Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   UPCI charges 23% of missions giving (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

areyourucky 03-21-2009 05:24 PM

UPCI charges 23% of missions giving

Is it better to give donations directly to missionaries. The UPCI charges 23% for overhead on donations. So if 4 million is collected this year for missions, they get 1 million to answer the phone. overhead seem high. can anyone explain this better to me.

Evang.Benincasa 03-21-2009 05:45 PM

Re: UPCI charges 23% of missions giving

Quote:

Originally Posted by areyourucky (Post 723382)
Is it better to give donations directly to missionaries. The UPCI charges 23% for overhead on donations. So if 4 million is collected this year for missions, they get 1 million to answer the phone. overhead seem high. can anyone explain this better to me.

Can you prove that?

Dordrecht 03-21-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

That's hard to believe!!!
Where did you get this information??

pelathais 03-21-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

I don't think anyone could possibly "explain" your figures until you disclose where you get the "23%" figure.

Seems like a post designed to get people to NOT support Foreign Missions, IMHO.

ManOfWord 03-21-2009 06:14 PM

I'm not "buying" this until the facts can be proven, and quite frankly, I don't think they can! :D

Evang.Benincasa 03-21-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dordrecht (Post 723403)
That's hard to believe!!!
Where did you get this information??

Thank you, I'm still waiting myself.

Sam 03-21-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

I'm not UPC and I don't know what the handling fee is. 23 percent seems high.
Some of that might go toward a retirement fund, toward hospitalization and life insurance, or as with holding for taxes.
So it may not go to the missionary as cash but they do receive it as a benefit.

It is my understanding that if money is given directly to a missionary, it causes a tax problem with the government where the missionary is located. It is also my understanding that if a UPC missionary receives money directly, they have to report that to UPC headquarters and then what they receive from headquarters is reduced by the amount the missionary received directly.

Like I said, I am not UPC and do not know how the system works, but from what I've heard, there is a reason for the system being the way it is.

Someone like Sis. Alvear who knows some UPC missionaries would be in a better position to comment on this.

Let's not make this another "bash the UPC" thread.

pelathais 03-21-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

:chirp

... Been almost an hour Bro.

Evang.Benincasa 03-21-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelathais (Post 723407)
I don't think anyone could possibly "explain" your figures until you disclose where you get the "23%" figure.

Seems like a post designed to get people to NOT support Foreign Missions, IMHO.

Interesting point made here.

Still waiting for all that proof.

Evang.Benincasa 03-21-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManOfWord (Post 723408)
I'm not "buying" this until the facts can be proven, and quite frankly, I don't think they can! :D

Facts where might those facts be?