Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   New Member Info (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Need Scripture about transfer (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=45466)

VeridicalAngel 01-01-2014 08:10 PM

Need Scripture about transfer

I am trying to do some research as to why us Pentecostals require a transfer letter or permission to change churches.

Are there scriptures to back this up or is it just a UPC requirement?

Rose 01-01-2014 08:27 PM

Re: Need Scripture about transfer

We have been attending UPC churches for many years and have moved several times. None of our pastors offered or ever asked for a transfer letter! Granted we have been in our present church for 5 years. When did this letter or permission requirement begin? Curious.

Praxeas 01-01-2014 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeridicalAngel (Post 1295167)
I am trying to do some research as to why us Pentecostals require a transfer letter or permission to change churches.

Are there scriptures to back this up or is it just a UPC requirement?

It's not a UPC requirement. It's a bunch of Pastors who demand it and happen to be UPC.

No Scripture for it.

missourimary 01-01-2014 09:04 PM

It is or was part of the UPC manual. So it is the rules. just not all preachers play by them.

There is nothing in the Bible that says 'grow where you're planted' or 'this is where you were born, so this is where you stay'. There are scriptures the UPC uses to say we should stay in one local church. But do thos passages talk about the church as being only one local group that meets in a specific building under one man?

VeridicalAngel 01-02-2014 06:56 AM

Do you know where to find them

n david 01-02-2014 07:15 AM

Source Link

Found this link to the 2012 UPC Manual on Google.

Page 127/128 - under "Obligations" for Membership of local assembly, Article II, Section 2:

Quote:

(i) To secure, in case of moving, a letter of membership from the former
church, and unite with another church of the same faith as soon as possible.
Section 3:
Quote:

2. No person being a member of another church in our organization shall be
received as a member into another assembly without a letter of membership.
3. No person desiring to withdraw their membership shall be refused a letter of
membership unless proven guilty of misconduct by confession or conviction.
When said person has made satisfactory restitution to the church they are leaving,
they shall be cleared of all foregoing matters and be ready to be accepted
into the fellowship of a local United Pentecostal Church assembly.
In my 30+ years with the UPC and work with several UPC churches, I've never heard of a UPC Pastor following this requirement. The quotes above are direct from the Manual. While other requirements above and below these have scriptures accompanying, these about the letter of membership do not have any.

missourimary 01-02-2014 07:58 AM

Thanks, NDavid!

VerdicalAngel, the combos I've probably heard most include Heb 10:25 and/or Heb 13:17 and proceed to expound on the authority of the pastor. I wonder how they can preach that way and then praise people like Sis Nona Freeman's mother who moved so frequently during the Depression. And if they believe a person must stay in church to be saved, how can they justify NOT giving a letter of transfer when needed?

Sorry, my internet is limited today so I can't copy/paste the actual verses.

ILG 01-02-2014 08:04 AM

I don't think there are any scriptures for it. We were always taught it was a mandatory thing. Lo and behold, we found out that not everyone does it. Pastors who don't require letters are spoken badly of in quiet circles.

n david 01-02-2014 08:14 AM

Article ii, section 3, paragraph 3 says no one should be denied a letter of membership unless proven guilty of misconduct by conviction/confession. Allegedly a lot of Pastors are guilty of violating that as well, considering all the posts from various members claiming Pastors wouldn't let them leave the church.

n david 01-02-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missourimary (Post 1295190)
Thanks, NDavid!

VerdicalAngel, the combos I've probably heard most include Heb 10:25 and/or Heb 13:17 and proceed to expound on the authority of the pastor. I wonder how they can preach that way and then praise people like Sis Nona Freeman's mother who moved so frequently during the Depression. And if they believe a person must stay in church to be saved, how can they justify NOT giving a letter of transfer when needed?

Sorry, my internet is limited today so I can't copy/paste the actual verses.

YW. I was surprised that was in there. I was never licensed or anything by the UPC. I've read bits and pieces here or there of the Manual, but didn't realize this was considered an obligation or somewhat mandatory.

I doubt the majority actually practice this though. It even mentions the "right hand of fellowship," which I thought was just a Baptist thing. :lol