Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pastor Steve Fender talks about TV Resolution at Kenneth Phillips Church (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=8722)

pentecostisalive 10-09-2007 04:19 PM

Pastor Steve Fender talks about TV Resolution at Kenneth Phillips Church

I just found something interesting. Pastor Steve Fender (http://www.livingwaychurchsa.org/) preached at Promiseland Church and mentioned how that Anthony Mangun (he calls him a good friend) had swayed the conference floor in Tampa, FL.

There are couple interesting things.

1) He states that 30 years ago that God placed a vision for using TV in his and KP's heart, and it is the same vision that AM has. He attributes the results to Kenneth Phillips reverbrating influence.

2) He was present on the floor of GC. (I hope he didn't vote)

You can see this for yourself at:
mms://66.232.148.34/Oct1st-7743V.wmv (or http://www.promiselandchurch.net/content/view/112/167/)

If you start watching at 1 hr and 12 minutes in, you will see it.

The charismatics are rejoicing because we are coming their way. It is sad, especially when you look at these men and their churches, and realize that same mistakes they made, UPCI is also repeating.

pelathais 10-09-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pentecostisalive (Post 267946)
I just found something interesting. Pastor Steve Fender (http://www.livingwaychurchsa.org/) preached at Promiseland Church and mentioned how that Anthony Mangun (he calls him a good friend) had swayed the conference floor in Tampa, FL.

There are couple interesting things.

1) He states that 30 years ago that God placed a vision for using TV in his and KP's heart, and it is the same vision that AM has. He attributes the results to Kenneth Phillips reverbrating influence.

2) He was present on the floor of GC. (I hope he didn't vote)

You can see this for yourself at:
mms://66.232.148.34/Oct1st-7743V.wmv (or http://www.promiselandchurch.net/content/view/112/167/)

If you start watching at 1 hr and 12 minutes in, you will see it.

The charismatics are rejoicing because we are coming their way. It is sad, especially when you look at these men and their churches, and realize that same mistakes they made, UPCI is also repeating.

What were those mistakes? KP is a more ardent proponent of Acts 2:38 salvation than some I know in the UPC. He'd probably be a good influence on strengthening some people's doctrine.

I should add as a disclaimer: I've never seen KP in TV not even in his recent primetime appearance baptizing in Jesus name in front of an audience of millions. Nor have I ever attended his church.

MissBrattified 10-09-2007 04:39 PM

1. I wouldn't say that Bro. Kenneth Phillips has made a lot of mistakes to be wept over, and,

2. I would agree that he has probably had some influence with friends, including the Manguns.

3. He's a great soul-winner, and true to the Apostolic message, so I'm not about to criticize him and the mission he has accomplished.

4. I admire him for doing what he thinks is right for the purpose of spreading the Gospel, in spite of what an organization would prefer. A man that lives by his convictions, even when he lost friends over it.

There's nothing sad here.

I do think Bro. Fender exaggerated some of the things that were attributed to Bro. Phillips, and KP would be the first to take the humble side on that point, but that is typical grandiosity coming from a visiting minister toward the host pastor.

Straightline 10-09-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pentecostisalive (Post 267946)
I just found something interesting. Pastor Steve Fender (http://www.livingwaychurchsa.org/) preached at Promiseland Church and mentioned how that Anthony Mangun (he calls him a good friend) had swayed the conference floor in Tampa, FL...

Truth be told, not only was AM's speech not impressive, and more "preaching" than anything else, he spoke out-of-turn, trying to talk about the resolution when the debate at hand was JMJ's amendment, which AM did NOT address.

I did not see any swaying; it appeared all came with made-up minds.

God's Plumbline is a
Straightline

pentecostisalive 10-09-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straightline (Post 267968)

Truth be told, not only was AM's speech not impressive, and more "preaching" than anything else, he spoke out-of-turn, trying to talk about the resolution when the debate at hand was JMJ's amendment, which AM did NOT address.

I did not see any swaying; it appeared all came with made-up minds.

God's Plumbline is a
Straightline

I don't think that AM swayed the floor either, but I found it interesting that men that are not apart of the UPCI are saying that in a positive light.

MissBrattified 10-09-2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pentecostisalive (Post 267969)
I don't think that AM swayed the floor either, but I found it interesting that men that are not apart of the UPCI are saying that in a positive light.

It's just their perception of events, just like from your perspective it is "sad" that anyone would follow in the footsteps of Kenneth Phillips.

MissBrattified 10-09-2007 04:45 PM

PIA, Bro. Phillips is a fine Christian, and all he cares about is winning souls and spreading the Gospel. I will never fault such a thing, and neither should you. If you've never met him, then you really don't know enough to speak of such a wonderful man.

Honestly, I object more to Bro. Fender in this video than I do anything else. Bro. Phillips is not the sort to "rejoice" because anyone is "coming his way."

Barb 10-09-2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissBrattified (Post 267966)
1. I wouldn't say that Bro. Kenneth Phillips has made a lot of mistakes to be wept over, and,

2. I would agree that he has probably had some influence with friends, including the Manguns.

3. He's a great soul-winner, and true to the Apostolic message, so I'm not about to criticize him and the mission he has accomplished.

4. I admire him for doing what he thinks is right for the purpose of spreading the Gospel, in spite of what an organization would prefer. A man that lives by his convictions, even when he lost friends over it.

There's nothing sad here.

I do think Bro. Fender exaggerated some of the things that were attributed to Bro. Phillips, and KP would be the first to take the humble side on that point, but that is typical grandiosity coming from a visiting minister toward the host pastor.

Good post, Abi...as usual, right on target.

pentecostisalive 10-09-2007 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissBrattified (Post 267975)
PIA, Bro. Phillips is a fine Christian, and all he cares about is winning souls and spreading the Gospel. I will never fault such a thing, and neither should you. If you've never met him, then you really don't know enough to speak of such a wonderful man.

I don't know him personally, and he might be the most wonderful man on the face of the earth. Yet, we don't follow someone into false doctrine, no matter how nice he is. Nice doesn't mean "saved", nice doesn't mean "right".

There is more to the Bible than Acts 2:38 and though he believes that, he has thrown out of alot of the rest.

I am not tearing down the man personally, but what he believes and his doctrine is tainted, and watered down.

Barb 10-09-2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pentecostisalive (Post 267978)
I don't know him personally, and he might be the most wonderful man on the face of the earth. Yet, we don't follow someone into false doctrine, no matter how nice he is.

There is more to the Bible than Acts 2:38 and though he believes that, he has thrown out of alot of the rest.

Are you an elder/pastor/preacher?!