Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   The D.A.'s Office (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Spiritual Abuse: Fact or Fiction (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=3447)

HeavenlyOne 05-09-2007 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subdued (Post 106438)
I think this is key!

I don't see anything wrong with venting or even talking about the issues. But eventually, one needs to focus on healing. Hopefully, sooner rather than later. Though, some wounds do take longer to heal. Some don't heal properly & need to be re-opened to heal properly. Some heal quickly and/or miraculously! BUT, working towards healing is important.

People who vent need validation from others.

We are taught that the church people are our family, yet, when they cause harm to another, the injury received is brushed off or disregarded. The hurt person is then seen as a troublemaker and people are told to be careful around them.

Strange though. It's been proven that many mental illnesses are brought on by abuse as a child, and those are validated and dealt with, and some never get over the abuse, even though it happened decades ago. But they have to deal with the memories everyday, and trust factors are permanently lost.

The church is our family, but apparently not family enough.

Too bad that's not true in my case.

Pressing-On 05-09-2007 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne (Post 106598)
People who vent need validation from others.

We are taught that the church people are our family, yet, when they cause harm to another, the injury received is brushed off or disregarded. The hurt person is then seen as a troublemaker and people are told to be careful around them.

Strange though. It's been proven that many mental illnesses are brought on by abuse as a child, and those are validated and dealt with, and some never get over the abuse, even though it happened decades ago. But they have to deal with the memories everyday, and trust factors are permanently lost.

The church is our family, but apparently not family enough.

Too bad that's not true in my case.

Good post, HO. I think people are afraid of pain and pretend it isn't there, thereby, ignoring the person in pain.

Gary Tribble's FIL is a great man. He never ignored anything. He would say, "Come by and eat with us so we can talk."

He's a wonderful man of God.

Ferd 05-09-2007 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea (Post 106439)
If so .. and a shepard holds this type of authority over his flock ... it would mean that pastoral abuse .... is lot more common place than saint abuse ...

possibly....but when you factor in number of saints per pastor, it kind of balances out dont you think? being a PK, i suspect you can remember a time or two when your dad (who did not abuse anyone) and your family took it on the chin from a saint....

nathan_slatter 05-09-2007 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michlow (Post 106552)
Oh, did I forget to tell you? He left a message with me. He wants you to send me ALL your money! Once it is received, I will tell you the rest :D

It's easier to just say:

THUS SAITH THE LORD, THOU SHALT SEND ALLETH OF YOURETH MONEYETH TO MICHLOW-HAH...

:largehalo

Sheltiedad 05-09-2007 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferd (Post 106613)
possibly....but when you factor in number of saints per pastor, it kind of balances out dont you think? being a PK, i suspect you can remember a time or two when your dad (who did not abuse anyone) and your family took it on the chin from a saint....

I can agree with this too... people think I am just down on preachers... I have the exact same issues with "saints"... I'm disillusioned on both sides of the fence, which is why I have started thinking more about the kind of people that live in certain towns and the kind of people who are attracted to certain cultures/religions. I can't even shake hands with some of the people at my dad's church without rolling my eyes... easier to just not go.

Michlow 05-09-2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathan_slatter (Post 106623)
It's easier to just say:

THUS SAITH THE LORD, THOU SHALT SEND ALLETH OF YOURETH MONEYETH TO MICHLOW-HAH...

Oooh...I will keep that in mind for next time! :highfive

Sheltiedad 05-09-2007 10:36 AM

Quote:

It's easier to just say:

Wow, since that message was in Elizabethian English, I believe it is truly from God... we all know that's how he talked in the Bible. :D

nathan_slatter 05-09-2007 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michlow (Post 106629)
Oooh...I will keep that in mind for next time! :highfive

Be sure and add the "HAH" at the end -- it doesn't work as well without it... :D

nathan_slatter 05-09-2007 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheltiedad (Post 106633)
Wow, since that message was in Elizabethian English, I believe it is truly from God... we all know that's how he talked in the Bible. :D

THUS SAITH THE LORD, I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND, FORGETTETH MICHLOW SENDETH YOUR MONEYETH TO ME... I MEAN NATE... HAH

Pressing-On 05-09-2007 10:37 AM

Quote:

It's easier to just say:

Whew - I feel it up in here!

:killinme