Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   The Garden Path (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Gardening Basics (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=42709)

Cindy 03-18-2013 09:23 AM

Gardening Basics

http://www.hgtv.com/topics/garden/index.html

basil ('Purple Ruffles' or 'Dani')
sage
oregano
common thyme
sweet marjoram
lavender
rosemary
parsley
chives
cilantro
Pick a Location

Pick the location for your herb garden. An ideal location would be a few steps from your kitchen, but any spot that gets about six hours of sun a day is good. If you have space in front of a kitchen window, plant the herbs in small containers for an indoor garden.

Cindy 03-18-2013 12:15 PM

Re: Gardening Basics

I don't know if we are going to have a garden this year. Mike is still so sick, not able to get out and do much outside at all. :(

Our son and DIL will probably do what they can, they always help anyway.

MawMaw 03-18-2013 01:54 PM

And for us, it's just less expensive to buy from the local
Farmer's Market's.

but, it's still fun to watch a few tomato and cucumber plants
grow and produce. :thumbsup

RandyWayne 03-19-2013 12:48 AM

I will be posting some pictures soon of our pepper garden and potato barrels. :)

KeptByTheWord 03-19-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindy (Post 1235523)
I don't know if we are going to have a garden this year. Mike is still so sick, not able to get out and do much outside at all. :(

Our son and DIL will probably do what they can, they always help anyway.

:( I'm sorry to hear that your husband is still not feeling well Cindy! Gardens are a lot of work! Hopefully your son will help you out!

KeptByTheWord 03-19-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lacey (Post 1235547)
And for us, it's just less expensive to buy from the local
Farmer's Market's.

but, it's still fun to watch a few tomato and cucumber plants
grow and produce. :thumbsup

We tried to grow tomatoes here last summer, and I got ONE ripe tomato out of about six plants! I had to take the rest of the green tomatoes inside and ripen them in a cardboard box. We planted around the middle of June, and had our first frost the last weekend in August. The weather here is not conducive to tomatoes unless you have a greenhouse :(

So, we did what you did, went down to the local market and bought our tomatoes...

KeptByTheWord 03-19-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyWayne (Post 1235813)
I will be posting some pictures soon of our pepper garden and potato barrels. :)

Interesting! Can't wait :)

Cindy 03-19-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1235867)
We tried to grow tomatoes here last summer, and I got ONE ripe tomato out of about six plants! I had to take the rest of the green tomatoes inside and ripen them in a cardboard box. We planted around the middle of June, and had our first frost the last weekend in August. The weather here is not conducive to tomatoes unless you have a greenhouse :(

So, we did what you did, went down to the local market and bought our tomatoes...

Yeah, I know it is hard in some places. Did y'all try fried green tomatoes? They are yummy.

Cindy 03-19-2013 08:32 AM

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html

Ingredients

Oil
4 green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch rings
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon garlic powder
4 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
Pinch cayenne pepper
Pinch paprika
Buttermilk Dipping Sauce, recipe follows

Directions

In a deep-fryer, preheat oil to 350 degrees F.

Season tomatoes, on both sides, with salt and pepper. Place flour and garlic powder in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, beat eggs with the milk. In another dish, mix bread crumbs with cayenne and paprika. Dredge tomatoes through the flour, then the eggs, and then through the bread crumbs. Add only a few pieces to the fryer at a time, so they can cook evenly, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve with Buttermilk Dipping Sauce:

Buttermilk Dipping Sauce:

1 cup apple cider
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Neelys BBQ sauce
1 lime, juiced
4 scallions, sliced thin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the apple cider and brown sugar. Allow to reduce until thick and syrupy. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

In a medium bowl, add buttermilk, mayonnaise, BBQ sauce and lime juice and whisk well. Add in the scallions and the apple cider mixture. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve with Fried Green Tomatoes.

Cindy 03-19-2013 08:35 AM

Ingredients

3 or 4 large firm green tomatoes
Salt
2 cups vegetable or peanut oil, for deep-frying
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups self-rising flour
Freshly ground black pepper

Vidalia Onion Relish:

2 white onions, diced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons chopped chives

Directions

Slice the tomatoes 1/4-inch thick. Lay them out in a shallow baking pan and sprinkle with salt. Place the tomato slices in a colander and allow time for salt to pull the water out of the tomatoes, approximately 30 minutes.

In a skillet, heat the oil for deep-frying over medium-high heat.

Dip the tomatoes into buttermilk, then dredge them into flour with a dash of pepper. Deep-fry until golden brown. Keep warm.