Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Deep Waters (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Apostles and Prophets? (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=17730)

Praxeas 08-12-2008 06:32 PM

Apostles and Prophets?

I think often "prophets" in "built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets" to most refers to OT prophets. However this verse might counter that notion.

Eph 3:4 When you read this, you can perceive my insight into the mystery of Christ,
Eph 3:5 which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit.
Eph 3:6 This mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

1Corinth2v4 08-12-2008 06:43 PM

Re: Apostles and Prophets?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Praxeas (Post 563815)
I think often "prophets" in "built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets" to most refers to OT prophets. However this verse might counter that notion.

Eph 3:4 When you read this, you can perceive my insight into the mystery of Christ,
Eph 3:5 which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit.
Eph 3:6 This mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

Praxeas, what's your opinion regarding how roles differ between a pastor and prophet?

OneAccord 08-12-2008 06:54 PM

You didn't ask me, but I'll give you my opion, if you don't mind. Primarily, a pastor brings messages -sermons on a varity of topics).

A Prophet brings A Message. We mistake the role of the prophet. We think a prophet speaks some future event and we sit back to see if it comes to pass or not, and we judge accordingly. And rightfully so, because the Bible says to do so. However, speaking words of prophecy is but one side of the ministry of a prophet. A very small side. The Message a prophet brings...that is what we should hear.

The Message of the prophet in Eph. 3 was to reveal the mystery of Christ.

Sam 08-12-2008 08:19 PM

In my opinion, God placed Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors, and Teachers in the church for His own reasons and those offices will be in the church until it reaches perfection.
That is my understanding of Ephesians 4:11-16

mizpeh 08-12-2008 08:26 PM

Quote:

And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; eph 2:20

Prax, I see what you're saying but I believe this foundation the church is built upon is the word of God we have received from the apostles and the prophets. The written word of God. The OT prophets spoke of Christ and the apostles confirmed their words.

What NT prophets can you find who have written about the mystery that the Gentiles are fellow heirs?

Sam 08-12-2008 09:10 PM

When I was attending the Apostolic Bible Institute in St. Paul, MN in 1956-1957, Bro. S.G. Norris taught us plainly that the apostles and prophets were foundational in the church (based on Ephesians 2:20 and Revelation 21:14) and that these offices ceased in the first century. He taught that there were only 12 apostles, that the choosing of Matthias was an error and Paul was the 12th and last apostle. I was a new Christian but I found several more men in the NT who were called apostles so I knew that what he was teaching was not true. Looking back, I think he was still reacting to the "Latter Rain" movement which had caused some problems in the UPC a few years previously.

As far as prophets in the NT church, we don't read of many mentioned by name. Ones I can think of right now are:

--Agabus and some others who are not named, Acts 11:27-28; 21:10
--Barnabas, Simeon, Lucius, Manaen, Saul Acts 13:1, these are listed as prophets and teachers so I don't know if they all fulfilled both offices or if some were prophets and others were teachers
--Judas and Silas, Acts 15:32
perhaps someone can think of more

In 1 Corinthians 12 where some of the gifts of the Spirit are listed, one of them is the office of prophet, ref 1 Corinthians 12:28-29

And in 1 Corinthians 14 where the protocol for operating spiritual gifts is set up, we are told to let 2 or 3 prophets speak. We are also told that we can all prophesy (hopefully not all in the same service) so that indicates to me that the gift of prophecy (which we are all told to covet) and the office/gift of a prophet are two separate things. Ref 1 Corinthians 14:29-33

Sam 08-12-2008 09:30 PM

Every so often we talk on this forum about apostles in the New Testament.

I have the following notes about 26 people called "apostle" or "messenger" or "he that is sent" who are named. There are also a couple who are not named, plus Jesus is called an apostle in the NT.

The original 12 are listed in Matthew 10:1-4 and Luke 6:12-16.

Here is the list according to my notes (don't know for sure where I got these notes or if the word count is accurate)

Apostles
See Matthew 10:1-4; Luke 6:12-16 for original 12

The word apostle comes from apo(apart) and stello(set fast)
and means one set apart, a delegated messenger

apostolos -a delegate, one sent with full power of attorney to act in the place of another, the sender remaining behind to back up the one sent.

The word occurs 81 times in the NT,
It is translated apostle 78 times,
messenger 2 times,
and he that is sent 1 time.

1 Peter, or Simon, or Kefa
2 Andrew
3 James (brother of John)
4 John (brother of James)
5 Philip
6 Batholomew or Nathaniel, brother of Philip
7 James, son of Alphaeus or James the less Mark 15:40
8 Judas, or Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus, son of James,
9 Matthew or Levi of Alphaeus Mark 2:14; Lu 6:15-16
10Thomas or Didymus or Twin
11 Simon the Zealot Acts 1:13
12 Judas Iscariot
13 Matthias Acts 1:26 (Paul refers to him as one of the 12 in I Cor 15:5)
14 Saul or Paul Gal. 1:1; 2:7,8
15 Barnabas Acts 11:22; 13:1-4; 14:1,4,14;I Cor 9:5-6
16 Andronicus Rom 16:7
17 Junia or Junias, or Julia Rom 16:7 (only woman called an apostle)
18 Apollos I Cor 4:6-9
19 James the Lord’s brother Gal 1:19 Acts 1:14, 1 Cor 15:7
20 Timothy I Thess 1:1; 2:6
21 Silas or Silvanus I Thess 1:1; 2:6, Acts 15:23
22 Titus 2 Cor. 8:23 (messenger) Acts 19:22
23 Epaphroditus Phil 2:25 (messenger)
24 Erastus Acts 19:22
25 Judas (Barsabas) Acts 15:23
26 Tychicus 2 Tim 4:12
27 Unnamed brothers 2 Cor 8:23
28 Jesus Christ Heb. 3:1

Praxeas 08-12-2008 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mizpeh (Post 563863)
And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; eph 2:20

Prax, I see what you're saying but I believe this foundation the church is built upon is the word of God we have received from the apostles and the prophets. The written word of God. The OT prophets spoke of Christ and the apostles confirmed their words.

What NT prophets can you find who have written about the mystery that the Gentiles are fellow heirs?

But Paul speaks of a knowledge others did not have in the past and is JUST NOW being revealed by the Apostles and prophets

Michael The Disciple 08-12-2008 11:12 PM

I see nothing in the New Testament to make me think there are no prophets. I cant think of anyone I have ever known of that was one but Im sure they are around somewhere.

pelathais 08-13-2008 12:59 AM

Quote:

The phrase "the prophets" was used in different ways in the New Testament era. It may have been used to refer to the Old Testament prophets (Acts 3:24-25). Here, NT believers are called "children of the prophets..."

Acts 13:1 and Acts 15:32 describe living prophets ministering during the days of the apostles.

1 Corinthians 12:28 and 1 Corinthians 14:29-32 seem to refer to the fact that "prophets" would continue to be found throughout the Church Age.

Ephesians 3:4-5 does set a time frame of "now" for the prophets described in those verses. But it would not make sense (IMHO) to categorically say that the phrase must always be understood in only this manner. Matthew 2:23, for example, wouldn't make any sense if contemporary prophets were inserted into the meaning.

But I think what you may be looking at is an implication of Ephesians 3:4-5 being that our faith rests upon the ministry of "prophets" who existed outside the scope of the Old Testament; ie: prophets living at the time of the apostles and possibly even today.

A lot of folks fear to tread down this path because they've been burned before. Personally, I think it's the "prophets" falsely called who will suffer from the burning (1 Corinthians 3:10-15), but it is wise to avoid foolishness.