Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   The Wild Side (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   "Millennials Must Hunt" (L) (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=47578)

n david 03-02-2015 07:04 AM

"Millennials Must Hunt" (L)

Quote:

Generation Y has inherited the most polluted planet in all of recorded human history. The impact of this is felt everywhere, but no more viscerally than on our dinner plates. The question of where our food comes from is on the lips of everyone today, with books like Food Inc or The Omnivores Dilemma fueling a rethink on what food and eating mean in the 21st century.
Quote:

As a generation, our entire generation faces a choice: either continue the disastrous environmental, and economic food policies of the Boomers or make new choices regarding how and what we eat.
Quote:

It's time for us to start hunting.
Quote:

For most of American history, people had a direct and personal relationship with the food they ate. Farming and hunting traditions were passed from one generation to the next, and parents taught their children how to hunt in the wild. After World War II, hunting activity suffered a massive decline when the Baby Boomers became the first generation to decide that hunting was no longer a primary source of food, but rather an act of leisure. Times had changed, food was now space-aged, it was tin-foiled and microwaved, it was processed and manipulated, and it was prepared in factories by machines and migrants. This period created the greatest distance between people and their food, and it is no coincidence this period was also the most environmentally devastating in human history.
Source Link

shazeep 03-02-2015 07:41 AM

Re: "Millennials Must Hunt" (L)

nice. Unfortunately hunting, fishing, and farming have largely become illegal now.

Carl 03-02-2015 07:47 AM

The laws and limitations involved make it difficult, plus there is not a lot of the usual game that was typically used for food.

n david 03-02-2015 07:59 AM

Here in AZ, options are limited, especially living in the Phx metro.

I do somewhat envy my friends, a couple who live in Montana and more who live in Colorado.

n david 03-02-2015 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazeep (Post 1361567)
nice. Unfortunately hunting, fishing, and farming have largely become illegal now.

There is one suburb here which allows chickens and gardens. But, yes, most cities have banned people from being able to grow their own food. I have yet to hear/read a valid reason for the ban.

shazeep 03-02-2015 08:10 AM

oh, there are always reasons deemed "valid," that largely do not enforce the will of the people, imo...but i think a garden in one's backyard is usually ok. I'm from CO, love elk; but hunting an elk = about $1000, with no guarantee of even bagging one lol

n david 03-02-2015 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazeep (Post 1361586)
oh, there are always reasons deemed "valid," that largely do not enforce the will of the people, imo...but i think a garden in one's backyard is usually ok. I'm from CO, love elk; but hunting an elk = about $1000, with no guarantee of even bagging one lol

Wow! I haven't looked at the fees for license. We have elk here in AZ which can be hunted. We also have buffalo.

I've heard the deer license has changed back home. Now it's some kind of lottery where you pay a small amount to be put in the lottery and then you buy the license if you win. Used to be you just paid the fee and went hunting.

I kind of understand the limitations though. I mean, if all the hunters went hunting, it would almost wipe out some species.

KeptByTheWord 03-02-2015 12:35 PM

Who says you have to hunt to have your own meat? Meat can also be grown on your own place - think chickens, pigs, and cows....

Scott Pitta 04-26-2015 02:11 AM

Here in Wisconsin, we eat our fair share of wide game. Mostly fish, venison and duck. Bear is a great meal. Turkey is also fine table fare.

I do know sustenance hunters on the reservation.

Most of our wide game consumed is venison and fish. Primarily trout and walleye.

FlamingZword 04-26-2015 12:02 PM

Here in California we could turn our swimming pools into fisheries. :D