Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   The Garden Path (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   If You Planted a Garden What Did You Plant? (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=42755)

Esther 03-20-2013 10:42 PM

If You Planted a Garden What Did You Plant?

I finished planting my garden of corn, peas, okra, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, potatoes, cucumbers, cantaloupe, and watermelon.

I have never planted potatoea before , My neighbor gave me a potato bag to plant the potatoes in. Will see how that goes.

*AQuietPlace* 03-21-2013 09:22 PM

Re: If You Planted a Garden What Did You Plant?

Doing mostly container gardening this year, other than green beans and cucumbers which I planted in our garden spot. In containers I have tomatoes, jalapenos, oregano, basil and cilantro. Also planted strawberries and blackberries.

Esther 03-22-2013 11:37 AM

I would love to find some really sweet strawberries to plant. I found some when I lived in Houston, and I had them planted in kiddie pools that was working wonderful, but my hubby said no pools. :) and I was not able to bring them to my new home.

Luke 03-22-2013 01:21 PM

I have planted cream peas, green beans, garlic, onions, okra, jalapenos, serrono, carbunell peppers, tomatoes, yellow crook neck squash, zuchinee squash, corn, and cucumbers. But i still have to plant my purple hull peas, watermellons, cantaloupes, and field corn.

Margies3 03-22-2013 04:34 PM

Seriously? It's still 35 degrees here during the day. We won't be planting anything soon.

When we do plant, I will probably just plant a few tomatoes, a couple of green pepper plants, a couple of cucumbers and maybe some jalapenos. Not much of a gardener here :)

MawMaw 03-22-2013 05:32 PM

A few tomatoe plants and some onions.
Will do some purple hull peas, and cucumbers
too. Anything else, we will buy at the local
farmer's markets.

Godzchild 03-22-2013 05:39 PM

Plant anything here???? LOL like Margie said....not anytime soon. Ground is rock hard and frozen....snow is still out in many places here and more on the way~ Happy planting to all who are able to do so~

Esther 03-23-2013 08:18 PM

An usual cold front is coming in this week. I hope it doesn't affect my garden.

Timmy 03-24-2013 10:17 AM

Barley, hops, blue agave, ... You know. Staples! :lol

RandyWayne 03-24-2013 10:17 PM

I'm attempting to see if our backyard and local climate will support one of these.

http://goodbadandugly2.files.wordpre...money_tree.jpg

KeptByTheWord 03-25-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyWayne (Post 1237452)
I'm attempting to see if our backyard and local climate will support one of these.

http://goodbadandugly2.files.wordpre...money_tree.jpg

:lol If it works for you let us know...

KeptByTheWord 03-25-2013 10:57 AM

No planting for me here yet. Although, I am wanting to do a "cold plant" garden, which includes broccoli, spinach, and kale. I am probably going to buy some seeds this week, and start them inside, and then plant outside perhaps sometime in April. I've decided unless my husband builds me a greenhouse, I am not even going to bother with warm-weather loving veggies like tomatoes, squash and peppers. Even in the summer, although the day temps get up to 90-100, at night, it cools down to the low 40s, sometimes 30s, and our first frost was Aug 30... so, I think this year I am going to concentrate on veggies that like cold weather...

Anyone else doing cold weather lovin veggies?

RandyWayne 04-04-2013 11:56 AM

We started two barrels with potatoes. The whites sprouted within 5 days and are now about 6 inches tall. The reds basically rotted -so I'm trying again with them.

Roagiesgal 04-04-2013 12:20 PM

We have 11 huge firs surrounding us so we will have to plant in containers that will sit in the drive way...1/2 barrels with big wheels so we can move them. I think we will do tomatoes for sure, I would like to do some lettuce, radishes, and a few other salad things...we can't plant for awhile yet our nights are still too cool!

I too want a green house...we have one sunny most of the time spot in the back that I think we can squeeze a small one. I want to be able to grow later in the season and start my own seeds, not have to buy plants.

We are going to check into the Aquaponics and hope that will work...but that is going to take some new thought process's...growing in water with a green house your suppose to be able to grow year round...we will see. And the fish fertilizer is nice!

I have heard growing potatoes in straw works really well...I want to do that too, I don't think they require all sun...some shade will be ok for them.

KeptByTheWord 04-04-2013 07:24 PM

I want to try the potato barrels. Saw the seed potatoes at Ace Hardware today. RW, can you tell me approximately how many seed potatoes you need for one barrel? They are selling them by the pound.

Roagiesgal 04-04-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1240567)
I want to try the potato barrels. Saw the seed potatoes at Ace Hardware today. RW, can you tell me approximately how many seed potatoes you need for one barrel? They are selling them by the pound.

This is what I have learned, pick your seed potatoes with good eyes, then cut them in half, third or quarter depending on how big they are(its good to have two or three eyes per piece)...dip the cut edge of the potato in ashes from your fireplace and plant them about a foot apart. They like soft soil sandy soil, with good drainage...

RandyWayne 04-04-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1240567)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roagiesgal (Post 1240592)
This is what I have learned, pick your seed potatoes with good eyes, then cut them in half, third or quarter depending on how big they are(its good to have two or three eyes per piece)...dip the cut edge of the potato in ashes from your fireplace and plant them about a foot apart. They like soft soil sandy soil, with good drainage...

We're still experimenting but have 5 plants per barrel. Normally that would be too close together but it is supposed to work with proper harvesting while keeping the plants intact to keep producing. Taking the potatoes as they develop also has the advantage of keeping the soil tilled.

KeptByTheWord 04-04-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roagiesgal (Post 1240592)

Thanks for the info! My husband and I just watched some videos online about these potato barrels. I had not heard about dipping them in ashes before. That sounds interesting. We don't have sandy soil here, so I guess I would need to be really careful about the compost I add to it.

Esther 04-04-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1240605)
Thanks for the info! My husband and I just watched some videos online about these potato barrels. I had not heard about dipping them in ashes before. That sounds interesting. We don't have sandy soil here, so I guess I would need to be really careful about the compost I add to it.

This is the first year I have tried potatoes, and my sister put lime on them, which is what the feedstore recommended. (not lime as in fruit)

Mine are in a potato bag you can buy from garden stores.

Titus2woman 04-07-2013 08:10 AM

Strawberries have been in for years... have been making fruit since Feb (very mild winter).

Pole beans
Yard long beans
Purple string beans
Yellow squash
Crook neck squash
Zucchini
Eggplant
Kohlrabi
Turnips
Potatoes
8 kinds of tomatoes
Corn

Sweet potato slips are just about ready
Okra will go in the ground soon

We had a really late frost and some stuff got damaged but we will pull it up and replant this week.

Roagiesgal 04-07-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1240605)

Year before last I also learned when the tops start to yellow stop watering...the loser the soil the better for bigger more even taters...

Roagiesgal 04-07-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titus2woman (Post 1241251)
Strawberries have been in for years... have been making fruit since Feb (very mild winter).

Pole beans
Yard long beans
Purple string beans
Yellow squash
Crook neck squash
Zucchini
Eggplant
Kohlrabi
Turnips
Potatoes
8 kinds of tomatoes
Corn

Sweet potato slips are just about ready
Okra will go in the ground soon

We had a really late frost and some stuff got damaged but we will pull it up and replant this week.

Sounds like you have a great garden!

RandyWayne 04-07-2013 02:45 PM

They look pretty lonely in this picture but these are our two barrels. You can see the plants in the first barrel doing pretty good after only a couple of weeks. They are much smaller in the other one.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps29db8912.jpg

bbyrd009 04-07-2013 02:53 PM

Ha spring won't be here until Wednesday...

Roagiesgal 04-07-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyWayne (Post 1241297)
They look pretty lonely in this picture but these are our two barrels. You can see the plants in the first barrel doing pretty good after only a couple of weeks. They are much smaller in the other one.

Nice that is what I want to do, but with big wheels on them so I can move them around...I love growing in containers, its easier for weed control, and harvest!

navygoat1998 04-07-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Nice Arizona grass :heeheehee

Roagiesgal 04-07-2013 06:07 PM

OH and I love the quail...

Titus2woman 04-08-2013 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1237549)
No planting for me here yet. Although, I am wanting to do a "cold plant" garden, which includes broccoli, spinach, and kale. I am probably going to buy some seeds this week, and start them inside, and then plant outside perhaps sometime in April. I've decided unless my husband builds me a greenhouse, I am not even going to bother with warm-weather loving veggies like tomatoes, squash and peppers. Even in the summer, although the day temps get up to 90-100, at night, it cools down to the low 40s, sometimes 30s, and our first frost was Aug 30... so, I think this year I am going to concentrate on veggies that like cold weather...

Anyone else doing cold weather lovin veggies?

These are the veggies that make up our 'fall garden'... planted in Sept., it makes all winter. I just pulled up the last of the lettuces and cut the last shoots of broccoli. Can't grow anything like that here in spring, it bolts.

RandyWayne 04-08-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navygoat1998 (Post 1241311)
Nice Arizona grass :heeheehee

We actually spend a great deal of time and money KILLING grass/weeds that like to pop up in all our gravel. LOL

We DO have a lawn though. In fact our irrigation guy is coming out tomorrow afternoon to fix some things with out valves.

RandyWayne 04-08-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roagiesgal (Post 1241312)
OH and I love the quail...

We used to have TONS of them wandering through out yards, that is until a number of new people moved into the neighborhood with cats. The bird populations have plummeted since. Most cat owners see nothing wrong with letting their furry beasts wonder through the whole neighborhood.

Roagiesgal 04-08-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyWayne (Post 1241415)
We used to have TONS of them wandering through out yards, that is until a number of new people moved into the neighborhood with cats. The bird populations have plummeted since. Most cat owners see nothing wrong with letting their furry beasts wonder through the whole neighborhood.

Too many cats can certainly cause a problem! We have one dog and one cat...and lots of birds, and squirrels. Our cat is old and has no teeth anymore so he doesn't catch much of anything. It sounds like your over run with them if they could kill off your quail population...

RandyWayne 04-08-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roagiesgal (Post 1241426)
Too many cats can certainly cause a problem! We have one dog and one cat...and lots of birds, and squirrels. Our cat is old and has no teeth anymore so he doesn't catch much of anything. It sounds like your over run with them if they could kill off your quail population...

If I didn't live in such a dense neighborhood my Ruger 22 would be getting quite the work out. :)

MawMaw 04-08-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyWayne (Post 1241415)

Seems like that strict type of community you live, would have
rules against the cats roaming around too. I'm sure they do
for dogs, right?

Titus2woman 04-08-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyWayne (Post 1241434)
If I didn't live in such a dense neighborhood my Ruger 22 would be getting quite the work out. :)

Supressor and frangable ammo.

RandyWayne 04-08-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titus2woman (Post 1241571)
Supressor and frangable ammo.

Exactly. The only thing making sound would be the cats squealing, and then everyone would just assume they are being "frisky" again, instead of being "dead". :)

KeptByTheWord 04-08-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

I feel warmer just looking at your pictures! It is a cold 38 degrees here today with a cold north wind blowing, even though the sun is shining! Thanks for sharing your picture of your potato barrels. I shared the concept with my husband, and he is considering. Where did you get your wooden barrels? I've also heard of people using four pallets wired together into a square. Thought about trying this. Also, what sort of compost did you use for the bottom soil?

KeptByTheWord 04-08-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roagiesgal (Post 1241268)
Year before last I also learned when the tops start to yellow stop watering...the loser the soil the better for bigger more even taters...

Thanks for that tip! How many potatoes did you end up getting out of your barrel?

Roagiesgal 04-08-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1241615)
Thanks for that tip! How many potatoes did you end up getting out of your barrel?

I used a raised bed...I want to try them in straw this year if we can get the sets soon...our nights are still pretty chilly...I think this next week if I can get my hubby motivated...

Potatoes we got enough for a few dinners...they were so yummy! This year more I hope!

MawMaw 04-09-2013 04:22 AM

A friend of ours told us another way he tried growing potatoes was in 3 or 4 old
tires. You lay one tire down fill with soil and seed potatoes, let them sprout up well,
then add another tire and more soil, careful not to cover the sprout tops, another tire, soil....

Found this illustration......

http://www.kiddiegardens.com/growing..._in_tires.html

and this one.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYoPOpAhwQ

Digging4Truth 06-07-2013 10:49 AM

I won't get to plant one this season. Maybe I will be able to plant a Summer-Fall garden. I've been in the hospital and recovering etc.

This year I have concentrated on increasing my annual food producers that do not require tilling each season etc.

So far I have...

(3) Fig trees (Planted last year)
(2) Cherry Trees
(2) Apple Trees
(1) Nectarine Tree
(1) Peach Tree

These are newer additions to my already established Pear Tree, Plum Tree & Native Persimmon Tree.