Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Father??? Have you ever (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=40480)

Truthseeker 08-17-2012 04:04 PM

Father??? Have you ever

Responded to your kids in anger and about to lose it? Then feel like dirtbag. I hope I'm not the only one.

Bishop Cleatus 08-17-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truthseeker
Responded to your kids in anger and about to lose it? Then feel like dirtbag. I hope I'm not the only one.

Yes.

Jermyn Davidson 08-17-2012 08:35 PM

Re: Father??? Have you ever

Well, whatever you do, don't be one of those parents that never apologize to their children.

Turn this stumbling block into a stepping stone and teach your children a little something about humanity, humility, and love.

Bishop Cleatus 08-17-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson
Well, whatever you do, don't be one of those parents that never apologize to their children.

Turn this stumbling block into a stepping stone and teach your children a little something about humanity, humility, and love.

Well said.

bbyrd009 08-18-2012 12:19 PM

Yup. My dad never looked so small to me as when he could not apologize.

MissBrattified 08-18-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson (Post 1182701)

:thumbsup

Apologize without excuses (because a child's bad behavior isn't the cause of a parent's bad behavior) and move on.

Jeff and I have a rule that if we get into an argument in front of the kids we have to make up in front of the kids. Good parenting doesn't mean perfection, but it is important to teach kids how to handle things appropriately when you do mess up. If you want your children to apologize when they are wrong, you set the example.

Truthseeker 08-19-2012 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissBrattified (Post 1182792)
:thumbsup

Apologize without excuses (because a child's bad behavior isn't the cause of a parent's bad behavior) and move on.

Jeff and I have a rule that if we get into an argument in front of the kids we have to make up in front of the kids. Good parenting doesn't mean perfection, but it is important to teach kids how to handle things appropriately when you do mess up. If you want your children to apologize when they are wrong, you set the example.

That sounds like a good rule. Good one.

I do apologize, its a rarity that I respond that way which is reason why it has such a impact on them because they are not used to. Daughter told my wife later she was so scared she cleaned her room when we got back home. Just makes me feel like mr dirtbag dad.

HolyFire 08-19-2012 04:40 AM

Yes, once or twice. My almost two year old is bad about crossing borders we've set up consistently (i.e. she a climber and loves to get on tables and computer desk, even after automatic spankings each time for doing so). Most of the time I'm calm, but once she hit me in the face while one of our pre-spanking talks. I was careful not haul off and hit too hard but I did get angry, especially after telling her time and again hitting was a no-no (the dogs in the other cases).

I have to be careful not to yell after the 3rd / 4th spanking over the same thing in 1hr. She knows it's wrong. She'll see me coming and take off running. She's very determined to say the least.

houston 08-19-2012 07:50 AM

Spanking a 2 yr old for hitting you, how does that work? That's like me telling my son to never hit a girl, then I slap his momma in the face.

bbyrd009 08-19-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houston (Post 1182860)
Spanking a 2 yr old for hitting you, how does that work? That's like me telling my son to never hit a girl, then I slap his momma in the face.

Ha I struggled with that, too; always wondered how literal "the rod" was supposed to be. But I think it comes down to Authority, who has it, and punishment, who deserves it? I got spanked for a lot of things deserved, and I don't hold it against my parents, or hit people.