Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Soul Winners Haven (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Have any AFF'ers started a church from zero? (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=6525)

Darcie 07-30-2007 02:51 PM

Have any AFF'ers started a church from zero?

Just looking for some friendly advice and encouragement.

My husband and I started a Spanish church here in Wilmington, NC a year and a half ago.

It's been a little bit of a roller coaster ride. I was just wondering if anyone had some advice or experiences they may want to share.

Chewy 07-30-2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcie (Post 202251)

My husband and I started a Spanish church here in Wilmington, NC a year and a half ago.

It's been a little bit of a roller coaster ride. I was just wondering if anyone had some advice or experiences they may want to share.

Do you guys preach in spanish or do you have an interpreter?

Darcie 07-30-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy (Post 202262)
Do you guys preach in spanish or do you have an interpreter?

It's all done in Spanish. We come from an all speaking spanish congregation in NYC.

Nahum 07-30-2007 03:01 PM

Yes!

My favorite topic!

We started the church I pastor seven years ago this Wednesday, August 1st.
Just me, my wife, and our three kids.

Darcie 07-30-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Poster (Post 202265)
Yes!

My favorite topic!

We started the church I pastor seven years ago this Wednesday, August 1st.
Just me, my wife, and our three kids.

Tell me about your growing pains! That way I'll know if what we are going thru is normal!

Nahum 07-30-2007 03:08 PM

The most important thing to remember is that instant successes are few. Plan on the work growing steadily, over a period of years - not months.

Next, remember that great sacrifice brings great reward, but be careful what you sacrifice. Your kids need to know you value them. Don't lose them while doing a work for God.

Let's see.... don't worry about purchasing a building right away. People will pressure you big time. Don't rent or purchase any building until there is just no other option and the church can truly afford it.

When people ask you "how many you runnin'?", learn to be vague. Say something like "quite a few" or "the Lord has really blessed us with a great group". Don't fall prey to the numbers game because Sister, your numbers are gonna follow that roller coaster path.

Let God be God. Remember it's His church. Whatever you do, do it excellently. Don't start any program without counting the costs.

Use new converts. Use them everywhere.

Darcie 07-30-2007 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Poster (Post 202272)
The most important thing to remember is that instant successes are few. Plan on the work growing steadily, over a period of years - not months.

Next, remember that great sacrifice brings great reward, but be careful what you sacrifice. Your kids need to know you value them. Don't lose them while doing a work for God.

Let's see.... don't worry about purchasing a building right away. People will pressure you big time. Don't rent our purchase any building until there is just no other option and the church can truly afford it.

When people ask you "how many you runnin'?", learn to be vague. Say something like "quite a few" or "the Lord has really blessed us with a great group". Don't fall prey to the numbers game because Sister, your numbers are gonna follow that roller coaster path.

Let God be God. Remember it's His church. Whatever you do, do it excellently. Don't start any program without counting the costs.

Thank you for that! I'm going to have to save this post somewhere!

We've had a bunch come and go. But we do have a small solid group that we can truly count on. And we do use them, whenever and wherever we can for sure

BrotherEastman 07-30-2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

Let's see.... don't worry about purchasing a building right away. People will pressure you big time. Don't rent our purchase any building until there is just no other option and the church can truly afford it.

Being the son of home missions, thats excellent advice PP, I couldn't agree with you more.

Charlie Brown 07-30-2007 03:14 PM

The makings of an excellent thread.

Nahum 07-30-2007 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcie (Post 202267)
Tell me about your growing pains! That way I'll know if what we are going thru is normal!

We grew very slowly. We added five the first year. Five the next year.
A total of 15 after two years. Not your prototypical HM success story, huh?

We lived in the back of the church for six months because I was stupid and sacrificed my family's well-being to purchase a church building.

The building we bought was an old pool supply store. The walls were blue and green. We totally renovated it. It is completely paid for now, and we are about to build a new church.

In our third year we added a Kid's Church program. This is the engine of our church. Since then we have had over 1300 visitors come through our doors. From that we added a sports program for kids. We sponsored little league programs in our city. We give away free school supplies to hundreds of kids each fall.

We OWN the children's ministry market in our town.

BrotherEastman 07-30-2007 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcie (Post 202278)
Thank you for that! I'm going to have to save this post somewhere!

We've had a bunch come and go. But we do have a small solid group that we can truly count on. And we do use them, whenever and wherever we can for sure

I have had alot of experiences with my dad being a home missionary, sis I admire you and your husband. It gets hard, but God has a way of sending you encouragement exactly when you need it.

Ronzo 07-30-2007 03:15 PM

We started a church nearly three months ago. Started with zero.

We have very few people. One couple comes faithfully. Another couple comes sporatically.

It's only been three months though... so we're not 'expecting' a whole lot.

BrotherEastman 07-30-2007 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Poster (Post 202284)
We grew very slowly. We added five the first year. Five the next year.
A total of 15 after two years. Not your prototypical HM success story, huh?

We lived in the back of the church for six months because I was stupid and sacrificed my family's well-being to purchase a church building.

The building we bought was an old pool supply store. The walls were blue and green. We totally renovated it. It is completely paid for now, and we are about to build a new church.

In our third year we added a Kid's Church program. This is the engine of our church. Since then we have had over 1300 visitors come through our doors. From that we added a sports program for kids. We sponsored little league programs in our city. We give away free school supplies to hundreds of kids each fall.

We OWN the children's ministry market in our town.

I got some stories about the families well being. I'll refrain though 'cause it will come off as complaining. LOL!

Darcie 07-30-2007 03:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherEastman (Post 202289)
I got some stories about the families well being. I'll refrain though 'cause it will come off as complaining. LOL!

Well I grew up a PK, so at least I know that side of it!

Nahum 07-30-2007 03:19 PM

We grew by leaps and bounds in our fourth and fifth years. People getting the Holy Ghost all over the place. Baptisms galore. Started a choir.

Oh Darcie, BTW, we have never had our own musicians in seven years. The church has been built without live music. We use computer programs, tracks and occasional guests to fill in the gaps.

Darcie 07-30-2007 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Poster (Post 202294)
We grew by leaps and bounds in our fourth and fifth years. People getting the Holy Ghost all over the place. Baptisms galore. Started a choir.

Oh Darcie, BTW, we have never had our own musicians in seven years. The church has been built without live music. We use computer programs, tracks and occasional guests to fill in the gaps.

We started off with a BANG! and all of a sudden...

We use the midi off my keyboard and we have two of our ladies singing along with me! Still praying for a drummer.:praying

Nahum 07-30-2007 03:23 PM

We grew to an all time high of 70 in our sixth year. My three kids fell in love with ministry. My daughter is extremely talented and leads our music.

We had two Pentecostal families move in - the first move-ins in our history.

Our kids church was busting at the seams. It became the model for Pentecostals in our area. I, and the church I pastor, was the focus of numerous articles. We were a bona fide success story.

Darcie 07-30-2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Poster (Post 202303)
We grew to an all time high of 70 in our sixth year. My three kids fell in love with ministry. My daughter is extremely talented and leads our music.

We had two Pentecostal families move in - the first move-ins in our history.

Our kids church was busting at the seams. It became the model for Pentecostals in our area. I, and the church I pastor, was the focus of numerous articles. We were a bona fide success story.

Awesome! Can't wait to tell stories like that of our own

Nahum 07-30-2007 03:26 PM

Then the bottom fell out.

Under pressure from peers and leadership, I came down hard on a new "platform standard". It is one of the great regrets of my life. I have begged God to forgive me since.

But the damage was done. When the dust settled, I had lost over half of those precious souls. It haunts me daily.

Darcie 07-30-2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Poster (Post 202309)
Then the bottom fell out.

Under pressure from peers and leadership, I came down hard on a new "platform standard". It is one of the great regrets of my life. I have begged God to forgive me since.

But the damage was done. When the dust settled, I had lost over half of those precious souls. It haunts me daily.

Ugh!:faint

Nahum 07-30-2007 03:31 PM

For the past year we have been in full recovery mode. I now pastor with a new understanding. The church is growing again. Finances are better than ever.

It has been tough. Very tough.

It has also been extremely rewarding. Looking back, there are some things I would definitely do differently, but I am glad I obeyed the call of God.

There is a church in our city. A Oneness Pentecostal church.

The church is planted.

God overlooked my stupidity, had mercy on me, and blessed the work.

Darcie 07-30-2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Poster (Post 202315)
For the past year we have been in full recovery mode. I now pastor with a new understanding. The church is growing again. Finances are better than ever.

It has been tough. Very tough.

It has also been extremely rewarding. Looking back, there are some things I would definitely do differently, but I am glad I obeyed the call of God.

There is a church in our city. A Oneness Pentecostal church.

The church is planted.

God overlooked my stupidity, had mercy on me, and blessed the work.

PP I would love to get my husband in touch with you! He's really in need of a "mentor" (I know that word is floating around alot). But really he does! There's so much more involved. Ask my brother Dan, he knows all about it

Nahum 07-30-2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcie (Post 202318)
PP I would love to get my husband in touch with you! He's really in need of a "mentor" (I know that word is floating around alot). But really he does! There's so much more involved. Ask my brother Dan, he knows all about it

Daniel has my number. Call anytime.

Darcie 07-30-2007 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Poster (Post 202322)
Daniel has my number. Call anytime.

He'll be here Wednesday! Maybe we can call when he's here. We're excited about having him, we already told the church he'd be preaching!

Nahum 07-30-2007 03:46 PM

Darcie, don't let your highest heigths or deepest valleys define the work.

Stay steady. Be consistent. No matter how much bad news you have heard during the week, plaster a smile on your face when you are around the saints.

I am not telling you to be a hypocrite, I am telling you to be thankful in all things. Don't punish the faithful for the deeds of the unfaithful. Give them your best every service.

Darcie 07-30-2007 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Poster (Post 202325)

Stay steady. Be consistent. No matter how much bad news you have heard during the week, plaster a smile on your face when you are around the saints.

I am not telling you to be a hypocrite, I am telling you to be thankful in all things. Don't punish the faithful for the deeds of the unfaithful. Give them your best every service.

I hear ya on that one! Yesterday we had the lowest number in months, but still by husband preached his heart out! As if there were hundreds up in there!

Ferd 07-30-2007 03:50 PM

what a cool thread.

Ferd 07-30-2007 03:50 PM

Darcie, is your work connected to the UPCI church in Wilmington that got a new pastor about a year ago?

Sweet Pea 07-30-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Poster (Post 202325)

That will preach!

Great posts, PP!!!! :thumbsup

Darcie 07-30-2007 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferd (Post 202335)
Darcie, is your work connected to the UPCI church in Wilmington that got a new pastor about a year ago?

Yes! We are their Spanish daughter work.

Ferd 07-30-2007 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcie (Post 202339)
Yes! We are their Spanish daughter work.

Small world. the guy that left there came here.

Darcie 07-30-2007 03:54 PM

We were brought here by one pastor, he left resigned about 2 months after we got here and then a new pastor was voted in a little after that!

Talk about a little added stress.

Darcie 07-30-2007 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferd (Post 202344)
Small world. the guy that left there came here.

REALLY!!!!!! How's that going?

Nahum 07-30-2007 03:55 PM

Be careful who you give your ear to. The temptation to give in to ego will be great. Pay special attention to those men and women of God who have personally planted churches.

I highly recommend Tommy and Judy Hudson's book, "Miracle Through the Fire". Another good one is "A Church Planter's Dream" by David Norris. "Pioneer Pentecostals" from PPH will have you in tears, but is very, very inspiring.

Close your ears to every person who would cast doubt and negativity on the work. Learn to be a survivalist.

Sam 07-30-2007 03:55 PM

What an inspirational thread!!

This sure beats our (I include myself here) usual squabbling and put downs.

Trouvere 07-30-2007 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcie (Post 202251)

Yes and it was a roller coaster ride for sure.Just hang in there and keep doing right.God will bless you.

Ferd 07-30-2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcie (Post 202347)
REALLY!!!!!! How's that going?

Awesome. he is from here. This is his home church. Great guy.

Darcie 07-30-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferd (Post 202354)
Awesome. he is from here. This is his home church. Great guy.

And boy can he PREACH!!!!

Nahum 07-30-2007 03:59 PM

Darcie, I will step away for a while and leave you with this thought. It is from my District Superintendent, whom I consider one of the greatest men of God to ever walk on this planet.

"The true heart of a pastor is shown by how he treats those who can offer him nothing."

Darcie 07-30-2007 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Poster (Post 202356)
Darcie, I will step away for a while and leave you with this thought. It is from my District Superintendent, whom I consider one of the greatest men of God to ever walk on this planet.

"The true heart of a pastor is shown by how he treats those who can offer him nothing."

PP I'm so glad I got to chat with you today! You have totally lifted my spirit!

I'm actually going to print out this thread and hand it over to my husband

THANK YOU!