Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Old Paths (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=53466)

Bro Flame 08-06-2019 09:33 AM

The Old Paths

The "If It Worked for Them, It'll Work for Us" attitude.

What fundamentals did elders in your church or life lay before you that you took heed as essential and won't compromise?

Does error occur when one sees fundamentals as tradition?

Why are landmarks moved?

diakonos 08-06-2019 09:40 AM

Re: The Old Paths

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holy Roller (Post 1569474)

What fundamentals did elders in your church or life lay before you that you took heed as essential and won't compromise?

Why are landmarks moved?

These always turn into standards threads. IRL convo, landmarks are always some church standard.

So, in that vein... not many.

jediwill83 08-06-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holy Roller (Post 1569474)

Why are landmarks moved?

The "landmarks" was literal landmarks denoting property lines. Jewish civil law. It doesn't mean "old ways are best" If THAT was the case Jesus violated the "landmarks" clause by instituting a new covenant.

Ive had so many "elders" and all had opinions on this and that and alot of those views clashed one with the other.

It devolves into this race and contest on who is more "old paths" and trust me...there is always gonna be someone out there more "old paths" than either of us.

Thank God they arent on the throne.

Bro Flame 08-06-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diakonos (Post 1569475)

These always turn into standards threads. IRL convo, landmarks are always some church standard.

So, in that vein... not many.

Standards were standards for a reason, though.

diakonos 08-06-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holy Roller (Post 1569481)
Standards were standards for a reason, though.

Doesn’t mean they were right.

Bro Flame 08-06-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diakonos (Post 1569482)
Doesn’t mean they were right.

Doesn't make them wrong, either.

diakonos 08-06-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holy Roller (Post 1569484)
Doesn't make them wrong, either.

Sure thing, kiddo.

Bro Flame 08-09-2019 08:06 AM

Old paths can point toward standards and stuff like that. Naturally.

Does the current generation have the love and compassion our elders had?

derAlte 08-09-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holy Roller (Post 1569619)
Old paths can point toward standards and stuff like that. Naturally.

Does the current generation have the love and compassion our elders had?

The old paths should be the unchangeable Apostolic doctrines from the Scripture that should never be neglected...the Oneness of God, Repentance, Jesus' Name Baptism, the Baptism of the Holy Ghost evidenced by speaking in tongues, Biblically defined holiness of heart and practice.

All the above is negated by a lack of love and compassion. You can have your doctrine spot on and still go to hell without love and compassion. I seen enough of this lack to last me the rest of my life.

I'm now eligible for senior citizen discounts. I suspect that everyone who has reached my stage in life laments over the loss of the good old days. But it does seem that in my lifetime, I have seen a lessening of fervor, and of love, honor, and respect among the brotherhood. Accompanied by that, I have seen a creeping worldliness on one side and a hardening harshness on the other side by men who think the methods and holiness standards of the 1960s were the be-all, end-all Christian way for all eternity. There used to be a lot more tolerance among us for differing points of view. Now days, I hear of men celebrating their supposedly-God given "convictions," justifying why they separate themselves from others who don't share these convictions. In my opinion, some of these "convictions" are pretty dodgy from a Bible point of view. We need to find the right balance between Spirit and Truth.

Amanah 08-09-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derAlte (Post 1569635)
The old paths should be the unchangeable Apostolic doctrines from the Scripture that should never be neglected...the Oneness of God, Repentance, Jesus' Name Baptism, the Baptism of the Holy Ghost evidenced by speaking in tongues, Biblically defined holiness of heart and practice.

All the above is negated by a lack of love and compassion. You can have your doctrine spot on and still go to hell without love and compassion. I seen enough of this lack to last me the rest of my life.

I'm now eligible for senior citizen discounts. I suspect that everyone who has reached my stage in life laments over the loss of the good old days. But it does seem that in my lifetime, I have seen a lessening of fervor, and of love, honor, and respect among the brotherhood. Accompanied by that, I have seen a creeping worldliness on one side and a hardening harshness on the other side by men who think the methods and holiness standards of the 1960s were the be-all, end-all Christian way for all eternity. There used to be a lot more tolerance among us for differing points of view. Now days, I hear of men celebrating their supposedly-God given "convictions," justifying why they separate themselves from others who don't share these convictions. In my opinion, some of these "convictions" are pretty dodgy from a Bible point of view. We need to find the right balance between Spirit and Truth.

Well said brother:yourock