PDA

View Full Version : WIFE SWAP - February 12, 2007 - UPCI Couple

Pages : [1] 2

SoCaliUPC
02-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Posting this from the new old forum.....

For those with TV's.....Tune in on Monday on ABC (8pm Eastern/7pm central) for Wife Swap....which will feature a UPCI couple trading spouses with a punk rock family.

Let the discussion begin!!!

Praxeas
02-09-2007, 09:58 PM

For those with TV's.....Tune in on Monday on ABC (8pm Eastern/7pm central) for Wife Swap....which will feature a UPCI couple trading spouses with a punk rock family.

Oh...you sure the punk rock family isn't the UPC family? :eek:

Garfield
02-09-2007, 09:59 PM
QUOTE (vrblackwell @ Feb 9 2007, 04:42 PM)
My friend is doing an interview with this family for ninetyandnine.com after it airs. Is there any questions you would like to see asked of them?

Please ask them about this...

It is very evident that spirituality and holiness are deeply entwined together. The Scriptures teach that carnality is enmity toward God. The use of media must therefore be carefully considered so that we do not take the beautiful truths of God unto areas that will contribute to the downfall of a child of God.

The use of television in the home has become a serious concern to parents, teachers, sociologists, politicians, and religious leaders. Statistically, evidence indicates that the increase in violence, sexual immorality, and destruction of the family is in part caused by the display of these evils on television. We must strive always for a spiritual position in our living, and wisely, the United Pentecostal Church International has warned its members of the evils displayed on television programs and admonished them not to have television sets in their homes for the sake of their spiritual welfare.

http://www.upci.org/doctrine/holiness.asp

Monkeyman
02-09-2007, 10:00 PM

It is very evident that spirituality and holiness are deeply entwined together. The Scriptures teach that carnality is enmity toward God. The use of media must therefore be carefully considered so that we do not take the beautiful truths of God unto areas that will contribute to the downfall of a child of God.

The use of television in the home has become a serious concern to parents, teachers, sociologists, politicians, and religious leaders. Statistically, evidence indicates that the increase in violence, sexual immorality, and destruction of the family is in part caused by the display of these evils on television. We must strive always for a spiritual position in our living, and wisely, the United Pentecostal Church International has warned its members of the evils displayed on television programs and admonished them not to have television sets in their homes for the sake of their spiritual welfare.

Ask them WHAT????!!!!

Garfield
02-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Ask them WHAT????!!!!

You know, ask them how they (a UPCI couple) feels about being on TV in violation of the UPCI manual concerning TV for starters.

LaGirl
02-09-2007, 10:08 PM
You know, ask them how they (a UPCI couple) feels about being on TV in violation of the UPCI manual concerning TV for starters.

is the man in the family a minister?

Monkeyman
02-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Did Miss. district violate the manual by starring in a movie? (Your avatar)

Garfield
02-09-2007, 10:11 PM

SoCaliUPC
02-09-2007, 10:18 PM

First of all...they are not ministers. The manual does not apply.

SoCaliUPC
02-09-2007, 10:19 PM

Garfield...as someone who knows this family (and if CC1 gets on here...he knows this family too) there is no need to worry.

HeavenlyOne
02-09-2007, 10:20 PM

Uh....the manual is for ministers, not the saints.

ManOfWord
02-09-2007, 10:33 PM

I agree. Just what does the manual have to do with this anyway? The manual does not govern our lives, the scriptures do.

vrblackwell
02-09-2007, 11:24 PM

That's not a queation, thats a statment. And as it has already been pointed out, they are not members of the UPCI. They just attend a church that had a UPCI pastor.

SoCaliUPC
02-09-2007, 11:25 PM
I agree. Just what does the manual have to do with this anyway? The manual does not govern our lives, the scriptures do.

Amen!!

Praxeas
02-10-2007, 12:03 AM
That's not a queation, thats a statment. And as it has already been pointed out, they are not members of the UPCI. They just attend a church that had a UPCI pastor.
What do you mean "had"? What are they now?

John Atkinson
02-10-2007, 07:22 AM
Here is a thought to throw out,

Wouldn't it be something if the influence of that UPC family was enough to show the punk family the reality of Jesus. This may be that punk familys best hope for heaven.

I wouldn't do that myself but, hey...

whollyHis
02-10-2007, 09:56 AM
I would like to know what she thught about at night, sleeping in a house with another man...LOL

I have only slept in a house with my husband for 25 years...it would be weird...

CC1
02-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Garfield...as someone who knows this family (and if CC1 gets on here...he knows this family too) there is no need to worry.

The UPC family involved has long and strong ties with the UPC. We are talking several generations of involvement at the ministerial level and beyond.

The husband and wife are first class and to my knowledge people of impeccable character and reputation.

I have to admit I was very shocked they chose to do this. I would have never guessed they would have done it but in all fairness I don't personally know them all that well.

The wife is a beautiful, classy woman who will reflect well on Penteost. The man is intelligent, witty, and well spoken.

I don't think UPC folks have to fear another "Borat" incident although Hollywood editing always scares me.

There are some behind the scenes stories of things that happened during filming that I would love to share here but cannot. Hopefully after the program airs we can get the husband to register here and share some things. Or it may all be in that ninetyandnine interview.

CC1
02-10-2007, 10:06 AM
I would like to know what she thught about at night, sleeping in a house with another man...LOL

I have only slept in a house with my husband for 25 years...it would be weird...

I have a funny story about a situation similar to this. I was staying with a minister's family one time for awhile. It was a husband, wife, and several teenage children.

The husband had to go out of town for a couple of days but it was no problem because the kids were always around and for sure at night.

The husband was supposed to be gone two nights but unexpectedly was able to come home the second night. He arrived quite late and quietly slipped into the master bedroom and into bed with his wife.

Since she was not expecting him until the next day and she was in a deep sleep when she realized someone had gottne into bed with her she freaked out and at first thought that I had gotten in bed with her!!

We all had a good laugh the next morning when she told the story. We had been family friends for many years so it was not awkward or anything.

Drama Queen
02-10-2007, 10:26 AM
I wanna trade for awhile.... anybody here think they could put up with mine for a couple weeks?

whollyHis
02-10-2007, 01:15 PM
I wanna trade for awhile.... anybody here think they could put up with mine for a couple weeks?

heehee...better put some money behind that offer,sis!!!! LOL

SoCaliUPC
02-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Here is a thought to throw out,

Wouldn't it be something if the influence of that UPC family was enough to show the punk family the reality of Jesus. This may be that punk familys best hope for heaven.

I wouldn't do that myself but, hey...

I think what happens at the end...may just be the start of something.

It will be veeeeery interesting for some of you to learn more on the past of this punk family.

SoCaliUPC
02-10-2007, 02:55 PM
The UPC family involved has long and strong ties with the UPC. We are talking several generations of involvement at the ministerial level and beyond.

The husband and wife are first class and to my knowledge people of impeccable character and reputation.

I have to admit I was very shocked they chose to do this. I would have never guessed they would have done it but in all fairness I don't personally know them all that well.

The wife is a beautiful, classy woman who will reflect well on Penteost. The man is intelligent, witty, and well spoken.

I don't think UPC folks have to fear another "Borat" incident although Hollywood editing always scares me.

There are some behind the scenes stories of things that happened during filming that I would love to share here but cannot. Hopefully after the program airs we can get the husband to register here and share some things. Or it may all be in that ninetyandnine interview.

Isn't that the truth. I do not in any way want to jeopardize this family and their contract prior to the airdate of this episode. There are some wonderful stories during the filming and after that may shock some of ya. But, I am also working on having this person register and share some things with everyone. Sometimes God uses unthinkable ways to reach people.

MrsMcD
02-10-2007, 02:59 PM
You all have my curiosity up. I can't wait to watch it. I can't imagine what the couple that isn't familiar with a UPC type of religion is going to think.

BoredOutOfMyMind
02-10-2007, 03:01 PM

Now THAT is funny!

Steve Epley
02-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Guess I will miss it.:donuts

Neck
02-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Did Miss. district violate the manual by starring in a movie? (Your avatar)

The problem with the UPCI Manual it is stuck in 2nd gear. Get out of the speed lane if you are going to drive 35.

Drama Queen
02-10-2007, 03:40 PM
heehee...better put some money behind that offer,sis!!!! LOL

How much do you think it's gonna cost me? :hmmm :couch

rrford
02-10-2007, 03:44 PM
The problem with the UPCI Manual it is stuck in 2nd gear. Get out of the speed lane if you are going to drive 35.

Ah, those blessed opinions...

Newman
02-10-2007, 03:58 PM

I can't wait to see it. I figured out who it is and I "know" them too. I got a Christmas card from them before with their beautiful children on the cover.

I think if anyone is going to do well on a program like this; it would be them. Of course; as CC1 points out....editing can change the actual story dramatically. It shall be interesting indeed.

Punk family? Just someone with Pentecostal roots somewhere in the family tree calling for attention, right? That would be my best guess. You can run, but you cannot hide... :encore

Garfield
02-10-2007, 05:42 PM
First of all...they are not ministers. The manual does not apply.

Well, folks you can't have it BOTH ways. Either the people are UPC or they are not. Either the manual applies to everyone or it applies to no one.

secretplace
02-10-2007, 06:22 PM
When they stand before the Lord He will say "Well done--the wife swap thingy was the best thing you ever did for me". TIC

vrblackwell
02-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Well, folks you can't have it BOTH ways. Either the people are UPC or they are not. Either the manual applies to everyone or it applies to no one.

They do not pay dues to the Org. They are not sent a card every year from the Org. They are not sent a manual every year from the Org. They are not sent an affirmation statement to sign and send in every other year from the Org. They cannot go to the UPCI business meeting at General Conference and vote.

Now you figure it out Einstein. :ranting :tease

HeavenlyOne
02-10-2007, 07:54 PM

I have been corrected. If a church is UPC affiliated, those members are also members of the UPCI.

HeavenlyOne
02-10-2007, 08:16 PM

People, including myself, consider themselves UPC because their pastor is licensed with them. Churches that are affiliated are also considered to be UPC members along with ministers.

Garfield
02-11-2007, 09:19 AM
They do not pay dues to the Org. They are not sent a card every year from the Org. They are not sent a manual every year from the Org. They are not sent an affirmation statement to sign and send in every other year from the Org. They cannot go to the UPCI business meeting at General Conference and vote.

Now you figure it out Einstein. :ranting :tease

Thanks, but I'm not Einstein and you aren't Haney. It's amazing the douplespeak that some of you have. I'm UPC! I'm NOT UPC! It just depends if it's convient for the day, sorta like a situational convience.

Garfield
02-11-2007, 09:20 AM
People, including myself, consider themselves UPC because their pastor is licensed with them. Churches that are affiliated are also considered to be UPC members along with ministers.

Exactly. Thanks for an HONEST, no dodgem, answer.

CC1
02-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Garfield,

A little reality check here. The majority of churches pastoed by UPC pastors are not affiliated. While technically those people may not be "UPC" they consider themselves, their churches, and their pastors UPC. I grew up in the UPC from birth and had no idea of the distinction between affiliated and non affilated churches until I was in a UPC Bible College. We considered ourselves UPC whether or not our church was officially affiliated because our pastor was, we used UPC material, we attended UPC meetings, camps, etc.

You are pulling a Bill Clinton here in the vein of "it depends on what the meaning of "is" is".

MrsMcD
02-11-2007, 01:09 PM
This is what the channel listing says about this episode:

Wife Swap (New) Reality, Meeks/Hoover A religious, conservative mother swaps families with a punk-rock mom who believes partying is important in life.

This should be very interesting. Of course, since 24 comes on tomorrow night, I will have to record wife swap. :heeheehee

vrblackwell
02-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Garfield,

A little reality check here. The majority of churches pastoed by UPC pastors are not affiliated. While technically those people may not be "UPC" they consider themselves, their churches, and their pastors UPC. I grew up in the UPC from birth and had no idea of the distinction between affiliated and non affilated churches until I was in a UPC Bible College. We considered ourselves UPC whether or not our church was officially affiliated because our pastor was, we used UPC material, we attended UPC meetings, camps, etc.

You are pulling a Bill Clinton here in the vein of "it depends on what the meaning of "is" is".

I know and understand what you are trying to say. However, I believe the point was, rather are not the people are bound by the articles of faith that a licensed minister is, and they are not. Why, because in reallity, they are not a member of the UPCI.

Apostolic Kitty
02-11-2007, 01:39 PM
You all have my curiosity up. I can't wait to watch it. I can't imagine what the couple that isn't familiar with a UPC type of religion is going to think.

But the question is this... Are they unfamiliar? SoCal's got me wonderin! I'm thinkin Newman may be right on this one..

BoredOutOfMyMind
02-11-2007, 02:06 PM
This is what the channel listing says about this episode:

Wife Swap (New) Reality, Meeks/Hoover A religious, conservative mother swaps families with a punk-rock mom who believes partying is important in life.

This should be very interesting. Of course, since 24 comes on tomorrow night, I will have to record wife swap. :heeheehee

Episode information from ABC website (http://abc.go.com/primetime/wifeswap/episode/index.html)

It will be interesting to see the rules changed for these families.
:crazy

Drama Queen
02-11-2007, 02:17 PM

Oh good grief! Why don't we all let everyone be SPIRIT lead and stop judging the next person. I don’t recall those people that have decided to be apart of wife swap asking our opinion. :beatdeadhorse

BTW... just wondering where I can get the new and improved bibles? You know the one where some UPCers stapled the manual and affirmation statement to the back of the bible. Do they sell those online? :highfive :tease

Garfield
02-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the reality check. Silly old me has been thinking that the UPC manual was a governing document for UPC churches pastored by UPC ministers. Help me out here. So am I understanding this right. The UPC manual is a big fat zero to the laity and only applies to the UPC ministry? And then the manual only applies to the ministry if the ministry wants it to apply? (As in UPC preachers that sign the AF and have a TV)

ManOfWord
02-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the reality check. Silly old me has been thinking that the UPC manual was a governing document for UPC churches pastored by UPC ministers. Help me out here. So am I understanding this right. The UPC manual is a big fat zero to the laity and only applies to the UPC ministry? And then the manual only applies to the ministry if the ministry wants it to apply? (As in UPC preachers that sign the AF and have a TV)

Yep, that's pretty much it! Any other questions? :D

Drama Queen
02-11-2007, 08:19 PM

Yeah.. . . that's sounds about right.

He Can Be Taught! :cheer :woohoo :cheer

ManOfWord
02-11-2007, 08:26 PM
I have been seeing the promos for this episode on TV. This looks to be VERY interesting.

I wonder how many UPC people will be at Walmart tomorrow night!!!! (in the electronic/TV area) :D

seguidordejesus
02-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Is this show available on the internet anywhere?

Drama Queen
02-11-2007, 08:59 PM

It's on ABC. :tvhappy

Try abc.com

whollyHis
02-11-2007, 09:01 PM

Why?

Drama Queen
02-11-2007, 09:02 PM
I have been seeing the promos for this episode on TV. This looks to be VERY interesting.

I wonder how many UPC people will be at Walmart tomorrow night!!!! (in the electronic/TV area) :D

Wal-Mart nothin'......

I'll be right here at home in front to my 62 inch microwave! :tvhappy

rrford
02-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Wal-Mart nothin'......

I'll be right here at home in front to my 62 inch microwave! :tvhappy

Hmmm, now that is intersting seein' as how someone I know posted elsewhere that he does not have a television in his home. (Is this one of those cases of "spousal property?":killinme )

Drama Queen
02-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Hmmm, now that is intersting seein' as how someone I know posted elsewhere that he does not have a television in his home. (Is this one of those cases of "spousal property?":killinme )

Now brutha... you didn't read my post very good! I said MICROWAVE! :bliss

NLYP
02-11-2007, 09:24 PM

OK.....MOVING ON....................:beatdeadhorse

whollyHis
02-11-2007, 09:25 PM

Hmmm...you in DENIAL, bro??? LOL See the 'Dear Rhoni' thread...

rrford
02-11-2007, 09:26 PM

LOL! Of course we have to move on.

You must make some serious cash to afford one of those microwaves that has a TV tuner built in. I knew they had refrigerators like that. Just hadn't seen the microwaves yet.

Note to self: Got to Sears and visit the Appliance Department tomorrow.:heeheehee

BoredOutOfMyMind
02-11-2007, 09:32 PM

Thank you for not putting up that combover avatar!

http://abc.go.com/primetime/wifeswap/index.html[/url]

Monday, February 12, 8/7c
"Meeks/Hoover"
An ultra conservative mom who believes that a woman's place is in the home swaps lives with a mom who refuses to give up her dream of being a rock star.
TV Rating: TV-PG -- For more info visit www.tvguidelines.org

seguidordejesus
02-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Thank you for not putting up that combover avatar!

http://goodnewscafe.net/forums/image.php?u=12&dateline=1170559802[

Just for you!

seguidordejesus
02-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Why?

Think about it a little while. I'll get back to you on that :)

AmazingGrace
02-11-2007, 09:44 PM

yes most of the channels show replays of the shows some usually start about an hour after it has aired... so try about 8 pm and you might be able to see it on abc dot com.... (not sure if we can put the links so there lol) yes you should be able to after it has aired :)

whollyHis
02-11-2007, 09:46 PM

My thoughts were scaring me- thus the question...:heeheehee

(you know what they say about 'evil surmisings') :praying

ZeroedIn
02-12-2007, 09:07 AM
When they wrote they Bible they based mostly on things written in the UPC manual!:tease :tease :tease :killinme

StillStanding
02-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Tonights the night!! Mrs. Pianoman and I were watching a program and they showed a promo of tonights program. She said, "They look UPC!". I said, "Yep!"

note: I told her NFCF was dead! She rejoiced with great joy!
(She doesn't know about AFF....YET!)

Carpenter
02-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Tonights the night!! Mrs. Pianoman and I were watching a program and they showed a promo of tonights program. She said, "They look UPC!". I said, "Yep!"

Doesn't the promo have the UPC woman singing in the bar the other wife was singing in?

I didn't see the bar-broad singing in church in any promo...anyone else?

rrford
02-12-2007, 10:11 AM

Will your wife answer your cell phone if I call? I can't imagine you would keep this place from your wife. She would probably enjoy posting here.

rrford
02-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Doesn't the promo have the UPC woman singing in the bar the other wife was singing in?

You have to watch the whole program to get that part.

StillStanding
02-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Will your wife answer your cell phone if I call? I can't imagine you would keep this place from your wife. She would probably enjoy posting here.

You obviously don't know Mrs. Pianoman! :tease She doesn't check my cell phone, but she does check PMs and emails from time to time! I have nothing to hide, so I don't mind! :)

CC1
02-12-2007, 11:01 AM

ROFLMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:killinm e :killinme :killinme

Pianoperson and I were talking after church (or maybe at Pastor's wedding) yesterday and it is ixnay on the foruma. She must never know!!!!

Just let her be happy knowing that NFCF is no more. The knowledge of AF would not please her.

I told Pianoperson he is going to have to be careful not to leave the computer on and with the forum up!!!! In fact he needs to wipe his history after each visit. That Mrs. Pianoperson is a sharp cookie.

SoCaliUPC
02-12-2007, 11:17 AM

According to the husband, due to the taping situation, they never taped on Sunday. Remember, it was only 6 days.

Steve Epley
02-12-2007, 11:36 AM
I guess I will miss it.:bliss :bliss :bliss

COOPER
02-12-2007, 11:43 AM
My wife and I will be watching for sure!

Margies3
02-12-2007, 12:17 PM

Whys come it would be ok to watch the show on the internet, but it would be wrong to own a tv so you could watch it in the comfort of your own home?? If it's wrong, it's wrong, If it's not, it's not.

I'm sure that I am not the first one who has been struck by the ridiculousness of that kind of thinking, so there's no need to respond. Just let me sit here shaking my head.

John Atkinson
02-12-2007, 12:21 PM
the 90&9 interview with Sis Hoover
http://www.ninetyandnine.net/cover/20070212.html?PHPSESSID=f89de4140828f34432b568bb79 fe105c

rgcraig
02-12-2007, 02:15 PM
http://www.ninetyandnine.net/cover/20070212.html?PHPSESSID=f89de4140828f34432b568bb79 fe105c

Thanks for posting this John!

ManOfWord
02-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Well, the gauntlet has been thrown down!! Here we go! Gonna be hard to watch this and Jack Bauer both!! :D

ManOfWord
02-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Kinda making them out to be far more conservatvie than UPC, IMO, right now.

CC1
02-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Well, the gauntlet has been thrown down!! Here we go! Gonna be hard to watch this and Jack Bauer both!! :D

Haven't you heard of DVR's??????

I am cooking dinner right now and taping both 24 and Wife Swap on the dual tuner high def receiver!!!!

(During my sabbatical from NFCF I put in the new home theater. 92" screen and high def projector!!!!)

rgcraig
02-12-2007, 06:11 PM
So CC1, do I know this lady?

ManOfWord
02-12-2007, 06:13 PM

I am cooking dinner right now and taping both 24 and Wife Swap on the dual tuner high def receiver!!!!

(During my sabbatical from NFCF I put in the new home theater. 92" screen and high def projector!!!!)

Oh, man! This is going to be hard. Don't have a DVR!!!!

They're not making the UPC husband out to be a very nice guy!!

rgcraig
Oh, man! This is going to be hard. Don't have a DVR!!!!

They're not making the UPC husband out to be a very nice guy!!
Steve is the life of the party......

MrsMcD

You got this right! My husband has to watch 24. I can only watch "Wife Swap" during commercials.

rgcraig
02-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Ex-pastor?

Hmmmmm......

ManOfWord
02-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Unbelievable!!!! The rocker husband used to be a pastor!!! Whoa!!!!

ManOfWord
02-12-2007, 06:15 PM
WOW, from pastor to punk rocker is not that far?

ManOfWord
02-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Dude, the guy has a filthy mouth.

Ferd
02-12-2007, 06:20 PM

oh I hate you.

ManOfWord
02-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Wow, the UPC guy is so kind and compassionate!

rgcraig
02-12-2007, 06:23 PM

I think they have asked him to be like that - he doesn't seem natural.

Cotton Mather
02-12-2007, 06:25 PM
I think they have asked him to be like that - he doesn't seem natural.

Renda!!!!!

A UPC guy being kind and compassionate is not natural?

LOL! :killinme

ManOfWord
02-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Hey, at least she got to "witness" at the bar!

ManOfWord
02-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Boy, I hope somebody on here knows this guy and is able to tell us that he really is nothing like this at all!!! Anyone?

Hello?

Anyone there?

rgcraig
Renda!!!!!

A UPC guy being kind and compassionate is not natural?

LOL! :killinme

I believe MOW was TIC with that comment. He's being a hard nose. Of course, it could be from his other background, not UPC.

Ron

I thought that was a given??:D

rgcraig
02-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Boy, I hope somebody on here knows this guy and is able to tell us that he really is nothing like this at all!!! Anyone?

Hello?

Anyone there?I'd like to hear that too......

Ron
02-12-2007, 06:28 PM
I believe MOW was TIC with that comment. He's being a hard nose. Of course, it could be from his other background, not UPC.

Renda! Lets leave personal looks out of this, besides everyone knows MOW is a pushover!:D

Ronzo
02-12-2007, 06:31 PM
I just watched five minutes of it... that was about all I could take.

lol

Ron
02-12-2007, 06:32 PM
What are you watching?

Ronzo
02-12-2007, 06:33 PM
The wifeswap show y'all are talking about.

rgcraig
02-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Making them pour out the alcohol....that rocks!

Now that cradle being damged is just wrong....that looks like a heirloom.

Ron
02-12-2007, 06:36 PM
The wifeswap show y'all are talking about.

I don't swap my wife with nobody!!!!!!!

BTW That Melon hat you are wearing Rozo looks real nice!:D

John Atkinson
02-12-2007, 06:44 PM
I guess I will miss it.:bliss :bliss :bliss
I guess we both did....:bliss

ManOfWord
02-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Wow, Steve's laughing!

rgcraig
02-12-2007, 06:50 PM
I can't wait to hear the "other stories" - I think they are going to be great!

ManOfWord
02-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Jack Bauer's got a real problem!!!

Oops.....wrong thread!!!

rgcraig
02-12-2007, 06:52 PM
I noticed the one little girl had on pants with a skirt over it - looked cute.

ManOfWord
02-12-2007, 06:55 PM
I haven't noticed any mention of the UPC. Did I miss it?

rgcraig
02-12-2007, 06:56 PM
I haven't noticed any mention of the UPC. Did I miss it?
I don't think there was - I did see in the rules that she wrote the word Pentecostal.

ManOfWord
02-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Well, it's all over but the shoutin! I think it was kind of anti-climatic.

They really made the husband look like an ogre. I trust that he's really not like that.

rgcraig
02-12-2007, 07:05 PM

They really made the husband look like an ogre. I trust that he's really not like that.

Well, he did say he did learn to relax and have fun with the kids....so he probably was.

BoredOutOfMyMind
02-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Tish's Rules

Hoover Household Rule Changes

Mission Statement: Steve, your wife is trapped caring for your children and you don't lift a finger to help.

1. Steve, your wife is trapped caring for your children and you don't lift a finger to help.

2. Girls, there is more than one way to be a woman. These are called pants and you will be trying them out for the rest of my time here.

3. Ladies don't have to be bakers and mommies. Ladies can also be rock stars. So girls, there will be no more home school. You will be having rock school instead. You will learn to express yourselves freely. You can be as loud and crazy as you want to be. That is what rock is all about.

4. Hoovers, we're starting our own rock 'n roll band, and we're going to make our own music video. We're going to invite all your neighbors over for a big screening of your music video.

5. If you don't follow the rules, you have to sit in the heavy metal chair and listen to heavy metal for five full minutes.

Kristin's Rules

Meeks Household Rule Changes

Mission Statement: This family has taken a backseat to the band for too long.

1. Tony, I believe that alcohol has no place in a home. You will make sure that this house is alcohol-free, starting right now.

2. The bar has been the center of the universe for too long. You are going to dismantle the bar and use the wood to build a game that we can play with the children.

3. Starting tomorrow, I will home school Benji and Hannah with a curriculum that will teach them traditional values.

4. You are not going to be playing rock 'n roll at your next show. With your background as a pastor, you have better things to offer. I have booked you a gig where you will spend your time onstage sharing God's love.

5. Instead of playing video games, we will have a family game night.

http://www.ninetyandnine.net/files/images/WSKirstinSing1_0_0.jpg

MrsMcD
02-12-2007, 07:14 PM

I thought the same thing. He definitely needed to lighten up.

ManOfWord
02-12-2007, 07:16 PM

It looked like at the end, at least he smiled and even laughed.

That just might be a revival!!!! :D

StillStanding
02-12-2007, 07:17 PM
They show an Amish horse and buggy, making you think they were Minnenite. They mentioned his Minnenite background a few times, but never mentioned Pentecostal or UPC.

FWIW, I noticed the UPC couple had a TV in the house!!! :uhoh

StillStanding
02-12-2007, 07:20 PM

They made it look like he was not flexible at all, until the end when they shot the rock and roll video.

Ronzo
02-12-2007, 07:20 PM
They show an Amish horse and buggy, making you think they were Minnenite. They mentioned his Minnenite background a few times, but never mentioned Pentecostal or UPC.

How else would they know about wifeswap enough to want to be on it?

ManOfWord
02-12-2007, 07:21 PM

:killinme :killinme :killinme

StillStanding
02-12-2007, 07:25 PM

:tease True!

The Hoovers set a good Christian witness, but they could have been more effective had they not come across as religious extremists!

whollyHis
02-12-2007, 07:27 PM
I have to say this...it just needs to be said...

WHen I heard about this episode, I was apprehensive. I respect Sis. Hoover. WHat an awesome testimony...

StillStanding
02-12-2007, 07:34 PM
I have to say this...it just needs to be said...

WHen I heard about this episode, I was apprehensive. I respect Sis. Hoover. WHat an awesome testimony...

Sis. Hoover did indeed do an awesome job!

Bro. Hoover came across as somewhat as a hardheaded jerk.

Hesetmefree238
02-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Sister Hoover did a good job representing us. I do question the wisdom of going on this show, but what do I know.

myhaloisintheshop
02-12-2007, 07:44 PM
I watched the show and I really thought Steve came across as a jerk. :covereyes

John Atkinson
02-12-2007, 07:52 PM
I watched the show and I really thought Steve came across as a jerk. :covereyes
Well, since I missed I could't say, but since I done heard all about it from everywhere... Where was Steve'os convictions when the papers were being signed with the TV people?:dunno

Ronzo
02-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Sister Hoover did a good job representing us. I do question the wisdom of going on this show, but what do I know.

Well... I'm a heretic liberal and even I wouldn't go on the show... I wouldn't even have to think about it.

"no"

Pragmatist
02-12-2007, 08:18 PM
I thought she showed herself as very classy and flexible. I liked the fact that they stated they chose to wear dresses to be feminine and modest, rather than giving reasons that could be disputed. The guy did come across less positively, but the rules he broke were in the interests of being consistent for his children. And he did participate in the music video and promotion; that was hilarious.

ManOfWord
02-12-2007, 08:48 PM
I agree that the Sis. did a good job and her husband could have done much better. For me, a person who loves a good challenge and living on the edge, (but not sin) there is NO WAY that I would subject my wife or my family to any such situationl.

I would imagine that the UPCI is breathing a sigh of relief and that their church is as well.

COOPER
02-12-2007, 08:50 PM
I thought she showed herself as very classy and flexible. I liked the fact that they stated they chose to wear dresses to be feminine and modest, rather than giving reasons that could be disputed. The guy did come across less positively, but the rules he broke were in the interests of being consistent for his children. And he did participate in the music video and promotion; that was hilarious.
I thought it was interesting that the other family was an Ex-Pastoral family.
Although he is the "Rocker" He was really clean cut and had a soft spot for God.
I thought it was cool he cut up the bar.
The wife seemed a bit more hard core and bitter.
I really hoped she was not going to destroy that cradle.
The UPC husband was wound tight but his wife was cool. I was impressed with her character.

stmatthew
02-12-2007, 09:25 PM
How much money do they get??

rgcraig
02-12-2007, 09:28 PM

Bump for those that might have missed it earlier.

ForeverBlessed
02-12-2007, 09:59 PM
I thought it was interesting that the other family was an Ex-Pastoral family.
Although he is the "Rocker" He was really clean cut and had a soft spot for God.
I thought it was cool he cut up the bar.
The wife seemed a bit more hard core and bitter.
I really hoped she was not going to destroy that cradle.
The UPC husband was wound tight but his wife was cool. I was impressed with her character.

Kristin is a beautiful person... inside and out. Steve is actually a pretty cool person himself.

Just think.. my daughters have babysat those beautiful baby girls.... :)

AmazingGrace
02-12-2007, 10:02 PM
This family is from Missouri Right?

I havent got to watch it all yet I dvr'd it

CC1
02-12-2007, 10:10 PM
These shows thrive on conflict so they will contrive as much of it as they can. Steve has an excellent sense of humor and is quite funny. He made me laugh out loud in church once!

I believe they took the most extreme moments for him and focused on them in the program. I am sure there were many things that happened that he was much more relaxed about. The things he was strident about were things where the visiting mom was wanting his children or him to violate their religious convictions (other than the scene about her cooking and I bet they coached him to rag her about the bad cooking).

I thought both Steven and Kristen represented themselves and Christianity well. I will also say that while I would not have done this program and had many misgivings about them doing it I believe it was a "God thing" because I believe that backslid preacher was reached by the ministry and witness of Kristen in his life. Now whether or not he follows through on God using this event to cut through his junk and touch his heart only time will tell.

ForeverBlessed
02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
These shows thrive on conflict so they will contrive as much of it as they can. Steve has an excellent sense of humor and is quite funny. He made me laugh out loud in church once!

I believe they took the most extreme moments for him and focused on them in the program. I am sure there were many things that happened that he was much more relaxed about. The things he was strident about were things where the visiting mom was wanting his children or him to violate their religious convictions (other than the scene about her cooking and I bet they coached him to rag her about the bad cooking).

I thought both Steven and Kristen represented themselves and Christianity well. I will also say that while I would not have done this program and had many misgivings about them doing it I believe it was a "God thing" because I believe that backslid preacher was reached by the ministry and witness of Kristen in his life. Now whether or not he follows through on God using this event to cut through his junk and touch his heart only time will tell.

I believe so too, cause I think Steve is pretty easy going guy and pretty witty...

Praxeas
02-13-2007, 12:20 AM

Just checking in.....I watched this episode (the roomie had it on, otherwise I would not have even know it was on)....and they kept making references to their being mennonites.....

Who said they are UPCI?

Praxeas
02-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Well, since I missed I could't say, but since I done heard all about it from everywhere... Where was Steve'os convictions when the papers were being signed with the TV people?:dunno
Or for that matter anyone with half a brain has to realize that when the 'swap' happens you as a Christian might be asked to endulge in things that go against your convictions and are outright sin.

Praxeas
02-13-2007, 12:24 AM

Yeah! My roomie kept saying they were mennonites and I was saying they were UPC cuz you guys said so :ranting

That's lame.

Praxeas
02-13-2007, 12:25 AM
They made it look like he was not flexible at all, until the end when they shot the rock and roll video.
Yeah...how dare he not host a keg party in his home with his children there :dunno

To be honest I would expect them to not be flexible at all in that respect. Im glad he drew the line there on that keg party

Praxeas
02-13-2007, 12:29 AM
Tish's Rules

Hoover Household Rule Changes

Mission Statement: Steve, your wife is trapped caring for your children and you don't lift a finger to help.

1. Steve, your wife is trapped caring for your children and you don't lift a finger to help.

2. Girls, there is more than one way to be a woman. These are called pants and you will be trying them out for the rest of my time here.

3. Ladies don't have to be bakers and mommies. Ladies can also be rock stars. So girls, there will be no more home school. You will be having rock school instead. You will learn to express yourselves freely. You can be as loud and crazy as you want to be. That is what rock is all about.

4. Hoovers, we're starting our own rock 'n roll band, and we're going to make our own music video. We're going to invite all your neighbors over for a big screening of your music video.

5. If you don't follow the rules, you have to sit in the heavy metal chair and listen to heavy metal for five full minutes.

Kristin's Rules

Meeks Household Rule Changes

Mission Statement: This family has taken a backseat to the band for too long.

1. Tony, I believe that alcohol has no place in a home. You will make sure that this house is alcohol-free, starting right now.

2. The bar has been the center of the universe for too long. You are going to dismantle the bar and use the wood to build a game that we can play with the children.

3. Starting tomorrow, I will home school Benji and Hannah with a curriculum that will teach them traditional values.

4. You are not going to be playing rock 'n roll at your next show. With your background as a pastor, you have better things to offer. I have booked you a gig where you will spend your time onstage sharing God's love.

5. Instead of playing video games, we will have a family game night.

http://www.ninetyandnine.net/files/images/WSKirstinSing1_0_0.jpg

I tell you one thing, that woman has some boldness.

berkeley
02-13-2007, 12:52 AM
ugh.. did anyone record the episode?? I missed it..!! ugh!!

MrsMcD
02-13-2007, 06:30 AM
Yeah...how dare he not host a keg party in his home with his children there :dunno

To be honest I would expect them to not be flexible at all in that respect. Im glad he drew the line there on that keg party

I agree. I wouldn't have allowed a keg party either. The punk rock mom went too far with that.

MrsMcD
02-13-2007, 06:30 AM
ugh.. did anyone record the episode?? I missed it..!! ugh!!

I think you might can watch it at abc.com.

COOPER
02-13-2007, 06:52 AM
I believe so too, cause I think Steve is pretty easy going guy and pretty witty...

He seemed pretty torqued when he stood up and almost got in that womans face.
His riotous indignation was coming out.

MrsMcD
02-13-2007, 07:08 AM
He seemed pretty torqued when he stood up and almost got in that womans face.
His riotous indignation was coming out.

:killinme :killinme :killinme

Garfield
02-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Ahhhh the web we weave.

Felicity
02-13-2007, 08:04 AM
I just watched five minutes of it... that was about all I could take.

lolI've never watched the show. Not interested. Period.

:)

rgcraig
02-13-2007, 08:05 AM
I've never watched the show. Not interested. Period.

Me either, but I did want to see last night. Kristen did a great job.

Do they show it up in Canada?

Garfield
02-13-2007, 08:06 AM

Watch it, your UPC roots are showing. :)

StillStanding
02-13-2007, 08:08 AM
I think the average person's worldview is somewhere in between the two extremes presented by the two families.

Most will find it extreme to have your refrigerator turned into a beer dispensor, and have a dream of being a Punk Rock star when you have two kids and are middle aged!

Most will also find it extreme that everything in your life centers around God and religion. The games, coloring, singing, values training, and family time in general were all religion focussed. The producers spun the Hoover family as being disconnected with the real world, and being too religious.

Most Americans can empathize with having and teaching Christian values, but not to the extent of appearing extremist in the given culture.

In my opinion, upholding their Christian values would have had a even more profound effect on the American audience had the Hoovers looked like a normal American family.

MrsMcD
02-13-2007, 08:31 AM

I normally do not watch it but last night, I wanted to see how my heritage was displayed. lol

StillStanding
02-13-2007, 08:35 AM
I normally do not watch it but last night, I wanted to see how my heritage was displayed. lol

Me too! :highfive

Felicity
02-13-2007, 08:36 AM
I normally do not watch it but last night, I wanted to see how my heritage was displayed. lolWere you pleased? Was it effective?

rgcraig
02-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Felicity,

I believe it was. I am interested in hearing the next interview with Ninety and Nine.

I believe her influence on the rocker dad (with him being an ex-pastor) was evident in the show and I would expect even more so in what wasn't shown.

Did you read the first interview with Ninety and Nine? She said when they were in the car together going to meet their spouses that they sang old hymns and he was touched.

I believe there was something that came from this.

MrsMcD
02-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Were you pleased? Was it effective?

I thought the wife did an excellent job. The husband was displayed as being starch in the beginning. He wouldn't allow alcohol in the house and I applaud him for that but he also made a huge deal out of the little girls wearing pants. I wish that had been left out of the script. I agree that we should take a stand but to the outside world that we are trying to reach, that's too different for them to comprehend. JMHO

Felicity
02-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Felicity,

I believe it was. I am interested in hearing the next interview with Ninety and Nine.

I believe her influence on the rocker dad (with him being an ex-pastor) was evident in the show and I would expect even more so in what wasn't shown.

Did you read the first interview with Ninety and Nine? She said when they were in the car together going to meet their spouses that they sang old hymns and he was touched.

I believe there was something that came from this.No I haven't read the interview. I've never watched the program because that type of thing doesn't interest me in the least.

If you're right then that will be good. :)

rgcraig
02-13-2007, 08:47 AM

Bump

aquestioninggirl
02-13-2007, 09:25 AM
As an ex-UPC... I was very impressed with how they were potrayed last night.... I was scared they were going to be the "You are going to Hell" type people but I came away from that eposoide feeling good! I like it when both sides get along and learn something. I hate the eposoides were people fight. Those girls were so sweet!!! I hope they continue that way.

SoCaliUPC
02-13-2007, 09:37 AM
For the most part, I thought both families were treated fairly.

I do think it was perfect timing, in a way, to have someone like Kristin at his side when he lost his job.

It was the most civil ending to a Wife Swap episode that I have seen in a long time.

I do not think they were cast in a negative light...but I do think we will see some more changes from Steve when he views himself on TV.

I just want a piece of Kristin's homemade bread and fresh from scratch peach pie.....topped with Vanilla Blue Bell ice cream!!!

rgcraig
02-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Socali,

You could see a change in Steve by the end of the program. I also think they were trying to portray him as being very strict. I thought his reaction to the guitar gift was very gracious and from that point on he seemed to have softened.

The girls were adorable!!!

Felicity
02-13-2007, 09:45 AM
BumpThanks Renda. I'll have to read it later. Gotta go finish getting ready for work.

COOPER
02-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Socali,

You could see a change in Steve by the end of the program. I also think they were trying to portray him as being very strict. I thought his reaction to the guitar gift was very gracious and from that point on he seemed to have softened.The girls were adorable!!!
YUP!

Sister Truth Seeker
02-13-2007, 10:21 AM
I didn't think they were UPC...it seems to me they talked more about being Mennonite...and more than once they showd a Amish buggy!!!

rgcraig
02-13-2007, 10:22 AM
I didn't think they were UPC...it seems to me they talked more about being Mennonite...and more than once they showd a Amish buggy!!!

Steve use to be a Mennonite, but they are now UPC.

Sister Truth Seeker
02-13-2007, 10:24 AM

OH ok..I thought the show was very interesting and it seemed to me both couples learned a lot....I would like to see if there is any lasting result...

rgcraig
02-13-2007, 10:25 AM
OH ok..I thought the show was very interesting and it seemed to me both couples learned a lot....I would like to see if there is any lasting result...

Hopefully, we will be able to find that out!

AmazingGrace
02-13-2007, 10:27 AM
I know comment was made at an earlier date... but is there still an attempt being made by those "connected" with this family to get Steve to join the forum? I would love to see him join up and hear what he has to say about the experience.

rgcraig
02-13-2007, 10:28 AM
I know comment was made at an earlier date... but is there still an attempt being made by those "connected" with this family to get Steve to join the forum? I would love to see him join up and hear what he has to say about the experience.

I think that is a very good possibility!

Rhymis
02-13-2007, 10:29 AM
oo

AmazingGrace
02-13-2007, 10:29 AM
I think that is a very good possibility!
:highfive :ty

rgcraig
02-13-2007, 10:30 AM
oo

I hope you are who I think you are!

Sister Truth Seeker
I think that is a very good possibility!OH that would be so wonderful...I would like to see his wife also...I would love to get to hear the REAL experience....

AmazingGrace
oo

oo back atcha Rhymis and welcome LOL

Sister Truth Seeker
who is that???

AmazingGrace
02-13-2007, 10:31 AM

I think I was thinking the same thing you were thinking..... did I speak a second too soon?

Rhymis

Not a chance. :bliss

rgcraig
who is that???

Not Steve.

AmazingGrace
02-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Not Steve.

K the timing was just odd ROFL :drawguns

Dora
02-13-2007, 10:33 AM
I thought the manual only applied to the ministers. The members of individual churches really have no "say" and no "rights."

Well, that is to say, they have "free-will" to follow the teachings of the pastor. In some cases, it's more like the "dictates" of the pastor.

The people have a choice of whether or not to stay under the leadership of a pastor who teaches strict adherence to "MANual" Standards or go with a pastor who is more balanced.

MrsMcD
02-13-2007, 10:58 AM

But did you notice at the end of the show when the couples were talking the UPC wife mentioned that Steve used to be a Mennonite? It probably made people think that they still are Mennonites since no other religion was mentioned.

Sister Truth Seeker
02-13-2007, 11:00 AM
I thought the manual only applied to the ministers. The members of individual churches really have to "say" and no "rights."

Well, that is to say, they have "free-will" to follow the teaches of the pastor. In some cases, it's more like the "dictates" of the pastor.

The people have a choice of whether or not to stay under the leadership of a pastor who teaches strict adherence to "MANual" Standards or go with a pastor who is more balanced.
Yes ....

Sister Truth Seeker
02-13-2007, 11:01 AM
But did you notice at the end of the show when the couples were talking the UPC wife mentioned that Steve used to be a Mennonite? It probably made people think that they still are Mennonites since no other religion was mentioned.

I know...I kept waiting for a comment on being UPC.....I was hoping!!!

rgcraig
02-13-2007, 11:02 AM

When rocker mom was reading the rules, I did see "Pentecostal" on the page.

Blubayou
02-13-2007, 11:03 AM
We watched the show last night. I have to admit I was very apprehensive about how the UPC family would be portrayed. I agree with the comments, that I think Steve was asked to be more rigid than he would normally be. I thought Kristin did a great job representing religious right. I do agree with PM that if they had been portrayed as a more "balanced" family, it would have been better, but "balanced" is not what that show is about.

MrsMcD
02-13-2007, 11:07 AM
When rocker mom was reading the rules, I did see "Pentecostal" on the page.

Good. Maybe other folks saw it too.

SoCaliUPC
02-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Socali,

You could see a change in Steve by the end of the program. I also think they were trying to portray him as being very strict. I thought his reaction to the guitar gift was very gracious and from that point on he seemed to have softened.

The girls were adorable!!!

Not only did I think they viewed him as being very strict but as a male chauvenist. I think you started to see that change when the Meeks lady laid out her rules. I thought it was rather funny when he said, "I don't cook" and she responded, "Neither do I."

CC1 and I can work on Steve and/or Kristin to come on here and talk. It would be interesting for some of you to here the other stories.

SoCaliUPC
02-13-2007, 12:01 PM

AG....CC1 and I can work on this. Based on their portrayal on the show, I do not think it will be a problem.

AmazingGrace
02-13-2007, 12:08 PM
AG....CC1 and I can work on this. Based on their portrayal on the show, I do not think it will be a problem.

Please do Bro... I think it would be awesome! And I honestly do not think anyone would bash them so I dont think they have that to worry about at all... it would just be interesting to hear from them first hand :)

SoCaliUPC
02-13-2007, 12:10 PM
We watched the show last night. I have to admit I was very apprehensive about how the UPC family would be portrayed. I agree with the comments, that I think Steve was asked to be more rigid than he would normally be. I thought Kristin did a great job representing religious right. I do agree with PM that if they had been portrayed as a more "balanced" family, it would have been better, but "balanced" is not what that show is about.

I honestly do not think he was "asked" to be more rigid. I think he was being rather "protective" of his daughters.

I also think Kristin came off "stronger."

Ferd
02-13-2007, 12:12 PM

Me too, It is clear he needs some instruction on cooking.

AmazingGrace
02-13-2007, 12:28 PM
:killinme :killinme :killinme Me too, It is clear he needs some instruction on cooking.

rgcraig
02-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Bump!

Ronzo
02-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Me too, It is clear he needs some instruction on cooking.
Amen

Hoovie
02-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Hello everyone!

I am the notorious patriarch in last nights Wife Swap episode.

We are receiving feedback from around the country - nearly all positive - even from lives that were impacted for Christ. We have been blessed with opportunities to continue the witness with TV, radio and newspaper.

The best response to your questions will likely be found within the next week on our follow-up interview with KC on Ninety and Nine.

A bit later I will join this discussion as long as it can be done in good taste and without disparaging the two families or ABC.

Thank You for your prayers and support!

In Jesus, Stephen Hoover

rgcraig
02-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Stephen,

Have you made a pie by yourself yet - lol!!!!!

Monkeyman
02-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Hello everyone!

We are receiving feedback from around the country - nearly all positive - even from lives that were impacted for Christ. We have been blessed with opportunities to continue the witness with TV, radio and newspaper.

The best response to your questions will likely be found within the next week on our follow-up interview with KC on Ninety and Nine.

A bit later I will join this discussion as long as it can be done in good taste and without disparaging the two families or ABC.

In Jesus, Stephen Hoover
Hey man,
Great job! Your family is beautiful!
BTW, keep your day job, you're not called to be a rockstar, he he. (just funnin' you)
I need your wife to talk to my wife, man, homemade pie ALL THE TIME!!! You da man!!

Hoovie
02-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Stephen,

Have you made a pie by yourself yet - lol!!!!!

YES! I made TWO pies and bread during the show. :killinme

rgcraig
02-13-2007, 08:29 PM
LOL....well, since you learned how much work Kristen does for you guys maybe you can make one "after the show".

I really enjoyed watching the show! Glad you loosened up there in the end.

Ron
02-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Hello everyone!

In Jesus, Stephen Hoover

Welcome aboard.

Do you still keep in touch with the other family?

GodsBabyGirl
02-13-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm sorry I missed this!:bliss :bliss

Guess who?????

Ron
02-13-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm sorry I missed this!:bliss :bliss

Guess who?????

Hey, Called out one? Where's the pic of your hubby?:hypercoffee

CC1
02-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Stephen,

Glad you agreed to come on the forum! I look forward to you coming back after the final part of the ninety and nine interview is posted.

I think you will find folks here are very direct but for the most part kind. Just be ready for a very open discussion!

I was aprehensive about how Hollywood might try to twist things through editing but I only detected minimal attempts at creating more "drama". I have a feeling out of days and days of footage they intentionally used the instances where you were the sternest in reaction to the other mom's most extreme actions. These shows thrive on conflict and they had to really work to get the kind of emotion they want.

SoCaliUPC
02-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Good to see you here Steve!!

Scott Hutchinson
02-13-2007, 09:48 PM
WOW Bro.Steve that song you sang sure was funny.

BoredOutOfMyMind
02-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Steven, we are glad you are with us.

We look forward to your 90&9 interview.

Sherri
02-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Stephen--
I was very impressed with your family. I was extremely leery about you guys being on this show, because the networks usually try to make any conservative Christian family out to be the weirdo bad guys. But your wife and family really shone and came across as genuine and very loving. I think the other family will remember the seeds that you planted for years to come. At some point, who knows what God will do with them?

Scott Hutchinson
02-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Yeah the media trys to make Christians look bad on CSI once they had a guy quoting scriptures who was a psycho?

rgcraig
02-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Stephen--
I was very impressed with your family. I was extremely leery about you guys being on this show, because the networks usually try to make any conservative Christian family out to be the weirdo bad guys. But your wife and family really shone and came across as genuine and very loving. I think the other family will remember the seeds that you planted for years to come. At some point, who knows what God will do with them?

Hey Sherri! Glad you made it here!

Hope your birthday trip was fun!!!

Ron
02-13-2007, 10:10 PM

Yeah! Happy 21 St anniversary of your 29 Th Birthday!:woohoo

Sherri
02-13-2007, 10:18 PM

Thanks! We had a great time. The temps were in the high 70's and low 80's all week. Awesome!!!

Sherri
02-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Yeah! Happy 21 St anniversary of your 29 Th Birthday!:woohoo
Thanks, Ron! That sounds much better than (50).

Scott Hutchinson
02-13-2007, 10:23 PM
50 girl you are 23.

CC1
02-13-2007, 11:45 PM
Sherri,

It was so good to see you and Eddie at Pastor Hardwick's wedding! Your daughter is beautiful, smart and full of personality. I know you are proud.

Now that you have had the momentous birthday should be start typing our posts in all caps so you can see better? Should we start calling you "Mother Cupples"? LOL!!!

Steadfast
02-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Thanks, Ron! That sounds much better than (50).

Sherri... WELCOME!

:bliss

MrsMcD
02-14-2007, 06:43 AM
Steve,

It is good to see you posting. You guys did a great job on "Wife Swap." That had to take guts. I'm glad the show finally showed you loosening up and having fun. Your wife seemed to have fun with the show. I applaud her for her attitude. She was never, in my opinion, displayed as being judgmental. She just seemed to be a genuine caring person. We need more attitudes demonstrated like your wife. :thumbsup

Blubayou
02-14-2007, 06:46 AM
Steve,

It is good to see you posting. You guys did a great job on "Wife Swap." That had to take guts. I'm glad the show finally showed you loosening up and having fun. Your wife seemed to have fun with the show. I applaud her for her attitude. She was never, in my opinion, displayed as being judgmental. She just seemed to be a genuine caring person. We need more attitudes demonstrated like your wife. :thumbsup

I agree with Mrs.McD- I thought she did a great job, in circumstances that were very difficult and public. :ty For representing us in such a positive way.

Ferd
02-14-2007, 07:19 AM

It appears that you need some cooking instruction. mosy over to the Chef's corner when you get a chance....

as the resident Food Pope, I think I can help you!

btw, you guys did a great job. I kept waiting "that moment" when my faith would be turned into a mockery.... that never happened and it is a testament to you and your wife!

Thanks for posting. Hope you stick around a while and join the crew.

StillStanding
02-14-2007, 07:32 AM
Bro. Hoover, I look forward to your posting on this forum. There are many posters here (myself included) that are transparent and post their true feelings about issues.

I don't know you, so my opinion of your family is without prejudice. I am purely subject to the network spin machine.

Apostolic Kitty
02-14-2007, 09:15 AM

Were they as good as Kristin's?? Or did she walk away from the table saying she was disappointed in your pie making efforts? :heeheehee

COOPER
02-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Hello everyone!

In Jesus, Stephen Hoover
I was hoping to see you put on the pregnant suit!:heeheehee

MrsMcD
02-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Were they as good as Kristin's?? Or did she walk away from the table saying she was disappointed in your pie making efforts? :heeheehee

I bet they were just as good as the punk rock mom's pies. lol

Sherri
02-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Sherri... WELCOME!

:bliss
Thanks, Steadfast! It's been a while.

Sherri
02-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Sherri,

It was so good to see you and Eddie at Pastor Hardwick's wedding! Your daughter is beautiful, smart and full of personality. I know you are proud.

Now that you have had the momentous birthday should be start typing our posts in all caps so you can see better? Should we start calling you "Mother Cupples"? LOL!!!
It was so good to see everyone at the wedding!! I was so excited to catch up with Rosie & Joel Edwards; it had been nearly 30 years. Ashley loves meeting all our old friends from Bible College. I think she keeps hoping one of them will have a really cute available son. LOL!

Yes, "Mother Cupples" will do just fine, thank you! And I would appreciate the bigger fonts too.

apersimmon
02-14-2007, 08:03 PM
I was hoping to see you put on the pregnant suit!:heeheehee

lol!

rgcraig
02-14-2007, 08:17 PM
It was so good to see everyone at the wedding!! I was so excited to catch up with Rosie & Joel Edwards; it had been nearly 30 years. Ashley loves meeting all our old friends from Bible College. I think she keeps hoping one of them will have a really cute available son. LOL!

Yes, "Mother Cupples" will do just fine, thank you! And I would appreciate the bigger fonts too.
Well, this old BC friend has a really cute son, but she's done waited too late to meet him and he's a little younger than her. LOL!

Carpenter
02-14-2007, 09:41 PM
I just had my neighbor/friend bring over the tape. She is UPC and several of you know her from CLC (Keith4Him, Thad, etc.).

She said it wasn't a UPC family but the program characterized them as being Amish or Mennonite.

Are you 100% certain the family is UPC?

rgcraig
02-14-2007, 09:44 PM
I just had my neighbor/friend bring over the tape. She is UPC and several of you know her from CLC (Keith4Him, Thad, etc.).

She said it wasn't a UPC family but the program characterized them as being Amish or Mennonite.

Are you 100% certain the family is UPC?Yes. Did you read the link from Ninety and Nine?

Also, the husband, Steve posted here in this thread last night.

rgcraig
02-14-2007, 09:45 PM

Bump

SoCaliUPC
02-14-2007, 09:46 PM

Are you 100% certain the family is UPC?

POSITIVE they are.

rgcraig
02-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Hello everyone!

In Jesus, Stephen HooverBump

Buffy
02-14-2007, 10:05 PM
I was very impressed with how Kristin(the wife) handled herself. She did not act like a "country bumpkin going to town". I really enjoyed watching the show. I'm anxious to read for from her husband on here.

SoCaliUPC
02-14-2007, 11:10 PM
Okay...just for clarification sake....

YES...the Hoovers are UPC. A little bit about their background...(don't worry, Steve knows I am posting this)....Kristins parents are Robert and Judith Bentley (former missionaries to Russia). Her Grandparents........Former UPCI General Superintendent, Rev. S W Chambers and Sister Catherine Chambers.

Steve is a FORMER Mennonite. He is true BLUE UPC now.

For more information about the Hoovers visit their website at http://thehooverhouse.net/

notofworks
11-30-2009, 02:07 PM
I just watched the episode of "Wife Swap" featuring the Hoovers (Hoovie, one of Admin). I wanted to watch it because I honestly wondered why in the world a UPC family would want to go on a show like that. I couldn't imagine it going well.

But I was wrong. Even though the UPC and it's precepts are far in my rear-view mirror, I was completely impressed with the Hoovers. I had emotions that I didn't expect. In one scene, the visiting mom was going to force the Hoover's daughters to wear pants. Well, I have have strong feelings about women being forbidden to wear pants and frankly it's a "doctrine" that I have a decent amount of contempt for. But I, along with my wife, found ourselves horrified that these little precious girls were going to have their traditions and teachings violated. I found myself openly cheering and rooting for the Hoovers.

There was a scene in which Hoovie's wife, Kristen, was being pushed into singing in a bar. She resisted but ended up singing and sharing her faith. It was amazing! And she carried herself in such a way that she, very obviously, impacted the other family. In fact, the husband, a former minister, ended up saying he wanted to re-open his heart to The Lord.

And Steve was put into some really awkward situations but handled it with class every time. I don't doubt the typical twisting to make families look silly, but they shined.

It's interesting but I surround myself with people like the other family all the time....people who drink, party, live rough lives, etc. I consider it my mission field. And normally I'd be a bit irritated by families like The Hoover's. But in this episode I could only be completely impressed.

I know this is an old subject on the forum but I just wanted to give a major "Thumbs Up" to The hoover Family. :thumbsup

John Atkinson
11-30-2009, 04:14 PM
I just watched the episode of "Wife Swap" featuring the Hoovers (Hoovie, one of Admin). I wanted to watch it because I honestly wondered why in the world a UPC family would want to go on a show like that. I couldn't imagine it going well.

But I was wrong. Even though the UPC and it's precepts are far in my rear-view mirror, I was completely impressed with the Hoovers. I had emotions that I didn't expect. In one scene, the visiting mom was going to force the Hoover's daughters to wear pants. Well, I have have strong feelings about women being forbidden to wear pants and frankly it's a "doctrine" that I have a decent amount of contempt for. But I, along with my wife, found ourselves horrified that these little precious girls were going to have their traditions and teachings violated. I found myself openly cheering and rooting for the Hoovers.

There was a scene in which Hoovie's wife, Kristen, was being pushed into singing in a bar. She resisted but ended up singing and sharing her faith. It was amazing! And she carried herself in such a way that she, very obviously, impacted the other family. In fact, the husband, a former minister, ended up saying he wanted to re-open his heart to The Lord.

And Steve was put into some really awkward situations but handled it with class every time. I don't doubt the typical twisting to make families look silly, but they shined.

It's interesting but I surround myself with people like the other family all the time....people who drink, party, live rough lives, etc. I consider it my mission field. And normally I'd be a bit irritated by families like The Hoover's. But in this episode I could only be completely impressed.

I know this is an old subject on the forum but I just wanted to give a major "Thumbs Up" to The hoover Family. :thumbsup
Double amen that with a two thumbs way way up. I don't think we have seen all the fruit this tree will bear.

notofworks
11-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Double amen that with a two thumbs way way up. I don't think we have seen all the fruit this tree will bear.

I agree. I'm not in the UPC fan club and I don't like "the system". But I love what the Hoovers stand for and the way they displayed it. I can only appreciate their commitment to their values and I admire it. And they never appeared to be "holier-than-thou" when they stood their ground. A lot of people do that and it's a major turn-off.

I don't mean to make this a "UPC Issue", but I didn't expect to react the way I did. I learned something.

John Atkinson
11-30-2009, 06:50 PM
I agree. I'm not in the UPC fan club and I don't like "the system". But I love what the Hoovers stand for and the way they displayed it. I can only appreciate their commitment to their values and I admire it. And they never appeared to be "holier-than-thou" when they stood their ground. A lot of people do that and it's a major turn-off.

I don't mean to make this a "UPC Issue", but I didn't expect to react the way I did. I learned something.
The upc isn't the church, the church is the church, and that will not fit into any box we make. drop everything but the fact that Jesus wants us in his box.

notofworks
11-30-2009, 06:52 PM
The upc isn't the church, the church is the church, and that will not fit into any box we make.

I agree.

mfblume
11-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Awesome tribute to the Hoovers from the Meek family!

http://thehooverhouse.net/general_004.htm

They believe God sent the Hoover's into their lives. :bliss

notofworks
11-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Awesome tribute to the Hoovers from the Meek family!

http://thehooverhouse.net/general_004.htm

They believe God sent the Hoover's into their lives. :bliss

I've seen two episodes of this show previous to the Hoover edition. It was a disaster. What a mess. I thought, "Anyone's crazy to do that." When I heard "Hoovie" had done the show, I really wanted to see it. My wife and I were both so impressed.

mfblume
11-30-2009, 06:58 PM
I've seen two episodes of this show previous to the Hoover edition. It was a disaster. What a mess. I thought, "Anyone's crazy to do that." When I heard "Hoovie" had done the show, I really wanted to see it. My wife and I were both so impressed.

I was, too. I recall seeing one show where a "Christian" (in name only) woman acted like a nutcase and cussed "in the name of the Lord." I had tears come to my eyes watching the outcome of the Hoovers episode.

ForeverBlessed
11-30-2009, 07:21 PM

I hadn't been able to see the episode, but Hoovie and his wife mailed it to me recently. My girls and I sat down to watch it this week...and although I no longer am part of the upc either, I thought the same things you did. They handled themselves with class. My girls were especially proud to tell all their friends who were watching it too that "we know them" and poor Bekah said "I've even babysat and changed a few of their diapers." lol the face that came with that.. we were taken back to that day. :D

I think this family is awesome... thanks for sending me a copy of the episode, I enjoyed watching it. :thumbsup

Hoovie
11-30-2009, 07:48 PM
NOW, MFB, Forever,

Thank you so much for the kind words.

Bless all of you.

MawMaw
11-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Is there any place to see that particular show online?

Nitehawk013
12-01-2009, 05:38 AM
I've seen the episode a couple times. I thought the husband was a little rough in some ways, but the wife really was great in the episode. I was impressed overall though.

Hoovie
12-01-2009, 06:30 AM
Is there any place to see that particular show online?

No. If you would like, I can send you a copy.

It is shown on Lifetime about every 6 - 8 weeks.

Hoovie
12-01-2009, 06:53 AM
I've seen the episode a couple times. I thought the husband was a little rough in some ways, but the wife really was great in the episode. I was impressed overall though.

I understand and agree actually. :) Like asking her (telling her) to bake pies.

The scene at the table was tweaked, and the "I was very disappointed" was actually a voice over from a private producer interview held later. Similarly, when I stated "I don't cook..." I further explained that I actually enjoy doing so, but cannot because of work schedule. With a hundred and twenty hrs of footage from each side condensed to a one hr show there was a lot cut and edited.

Certainly, those are some things I would have changed had it been up to me. I do understand the same thing occurred on the other side. The Meeks did not really "get slammed" every night.

All in all it was a good experience. The four of us went out to eat and converse after the final filming and table meeting in Texas. The producers said they had never seen any of the couples do that in the past :) there is usually too much animosity in the mix.

Today our family is in contact with Tony, Tish, Benji and Hanna. The kids send packages and letters and we talk by phone & e-mail.

Tish works part time and has continued in the band. God has blessed Tony with another job.

May God bless them all.

Hoovie
12-01-2009, 07:01 AM
BTW, Here is the thread that I started (this was one started by SoCal)

http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=661

Timmy
12-01-2009, 08:04 AM
My favorite part: when Kristin says Steve is "the life of the party", with a shot of Hoovie calmly taking a sip of coffee. :toofunny

Did you know I am in negotiations for the job of private tutor for the girls? :heeheehee

BTW, I was also impressed by the Hoovers. Having previously seen a Wife Swap that went horribly wrong (known as the God Warrior episode), I was expecting another train wreck. But I was disapp.... er, pleasantly surprised! :heeheehee

notofworks
12-01-2009, 09:41 AM
My favorite part: when Kristin says Steve is "the life of the party", with a shot of Hoovie calmly taking a sip of coffee. :toofunny

Did you know I am in negotiations for the job of private tutor for the girls? :heeheehee

BTW, I was also impressed by the Hoovers. Having previously seen a Wife Swap that went horribly wrong (known as the God Warrior episode), I was expecting another train wreck. But I was disapp.... er, pleasantly surprised! :heeheehee

:lol That was hilarious. It was probably edited like crazy to get that, but it was funny. Is the God-warrior episode the lady that yelled and screamed and cussed? I saw clips of that. If that's the episode, he daughter died I believe. Really sad.

The bolded above.....that's seriously funny.

Timmy
12-01-2009, 09:51 AM
:lol That was hilarious. It was probably edited like crazy to get that, but it was funny. Is the God-warrior episode the lady that yelled and screamed and cussed? I saw clips of that. If that's the episode, he daughter died I believe. Really sad.

The bolded above.....that's seriously funny.

I hadn't heard about the daughter! Yes, that is sad.

The last part of that episode was mind-boggling. She comes back to her own family and goes ballistic, chewing them out for... not really sure what. Well, yes, she did mention that they should have prayed for her. I guess that was it. Actually, I think she was so traumatized by her experience in the other family, that she just lost it. Had to blame someone, and her family was handy.

Sad.

kristian's_mom
12-01-2009, 10:57 AM
If anyone hasn't seen the show yet, it comes on tomorrow at 1:00 eastern time on the Lifetime channel.

notofworks
12-01-2009, 12:04 PM
I hadn't heard about the daughter! Yes, that is sad.

The last part of that episode was mind-boggling. She comes back to her own family and goes ballistic, chewing them out for... not really sure what. Well, yes, she did mention that they should have prayed for her. I guess that was it. Actually, I think she was so traumatized by her experience in the other family, that she just lost it. Had to blame someone, and her family was handy.

Sad.

Yeah, that's her.

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2007/10/26/Ashley_Perrin_(26),_the_daughter_of_infamous__Trad ing_Spouses__cast_member_Marguerite_Perrin,_died_i n_a_car_accident

Timmy
12-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Yeah, that's her.

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2007/10/26/Ashley_Perrin_(26),_the_daughter_of_infamous__Trad ing_Spouses__cast_member_Marguerite_Perrin,_died_i n_a_car_accident

Sorry to hear that.