Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Political Talk (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Mike Huckabee visits UPC. (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=11426)

Sherri 01-15-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalkLady (Post 358460)
It isn't always the women with the long skirts and the buns who get the passes for bad behavior. If the man is a "good old boy" in some churches he gets the pass, too, Just recently I have learned that sometimes it doesn't matter what type of unethical shenanigans he performs - as long as he's "faithful" to the church. It isn't always a "female" thing. I think God must be sick of this. I know I am....Sis. Coonskinner, I appreciate your dedication to standards. This post is in no way directed to you or any other woman or man who sincerely adhere to standards and live upright dedicated lives.

Hi, Talk Lady!!! I've missed you.

TalkLady 01-15-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherri (Post 358463)
Hi, Talk Lady!!! I've missed you.

Hi, Sherri!! ...I am here...Back with bells on (whatever that means)...Where is tamor? I don't see her post very often, but then I am not here as much as in the past. My computer was "hijacked" for awhile, but I am back!! :happydance

Sherri 01-15-2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalkLady (Post 358472)
Hi, Sherri!! ...I am here...Back with bells on (whatever that means)...Where is tamor? I don't see her post very often, but then I am not here as much as in the past. My computer was "hijacked" for awhile, but I am back!! :happydance

She hasn't been on as much lately, but I think she was on earlier today. Her hubby had a bad wreck and they've been pretty caught up in all that goes along with that. MRI's, therapy, etc.

TalkLady 01-15-2008 09:12 PM

I read that about her husband. I hope he has recovered or is well on the way to recovery.

Barb 01-16-2008 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tv1a (Post 358395)
A lot of sin is swept under the rug because the hair-do is right and the skirts are long enough. Many are led to a unscriptural conclusion that a dress code is what separates the disciples of Christ from the world.

I made a remark that if a christian who has to tell the world he's a christian isn't as big of a christian as he think he is. The church didn't slap the label christian on their backs. They were content to be followers of Christ. The world labeled them as chriistians, and that was more of a slur than a compliment.

The drooling over Huckabee's visit to the church is so insincere, considering some of the posters had a problem with the Clintons visiting the Manguns in Alexandria. Considering some posters had a problem with Obama and Hillary speaking at Rick Warren's church, yet turn around and pat a upc congregation on the back for having a republican is incosistent. btw, I know a few people who would consider it an insult to label the church in Auburn Hills a upci church. They are not affilliated with the upci. Some of the ministerial staff are licensed with upci, but the church isn't.

At least I'm consistent. I don't like political pulpits for anyone. Even if the press wasn't allowed in the service, the photo-ops were plenty.

If anything good came out of the Huckabee visit, it would be the church was mentioned in every media outlet in that area a number of times. One can't buy publicity like that.

As I indicated in another thread, another person has suddenly become mute when I called him out on his off based whacked out opinion. When I presented the facts, the person cowered into the darkness, never to respond.

Your only response to the post of mine you intially had a problem with was a negative response. I considered why the hostile comment. The reasonable conclusion is your definition of christianity and holiness is tied up in external and subjective developments. I have no control over that. That is your weight to bear.

Bottom line, love is the evidence of discipleship. A subejective dress code is nothing more than a masquarade.

You think I have a negative attitude? I feel more peace than Dan A. sitting front and center at the Tulsa Tango.

And this is exactly why I didn't mention it here when I first heard...

tv1a 01-16-2008 04:42 AM

I have a problem with politicians using religion for gain. This election is getting to be about who is a better christian, who can visit the most churches, who can get the evangelical vote. Every politician has an ulterior motive. Huckabee wouldn't be there if there wasn't an political opportunity.

I have a problem with the double standard. When the Clintons visited Alexandria, or when there were Democrats visiting Saddleback, there some who thought they allowed the anti-christ to arrive.

I don't think any less of the leadership or the church because of the visit. Their staff is better than most upci districts. They still rank the second best church in the world (Behind mine, of course).

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastorD (Post 358442)
TV....do you disagree that Huckabee's visit wasn't newsworthy?

I can assure you. . . .it was posted with no drool.

tv1a 01-16-2008 04:44 AM

Is it because it appears only certain politicians can visit upci churches and others can't? Put Jesse Jackson behind the pulpit and watch the sparks fly.Watch people talk.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barb (Post 358591)
And this is exactly why I didn't mention it here when I first heard...

tv1a 01-16-2008 04:49 AM

You got a point the good old boys get a pass, especially if they have deep pockets.

The point every seems to miss is the church has misplace priorities on what it means to be a disciple of Christ. Jesus spelled it out when he said people know we are His disciples because of love. The rest of it is a facade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalkLady (Post 358460)
It isn't always the women with the long skirts and the buns who get the passes for bad behavior. If the man is a "good old boy" in some churches he gets the pass, too, Just recently I have learned that sometimes it doesn't matter what type of unethical shenanigans he performs - as long as he's "faithful" to the church. It isn't always a "female" thing. I think God must be sick of this. I know I am....Sis. Coonskinner, I appreciate your dedication to standards. This post is in no way directed to you or any other woman or man who sincerely adhere to standards and live upright dedicated lives.

Monkeyman 01-16-2008 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tv1a (Post 358616)
I have a problem with politicians using religion for gain. This election is getting to be about who is a better christian, who can visit the most churches, who can get the evangelical vote. Every politician has an ulterior motive. Huckabee wouldn't be there if there wasn't an political opportunity.

I have a problem with the double standard. When the Clintons visited Alexandria, or when there were Democrats visiting Saddleback, there some who thought they allowed the anti-christ to arrive.

I don't think any less of the leadership or the church because of the visit. Their staff is better than most upci districts. They still rank the second best church in the world (Behind mine, of course).

If I can interrupt your rants for a sec, thanks...I am one of the one that supported Pastor Warmen, I also am UPC, and, I also have had no problem with POA or Saddleback for allowing a politician to visit or speak at their service. In fact, if you go back to the thread about Hillary visiting Saddleback, I started a thread asking who would/wouldn't let Prez Hillary speak at your service if she asked....do you remember that? So you will at least give me props that I'm consistent, riiight? Right??? Hello???

So...I am expecting a statement/blurb from you that somehow states that there are those in the upc rank and file that are at least consistent in their beliefs...thank you, you may continue...

Monkeyman 01-16-2008 06:04 AM

Also, we parts ways again because I don't have a problem with a church disagreeing with a politicians platform/party so much as not to invite or allow a certain persuasion behind their pulpit. THEY/pastor has the right to say who or who isn't allowed there IMO...