PDA

View Full Version : Turkey

Ronzo
02-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Recipes for Turkey thread...

Esther
02-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Ferd, your turkey recipe should go first.

Where art thou?

Ferd
02-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Brined Roast Turkey with Pan Gravy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the best Turkey recipe ive ever come across. It?s a Wolfgang Puck recipe and I tried it last year. In fact I made it twice. It is OUTSTANDING. Everyone that tried it said it was the best turkey they ever had. And they were all Louisiana people who get fried turkey and know what good turkey tastes like.

I would make the brine and the turkey stock the day before. This is important because you need to brine the turkey for 24 hours for the best effect. Also you want the stock prepared so you can whip up the gravy.

DAY 1

Brine:
1 gallon water
1/2 ounce ground cloves
1/2 ounce ground ginger
4 ounces cracked black peppercorns
12 bay leaves
1 pound kosher salt
24 ounces honey
24 ounces maple syrup
1 (12 - 14 pound) whole fresh turkey, giblets and neck removed and reserved for stock

In a large stockpot, bring the water, cloves, ginger, black peppercorn, bay leaves and salt to a boil. Lower to a simmer and stir in the honey and maple syrup until well blended. Turn off heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

Rinse the turkey inside and out with cold tap water. Reserve the neck and specialty meats for pan gravy. Set the turkey in the brine, making sure that the turkey is fully immersed in the brine. Place a weight on top of the turkey to make sure it is always covered with brine. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

Turkey Stock (Can be made ahead up to 4 days. Keep refrigerated):

Giblets and neck from 1 turkey
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup port wine
1 cup roughly chopped onions
1/2 cup roughly chopped carrots
1/2 cup roughly chopped celery
2 sprigs rosemary
5 peppercorns
Water, to cover

Heat a saucepan over high heat. When the pan is hot, add the olive oil and heat. Add the neck and giblets and cook until browned all over, about 7 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and deglaze with the port. Return the pan to the heat and cook until the port is almost completely evaporated, about 10 minutes.
Add the carrots, onions, celery, rosemary and peppercorns. Cover with cold water by 4-inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and simmer for 2 hours, adding a little more water, if necessary. Skim any scum that rises to the surface of the stock and discard.
Strain the stock.

DAY 2

Roasting:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

1 cup cubed carrots
1 cup cubed celery
1 cup cubed onions

In a shallow roasting pan, place the carrots, celery and onions. Remove turkey from brine.

1 stick butter, room temperature
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves
2 apples, quartered and cored
1 onion, peeled and quartered
2 rosemary sprigs
3 sprigs sage
Olive oil, for drizzling

Mix together the butter, garlic, chopped rosemary, and sage to make a compound butter. Using your hands, loosen to the skin from the breast by gently inserting your fingers between the skin and the flesh. Be careful not to rip the skin. Rub the compound butter underneath the skin. Insert the apples, onions, and whole rosemary and sage into the cavity of the turkey.
Place the turkey over the vegetables, breast-side up, in the roasting pan. Tuck the wings back and under the turkey. Using kitchen twine, tie the legs together. This will make a compact shape and will create a great presentation. Drizzle the turkey with olive oil and rub it into the skin.

Now this next part is VITAL! So don?t mess it up. Go buy yourself a good digital thermometer. It will have a long probe with a wire on it so you can stick it in the turkey and read the meter outside the oven. Roast the turkey to exactly 165 degrees F in the breast, It should take about 2 1/2 hours but don?t go by the clock. If the skin gets too dark during roasting, tent with foil.

When the bird gets to 165 take it out of the oven, Transfer to a platter and tent it with foil and allow it to rest. DO NOT CUT THE BIRD UNTIL IT RESTS FOR A GOOD 10 TO 15 MINUTES. IF you cut it too soon all the juices will run out and you will have dry turkey like last year.

While the turkey is roasting, prepare the pan gravy.

1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup Madeira wine
4 cups turkey stock, recipe at the top.
1 sprig thyme
2 sprigs parsley
Beurre manie (2 ounces butter mixed with 2 ounces flour until it forms a soft dough)
Salt and pepper

Tilt the pan and skim as much fat as possible off the juice with a spoon. Set the pan on 2 burners set on medium heat. Deglaze roasting pan with white wine and Madeira. Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any brown bits. Reduce until only a quarter remains. Add the turkey stock, thyme and parsley. Bring to a boil and strain into a saucepan. Bring back to a boil, skim and lower to a simmer. Whisk in the beurre manie until well incorporated and continue to cook until gravy has thickened. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Note: For those of you who wont use wine, just use some of the turkey stock. That will be fine. For those of you who will use the wine and Madeira, go get a real bottle. Don?t use that cooking wine stuff. It will ruin the gravy. And remember all the alcohol will cook out so you wont have any issues with that. Trust me this is awesome stuff.

Happy Thanksgiving!

This is the most important part of cooking the Turkey. the rest is just flavor and you could do what ever you wanted for flavor. If you do the following EXACTLY you will have a wonderful turkey

Now this next part is VITAL! So don?t mess it up. Go buy yourself a good digital thermometer. It will have a long probe with a wire on it so you can stick it in the turkey and read the meter outside the oven. Roast the turkey to exactly 165 degrees F in the breast, It should take about 2 1/2 hours but don?t go by the clock. If the skin gets too dark during roasting, tent with foil.

When the bird gets to 165 take it out of the oven, Transfer to a platter and tent it with foil and allow it to rest. DO NOT CUT THE BIRD UNTIL IT RESTS FOR A GOOD 10 TO 15 MINUTES. IF you cut it too soon all the juices will run out and you will have dry turkey like last year.

Ronzo
02-12-2007, 07:43 AM
I can vouch for this one. It's an awesome turkey recipe. I made it in 2004.

Esther
02-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Boom

Oven Roasted Sandwiches (good idea for Ferd's leftovers in the above post!)

Make Ham and Cheese Sandwiches. I prefer Honey Ham and Swiss myself, my wife likes American cheese. Prepare the sandwiches on oversized Buns, or even two pieces of bread. Wrap tightly in foil, and bake at 350 for 15 mins.

Great on Sunday Evening after church with Campbell's Tomato Soup!

Ferd
11-04-2007, 10:33 AM
bump for turkey day

AmazingGrace
11-04-2007, 11:53 AM
GLORAYYYYYYYYYY The tried and true Turkey that shall forever rule in our house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ferd you are awesomeized!!!!!!!!!!!

lad
11-05-2007, 02:18 AM
We love our turkey - DEEP FRIED!

Trouvere
11-05-2007, 02:44 AM
Amen I ordered on from the church.Our cousins husband Darryl "Cajun" Malone
does them every year.All you have to do is heat it up in the oven bag it comes in.

HeavenlyOne
11-05-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm not allowed to make this turkey recipe this year.

So I'm stuck with the traditional way........

Ferd
11-07-2007, 09:27 AM
We love our turkey - DEEP FRIED!

deep fried is GREAT. just brine it first.

Ferd
11-07-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm not allowed to make this turkey recipe this year.

So I'm stuck with the traditional way........

gasp! and why not?????

HeavenlyOne
11-07-2007, 10:04 AM
gasp! and why not?????

Because ONE PERSON didn't like it last year.

I think it was all in his head. He didn't have problems until I told him I was trying something new!

So this year he gets his way. Next year, I'll be eating without him....LOL!

Ferd
11-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Because ONE PERSON didn't like it last year.

I think it was all in his head. He didn't have problems until I told him I was trying something new!

So this year he gets his way. Next year, I'll be eating without him....LOL!

that sounds ominus.

HeavenlyOne
11-07-2007, 12:35 PM
that sounds ominus.

Do you have any advice for spicing up a traditional turkey?

Ferd
11-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Do you have any advice for spicing up a traditional turkey?

yea. brine it but just use a basic brine.

(and dont tell nobody.

dunk the bird!

here is the basic ratio
2 1/2 gallons of liquid
1lbs salt
1lbs sweet.

for the liquid stick with 1 gallon of H2O and 8lbs of ice, then for the other half gallon, you can use orange juice, stock of some kind or just more water.
heat the gallon of H2O and the other half gallon and use to disolve the sugar and salt. then use the 8lbs of ice to cool the liquid.

for the salt use kosher period.
for the sweet, you can use sugar, brownsugar, mape syrup, cane syrup, honey, or any other kind of sweet. you are just looking for 1lbs.

HeavenlyOne
11-07-2007, 10:47 PM
yea. brine it but just use a basic brine.

(and dont tell nobody.

dunk the bird!

here is the basic ratio
2 1/2 gallons of liquid
1lbs salt
1lbs sweet.

for the liquid stick with 1 gallon of H2O and 8lbs of ice, then for the other half gallon, you can use orange juice, stock of some kind or just more water.
heat the gallon of H2O and the other half gallon and use to disolve the sugar and salt. then use the 8lbs of ice to cool the liquid.

for the salt use kosher period.
for the sweet, you can use sugar, brownsugar, mape syrup, cane syrup, honey, or any other kind of sweet. you are just looking for 1lbs.

I ain't saying a word!! Thanks!!!

Esther
11-08-2007, 12:41 PM
My SIL told me to fix my turkey in my roaster to rub it good with butter inside and out. Then salt and pepper. Add an onion quartered and an apple quartered. Wrap in foil and cook all night.

It was very tender the next morning. Falling apart. Tasted excellent!

Ferd
11-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Brined Roast Turkey with Pan Gravy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the best Turkey recipe ive ever come across. It?s a Wolfgang Puck recipe and I tried it last year. In fact I made it twice. It is OUTSTANDING. Everyone that tried it said it was the best turkey they ever had. And they were all Louisiana people who get fried turkey and know what good turkey tastes like.

I would make the brine and the turkey stock the day before. This is important because you need to brine the turkey for 24 hours for the best effect. Also you want the stock prepared so you can whip up the gravy.

DAY 1

Brine:
1 gallon water
1/2 ounce ground cloves
1/2 ounce ground ginger
4 ounces cracked black peppercorns
12 bay leaves
1 pound kosher salt
24 ounces honey
24 ounces maple syrup
1 (12 - 14 pound) whole fresh turkey, giblets and neck removed and reserved for stock

In a large stockpot, bring the water, cloves, ginger, black peppercorn, bay leaves and salt to a boil. Lower to a simmer and stir in the honey and maple syrup until well blended. Turn off heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

Rinse the turkey inside and out with cold tap water. Reserve the neck and specialty meats for pan gravy. Set the turkey in the brine, making sure that the turkey is fully immersed in the brine. Place a weight on top of the turkey to make sure it is always covered with brine. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

Turkey Stock (Can be made ahead up to 4 days. Keep refrigerated):

Giblets and neck from 1 turkey
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup port wine
1 cup roughly chopped onions
1/2 cup roughly chopped carrots
1/2 cup roughly chopped celery
2 sprigs rosemary
5 peppercorns
Water, to cover

Heat a saucepan over high heat. When the pan is hot, add the olive oil and heat. Add the neck and giblets and cook until browned all over, about 7 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and deglaze with the port. Return the pan to the heat and cook until the port is almost completely evaporated, about 10 minutes.
Add the carrots, onions, celery, rosemary and peppercorns. Cover with cold water by 4-inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and simmer for 2 hours, adding a little more water, if necessary. Skim any scum that rises to the surface of the stock and discard.
Strain the stock.

DAY 2

Roasting:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

1 cup cubed carrots
1 cup cubed celery
1 cup cubed onions

In a shallow roasting pan, place the carrots, celery and onions. Remove turkey from brine.

1 stick butter, room temperature
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves
2 apples, quartered and cored
1 onion, peeled and quartered
2 rosemary sprigs
3 sprigs sage
Olive oil, for drizzling

Mix together the butter, garlic, chopped rosemary, and sage to make a compound butter. Using your hands, loosen to the skin from the breast by gently inserting your fingers between the skin and the flesh. Be careful not to rip the skin. Rub the compound butter underneath the skin. Insert the apples, onions, and whole rosemary and sage into the cavity of the turkey.
Place the turkey over the vegetables, breast-side up, in the roasting pan. Tuck the wings back and under the turkey. Using kitchen twine, tie the legs together. This will make a compact shape and will create a great presentation. Drizzle the turkey with olive oil and rub it into the skin.

While the turkey is roasting, prepare the pan gravy.

1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup Madeira wine
4 cups turkey stock, recipe at the top.
1 sprig thyme
2 sprigs parsley
Beurre manie (2 ounces butter mixed with 2 ounces flour until it forms a soft dough)
Salt and pepper

Tilt the pan and skim as much fat as possible off the juice with a spoon. Set the pan on 2 burners set on medium heat. Deglaze roasting pan with white wine and Madeira. Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any brown bits. Reduce until only a quarter remains. Add the turkey stock, thyme and parsley. Bring to a boil and strain into a saucepan. Bring back to a boil, skim and lower to a simmer. Whisk in the beurre manie until well incorporated and continue to cook until gravy has thickened. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Note: For those of you who wont use wine, just use some of the turkey stock. That will be fine. For those of you who will use the wine and Madeira, go get a real bottle. Don?t use that cooking wine stuff. It will ruin the gravy. And remember all the alcohol will cook out so you wont have any issues with that. Trust me this is awesome stuff.

Happy Thanksgiving!

This is the most important part of cooking the Turkey. the rest is just flavor and you could do what ever you wanted for flavor. If you do the following EXACTLY you will have a wonderful turkey

Bumping the Turkey Recipe. Ive used this for several years now and everyone loves it.

Several people here have used it too and agree that it is excelent.

I may be adjusting the brine this year to move more toward stiens syurp instead of the Maple flavor.

Ferd
11-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Bumping for turkey day

Esther
11-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Bumping the Turkey Recipe. Ive used this for several years now and everyone loves it.

Several people here have used it too and agree that it is excelent.

I may be adjusting the brine this year to move more toward stiens syurp instead of the Maple flavor.

Are you adding the bacon on this recipe as well?