Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   The Welcome Mat (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   New Christian (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=45922)

Robert Sanders 04-10-2014 05:02 AM

New Christian

I am in the process, of becoming a Christian. I have been to several different churches and been visiting Christian websites and forums on the Internet. I have noticed that Christians believe many different things among themselves. I myself are not completely clear just as to how I believe on certain scriptures pertaining to the Bible. I have come here to discuss with you the way you believe and why you believe the way you do. I want to compare your belief of the scriptures and the Bible, to the other Christian denominations. Then I can decide for myself
which way I ought to believe.

Robert Sanders

OneAccord 04-10-2014 06:02 AM

Re: New Christian

Robert- I appreciate the way you phrased that: "...in the process of becoming a Christian". It really is a process. The Bible tells us in John 1 that "As many as received Him, to them He gave power to BECOME the sons of God". The "becoming" starts when we accept Jesus and continues throughout life, in my opinion.

That being said, and in relation to the term "sons of God", I'll point you to another verse.

Rom 8:14
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Our quest to becoming sons (and daughters) of God begins when we repent of our sins and continues as we are led by His Spirit. As you venture into the tangled world of beliefs, you'll find an incredible and confusing maze of differing views and opinions. It will be difficult if not impossible to "decide for yourself what to believe" by listening to all the voices you'll hear. There is ONE VOICE you should give heed to. And that is the voice of the Lord, speaking to you from His Word. The Bible says His sheep will only hear and follow the voice of the Shepherd. The fact is everyone thinks their belief is right. I believe (and hope) I'm right. And, I think I am, because I try to "examine myself (and My beliefs ) often to ensure they are right with the Bible. 2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? As I said, I believe and hope I'm right. But one thing is for sure. The Word of God is right, and as long as I stay true to it, I'm right.

I encourage you to continue in your studies. Prayerfully study His Word and allow the Holy Spirit to lead you.

Jhn 16:13
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Luke 04-10-2014 07:20 AM

As someone interested in becomeing a christian read and reread the gospels especially Mark and John and pray that God guides you to the truth.

KeptByTheWord 04-10-2014 09:04 AM

To put it quite simply... to be a Christian, means to identify yourself completely with Jesus Christ in his death, burial, and resurrection. Look to Jesus as the example to pattern your life after. Seek to be transformed into his image. That is what it means to be a Christian.

Timmy 04-10-2014 12:34 PM

Robert, just don't expect 100% (or even 30%) agreement on important (or unimportant) details (or the big picture). :thumbsup

Robert Sanders 04-11-2014 09:47 AM

Thank you for all your replies.

Robert Sanders 04-11-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmy (Post 1307913)
Robert, just don't expect 100% (or even 30%) agreement on important (or unimportant) details (or the big picture). :thumbsup

I was wondering, what could I expect from you?

Timmy 04-11-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Sanders (Post 1307980)
I was wondering, what could I expect from you?

See those two words under my name? "Don't ask." :lol

But actually, I'm just here to poke and prod. Trying to make people think about what they believe. I'm not Apostolic. Not Christian. Former Assembly of God. Now agnostic, with deist leanings.

Really, a new Christian should ignore me. :heeheehee

Robert Sanders 04-11-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmy (Post 1307982)
I'm not Apostolic. Not Christian. Former Assembly of God. Now agnostic, with deist leanings.

That is a long fall. I am on the way up.

Timmy 04-11-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Sanders (Post 1307987)
That is a long fall. I am on the way up.

Good for you! Wait. What? I haven't fallen. I've moved on. :heeheehee