Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Divorcee: (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=52029)

Aquila 03-07-2018 01:29 PM

Re: The Divorcee:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Pitta (Post 1521949)
It is very possible Paul had an issue in mind we are not aware of.

He mentions the same qualification twice. Here is the second mention:

A deacon must be faithful to his wife and must manage his children and his household well.

Why did Paul repeat this qualification twice ? He did not do so for other qualifications.

If he only meant faithfulness in family, then divorce and remarriage are not part of the qualifications. If Paul felt divorce was a disqualified, he could have simply said as much.

That's why I believe it goes beyond just being divorced and remarried. It would include polygamy and concubinage also. Just be the "husband of one wife".

And I don't believe this is the result of "moralizing". The intention isn't to condemn anyone. I believe it is about being able to manage the family of God, being blameless, above reproach, and having a good report among those outside of the church.

In the oldest Christian traditions, do we see any kind of rejection regarding divorcees in the office of bishop?

Scott Pitta 03-07-2018 02:07 PM

Great question. Not sure of the answer.

The view from here: in our society, there is no stigmatism against ministers or anyone else who are divorced.

If there is failure due to the other qualifications, such as in handling money or being inhospitable, do such failures disqualify a person from ministry ?

Not quarrelsome. Would we all be disqualified due to our history of posts ????

If we look the other way with some qualifications, we should also look the other way when it comes to being faithful to our wife.

I do not recall a pastor being disqualified for being quarrelsome. Yet according to Paul, it is an offense that would disqualify a person from being a deacon.

Interesting post.

Aquila 03-07-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Pitta (Post 1521970)
Great question. Not sure of the answer.

The view from here: in our society, there is no stigmatism against ministers or anyone else who are divorced.

If there is failure due to the other qualifications, such as in handling money or being inhospitable, do such failures disqualify a person from ministry ?

Not quarrelsome. Would we all be disqualified due to our history of posts ????

If we look the other way with some qualifications, we should also look the other way when it comes to being faithful to our wife.

I do not recall a pastor being disqualified for being quarrelsome. Yet according to Paul, it is an offense that would disqualify a person from being a deacon.

Interesting post.

All good points. Considering things done in the military and things done after backsliding and becoming angry with God, God knows that I'd be disqualified well before even considering my divorce.

I'd like to know the oldest surviving tradition regarding this text.