Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   For My Sake (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=54832)

phareztamar 03-09-2023 02:39 AM

For My Sake

Chapter Six

For My Sake

He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that looseth his life for my sake shall find it.

Not long ago, life was not the all-consuming spirit of mammon that it is today. Folks were quite content with God, country, family, and daily bread. The natural fear and reverence of God still made room for Him at the table and in the heart. The voice of conscience could still be heard, uncluttered by TV, radio and phone.

In my Lord’s lesson the Greek word for “findeth” means: “to find for oneself, to gain for oneself, to procure or obtain for oneself”. Most fall into this mammon spirit treadmill their entire lives. They’ve grown up watching their parents. Then, fresh out of school, they have to earn money. That helps, but after a taste, they gotta earn more money. So they commit more time and energy to earn more money. Erelong their lives are consumed by, and revolve around their career, driven by money. Through more achievements and more career advancements, money is their defence of choice and the core motivation in their lives. In the end, they have found their life. They have gained, procured, and obtained for themselves their life.

The biblical path to a wisdom-defence is completely opposite from that of a money-defence. Against a backdrop of the generation we live in, this path
will appear as total foolishness, traveled only by a very few. But this is the only narrow path to life. It begins by hearing, believing, and obeying the gospel of Jesus Christ. This is no small event. Jesus said:

You have not chosen me, but I have chosen you.

The fact that the gospel of grace has crossed your path is an act of incredible love and mercy by my Lord. Your good fortune cannot be measured. It is the very prism point of your short life. After you have repented of your sins and been baptized in the name of Jesus, he then baptizes you with the Holy Ghost. Now you have been born again. Now, from the windows of heaven, you are a babe in Christ. This transformation cannot be overstated. A babe is a brand new creature in a brand new world; completely helpless, and entirely dependant upon their parent(s). The new birth should make you always hungry for more nourishment, more love and attention, and more warmth and safety.

As a newborn it is imperative that you first submit yourself to (and become a vital part of) the church…the body of Christ. Imperative that you submit yourself to the pastor He has called you to serve under. Never has a baby crawled out of his nursery to seek out greener nurseries. Critical to your very survival in your brand new world, is to maintain a constant diet of anointed preaching and teaching from the word of God. Babies don’t grow up overnight…it takes time and nurturing.

This new birth should launch a daily excitement in your spirit for another chance to grow in grace and knowledge. You should be a fixture in the house of the Lord every time the doors open. Learning how to pray and worship, searching for your calling, involved in every outreach and activity, and there for whatever the need might be. In short, the biggest duck in the puddle. Your life must have a totally new perspective now. Imagine it! A sinner saved by the grace and mercy of God. Death is no longer the scary end for you. My Lord opened a way for us, with a promise of heaven and forever.

Who will render to every man according to his deeds: to them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life:

You have committed your very life to Him, and love Him with all of your heart, mind, and strength.

In that nursery of grace you also learn faithfulness; as your life in Jesus Christ is challenged every day. Faithfulness to your pastor, to your employer, to your family and responsibilities, and to your neighbor. And while losing your life for His sake has made you a better employee, it is but a byproduct now. Your animus used to be career, money, and security, but now, you are a joyful servant of His.

In the new birth you still need money to be sure. But deep down inside your holy of holies, that’s not really why you’re there at work anymore. Now you come early to work, excited and thankful for the opportunity to build yet another masterpiece for your Lord. Contractor or salesman, waitress or clerk, white collar or blue; performing every menial task as unto the king Himself. The benefactor is your employer, you earn a living, and yet daily you’re laying up treasures in heaven.

If you’ve truly chosen to follow Him, the consequence is that you must let go of your plan. This is a fundamental seismic shift in your spirit, and one that many fail to accomplish.

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

As a newborn your very core motivation in your career must change.

He that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

The employer benefits from your new Christian ethic, but the pay and benefits are simply a consequence now, and should never become a goal or driving force. Your new motivation is to serve the Lord with gladness, and your fellow man with love, integrity and mercy. If you’ve let go of your plan it could even result in a total career change or a new location. Maybe my Lord will use your training and education right where you are. But if not, a Christian must defer.

The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and He delighteth in his way.

If you’re still locked into your plan, it leaves Him little room to order your steps. And so let go we must. And in those often uncharted waters; when you focus on the details and intricacies of your career (whether He moved you or not), you do it as building monuments in another world. You perform each task in the job He has placed you in, as if unto Jesus Christ on the throne. The assignments may come from the boss, but your zeal to perform them to the fullest stems from this new found love for your Lord, and your desire to please Him.

Fast forward to retirement. You’ve lived your life serving Jesus, the Christ of God. Your motivation behind every job, sale, project or career adjustment was not the all-consuming spirit of mammon. No, yours was a quest to know Him, learn his ways, and live a life well-pleasing to my Lord. The world has looked to and planned for retirement, while you’ve lived your life looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.

There, then, sits the world around you. All have prepared for life’s end with money as their defence, waiting to die. But lo and behold, there you sit. Though never your goal; He has led you beside still waters, ordered the steps of your career, blessed you with a beautiful home, a precious little family, the grace of God on your life, and a king’s bed. The money defence has gained the world their life, but left them in angst and fear as a fearful end approaches. But a wisdom defence has given you life, and in consequence, the very same things that the world spent their career’s chasing.

For wisdom is a defence, and money is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is that wisdom giveth life to them that have it.