PDA

View Full Version : Questionability, Do You Believe In It?

Digging4Truth
02-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Do you believe that leadership should be open to being questioned on their decisions?

MrsMcD
02-26-2007, 12:24 PM
What leadership are you talking about?

Rhoni
02-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Do you believe that leadership should be open to being questioned on their decisions?

Absolutely. AS long as the problem is yours and not someone else's. By this I mean that you do not have the right to ask about the Pastor's dealings with other situations other than your own.

Blessings, Rhoni

LaVonne
02-26-2007, 12:25 PM

Oh yeah!

I don't think we should "blindly" follow leadership...if we have questions about their teaching/preaching, we should be able to question them about it.

Digging4Truth
02-26-2007, 12:28 PM
What leadership are you talking about?

When I typed out the question I stopped for a moment and considered what word to use there.

I purposely used Leadership because I would like to know your opinion on whatever type of leadership you would like to comment.

But... this being a religous forum... I am speaking mainly of various forms of church leadership.

MrsMcD
02-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Oh yeah!

I don't think we should "blindly" follow leadership...if we have questions about their teaching/preaching, we should be able to question them about it.

But what happens when you do question them?

Rhoni
02-26-2007, 12:30 PM

You are out the door...how dare you question leadership...you might go out the church door and be run over by a drunk driver on your way home...and that is what you deserve for questioning authority.:heeheehee

Digging4Truth
02-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Oh yeah!

Indeed...

And... as with all things... moderation is the key. Intent has a lot to do with it as well.

I think we should feel free to question when we don't understand or have a problem with something...

But we should also search ourselves and do our best to make sure within our ownselves that we aren't just being arguementative or attempting to control someone to our own ends.

LaVonne
02-26-2007, 12:32 PM

Hmmm...I don't know! LOL

The last time my husband questioned leadership, he found that he was no longer teaching the Adult Sunday School.

LaVonne
02-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Indeed...

And... as with all things... moderation is the key. Intent has a lot to do with it as well.

I think we should feel free to question when we don't understand or have a problem with something...

But we should also search ourselves and do our best to make sure within our ownselves that we aren't just being arguementative or attempting to control someone to our own ends.

I agree totally!

MrsMcD
02-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Hmmm...I don't know! LOL

The last time my husband questioned leadership, he found that he was no longer teaching the Adult Sunday School.

My point exactly!

LaVonne
02-26-2007, 12:36 PM
My point exactly!

Honestly though, I do not believe all leadership is like this.

MissBrattified
02-26-2007, 12:40 PM

Yes. Although I think that respect should be shown whenever questions are posed. I don't think that anyone needs to tolerate disrespect and impertinence.

The person asking the questions needs to be open to receiving answers they don't agree with and loving their leader[s] anyway. :nod

LaVonne
02-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Yes. Although I think that respect should be shown whenever questions are posed. I don't think that anyone needs to tolerate disrespect and impertinence.

The person asking the questions needs to be open to receiving answers they don't agree with and loving their leader[s] anyway. :nod

Great answer!

MrsMcD
02-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Honestly though, I do not believe all leadership is like this.

You are right. Once upon a time in my life, I had one man in leadership that wanted to know how people felt. He would ask, analyze, and make necessary changes. We always knew that he was open for questions, suggestions, etc.

It's too bad not every one is like that. I think that some people in leadership are too intimated by others. Maybe people with a stronger personality than theirs intimidates them and they feel threatened and the truth is they shouldn't. We can all compliment each other if we allow it.

Rhoni
02-26-2007, 12:43 PM

:highfive

MissBrattified
02-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Well, you know, if my questions revealed a disagreement with my pastor on a core doctrinal issue or something else that disturbed him, then it is fair to accept the consequence of my questioning: I will no longer be teaching doctrine. :killinme

It would be silly to assume that questions have no consequences other than answers. Some questions reveal our own attitudes and perspectives, and if they are in too much opposition to the leadership, there may very well be consequences. There's nothing wrong with honesty, but it isn't fair to think that when we are honest about ourselves or our views that others can't respond accordingly.

Digging4Truth
02-26-2007, 12:44 PM
You are right. Once upon a time in my life, I had one man in leadership that wanted to know how people felt. He would ask, analyze, and make necessary changes. We always knew that he was open for questions, suggestions, etc.

It's too bad not every one is like that. I think that some people in leadership are too intimated by others. Maybe people with a stronger personality than theirs intimidates them and they feel threatened and the truth is they shouldn't. We can all compliment each other if we allow it.

Indeed... there are some great leaders out there who are a pleasure to be under.

For the others... on the issue of questioning... perhaps the concept of "counting the cost" should be considered. :)

Rhoni
02-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Well, you know, if my questions revealed a disagreement with my pastor on a core doctrinal issue or something else that disturbed him, then it is fair to accept the consequence of my questioning: I will no longer be teaching doctrine. :killinme

It would be silly to assume that questions have no consequences other than answers. Some questions reveal our own attitudes and perspectives, and if they are in too much opposition to the leadership, there may very well be consequences. There's nothing wrong with honesty, but it isn't fair to think that when we are honest about ourselves or our views that others can't respond accordingly.

:highfive point taken:heeheehee

LaVonne
02-26-2007, 12:45 PM

This is good insight. I also believe there can be an element of fear involved. However, I'm not sure how to go about wording all this...

Rhoni
02-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Indeed... there are some great leaders out there who are a pleasure to be under.

For the others... on the issue of questioning... perhaps the concept of "counting the cost" should be considered. :)

Yep...like I said...you could walk out the door of the church and be struck by a drunk driver and get your reward for questioning the leadership;):heeheehee

MissBrattified
02-26-2007, 12:46 PM
You are out the door...how dare you question leadership...you might go out the church door and be run over by a drunk driver on your way home...and that is what you deserve for questioning authority.:heeheehee

Sad how many times I've heard threats or implied threats like this. Or entire sermons preached about how Johnny the backslidden Preacher's Son was killed after walking out the back door and rebelling againt the pastor. Maybe the story (ies) are true, and the warnings are often warranted, but too often they are used to manipulate people into silence.

Digging4Truth
02-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Yep...like I said...you could walk out the door of the church and be struck by a drunk driver and get your reward for questioning the leadership;):heeheehee

Yes... when one leaves a church they should be very careful for the rest of their lives because of they ever die of anything but old age (and a RIPE old age at that) then SOMEONE is going to get a great sermon out of that. :)

LaVonne
02-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Yes... when one leaves a church they should be very careful for the rest of their lives because of they ever die of anything but old age (and a RIPE old age at that) then SOMEONE is going to get a great sermon out of that. :)

Hahahaha...I think I've heard a few of those! ;)

MrsMcD
02-26-2007, 12:48 PM

:killinme :killinme :killinme

Digging4Truth
02-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Hahahaha...I think I've heard a few of those! ;)

LOL... the best course of action is, if at all possible, to outlive the brother. :)

If you are in a nursing home and in a near vegetative state... HOLD ON!!!!!!!!!! :)

LaVonne
02-26-2007, 12:49 PM
LOL... the best course of action is to outlive the brother. :)

:heeheehee

LaVonne
02-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Just for the record, my husband has never questioned salvational doctrine...but rather, some of the unscriptural doctrine. Also, we have much respect for the authority God has placed over us.

Digging4Truth
02-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Just for the record, my husband has never questioned salvational doctrine...but rather, some of the unscriptural doctrine.

If one is going to question doctrine... the unscriptural kind is the best kind to question. :)

Chan
Do you believe that leadership should be open to being questioned on their decisions?If their decisions appear to be inconsistent with scripture, yes. However, I think that those who seem automatically inclined to question leadership have a rebellious spirit.

Rhoni

:heeheehee EXACTLY

LaVonne
02-26-2007, 12:53 PM
If one is going to question doctrine... the unscriptural kind is the best kind to question. :)

Yeah...I thought so too!

Margies3
02-26-2007, 12:59 PM
There is, however, a difference between questioning leadership because you need to know the reasoning in order to understand better and thereby grow or questioning leadership because you are sure you are right and they are wrong and you want to drive that point home to them.

ZeroedIn
02-26-2007, 01:01 PM

Doctrine is one thing. If you are questioning your church's stance on a particular subject. Say, a platform standard, membership standard. If you don't like it, you don't have to go there. The church I attend has three levels. Fellowship, Membership and Leadership. All three have different requirements.

Fellowship-Anyone and Everyone(Exception to those that sow discord,disunity)

Membership-Believe the Salvational Doctrine, Keep a holiness standard based on biblical/scriptural examples, Support the church in finance, attendance, prayer, fasting

Leadership-Same as Membership with additional commitment to even higher standard and accountability on all levels.

RevDWW
02-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Sure, you should be able to ask anything of those in leadership but your attitude in asking needs to be right. Constructive rather than destructive, would be good as well.

Felicity
02-26-2007, 01:27 PM

The person asking the questions needs to be open to receiving answers they don't agree with and loving their leader[s] anyway. :nod Bingo!!

Felicity
02-26-2007, 01:28 PM
If their decisions appear to be inconsistent with scripture, yes. However, I think that those who seem automatically inclined to question leadership have a rebellious spirit.This is very often true. Important point to make!

Rhoni
02-26-2007, 01:29 PM
There is, however, a difference between questioning leadership because you need to know the reasoning in order to understand better and thereby grow or questioning leadership because you are sure you are right and they are wrong and you want to drive that point home to them.

This is so true!:ty

Esther
02-26-2007, 01:37 PM
How you ask the questions would be an important consideration.

I love my pastor, and he was made decisions that I don't agree with, but I have never made an issue of it nor plan to.

We are building a new church and they were kind enough to show us their color selections and I was kind enough to keep my opinions to myself. :)

I personally like to see churches with light colors that gives a feeling of uplifting and not dull colors that are more depressing. But unfortunately, that seems to be the trend of today. But I'm sure I'll get over it since I lived with the oranges in the 70's I am sure I can survive it again.

But why would I want to burden him down with opinions when he needs to be lifted up?

Now IF he were going against scripture I would feel very comfortable to say, Bro. did I understand you correctly? Because it could be I didn't, so why not give him the benefit of doubt?

Again, I love my pastor and I don't expect him to be perfect and if he expects me to be perfect he shall surely be disappointed. :)

Digging4Truth
02-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Chan View Post
If their decisions appear to be inconsistent with scripture, yes. However, I think that those who seem automatically inclined to question leadership have a rebellious spirit.

So very true...

I am a partial preterist. My pastor doesn't even know it. If he did... he might feel compelled to "deal with me". I have no desire to attempt to "line him up" to my beliefs. To me these are not heaven/hell issues and I don't see more good coming out of my approaching him about these things than bad.

We should feel no need to make sure that leaders see everything the way we do. We all have our own amount of "play in the wheel" when it comes to peripheral doctrines and thoughts. We should allow each other room to be who we are and not demand that everyone else be a "Mini Me". After all... what he believes now is part of the path that took me to what I believe now. What if I had been attacked on my journey? Give people some faith.

One thing is for sure.. if there is a saint who feels the need to make sure their leaders see everything the way they see it... that person should never, ever, ever, ever , ever be in leadership.

They will kill more than they save.

Digging4Truth
02-26-2007, 01:42 PM
How you ask the questions would be an important consideration.

Wooop dair it is...
Wooop dair it is...
Wooop dair it is...

:)

This thread has really shown some thoughtful, prayerful and well rounded thought processes...

AFF ROCKS!!!!!!!!!! :)

LaVonne
02-26-2007, 02:20 PM
So very true...

I am a partial preterist. My pastor doesn't even know it. If he did... he might feel compelled to "deal with me". I have no desire to attempt to "line him up" to my beliefs. To me these are not heaven/hell issues and I don't see more good coming out of my approaching him about these things than bad.

We should feel no need to make sure that leaders see everything the way we do. We all have our own amount of "play in the wheel" when it comes to peripheral doctrines and thoughts. We should allow each other room to be who we are and not demand that everyone else be a "Mini Me". After all... what he believes now is part of the path that took me to what I believe now. What if I had been attacked on my journey? Give people some faith.

One thing is for sure.. if there is a saint who feels the need to make sure their leaders see everything the way they see it... that person should never, ever, ever, ever , ever be in leadership.
They will kill more than they save.

Right you are!

whollyHis
02-26-2007, 02:23 PM

Example???
I have been in church all of my life, and I can't think of a time when I have ever went to the man of God and actually questioned his decision about something. I HAVE questioned my present pastor quite extensively about his BELIEFs on certain subjects- but, never a decision.