Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   The D.A.'s Office (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   When the RSV became ANATHEMA: Useless UPCI trivia (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=28929)

DividedThigh 02-26-2010 08:56 AM

Re: When the RSV became ANATHEMA: Useless UPCI tri

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Steinway (Post 880615)
I like the KJV for it's poetic verbiage, but I like the NLT to read and comprehend.

oh youre just a lib and a cub fan to boot, lol:smack

DAII 11-17-2010 01:15 PM

Bump ...

aegsm76 11-17-2010 02:34 PM

Dip

Sam 11-17-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAII (Post 989348)
Bump ...

and grind......

Justin 11-17-2010 03:40 PM

The RSV also contradicts the UPCi's interpretation of uncut hair:

1Cor.11
[1]

Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.

[2]

I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you.

[3] But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a woman is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.
[4] Any man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head,
[5] but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled dishonors her head -- it is the same as if her head were shaven.
[6] For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hair; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her wear a veil.

[7] For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man.
[8] (For man was not made from woman, but woman from man.
[9] Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.)
[10] That is why a woman ought to have a veil on her head, because of the angels.
[11] (Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man nor man of woman;
[12] for as woman was made from man, so man is now born of woman. And all things are from God.)
[13] Judge for yourselves; is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?
[14] Does not nature itself teach you that for a man to wear long hair is degrading to him,
[15] but if a woman has long hair, it is her pride? For her hair is given to her for a covering.
[16] If any one is disposed to be contentious, we recognize no other practice, nor do the churches of God.

Apocrypha 11-18-2010 04:51 AM

I found a true gem of a book on a clearance rack at borders called "God's Secretaries"

Its a biography of the formation of the KJV bible, the politics behind it, the personalities involved in the translators... its a good historical book to help you understand why certain things like "royalty" are stressed in the KJV.

http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Secretari.../dp/0060185163

Walks_in_islam 12-09-2010 03:09 AM

Yep they do

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 989499)
The RSV also contradicts the UPCi's interpretation of uncut hair:

1Cor.11
[1]

Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.

[2]

I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you.

[3] But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a woman is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.
[4] Any man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head,
[5] but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled dishonors her head -- it is the same as if her head were shaven.
[6] For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hair; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her wear a veil.

[7] For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man.
[8] (For man was not made from woman, but woman from man.
[9] Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.)
[10] That is why a woman ought to have a veil on her head, because of the angels.
[11] (Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man nor man of woman;
[12] for as woman was made from man, so man is now born of woman. And all things are from God.)
[13] Judge for yourselves; is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?
[14] Does not nature itself teach you that for a man to wear long hair is degrading to him,
[15] but if a woman has long hair, it is her pride? For her hair is given to her for a covering.
[16] If any one is disposed to be contentious, we recognize no other practice, nor do the churches of God.

Trouvere 08-20-2013 08:13 AM

I would be so excited if ministers would learn to read the Hebrew and Greek.It would be much better than reading other peoples work and arguing over it.There are many doctrines that are based on words that don't even appear in the Greek or Hebrew.
I hate it when someone considers themselves a Bible teacher and teach other peoples written material without any research. You aren't a Bible teacher if you do this...you are a parrot.
JMHO

Trouvere 08-20-2013 08:19 AM

Just a word for the DA.....most modern translations pervert the gospel on purpose. Also when you go to the Greek consider the source of the textbook. Mounce for instance right away gets on the argument about the trinity issue. Many Jewish teachers love to jump on the mystical interpretation bandwagon which includes Gematria so we need to watch for this as well.It's better to study the text in Hebrew and Greek and pray. Theology cannot erase the Jesus in us. Happy studies.