one of our favorite Tex-Mex restaurants, Casa Mama's. Mmm, such good chips and salsa, along with the best verde ("green" for all my white, non-Spanish-knowing friends) enchiladas.

Anytime we get together with them, there's usually a riot somewhere along the way...a riot of laughter and good times. :D

Hope y'all are having a great Friday and a good weekend ahead. It's beautiful, beautiful in Dallas today. And the weekend is supposed to be the same...

Dagwood
10-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Supper was wonderful with friends. The kids did their own thing and we adults carried on as usual in a loud environment...

Pulling for the Rangers now... :)

'Til the next time...

Dagwood
10-29-2011, 07:03 AM
Well, my Rangers didn't quite make it last night. Oh well. There's always next year.

In the meantime, it's 37* cold this morning with frost on the rooftops but expected to be sunny and in the mid-70s today.

What kind of trouble shall I get into today? :D

pelathais
10-29-2011, 10:37 AM
But what will you eat? Don't leave us hanging!

He's Dagwood. What do you think he eats?

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc275/pelathais/dagwood_.png

Dagwood
10-29-2011, 12:30 PM
He's Dagwood. What do you think he eats?

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc275/pelathais/dagwood_.png

Now, THAT is a classic! You got it, Pel... :)

Orthodoxy
10-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Now, THAT is a classic! You got it, Pel... :)

Back when we got the newspaper, I always enjoyed reading the Blondie cartoons. :thumbsup

Dagwood
10-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Back when we got the newspaper, I always enjoyed reading the Blondie cartoons. :thumbsup

Same here.

Another good one was Grand Avenue. One I remember specifically was the group at the lunch table getting ready to eat. One of them starts taking a bite of their sandwhich when he realizes it has mayo on it and expresses disgust as a result. Then someone blurts out, "You've got mayo!" Kinda like "You've got mail." For some reason, it had me laughing rather hard and has stuck with me ever since...

Dagwood
10-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Since Pel asked if I was making sandwhiches, here's the menu...

Foot-long Subway Club on honey oat, with pepper jack cheese, toasted, lettuce, pickles, black olives, onions, spicy mustard, mayo, oregano, vinegar, salt, and pepper...

Foot-long Subway Tuscan chicken sandwich with pepper jack cheese, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, ranch dressing, salt, and pepper...

Those are just two of my favorites from Subway. Whether I can make them as good or not is a matter of opinion... :)

Dagwood
10-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Now that we got lunch out of the way, I read something interesting this morning:

A different aspect I never heard before about avoiding the apperance of evil. All that was ever preached was in reference to socializing with the opposite gender unless married as it would portray the wrong image (among other many things).

http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/blog/2011/10/avoid-every-appearance-of-evil-2/

Orthodoxy
10-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Now that we got lunch out of the way, I read something interesting this morning:

A different aspect I never heard before about avoiding the apperance of evil. All that was ever preached was in reference to socializing with the opposite gender unless married as it would portray the wrong image (among other many things).

http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/blog/2011/10/avoid-every-appearance-of-evil-2/

Looks interesting.... will have to read it in a few minutes. I actually visit that website/blog often. Btw, it would be cool to visit the Credo House in OKC. I hope the idea spreads to other cities.

http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/who-we-are/credo-house/

Dagwood
10-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Looks interesting.... will have to read it in a few minutes. I actually visit that website/blog often. Btw, it would be cool to visit the Credo House in OKC. I hope the idea spreads to other cities.

http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/who-we-are/credo-house/

Yes, it's a very interesting and eye-opening article about false doctrine and what 1 Thess 5:22 meant...

I had no idea Credo was in OKC. We visited there back in the Spring with family from Tulsa. Had I known about it then, I'd have stopped in.

I'd love to see it come to Dallas...

Dagwood
10-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Well, let's just say we had church today! First service was phenom, continuing the Justification series. Even sang "Amazing Grace," which I can't recall the last time that was sung. Wonderful move of God...

Second service was geared more for the kids; family games/competition included who can get dressed in dress-up clothes the fastest, an oreo eating competition where you're supposed to be able to move the oreo from your forehead to your mouth without using hands. Hilarious to watch. Life Kids did their worship to Every Move I Make (I Make In You), including some moves I can't even do, my daughter making one of them. Then, about 6 or 8 beach balls got tossed around in the crowd while singing a different song. Wrapping it up, pastor's wife gave the message about David and Goliath, and centered it around "Fear not, for I am with you." It was great...

Harvest party after service was awesome with all sorts of games, cake walks, bouce houses, volleyball, pony rides, police car and fire truck tours.

Yes, we did church a little differently today. And it was a blast...

What a day it's been! Now for the more serious stuff: the work week...

Dagwood
10-30-2011, 07:11 PM
And I'll end the evening with this from a newly-discovered connection, John Piper, regarding Halloween...

http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/john-piper-on-halloween

A rather refreshing statement: "I'm willing to run the risk of attachment to worldliness in order to be Biblically faithful in witness. Same thing with Christmas, same thing with birtdays, with Easter, and worship...all these things have pagan connections. I wanna be loose, and broad, and give freedom for the believers to find their way to be most effective..."

Orthodoxy
10-31-2011, 08:19 AM
A rather refreshing statement: "I'm willing to run the risk of attachment to worldliness in order to be Biblically faithful in witness. Same thing with Christmas, same thing with birtdays, with Easter, and worship...all these things have pagan connections. I wanna be loose, and broad, and give freedom for the believers to find their way to be most effective..."

Very wise words. Growing up, we never really did trick or treating because my parents were uncomfortable with Halloween's pagan origins, and I appreciate their conviction. But I can also understand other Christians who want to somehow redeem the holiday for witness.

Dagwood
10-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Very wise words. We never really did trick or treating because my parents were uncomfortable with Halloween's pagan origins, and I appreciate their conviction. But I can also understand other Christians who want to somehow redeem the holiday for witness.

Interesting. Back when we were going to the UC church, we did trunk-or-treat which even inlcuded some pretty borderline edgy costumes (usually from those visitors). I just think, as with anything, balance is such a key element.

Dagwood
10-31-2011, 08:46 AM
I'm actually looking forward to trick-or-treating tonight with my wife and kids; we'll head over to the in-laws to retrieve the goodies there then head back to our neighborhood. I think I've seen more kids just on my street and the one behind us than anywhere else combined in the last 5 or 6 years in our other neighborhood. What a diffence 10 minutes can make, from one house to another!

Considering we're the newbies in town, it'll be a good way to meet the neighbors...

Ferd
10-31-2011, 09:30 AM
Trick or treating will be great this year!

My mom and dad are in from La. my sisters little girl is now old enough to enjoy the occasion.

the only question is, can we get my youngest to get into his costume?!?!?!?

LOL!

Dagwood
10-31-2011, 09:33 AM
Trick or treating will be great this year!

My mom and dad are in from La. my sisters little girl is now old enough to enjoy the occasion.

the only question is, can we get my youngest to get into his costume?!?!?!?

LOL!

Cool! Sounds like y'all are gonna have some fun. Hopefully, y'all have plenty of neighbors and kids to get all the goodies to be had.

One year, when we lived in Terrell (east of Dallas), the downtown area did (and still does) a huge trick-or-treating where most or all the businesses along the main drag handed out candy and other goodies. Talk about fun but the traffic was a nightmare.

What kind of costume does your youngest have?

Ferd
10-31-2011, 09:49 AM
Cool! Sounds like y'all are gonna have some fun. Hopefully, y'all have plenty of neighbors and kids to get all the goodies to be had.

One year, when we lived in Terrell (east of Dallas), the downtown area did (and still does) a huge trick-or-treating where most or all the businesses along the main drag handed out candy and other goodies. Talk about fun but the traffic was a nightmare.

What kind of costume does your youngest have?

Astronaught! (did I spell that right? LOL)

He loves space, space ships anythign NASA but when you ask him if he wants to go to space, he says NO! and says his brother needs to go! LOL

He wants to build space ships. I guess that is rocket science? sounds good to me.

Dagwood
10-31-2011, 09:56 AM
Astronaught! (did I spell that right? LOL)

He loves space, space ships anythign NASA but when you ask him if he wants to go to space, he says NO! and says his brother needs to go! LOL

He wants to build space ships. I guess that is rocket science? sounds good to me.

Wow, that's cool! Kinda funny he's interested in space but volunteers big brother to go for him. Sounds like something my youngest would say to her older sister...

Astronaut is spelled without the "g" since you asked. :)

My oldest (7 y/o) is Draculaura from the show Monster High, and my youngest (4 y/o) is a purple fairy. Both are pretty cute, if I do say so myself...

berkeley
10-31-2011, 09:59 AM
*gasp*

berkeley
10-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Y'all celebrate Samhain??? I'm hypoventrilating!!!

Dagwood
10-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Y'all celebrate Samhain??? I'm hypoventrilating!!!

I could be, more so if I was holding my dear Irish traditions to heart. That's not the case here. :)

No need to h-y-p-e-r-v-n-t-i-l-a-t-e. :laffatu

berkeley
10-31-2011, 10:12 AM
I could be, more so if I was holding my dear Irish traditions to heart. That's not the case here. :)

No need to h-y-p-e-r-v-n-t-i-l-a-t-e. :laffatu

I misspelled it on purpose. YOU didn't! :laffatu

Dagwood
10-31-2011, 10:17 AM
I misspelled it on purpose. YOU didn't! :laffatu

:foottap

You're good. You're good. :thumbsup

Ferd
10-31-2011, 10:29 AM
I like celebrating stuff.

the fact that it makes some of my fellow christians appoplectic is just a bonus.

berkeley
10-31-2011, 10:36 AM
:foottap

You're good. You're good. :thumbsup

I did it for Ferd. LOL.

Dagwood
10-31-2011, 10:49 AM
I like celebrating stuff.

the fact that it makes some of my fellow christians appoplectic is just a bonus.

I am a celebrationist myself, although I don't have much in the way of decor in my yard. All we have is little sign that says "The (insert last name here)'s Pumpkin Patch with each of our names on small pumpkins beneath that, a "Happy Fall, Y'all" door mat outside the front door, and a cornucopia with a happy scarecrow popping out of it with "Bless Our Home" on the front hanging next to the front door.

Others around are obviously more into it, with all sorts of graveyard signs, spiderwebs, etc., which I'll pass on simply because my youngest doesn't like them. My oldest, on the other hand, isnt' scared of them...until someone jumps out at her and screams. Then, the trembling with tears begins...

Dagwood
10-31-2011, 10:51 AM
I did it for Ferd. LOL.

Ferd is cool. You should meet him in person...:thumbsup

berkeley
10-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Ferd is cool. You should meet him in person...:thumbsup
Windtalker,

there are a few that I would like to meet... and many that I wouldn't care if they got hit by a bus.

Dagwood
10-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Windtalker,

there are a few that I would like to meet... and many that I wouldn't care if they got hit by a bus.

Windtalker?

:smack I'm not blowing hot air, if that's what you're insinuating...

:lol

I gotcha on that last one also. I agree to an extent. But, let their pride continue, as it shall surely catch up and allow them to fall...

Scott Hutchinson
10-31-2011, 11:06 AM
I met some that used to on here and that fellow was most unfriendly to me.

berkeley
10-31-2011, 11:06 AM
I don't want Ferd to get hit by a bus.

Dagwood
10-31-2011, 11:07 AM
I met some that used to on here and that fellow was most unfriendly to me.

So, are you saying they were one thing on here and another in person?

Dagwood
10-31-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't want Ferd to get hit by a bus.

Absolutely not. His kindness and humor would do more damage to the bus than the bus do to him...and that's the gospel truth!

Scott Hutchinson
10-31-2011, 11:08 AM
No that person was hateful and condemning here.

Dagwood
10-31-2011, 11:12 AM
No that person was hateful and condemning here.

That's a shame. I know of 2 people, in person, from the forum. I'll let them speak for themselves on their impression of me.

I'll just say this much: I've had to endure some pretty unfortunate circumstances to be where I'm at today, from personality type to interacting with other people. Building trust and offering the benefit of the doubt is a good start (even as reserved and guarded as I can be), two things I've sought for myself over the last few years...

Dagwood
11-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Another Halloween down in the books, only this year was much different, much better than years past. It was like one great big block party just on the 3 streets we walked down -- kids/parents everywhere, all sorts of costumes, and even a kid-friendly haunted house at one corner house. It was made up of nothing but big, inflatable displays with creepy music playing. Neither of my daughters wanted to stop by that one, though...

Overall, this year's trick or treating experience was much like one would imagine in a movie or kids book. Next year, my wife and I talked about getting my BIL to come up and scare kids for the fun of it. It would be interesting since 8 of the 10 streets are cul-de-sacs and the lamp posts are spaced so far apart (either on the corner or in the circle), there's plenty of dark stretches to scare kids...

Now for All Saints day, whatever that is... :)

AncientPaths
11-01-2011, 07:34 AM
Sure is nice to live in a kid-friendly neighborhood. I was appreciating that myself last night. Kids out everywhere, lots of people doing fun decorations. Maybe it's the area we both live in ;)

Dagwood
11-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Sure is nice to live in a kid-friendly neighborhood. I was appreciating that myself last night. Kids out everywhere, lots of people doing fun decorations. Maybe it's the area we both live in ;)

Agreed! And, I would concur with that. :D

I'm not kidding, it was a totally different atmosphere this time around compared to last year in our other neighborhood. We stopped by the in-laws first. No kids around, even after it was dark enough. Then, we stopped by a friends house in Parker (where the big houses are). Kids everywhere. Then, it seemed to continue and get better once we got home...

We took plenty of pictures. You'll probably see some if the misses uploads them to Facebook...

Ferd
11-01-2011, 08:15 AM
This year in our area it was a little more quiet and a little more neighborly... LOL.

I should be nice. last year our neighborhood was evidently the dedicated location for other cities to send their kids to. This year there was still some of that but not nearly as much as last year.

Dagwood
11-01-2011, 08:22 AM
This year in our area it was a little more quiet and a little more neighborly... LOL.

I should be nice. last year our neighborhood was evidently the dedicated location for other cities to send their kids to. This year there was still some of that but not nearly as much as last year.

Too funny!

It was well after 8/8:30 kids were still out and about here. Of course, since we were strolling the streets ourselves, we didn't hand out any candy once we got back. But, nevertheless, that didn't mean there wasn't enough candy from others to go around. There was plenty with all the other houses doing it.

It was cool, too, since my wife finally met our neighbors next door. A few months back, they walked over to me while in the front yard and introduced themselves. Wife wasn't at home at the time. A very, very nice family with kids in their 20s and grandkids. Got to chatting and they said they'd have us over for burgers one night. Now, that's my kind of neighbors. I love to grill myself, so it's nice to have neighbors who like to do the same. They also mentioned that they spear-headed a block party a few years ago and how all the neighbors got out and just had a good time hanging out in each other's yards...

AncientPaths
11-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Too funny!

It was well after 8/8:30 kids were still out and about here. Of course, since we were strolling the streets ourselves, we didn't hand out any candy once we got back. But, nevertheless, that didn't mean there wasn't enough candy from others to go around. There was plenty with all the other houses doing it.

It was cool, too, since my wife finally met our neighbors next door. A few months back, they walked over to me while in the front yard and introduced themselves. Wife wasn't at home at the time. A very, very nice family with kids in their 20s and grandkids. Got to chatting and they said they'd have us over for burgers one night. Now, that's my kind of neighbors. I love to grill myself, so it's nice to have neighbors who like to do the same. They also mentioned that they spear-headed a block party a few years ago and how all the neighbors got out and just had a good time hanging out in each other's yards...

I will say that we got a doorbell ring after 9 when we were trying to get the kids to bed. That wasn't cool. I had to go down and take away some of their existing candy to teach them a lesson ;)

That happened last year, and it seemed like it was some visitors driving around and letting their kids out of the car.

Dagwood
11-01-2011, 09:06 AM
I will say that we got a doorbell ring after 9 when we were trying to get the kids to bed. That wasn't cool. I had to go down and take away some of their existing candy to teach them a lesson ;)

That happened last year, and it seemed like it was some visitors driving around and letting their kids out of the car.

Not good, not good.

I saw a few kids walk up to our house when we were across the street from it. Didn't have our porch light on, for obvious reasons, but I guess since they thought our landscape lights were on it meant "CANDY!" They realized no one was home, yet it was kinda funny to watch from a distance...

Ferd
11-01-2011, 10:29 AM
The thing I really hate is the parent riding in the car blocking traffic while their kid goes house to house. makes me nuts. this was a HUGE player last year. not so much this year.....

We did have a couple from the neighborhood riding around on their Harley. He was dressed as Mr. Incredible. It was cool. all in all it was a great night!

berkeley
11-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Oohh, for a sec there, I thought this was the pagan christianity thread!

berkeley
11-01-2011, 10:58 AM
JK JK! Halloween was fun when I was a kid, much better than that xmas stuff! Glad ya'll had a great night with your families.

berkeley
11-02-2011, 07:28 AM
PLEASE don't let me kill your thread! O.o

Dagwood
11-02-2011, 08:14 AM
PLEASE don't let me kill your thread! O.o

LOL! Never...

I was just thinking I needed to update it. All I've been doing is scrolling through other threads and responding as necessary...

Dagwood
11-02-2011, 08:18 AM
I just enjoyed a nice, warm cup of coffee with whole milk as the creamer and vanilla extract as the flavor. Pretty good considering I ran out of actual creamer...

Amanah
11-02-2011, 08:20 AM
I just enjoyed a nice, warm cup of coffee with whole milk as the creamer and vanilla extract as the flavor. Pretty good considering I ran out of actual creamer...

I use almond milk in my coffee, it's tasty and healthy.

berkeley
11-02-2011, 08:25 AM
I am disappointed that my creamer is non-dairy! Two words that should nevah go together. Yeah, great stuff, made from non-milk taken from the non-cows that live at the non-dairy.

Dagwood
11-02-2011, 08:28 AM
I use almond milk in my coffee, it's tasty and healthy.

Hmm, that sounds interesting but good! I might have give it a try sometime...

I am disappointed that my creamer is non-dairy! Two words that should nevah go together. Yeah, great stuff, made from non-milk taken from the non-cows that live at the non-dairy.

Okay, I just about lost that bite of cereal from laughing so hard. I don't care for the powdered creamer, if that's what you use. Clumps up too easily...

Orthodoxy
11-02-2011, 05:53 PM
How about a chai tea latte? That's one of my favorites. :coffee2

Cindy
11-02-2011, 06:33 PM
I like Halloween and coffee.

Dagwood
11-03-2011, 05:35 AM
How about a chai tea latte? That's one of my favorites. :coffee2

That sounds good. From Starbucks? I might explore that one, although merely saying the name makes me think I have dyslexia -- I keep wanting to call it a Tai Chi latte... :lol

I like Halloween and coffee.

I do too. Pumpkin Spice creamer now through Thanksgiving. Then, Peppermint Mocha for Christmas...

berkeley
11-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Mac Donald's peppermint mocha is nasty!!!

Dagwood
11-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Mac Donald's peppermint mocha is nasty!!!

Well, I just might have to try theirs. I don't occupy Starbucks much, except for when it's for a double choc-chip frap (my fav) or around T'giving/Christmas.

Another fav of mine is warm applie cider with cinnamon candies. I do love this time of year as if one cannot tell it...

berkeley
11-03-2011, 09:52 AM
I do like some aspects of the season. If the people who say that they love me pitch in and buy me a paper shredder I just may celebrate Christmas again.

Cindy
11-03-2011, 11:07 AM
I do like some aspects of the season. If the people who say that they love me pitch in and buy me a paper shredder I just may celebrate Christmas again.

hahaha

berkeley
11-03-2011, 11:31 AM
hahaha

I am totally serious.

Dagwood
11-03-2011, 11:34 AM

What's the connection between a paper shredder and your possession of one revitalizing your celebration of Christmas?

berkeley
11-03-2011, 11:42 AM
What's the connection between a paper shredder and your possession of one revitalizing your celebration of Christmas?

Look, I'm not going to lie to you...

Cindy
11-03-2011, 11:54 AM

Evidence, evidence. :D

Dagwood
11-03-2011, 12:12 PM
...before heading out the door for the citizens police academy...

It's that time again this evening. I missed last night's field trip to the ME's office. Sorta glad I did as we were forewarned about the non-sterile environment (germs, bugs, etc)...

berkeley
11-03-2011, 12:37 PM
OCD!

The day is going by really fast. Prob cos I am boss for the day.

Orthodoxy
11-04-2011, 11:13 AM
I guess one reason I have never liked Halloween is because I don't eat very much candy.

And I hate chocolate, although some in my family are chocaholics.

:thebunny

Dagwood
11-04-2011, 11:39 AM
I guess one reason I have never liked Halloween is because I don't eat very much candy.

And I hate chocolate, although some in my family are chocaholics.

:thebunny

:lol I love the emoticon, Ortho! Hilarious...

I used to eat candy quite a bit as a kid; my two favorites were (and still are) skittles and smarties. I'll eat some on rare occasion here and there.

The only form of chocolate I'm big on, as I've said regarding Starbucks, is the double choc-chip frap. I also like chocolate milk, which actually sounds good right now... :)

berkeley
11-04-2011, 11:51 AM
My best friend will turn 26 at the end of this month. He drinks chocolate milk. I don't think it would bother me as much if he had a gallon or a half gallon in his refrigerator. He buys the pre-made stuff in the Nestle Quik (sp) bottles. Between that and the Capri Sun... I'm like, "Dude, grow up already."

Dagwood
11-04-2011, 11:58 AM
My best friend will turn 26 at the end of this month. He drinks chocolate milk. I don't think it would bother me as much if he had a gallon or a half gallon in his refrigerator. He buys the pre-made stuff in the Nestle Quik (sp) bottles. Between that and the Capri Sun... I'm like, "Dude, grow up already."

LOL!

My chocolate milk consists of stirring whole milk and chocolate syrup. The powdery stuff I used as a kid...

Ferd
11-04-2011, 12:01 PM
I never could drink store bought chocolate milk. That stuff is way too thick. I cant stand it!

Im with Dagwood, if I drink chocolate milk, i use my milk and the powder i grew up with.

Onestly I prefer Nestle Pink Milk!

berkeley
11-04-2011, 12:01 PM
LOL!

My chocolate milk consists of stirring whole milk and chocolate syrup. The powdery stuff I used as a kid...

HERSHEY'S? I could nevah get it to mix just right.

Dagwood
11-04-2011, 12:07 PM
HERSHEY'S? I could nevah get it to mix just right.

That's when pouring more than you intended makes it all the better...

I'm tellin' you, this choclolate milk sure de-lish!

berkeley
11-04-2011, 12:16 PM
I never could drink store bought chocolate milk. That stuff is way too thick. I cant stand it!

Im with Dagwood, if I drink chocolate milk, i use my milk and the powder i grew up with.

Onestly I prefer Nestle Pink Milk!

Onestly, that stuff does NOT taste like strawbury! :laffatu

Ferd
11-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Onestly, that stuff does NOT taste like strawbury! :laffatu

I know! it tastes like ultraprocessed sugar non-food!

but I sure do love it! LOL!

berkeley
11-04-2011, 06:01 PM
LOL

Dagwood
11-06-2011, 10:28 AM
A rather busy weekend with niece/nephew in town, kids spent the night with their cousins, and one ends up with pink eye. Not fun. Plus, with the weather changes, sinuses and allergies have brought about for me a much deeper, hoarse voice.

Busy work week expected ahead in preparations for a major application of ours to go down the following week, one that will change a major function of mine from automated to manual. The good thing: it will only last a few days...

Dagwood
11-07-2011, 07:03 AM
My thought for the moment (after reading through certain threads and some responses):

I respect those who feel lead to see things according to their own ways. However, as Luke 14:11 says: For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted." I think it's a shame so much spiritual arrogance is taking place within some circles of Christianity.

I posted a thread titled "I/Me/My Syndrome" a while back regarding a particular song that specifically applies to those who are proud to be Pentecostal, and it ruffled some people's feathers. Not to rekindle harsh feelings either way, but my belief still stands: pride comes before a fall, whether individually or collectively.

Not only do we need to repent of sin, repenting of pride (among other things) should almost be done equally as important as repenting of sin...

Orthodoxy
11-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Dude, you have over 700 views and 10 pages of comments on your own personal thread! :highfive

Dagwood
11-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Dude, you have over 700 views and 10 pages of comments on your own personal thread! :highfive

Tell me about! I certainly didn't expect that when creating it. However, I have been pleased with its visibility so far...

I must note, though, my activitiy on here doesn't represent the same in social media. Although I'll access them often and review, I don't post on FB or tweet near as much as my responses on here.

:thumbsup

berkeley
11-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Yeah. His loyalty is as follows:

AFf

twitter

huffington post

slate

gnc

upci dot com and dot org

jesusmessiah dot com

aog

facebook

Dagwood
11-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Yeah. His loyalty is as follows:

:) AFf

:) twitter

:( huffington post

:( slate

:) gnc

:( upci dot com and dot org

:( jesusmessiah dot com

:( aog

:) facebook

:) = somewhat to fairly often
:( = rarely or never

Ferd
11-07-2011, 12:43 PM
alright I have a question.

Im getting one of these stupid colds that are going around so I go to walmart to get something.

after looking around I settle on just going with an allergy med. Claritin has worked in the past and as this is all about my nose and itchy eyes i figure that will do the trick.

problem. Its $25 for 30 pills!
Then I see Equate same active ingredient same dosage. LESS THAT $4!!!!!!!

Why are people buying Claritin??????

Ferd
11-07-2011, 12:43 PM
oh and this is my favorite thread!

Dagwood
11-07-2011, 12:52 PM
alright I have a question.

Im getting one of these stupid colds that are going around so I go to walmart to get something.

after looking around I settle on just going with an allergy med. Claritin has worked in the past and as this is all about my nose and itchy eyes i figure that will do the trick.

problem. Its $25 for 30 pills!
Then I see Equate same active ingredient same dosage. LESS THAT $4!!!!!!!

Why are people buying Claritin??????

It's an unfortunate reality that some meds are so ridiculously overpriced, yet a generic is alarmingly much cheaper! I always opt for the generics, if available...

oh and this is my favorite thread!

You're very kind, sir, very kind! Thank you. Feel free to drop by anytime... :thumbsup

Scott Hutchinson
11-07-2011, 02:01 PM
The equate does not works as good as the major brand.

Scott Hutchinson
11-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Dagwood Brother I wish you God's best at whatever you pursue.

Dagwood
11-07-2011, 02:25 PM

Just curious if you've compared the ingredients and dosage/percentage of each. I've tried both name brand and generic. Generic works just as well for me, but your body might react differently and require the name brand.

Dagwood Brother I wish you God's best at whatever you pursue.

Thank you, sir... :)

Scott Hutchinson
11-07-2011, 02:40 PM
No I haven't compared the dosage and ingredients,but I recently bought equate but it didn't work too good for me.Allegra works good for me,but it's high as a cat's back.

Scott Hutchinson
11-07-2011, 02:41 PM
http://www.allegra.com/

Dagwood
11-07-2011, 02:46 PM
No I haven't compared the dosage and ingredients,but I recently bought equate but it didn't work too good for me.Allegra works good for me,but it's high as a cat's back.

I've never tried Allegra. However, two different drugs I have tried is Coricidin and Sudafed Severe Cold. Coricidin worked well for the times I used it. But, when I switched to the Sudafed, that was like Coricidin x10 much better.

I take the generics for headaches and sore throats. But, when the allergies and sinuses really start acting up (like they have here lately), that's when I go hi-tech and get the name brand. Of course, flooding my body with water, water, water also helps tremendously by clearing me up...

Scott Hutchinson
11-07-2011, 02:49 PM
The Equate aspirin works pretty good,and I've found The Walgreen store brand works good in most products.

Ferd
11-07-2011, 03:19 PM
I dont know how the name brand of a drug can matter.

Claritin OTC contains Loratadine, USP 10mg.
Equate Allergy Relief contains Loratiadine, USP 10mg.

who does one work better?

berkeley
11-07-2011, 03:31 PM
You don't go to Mac Donald's when you want filet mignon.

Dagwood
11-07-2011, 04:57 PM
You don't go to Mac Donald's when you want filet mignon.

Hmm, last time I checked McD's doesn't offer filet mignon, at least the ones up here don't. Maybe I missed the memo... :lol

berkeley
11-07-2011, 08:06 PM
BTW, I'll brb. FB is deactivated in case you notice that I am M.I.A. Keep this thread going, doc.

Dagwood
11-08-2011, 06:22 AM
BTW, I'll brb. FB is deactivated in case you notice that I am M.I.A. Keep this thread going, doc.

Uh oh, hope everything's okay...

No worries. Consider this the energizer bunny thread... "they keep going, and going, and going, and..."

:)

Dagwood
11-08-2011, 12:22 PM
I just realized Lacey has a Normal Rockwell Thanksgiving pic as her profile pic. Absolutely love his artwork...

Sure wish the museum wasn't so far away or else I'd be visiting often.

Being that I am modernly vintage, as I put it, anything along NR's lines of artwork are nothing short of classics...

Thanks, Lacey! :)

MawMaw
11-08-2011, 12:24 PM

It's all in your mind Scott! LOL

Personally, I've found the generics work just AS well or better! :thumbsup

MawMaw
11-08-2011, 12:27 PM
I just realized Lacey has a Normal Rockwell Thanksgiving pic as her profile pic. Absolutely love his artwork...

Sure wish the museum wasn't so far away or else I'd be visiting often.

Being that I am modernly vintage, as I put it, anything along NR's lines of artwork are nothing short of classics...

Thanks, Lacey! :)

I love NormaN Rockwell paintings too!! :thumbsup
And, you're welcome! :)

Dagwood
11-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Spaghetti? I'd say I'm stuffed full of it. So good...

And it's much, much cooler outside than earlier before the storms...

Dagwood
11-08-2011, 09:08 PM
On occasion, while flipping through the channels, I'll come across those infamous Time Life commercials advertising a CD collection for a certain genre of music. Tonight, I came across "Country's Got Heart," 20 years worth of country songs from the 70s to 90s.

As I was watching, my mind went back to events that took place when hearing some of the songs. Some good, some not so much so. A thought crossed my mind, and one who is musically-minded would understand:

There's just something about music, something about a song. It forms a language all its own when "there are no words" to describe feelings.

Whether it's country, gospel, pop, whatever. Even if I don't care for a certain style, music and songs can oftern speak for feelings and emotions that otherwise can't be put into words or casual conversation...

I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free...

I think I'll sing myself to sleep. I need to get to bed...

Goodnight for now! :)

Scott Hutchinson
11-08-2011, 09:44 PM
It's all in your mind Scott! LOL

Personally, I've found the generics work just AS well or better! :thumbsup

You are probably right Sister.

MawMaw
11-09-2011, 04:14 AM
Spaghetti? I'd say I'm stuffed full of it. So good...

And it's much, much cooler outside than earlier before the storms...

Spaghetti is one of my top 10 favorite foods! :thumbsup
Have you ever tried making your sauce with sausage instead
of ground beef? Either way to me is wonderful!

Dagwood
11-09-2011, 05:06 AM
Spaghetti is one of my top 10 favorite foods! :thumbsup
Have you ever tried making your sauce with sausage instead
of ground beef? Either way to me is wonderful!

No, I have not. But, it sure sounds good! I like my spaghetti with a little more sauce than average, so I'm sure the sausage-sauce would be wonderful as well...

Timmy
11-09-2011, 07:41 AM
On occasion, while flipping through the channels, I'll come across those infamous Time Life commercials advertising a CD collection for a certain genre of music. Tonight, I came across "Country's Got Heart," 20 years worth of country songs from the 70s to 90s.

As I was watching, my mind went back to events that took place when hearing some of the songs. Some good, some not so much so. A thought crossed my mind, and one who is musically-minded would understand:

There's just something about music, something about a song. It forms a language all its own when "there are no words" to describe feelings.

Whether it's country, gospel, pop, whatever. Even if I don't care for a certain style, music and songs can oftern speak for feelings and emotions that otherwise can't be put into words or casual conversation...

I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free...

I think I'll sing myself to sleep. I need to get to bed...

Goodnight for now! :)

I've got GnR's "Paradise City" playing now. ;)

berkeley
11-09-2011, 07:45 AM
was gna drop aff like a bad habit... but dropping fb is sufficient. i am hypersensitive. over exposure to peoples every thought, whinning, neg. emotions, etc is really bad for me. my thoughts are like a radio set to scan.

berkeley
11-09-2011, 07:48 AM

where the grass is green and the girls are pretty:foottap

berkeley
11-09-2011, 07:49 AM
hey, that emoticon was an accident! no complaints here.

Timmy
11-09-2011, 07:51 AM
was gna drop aff like a bad habit... but dropping fb is sufficient. i am hypersensitive. over exposure to peoples every thought, whinning, neg. emotions, etc is really bad for me. my thoughts are like a radio set to scan.

Stop whining. :lol

Timmy
11-09-2011, 07:51 AM
where the grass is green and the girls are pretty:foottap

berkeley
11-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Stop whining. :lol

:smack

Timmy
11-09-2011, 07:55 AM

Cindyyyyyyy, Berk is hitting meeee!

Dagwood
11-09-2011, 07:56 AM

If that's the group/song I'm thinking of, that brings back memories for me as a child in 2nd grade. I heard it all the time back then, along with Paula Abdul's "Two Steps Forward" and "Straight Up" not long after those. Let's see, oh yeah, and Tone Loc's "Wild Thang" (a little more edgy).

I laugh all the time, almost to the point of embarassment, when I see music videos from the 80s...

Scott Hutchinson
11-09-2011, 07:57 AM
There is a country version of that song.

berkeley
11-09-2011, 07:57 AM
How old are you?

berkeley
11-09-2011, 07:58 AM
How old are you?

woody

Timmy
11-09-2011, 08:00 AM
How old are you?

Timmy
11-09-2011, 08:00 AM
woody

Oh. Him. Ignore my last post then. ;)

Ferd
11-09-2011, 08:01 AM
How old are you?

Timmay is so old that when he joined the Navy, they gave him a sea bag and told him to go stand out on the peer until the ocean filled up.

Dagwood
11-09-2011, 08:03 AM

Now look! I'm gonna give you the same lecture I gave my wife when she closed her FB (now twice) in the same fashion...

There are options to formatting your profile so you only see those posts you want to see and hide others you don't want to see. If I was one of them you didn't want to see, at least just tell me...

Although it's your choice, do consider just who you want to see and don't want to see. Then, regroup from your thoughts and open it back up. Is it worth shutting everyone out over those few here and there you don't want to see? Just a thought, sir, just a thought...

If you drop AFF, well, you wouldn't be the first. But, I at least hope you stay around here. No need in sliding back into isolation. Isn't that where some of us came from on here at different points in our spiritual walk?

I hope you've read my response without taking offense, sir... :) I mean no harm...

Scott Hutchinson
11-09-2011, 08:04 AM
You have offended me big time.

berkeley
11-09-2011, 08:06 AM
I am going to reactivate it just to block you!

Dagwood
11-09-2011, 08:07 AM
How old are you?

woody

I'm within an arm's reach of your age...

Scott Hutchinson
I was just kidding,but FB can be fun.

Dagwood
I am going to reactivate it just to block you!

Such a pot-stirrer... :)

berkeley
11-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Timmy is old, wow. Maybe it's time we call him Tim or Timothy.

Scott Hutchinson
11-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Just don't call him Timothy Leary.

Dagwood
11-09-2011, 08:19 AM
I was just kidding,but FB can be fun.

It can be fun but also be very wearing, tearing, and draining in more ways than one...which is why I've all but dropped it myself.

Timmy
11-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Timmy is old, wow. Maybe it's time we call him Tim or Timothy.

Or "sir". :heeheehee

Amanah
11-09-2011, 08:36 AM
It can be fun but also be very wearing, tearing, and draining in more ways than one...which is why I've all but dropped it myself.

can't it just be something you look at when you are bored or want to communicate with someone? I'm not sure I understand how it can be such a burden . . .

Dagwood
11-09-2011, 08:41 AM
can't it just be something you look at when you are bored or want to communicate with someone? I'm not sure I understand how it can be such a burden . . .

Sure, it can. I don't imagine you have anyone that's constantly updating their statuses or anyone who complains about more than that which is necessary...

I just don't look at it as often as others I know. If someone responds to a post of mine, my phone notifies me and I look at it at that time. Other than that, I don't get bored enough to just "hang out" on FB. AFF is a good alternative... :thumbsup

Amanah
11-09-2011, 08:43 AM
AFF is my favorite place too, I like it much better then FB

berkeley
11-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Tell ya what, woody. I'll open a new fb acct next year after the court grants a full name change.

berkeley
11-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Or "sir". :heeheehee

People call me sir. Also boss and chief.

Dagwood
11-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Tell ya what, woody. I'll open a new fb acct next year after the court grants a full name change.

Are you being serious about that last part? If so, I'll just wait patiently. No need in making a situation worse or more vulnerable than it might already be.

We'll carry on here in the meantime... :thumbsup

berkeley
11-09-2011, 08:56 AM
I just can't settle on a middle name. This may take a while.

Ferd
11-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Facebook is the place I go to thank people for wishing me a happy birthday.

beyond that, it is a messed up place where I have a thousand friends I do not know, have never know, and will never meet but I did once upon a time (review my signature line) play Mafia Wars with while on disability after my second back surgery.

sigh. it would be nice if I could figure out how to dump those people and keep my 300 odd actual real "friends" that I know...

sigh sigh.

Amanah
11-09-2011, 11:52 AM

beyond that, it is a messed up place where I have a thousand friends I do not know, have never know, and will never meet but I did once upon a time (review my signature line) play Mafia Wars with while on disability after my second back surgery.

sigh. it would be nice if I could figure out how to dump those people and keep my 300 odd actual real "friends" that I know...

sigh sigh.

I guess you can't just unfriend people you don't know?

Scott Hutchinson
11-09-2011, 11:53 AM
You can unfriend folks off of your friends list.

Amanah
11-09-2011, 11:53 AM

witness protection?

Dagwood
11-09-2011, 12:08 PM

sigh sigh.

:lol You are definitely a trip!

I used to do the whole birthday wishes on FB all the time; now, I might do it on occasion.

I, too, am connected with people I've never met. However, there stands a good chance I might since some of them are in the music industry. So, I think I'll keep those handy for future meet and greets.

Others? Well, I went to school with 2,500 other students in HS. I'm only connected with a very few. I could probably count on one hand those I'm still in contact with.

Family-wise, I have family from TX, to FL, to IN, to CO, and places in between. Whether I've seen them once or several times, I'm still connected with them.

Then, of course, there's the good 'ole church crowd! A rather robust crowd, mind you. Here, there, and everywhere...

berkeley
11-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Reading about fb gave me an anxiety attack. I'm leaving aff for a few days.

Amanah
11-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Reading about fb gave me an anxiety attack. I'm leaving aff for a few days.

not you too?

berkeley
11-09-2011, 12:34 PM
witness protection?

Like they'd allow me to choose my own name.
'sides, my life is not that exciting.

Ferd
11-09-2011, 01:07 PM
I guess you can't just unfriend people you don't know?

how long does it take to unfriend a thousand people???

Amanah
11-09-2011, 01:12 PM

be happy you are so loved Ferd!

Dagwood
11-09-2011, 01:23 PM

Click on your friend list and start clicking away. Bet you won't unfriend me... :heeheehee

be happy you are so loved Ferd!

Timmy
11-09-2011, 02:01 PM

How about Beauregard?

MawMaw
11-09-2011, 02:27 PM
I never understood people can have over 1000 friends on facebook?
Do they just accept friends of friends of friends? LOL
Then again, maybe some folks are just well known?

MawMaw
11-09-2011, 02:29 PM
How about Beauregard?

or Rhett.......I've always loved the name Rhett! :icecream

Ferd
11-09-2011, 02:58 PM

well in my case (this was a pain pill induced act of stupidity) I needed friends for Mafia Wars to advance so I got on lists to get added as mafia friends.

by the time i stopped taking the meds for the pain, I had well over a thousand friends from all over the world.

I would like to have a muligun on that decision for sure.

Dagwood
11-09-2011, 03:03 PM

Well, I've often wondered the same thing. Unless one can exercise moderation in their frequency of visits, I can see how the more friends one has, the more time they're likely to spend checking out the scene. But, then that would depend on their friends' frequency as well. So, in essence, it can be a vicious circle...

Popularity plays a huge roll, especially for pastors and musicians. College kids, for the most part, can be rather popular too...

I'm not a pastor, musician, or college kid. Get the picture? :)

MawMaw
11-09-2011, 03:11 PM
well in my case (this was a pain pill induced act of stupidity) I needed friends for Mafia Wars to advance so I got on lists to get added as mafia friends.

by the time i stopped taking the meds for the pain, I had well over a thousand friends from all over the world.

I would like to have a muligun on that decision for sure.

Good heavens!
I pray you stay pain free and have
no more inducements like that! LOL

berkeley
11-09-2011, 03:15 PM
How about Beauregard?

um, naw.

MawMaw
11-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Well, I've often wondered the same thing. Unless one can exercise moderation in their frequency of visits, I can see how the more friends one has, the more time they're likely to spend checking out the scene. But, then that would depend on their friends' frequency as well. So, in essence, it can be a vicious circle...

Popularity plays a huge roll, especially for pastors and musicians. College kids, for the most part, can be rather popular too...

I'm not a pastor, musician, or college kid. Get the picture? :)

Facebook sort of reminds me of school days when everyone wanted to be most popular on campus! It's like.....look how many friends I have....I'm more popular than you goody goody! :heeheehee

Dagwood
11-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Facebook sort of reminds me of school days when everyone wanted to be most popular on campus! It's like.....look how many friends I have....I'm more popular than you goody goody! :heeheehee

True in some cases. However, if one has Facebook figured out well-enough, friends lists can be set where only the owner or select people can view it. Not that I don't trust the people I'm connected with, but I tend to err on the side of caution to prevent pointless activity from taking place...

Ferd
11-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Good heavens!
I pray you stay pain free and have
no more inducements like that! LOL

well, pain free would be a wonderful thing that i wouldnt even know what to do with... but I am drug free which is great!

Ferd
11-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Since this thread is about Dagwood, he was in the 5th grade when I was in Desert Storm.

ugh. dude has kids. Im old.

MawMaw
11-09-2011, 03:38 PM
well, pain free would be a wonderful thing that i wouldnt even know what to do with... but I am drug free which is great!

I'll still pray for you! And awesome to hear
you are drug free! :thumbsup

MawMaw
11-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Since this thread is about Dagwood, he was in the 5th grade when I was in Desert Storm.

Veteran's Day being Friday,
I'd like to say
THANK YOU Sir for your service
to our country! :)

Dagwood
11-09-2011, 03:48 PM

And I remember it like it was yesterday... :thumbsup

Scott Hutchinson
11-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Boy am I old.

Dagwood
11-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Boy am I old.

But you're still alive and kickin', right? Better than being dead from being kicked... :lol

Ferd
Boy am I old.

People may no know this but when Scott was little he had play dates with Methuselah.

Scott Hutchinson
People may no know this but when Scott was little he had play dates with Methuselah.

Don't tell everything you know.

Dagwood
11-09-2011, 03:53 PM

Wow...

:spit

Oh, wait...

:bolt

Ferd
11-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Cindy is so old, when she got married Mt. Everest was a lake.

berkeley
11-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Dang. Ford is old. I was in 3rd grade during ODS. Really waited to have children, no?

If I am evah intoxicated enough to take the plunge into marriage... 35-42 would be a good age range to have children, and nevah a day soonah.

houston
11-10-2011, 11:17 AM
boredom

Dagwood
11-10-2011, 11:36 AM
boredom

Tell me about it. I've been scoping out other threads this morning and haven't updated this one yet...

houston
11-10-2011, 11:58 AM
FYI, gna disappear in 2 or 3 days. Don't want the cost of internet... I only access this site. I'll drop by whenevah I'm visiting my adopted family.

Dagwood
11-10-2011, 12:12 PM
FYI, gna disappear in 2 or 3 days. Don't want the cost of internet... I only access this site. I'll drop by whenevah I'm visiting my adopted family.

First, it's FB. Now, it's the forum? C'mon...

Just don't be a stranger... :)

houston
11-10-2011, 12:35 PM
I should pay for net to access one site?

Dagwood
11-10-2011, 12:46 PM

It is unlimited access to this site, correct? Nevertheless, if this is, indeed, the only site you visit, then I can see how it could get pretty heavy on the pocketbook. I'm sure you have other obligations/assets to pay for and manage.

It sounds like you're lining up your priorities, which is commendable...:thumbsup

Timmy
11-10-2011, 01:34 PM

Here, try this one, and see if it doesn't tip the balance:

http://www.virtualstapler.com/

Ferd
11-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Renda is so old her sixteenth birday was In The Beginning.

houston
11-10-2011, 07:07 PM

You're only 10 yrs younger than her. :foottap

Dagwood
11-10-2011, 07:09 PM

Hmm, Renda. Not quite sure who Renda might be, but based on your statistics, she sounds rather....errr, ummmm, well...seasoned! That's it, seasoned...:lol

houston
11-10-2011, 07:28 PM
It's cold in here. How you enjoyin the xmas cd?

Dagwood
11-10-2011, 07:34 PM
It's cold in here. How you enjoyin the xmas cd?

Getcha some coffee or hot chocolate!

As for Mr. Buble', well, he's been singing loudly in my house the last few days, especially this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBBwy5dmLNc

I have a tendency to get carried away with my music-listening habits, just for the record! :thumbsup

houston
11-10-2011, 07:41 PM
I don't see a vid, just a faux hyperlink. Hate this phone.

houston
11-10-2011, 07:46 PM
I think I want to celebrate that holiday, but don't really have anyone to celebrate with. And bad news, my aunt and her husband will be here for ...xmas. That jack threw me to the sticks in Nowhere, TN. a few yrs ago. I may be ok, but if he speaks one word to me I will need you to post bail.

Cindy
11-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Cindyyyyyyy, Berk is hitting meeee!

So, you want me to smack him?

Cindy
11-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Cindy is so old, when she got married Mt. Everest was a lake.

Shup :smack

Timmy
11-10-2011, 09:31 PM
So, you want me to smack him?

Yeah! :)

houston
11-10-2011, 09:34 PM

:foottap I stand like that a lot, but head up and kinda tilted to the right, and right foot slightly forward.

houston
11-10-2011, 09:36 PM
:foottap I stand like that a lot, but head up and kinda tilted to the right, and right foot slightly forward.

and my red cape blowing in the wind

Scott Hutchinson
11-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Just get a switch to him Texas Granny.

Dagwood
11-10-2011, 09:50 PM
If anyone knows of a sinus transplant doctor, please let me know. My allergies have been messin' with my head for too long now, and I'm "sick" and "tired" of it...

Okay, I'm not being serious... :thumbsup

But, it is getting rather old and ridiculous...

Goodnight... :)

Ferd
11-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Crackjack is so old he was holding the sticks when fire was invented.

Ferd
11-10-2011, 10:10 PM
If anyone knows of a sinus transplant doctor, please let me know. My allergies have been messin' with my head for too long now, and I'm "sick" and "tired" of it...

Okay, I'm not being serious... :thumbsup

But, it is getting rather old and ridiculous...

Goodnight... :)

Dude is it allergies or just a cold. my hole clan has this mess.

ugh

Jay
11-11-2011, 12:49 AM
I suddenly feel young again.

Dagwood
11-11-2011, 04:58 AM
Crackjack is so old he was holding the sticks when fire was invented.

And there's even a candy named him, hence "Cracker Jacks." Well, okay it's close enough... :thumbsup Been around since the first Chicago World Fair in 1893...:lol

Dude is it allergies or just a cold. my hole clan has this mess.

ugh

It may have transpired into a cold. I've dealt with it now for about a week. Last week, my voice went hoarse. I haven't been consistent in taking any meds for it, although I have taken some. I may end up buying Sudafed Severe Cold anyway. That usually clears me up rather quickly...

I suddenly feel young again.

It's a great feeling, right? I'd like to think I'm still young.

I heard a phrase a long time ago: "Getting old is when having fun is too much hard work." My definition of fun might be far different than others, but fun can be had nevertheless, even with simple, cost-efficient (or free) things.

houston
11-11-2011, 06:34 AM
hello!

Cindy
11-11-2011, 08:01 AM

Okayyyyyyy, let me find my club. :club (Berk) :smack

There you go, happy to be of service.

houston
11-11-2011, 08:04 AM
*kicks sand in cindy's eyes*

houston
11-11-2011, 08:04 AM
into

Cindy
11-11-2011, 08:05 AM
*kicks sand in cindy's eyes*

:heeheehee

houston
11-11-2011, 08:14 AM
:heeheehee

SHORYUKEN

:happydance

Timmy
11-11-2011, 08:58 AM
:lol

Dagwood
11-13-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm thinking I'll be downloading the podcasts for this whole Justification series at church. It's opening up my eyes more and more. It's blowing my mind...

The timing for this series couldn't come at a better time; it's the end of the year, a time to reflect over the past year and realize how His grace is so real and much more powerful than I could ever even imagine.

Truly, His grace is amazing...

Dagwood
11-15-2011, 09:54 AM
I think I've safely concluded there are some people who love to stir up trouble or keep it stirring while it's occurring...

I saw an unspecified picture show up in my Facebook newsfeed where someone, a friend who we used to go to church together with, commented on it. I was rather surprised given what the picture was. I thought something had happened, in a good way, so I read through the comments. All but the most recent comment were made a few years ago. The most recent one was made today. Although I won't state word for word what was said, I'll just say this: it was obvious, to me, what the person commenting was doing. Bringing up past events and memories by one comment talking about how much has changed. Nothing was directed at me. But because I know about the situation and the decision I made as a result, the comment was rather obvious, and there was no need in making it since many of our mutual friends are still pretty much conneted to the same people...

What I'm trying to say is this: use common sense when commenting on things in social media, especially Facebook. Do some people not realize their every move is tracked and broadcast into friends' newsfeeds? It just brings me one step closer altogether to disconnecting from people of this type of mentality...

There. My rant is over... :)

Ferd
11-15-2011, 01:56 PM
I think I've safely concluded there are some people who love to stir up trouble or keep it stirring while it's occurring...

I saw an unspecified picture show up in my Facebook newsfeed where someone, a friend who we used to go to church together with, commented on it. I was rather surprised given what the picture was. I thought something had happened, in a good way, so I read through the comments. All but the most recent comment were made a few years ago. The most recent one was made today. Although I won't state word for word what was said, I'll just say this: it was obvious, to me, what the person commenting was doing. Bringing up past events and memories by one comment talking about how much has changed. Nothing was directed at me. But because I know about the situation and the decision I made as a result, the comment was rather obvious, and there was no need in making it since many of our mutual friends are still pretty much conneted to the same people...

What I'm trying to say is this: use common sense when commenting on things in social media, especially Facebook. Do some people not realize their every move is tracked and broadcast into friends' newsfeeds? It just brings me one step closer altogether to disconnecting from people of this type of mentality...

There. My rant is over... :)

My friend, It has been my experience that much of humanity, while thinking their actions are perfectly rational, lack even the most common of common sense.

People will do things that just are beyond the pale all the while thinking they have done the absolutly right thing.

They will even get indignant when called on their stupidity.

The christian must find a way to love them anyway. One day, im gonna ask God why? LOL.

Dagwood
11-15-2011, 01:59 PM
My friend, It has been my experience that much of humanity, while thinking their actions are perfectly rational, lack even the most common of common sense.

People will do things that just are beyond the pale all the while thinking they have done the absolutly right thing.

They will even get indignant when called on their stupidity.

The christian must find a way to love them anyway. One day, im gonna ask God why? LOL.

Appreciate your wisdom, sir!

Believe me, I almost asked why right there in the midst of the comments. But, I refrained.

By no means am I exempt from such an action; I've done my fair share. I think one would have to know the person I'm "calling out" to know just what I'm talking about, though. But, as I said earlier, I won't go into specifics. It doesn't matter at this point...

I'm with you on the whole asking God why thing. I'll be right behind you... :thumbsup

Ferd
11-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Appreciate your wisdom, sir!

Believe me, I almost asked why right there in the midst of the comments. But, I refrained.

By no means am I exempt from such an action; I've done my fair share. I think one would have to know the person I'm "calling out" to know just what I'm talking about, though. But, as I said earlier, I won't go into specifics. It doesn't matter at this point...

I'm with you on the whole asking God why thing. I'll be right behind you... :thumbsup

I have a mental image of an individual I have butted heads with a few hundred times.... they will be in heaven I have no doubt about that, but when i get there, Im going to point at them and just ask the good Lord "why"?

LOL. My mawmaw would say "they mean well" lol.

Dagwood
11-16-2011, 04:44 AM
Today's the day. My youngest daughter (4 y/o) is having eye surgery this morning at 10:00...

Praying and believing all goes well...

Amanah
11-16-2011, 05:50 AM
praying for her that all will be well

Ferd
11-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Today's the day. My youngest daughter (4 y/o) is having eye surgery this morning at 10:00...

Praying and believing all goes well...

praying bro. lemme know how it turns out.

Jay
11-16-2011, 10:57 AM
I am praying for you as your daughter is undergoing surgery.

Dagwood
11-16-2011, 01:15 PM
praying for her that all will be well

praying bro. lemme know how it turns out.

I am praying for you as your daughter is undergoing surgery.

Thank y'all much! She did well, overall. Right now, she's sleeping. But we have to watch her closely so she doesn't rub the eye. Also, we have eye drops for her, which she doesn't like as it is...

Just glad this part is over. Now for the healing and recovery so she can get back to being a normal, rowdy, and fun-loving 4 y/o again...

Jay
11-16-2011, 06:57 PM
That is excellent. I am looking forward to more updates. I am still praying for her.

houston
11-17-2011, 09:49 AM
So apparently I forgot that I am paying for a landline. I set the ringer to silent 3 yrs ago and forgot all about it. I'm going to cancel the landline and keep mobile internet.

houston
11-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Thank y'all much! She did well, overall. Right now, she's sleeping. But we have to watch her closely so she doesn't rub the eye. Also, we have eye drops for her, which she doesn't like as it is...

Just glad this part is over. Now for the healing and recovery so she can get back to being a normal, rowdy, and fun-loving 4 y/o again...

Please keep us updated.

Jay
11-17-2011, 03:56 PM
So apparently I forgot that I am paying for a landline. I set the ringer to silent 3 yrs ago and forgot all about it. I'm going to cancel the landline and keep mobile internet.

That was funny.:highfive

houston
11-17-2011, 04:00 PM
That was funny.:highfive

didn't notice ...combined billing. but this is dagger's thread. ttyl

MawMaw
11-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Hey Dagwood, I have notice a poster by the name of Blondie on here.
Isn't that your wife's name?

Dagwood
11-18-2011, 07:49 AM
Hey Dagwood, I have notice a poster by the name of Blondie on here.
Isn't that your wife's name?

Well, according to the comic strip, yes. However, the AFF Blondie isn't my wife. I didn't realize there was such a member on here 'til after I noticed a post of hers not too long ago.

I haven't gotten acquainted with her since I'm already married to my own blondie... :thumbsup

Dagwood
11-22-2011, 07:42 AM
It's the week of one of my favorite holidays, and it's hard to imagine Thanksgiving is already here.

We're staying local, as we normally do. Chow down on a nice spread. I'm sure the Cowboys game will be on but I'll pass on it; I'm not a football subscriber, or any sport subscriber for that matter (unless it's baseball or golf).

Then, it'll be "Eufala, OK here we come!" either Friday or Saturday to get my future sis-in-law moved down here to civilization in The Big D.

Here's to safe travels and blessed times for all AFF-ers and their families. Happy Thanksgiving...

houston
11-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks and stuff. have a great one.

Jay
11-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Thank you, and by the way, I eliminated two more sports than you did. Baseball and golf are more inclined to put me to sleep than 36 hours without sleep (just saying :)).

Dagwood
11-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Thank you, and by the way, I eliminated two more sports than you did. Baseball and golf are more inclined to put me to sleep than 36 hours without sleep (just saying :)).

LOL, you're a trip! I don't know why, but football, basketball, and hockey are just too rowdy for me. Of course, for someone who's on the shy, reserved side, no wonder they don't appeal to me like baseball and golf do...

Dagwood
11-22-2011, 10:24 PM
I must hit the bed now. All this technical thinking with work stuff, coupled with wireless router issues, has my mind just about run through the mill...

Working from home has its benefits and then some. But, when router issues pop up with a downed connection, it's mostly frustration from there. And late nigters trying to figure it all out...

I'm tired. G'nite... :)

Jay
11-22-2011, 11:52 PM
I will pray for your connections and routers that they will work properly when you rise in the morning.

Dagwood
11-23-2011, 05:55 AM
I will pray for your connections and routers that they will work properly when you rise in the morning.

Thanks. All is well this morning since I'm using my own personal router. Thankfully, I can switch, either using the company-paid business connection or personal. I could even go old-school and connect the ethernet. But, I like the feel of freedom! :D

On a side note, it will always amaze me at just how many wires it takes to go wireless. I'm not kidding. Behind my desk is probably, at least, a hundred feet of cords and wiring, all to be wireless...

Technology. Gotta love it...

Jay
11-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks. All is well this morning since I'm using my own personal router. Thankfully, I can switch, either using the company-paid business connection or personal. I could even go old-school and connect the ethernet. But, I like the feel of freedom! :D

On a side note, it will always amaze me at just how many wires it takes to go wireless. I'm not kidding. Behind my desk is probably, at least, a hundred feet of cords and wiring, all to be wireless...

Technology. Gotta love it...

I agree, although I just go to Denny's and let them have to deal with everything that it takes for me to be wireless. It keeps my life easy. :highfive

Dagwood
11-29-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm a few days late, but nevertheless Thanksgiving was nice. Ate plenty of the good stuff: turkey, ham, mashed potatoes w/gravy, broccoli casserole (something Ms. Dagwood made, and it was d'lish!). Plenty of desserts, too, like pumpkin pie. It was enough to have leftovers for a few days, to say the least...

Afterward, the next day, my FIL, BIL, his fiance', and her mother, all drove to Eufala, OK to move the fiance's belongings down here. It was a rather interesting, tongue-biting trip (at least for me). Cold, rainy, and windy weather further added to the frustration of moving, along with several stops on the way back home to re-tarp the trailer. Never mind the traffic on Hwy 69 coming into Atoka, and other small towns, with numerous stop lights and long traffic lines. Needless to say, what should have only taken about 5 or 6 hours (driving there, loading the trailer, and driving back) ended up taking 12 hours. It was a memorable experience, one that I hope I never have to deal with again.

Now, for the quickly-passing time for Christmas to get here. All the crazy folks getting out and about shopping. Ugh. However, if I got the chance to sit on a bench and just people-watch, I'd be content. After all, it's the most wonderful time of the year. Right?

AncientPaths
11-29-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm a few days late, but nevertheless Thanksgiving was nice. Ate plenty of the good stuff: turkey, ham, mashed potatoes w/gravy, broccoli casserole (something Ms. Dagwood made, and it was d'lish!). Plenty of desserts, too, like pumpkin pie. It was enough to have leftovers for a few days, to say the least...

Afterward, the next day, my FIL, BIL, his fiance', and her mother, all drove to Eufala, OK to move the fiance's belongings down here. It was a rather interesting, tongue-biting trip (at least for me). Cold, rainy, and windy weather further added to the frustration of moving, along with several stops on the way back home to re-tarp the trailer. Never mind the traffic on Hwy 69 coming into Atoka, and other small towns, with numerous stop lights and long traffic lines. Needless to say, what should have only taken about 5 or 6 hours (driving there, loading the trailer, and driving back) ended up taking 12 hours. It was a memorable experience, one that I hope I never have to deal with again.

Now, for the quickly-passing time for Christmas to get here. All the crazy folks getting out and about shopping. Ugh. However, if I got the chance to sit on a bench and just people-watch, I'd be content. After all, it's the most wonderful time of the year. Right?

Christmas?? You heathen.

Dagwood
12-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Christmas?? You heathen.

I only learn from the best, my friend! :thumbsup

Dagwood
12-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Recently, a friend recommended some literature upon my inquiry of some good reading material. So, after spending time deciding which to order, I decided on the following: John Piper's "Desirring God," Charles Spurgeon's "Morning and Evening" devotional, Randy Alcorn's "We Shall See God," and Matthew Henry's complete and unabridged "Commentary on the Whole Bible."

I've started on Piper's book and am already finding myself enjoying it. Like a light has gone off in my head, it puts so much into perspective.

Spurgeon's devotional is so authentic and original, as if I'm sitting there in front of him talking directly to me.

I haven't started on Alcorn's book yet, but plan to do so at the first of the year. It's a daily devotional too, just not one that covers a full year. Matter of fact, it only covers 50 days. Hmm, perhaps I should read that between Easter and Pentecost Sunday. Pefect timeline.

Henry's commentary is just mind-blowing. I've been incorporating it into my Spurgeon devotional to get a little more indepth with what I'm reading.

In the meantime, Ms. Dagwood has been reading (or has already read) "11: Indispensable Relationships You Can't Be Without" by Leonard Sweet, which is something we (other congregants) have been discussing on Wednesday nights at church, in round-table-style discussion circles. Very, very interesting to reflect on what we've been to others and what others have been to us. For example (taken from a poster's comment about the book on Amazon.com's website): Who's Your Jonathan? You Need a True Friend. Who's Your Jethro? You Need a Butt-Kicker. Who's Your Peter/Paul? You Need a Yoda. Who's Your Zaccheus? You Need a Reject.

So much good stuff...

Jay
12-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Recently, a friend recommended some literature upon my inquiry of some good reading material. So, after spending time deciding which to order, I decided on the following: John Piper's "Desirring God," Charles Spurgeon's "Morning and Evening" devotional, Randy Alcorn's "We Shall See God," and Matthew Henry's complete and unabridged "Commentary on the Whole Bible."

I've started on Piper's book and am already finding myself enjoying it. Like a light has gone off in my head, it puts so much into perspective.

Spurgeon's devotional is so authentic and original, as if I'm sitting there in front of him talking directly to me.

I haven't started on Alcorn's book yet, but plan to do so at the first of the year. It's a daily devotional too, just not one that covers a full year. Matter of fact, it only covers 50 days. Hmm, perhaps I should read that between Easter and Pentecost Sunday. Pefect timeline.

Henry's commentary is just mind-blowing. I've been incorporating it into my Spurgeon devotional to get a little more indepth with what I'm reading.

In the meantime, Ms. Dagwood has been reading (or has already read) "11: Indispensable Relationships You Can't Be Without" by Leonard Sweet, which is something we (other congregants) have been discussing on Wednesday nights at church, in round-table-style discussion circles. Very, very interesting to reflect on what we've been to others and what others have been to us. For example (taken from a poster's comment about the book on Amazon.com's website): Who's Your Jonathan? You Need a True Friend. Who's Your Jethro? You Need a Butt-Kicker. Who's Your Peter/Paul? You Need a Yoda. Who's Your Zaccheus? You Need a Reject.

So much good stuff...

I have enjoyed Matthew Henry's Commentary for several years now. I do not ever site him in my preaching, but he has had an affect on the way that I view certain passages. I sometimes will refer to him when trying to determine what has been thought of certain prophecies in the past. It is sad, but with the benefit of hindsight, passages that are plain in meaning to those of us who saw them lived, held a very different message for them. Also what does not help was his British-Israel point of view.

Dagwood
12-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Well, I must say we were blessed with The Bowling Family at church this morning, and like any other service the crowd responded rather well...

They gave their testimony on how they've managed to survive and endure the affects of the terrible wreck in their tour bus last year near Charlotte, NC. I knew it was bad but had no idea how severe the way Kelly described the incident...

We all sang new and old, twangy and non-twangy, including their version of Chris Tomlin's "Jesus, Messiah." Absolutely beautiful!

Overall, it was like a Sunday night church service from the days of old...

houston
12-14-2011, 07:27 PM
What gives, Woody? This thread does not belong on page FIVE!

Dagwood
12-16-2011, 06:35 AM
What gives, Woody? This thread does not belong on page FIVE!

Sorry, I know it's been a while. I've responded to other threads without updating mine...

What can I say? It's the most wonderful time of the year! Okay, so I'm a little caught up in the atmosphere of Christmas cheer...

Got a BIL who's getting married tomorrow, some rehearsals for men's chorale next week for our upcoming Christmas Eve service. What else?

Oh, and it's been rather cold and rainy the last few days. Go figure! For DFW, we're already 2" above normal rainfall for December, yet still 10" deficient for the year. I love Texas' bipolar weather...

houston
12-16-2011, 06:48 AM
Ah, you are busy! I miss the weather on the Wasatch Front. I had to turn on the A.C. when I got home from work yesterday.

houston
12-17-2011, 01:20 PM
I just read The Covering: God's Plan to Protect You from Evil by Hank Hanegraaff. I read the 114 pages in one sitting.

The author states that Christians need discipleship, not deliverance. He believes that Christians disciplined in prayer, fasting, and meditation of the scriptures will do more for an individual than the Bob Larson type of deliverance ministry will.

The author dedicated most of the book to discussing the armor of God. He made a statement that caused me to think, and then think some more. He states "As your waist is the center of your body, so truth is central to the full armor of God. Without it, the covering that protects you from the devil's schemes simply crumples to the ground, leaving you naked and vulnerable."

Yeah, not very deep, but I have never looked at it in that perspective until now.

bbyrd009
12-17-2011, 04:40 PM
I've seen people delivered, and seen people just quit some sin (we'll say smoking)--and I have to say that observation bears you out here. Those "delivered" likely do not experience the full lesson that discipline does. The experience of fasting also would seem to provide depths of knowing truth that I can't see a parallel for in "deliverance." I think we, as humans, are naturally impatient, and this makes us more susceptible to a "deliverance" huckster--although I wouldn't discount a true deliverance.