Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Prepper's Patch (http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Food with the longest shelf life? (http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=42840)

RandyWayne 03-27-2013 12:10 PM

Food with the longest shelf life?

Besides the obvious ones: Salt -indefinite. Honey -indefinite. Powdered milk -Very long to indefinite. What are some foods that can last a long time in the bag or can without going the "fill the Mylar bag then replace all the air with nitrogen gas" route? Before anyone says "canning!", I am looking at stuff that stores for years, not a season or two.

MawMaw 03-27-2013 12:17 PM

Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

I would think dry rice and dry beans would keep a very long time?

Jack Shephard 03-27-2013 12:18 PM

Twinkies.

MawMaw 03-27-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Shephard (Post 1238258)
Twinkies.

:heeheehee

Godzchild 03-27-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Shephard (Post 1238258)
Twinkies.

how about trying a deep fried Twinkie? They are really good! I do know Twinkies will last a long time...maybe not the ones deep fried tho...:heeheehee

Hoovie 03-27-2013 03:47 PM

Mcdonalds french fries last forever. Seriously.

ILG 03-27-2013 04:51 PM

I've heard rumors about fruitcake. ;)

Miss Scarlett 03-27-2013 05:20 PM

I've heard that if you seal them in a jar dry and put bay leaves in dry beans and rice that it will keep the bug out.

Cindy 03-27-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILG (Post 1238347)
I've heard rumors about fruitcake. ;)

:highfive

The rum preserves it.

Roagiesgal 03-27-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Scarlett (Post 1238355)
I've heard that if you seal them in a jar dry and put bay leaves in dry beans and rice that it will keep the bug out.

That sounds good! We have pantry moth traps, they are organic, and you only use one at a time, they are attracted to it and get stuck and die! Hopefully before they laid any eggs. We try to keep things sealed up best we can, but you still can get those nasty moths.

That is part of our prepping also to have infestation controls, as natural as we can. We live in a neighborhood with a lot of old timber and we have had rat issues in the past...(that is another story) So we have the run though bate boxes for them, and traps for mice. and You can even get traps for flies which we have, they don't smell good; that is why the flies like them; so you want to be able to hang them away from your house, but they do work.