PDA

View Full Version : Necessary Yokes vs Unnecessary Yokes

chosenbyone
02-27-2007, 11:01 AM
I posted this thread on GNC and wanted to know how folks here on AFF think about the subject of yokes. Please share your thoughts.

The bible is very clear that there are "necessary yokes" listed in the bible to keep us from being separated from God. A few examples of necessary yokes are: you can't lie, steal, be proud, commit immoral acts, dress immodestly, bear false witness, practice witchcraft and backbiting.

While as believers we knew that Jesus declared His Yoke was easy and His burden was light. I've read and seen through the years that when man created unnecessary yokes they created an atmosphere of anxiety, stress, and performance salvation.

Those unnecessary yokes (laws) brought unnecessary rebellion. While I always appreciated personal standards, the demand to follow a pastors' standards resulted in traditions that lead to heartbreak, barriers to the cross, propensity to prejudice and diminished understanding of Grace.

We were forced to take sides and still the debate continues along lines of standards. It's a very sad state of affairs that the church has been split because of people judging others whether they had the same convictions as the pastors/leaders in the movement.

Paul exposed the heresy of the Galatian church when he wrote in Galatians 3:1-3, "You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before
your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. I would like to learn just on thing from you: Did you receive the Holy Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal through human efforts? (NIV)

Will the church every become unified or remain forever divided by disagreements in what we wear or don't wear?

Chan
02-28-2007, 10:19 AM
The only necessary yoke is Jesus' yoke - the one that Jesus commanded us to take upon ourselves and that Jesus said was "easy."