PDA

View Full Version : Christ Church Houston

seguidordejesus
02-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Doctrinal statement about God is a little different than Nashville, from my recollection...

http://www.christchurchhnw.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=FaithHighway/10000/4000/665CH/staff3

Michael The Disciple
02-18-2007, 12:42 AM
Trinitarian for sure.

SDG
02-18-2007, 12:42 AM
Oh My God!!!!!!!!!!!

Brother Price
02-18-2007, 06:22 AM
Trinitarian for sure.

Absolutely correct sir.

Esther
02-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Doctrinal statement about God is a little different than Nashville, from my recollection...

http://www.christchurchhnw.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=FaithHighway/10000/4000/665CH/staff3

Thought at first you were referring to Mike Anderson. Didn't know there were two churches with the same name.

Sherri
02-18-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm very surprised at the statement of faith. I just went to Christ Church Nashville's site and they still have their original one. I'm shocked that all Christ Churches don't have the same statement of faith. All of our churches have the same one we started with.

Scott Hutchinson
02-18-2007, 01:57 PM
It seems to me that they are holding to the eternal sonship doctrine,which would follow classical Trinitarian doctrine.Now saying there is One God,who has revealed Himself as Father,Son,Holy Spirit I could live with that.

CC1
02-18-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm very surprised at the statement of faith. I just went to Christ Church Nashville's site and they still have their original one. I'm shocked that all Christ Churches don't have the same statement of faith. All of our churches have the same one we started with.

Our website used to have the entire booklet "What Christ Church Beleives and Teaches" but I don't see it on there now.

When I recently picked up a copy of that booklet something caught my eye that I did not remember seeing before so I brought it home to compare with an older copy I have and sure enough something was added.

After the section that discusses the controversies over the godhead throughout church history, etc, etc, the section used to end by saying;

"In the Pentecostal movement, where many Christ Church leaders have their roots, it was felt by some that the word person created a serious misunderstanding of the very essence of the Godhead. These Pentecostal pioneers wanted to return to what they considered New Testament doctrine and practice. They truly believed that the word person could lead the church toward a polytheistic concept of God.

We are not modalists. The ancient Greek actors could only wear one persona (mask) at a time; so a true modalist would say that God was first the Father, then became the Son,, and is now the Holy Spirit. We reject this. What He has revealed to us is what He is. He not only appears to be Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, He is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. That is the essence of the early creeds.

We are not likely to settle the issue in this century. We are finally left confessing the inadequacy of human language, indeed of human thought itself, to fully express "the mystery of Godliness" "

I noticed that the latest version of this booklet now ends with something to the effect of "having said that Christ Church accepts the orthodox view of God". I can't find the newer edition tonight but I will pick one up at church on Wednesday and come back and post exactly what it says to be accurate.

CC1
02-18-2007, 09:05 PM
While Christ Church does not use typical trinitarian terminology I do not believe they see the different views of the godhead in the same way as traditional Oneness Pentecostals who view trinitarians as polytheistic.

This is what makes J. Suber's association with KP so interesting. KP is one of the few UPC preachers who have left the org. who still holds strongly to a Oneness view as being not compatible with the trinitarian view. If WH at the Breakast church in Houston still feels this way it could be interesting to see if a new group could emerge of exUPCers who don't abandon that view of the godhead and the essentiality of Jesus name baptism, etc. for salvation.

Sherri
02-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Our website used to have the entire booklet "What Christ Church Beleives and Teaches" but I don't see it on there now.

When I recently picked up a copy of that booklet something caught my eye that I did not remember seeing before so I brought it home to compare with an older copy I have and sure enough something was added.

After the section that discusses the controversies over the godhead throughout church history, etc, etc, the section used to end by saying;

"In the Pentecostal movement, where many Christ Church leaders have their roots, it was felt by some that the word person created a serious misunderstanding of the very essence of the Godhead. These Pentecostal pioneers wanted to return to what they considered New Testament doctrine and practice. They truly believed that the word person could lead the church toward a polytheistic concept of God.

We are not modalists. The ancient Greek actors could only wear one persona (mask) at a time; so a true modalist would say that God was first the Father, then became the Son,, and is now the Holy Spirit. We reject this. What He has revealed to us is what He is. He not only appears to be Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, He is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. That is the essence of the early creeds.

We are not likely to settle the issue in this century. We are finally left confessing the inadequacy of human language, indeed of human thought itself, to fully express "the mystery of Godliness" "

I noticed that the latest version of this booklet now ends with something to the effect of "having said that Christ Church accepts the orthodox view of God". I can't find the newer edition tonight but I will pick one up at church on Wednesday and come back and post exactly what it says to be accurate.

CC1--just sent you a PM.

Steve Epley
02-19-2007, 10:59 AM
The guy is a Trinitarian.

StillStanding
02-20-2007, 07:39 AM
This is interesting indeed! I did not know until visiting the website, that Christ Church Houston was a merger with two pastors.

I would imagine that the statement of faith was a compromise between the two pastors.

seguidordejesus
02-20-2007, 03:14 PM
I would imagine that the statement of faith was a compromise between the two pastors.

Yes, but is that really something you should "compromise."

StillStanding
02-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Yes, but is that really something you should "compromise."

I know I wouldn't! :)

hartmann
02-20-2007, 04:01 PM
I am surprised at this, I enjoyed his preaching and sese of humor at Christ Church, Nashville, hummmmm

CC1
02-20-2007, 06:18 PM
I am surprised at this, I enjoyed his preaching and sese of humor at Christ Church, Nashville, hummmmm

Pastor Russell does have a dry sense of humor that I love.