Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Prepper's Patch (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Food with the longest shelf life? (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=42840)

Roagiesgal 08-10-2013 09:13 AM

Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyWayne (Post 1268439)
Living in the desert, water is my #1 concern. It is easy enough to store water for an extended period if all your doing is drinking it, but when you factor any sort of hygiene, washing cloths regardless of how efficient you do it, and even enough to water a small garden, suddenly the amount you needs increases 10-100 fold.

Have you considered getting an IBC, you can get them on Craigs list for a pretty reasonable price, I know you get some rain and you can collect it! 275 gals. would keep you for awhile, and if you stock up on bottled water you can use the rain water for everything else.

A good price on bottled water can be had at the dollar store. They are one gal. containers and store easily. Here we have a store also called BiMart and we can get gal containers for a buck each...not too bad on the wallet!

RandyWayne 08-10-2013 09:50 AM

We've been looking at a gutter system and rain barrels for a while. For actually collecting it I want to get a big 2500 gallon container that they have for sale at our local nursery. They're designed to sit in the back of a large pick up where they are used for irrigation. I really don't want to mess with 50-75 gallon barrels.

I've also been stocking up on these 6 gallon containers designed for taking water on camping trips. Walmart has them for about 10 bucks.

Roagiesgal 08-11-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyWayne (Post 1269005)
We've been looking at a gutter system and rain barrels for a while. For actually collecting it I want to get a big 2500 gallon container that they have for sale at our local nursery. They're designed to sit in the back of a large pick up where they are used for irrigation. I really don't want to mess with 50-75 gallon barrels.

I've also been stocking up on these 6 gallon containers designed for taking water on camping trips. Walmart has them for about 10 bucks.

Sounds like you have a plan...2500gal would be a good amount to have on hand...here in our state we have to be careful because it is illegal to store rain water, even though you can buy rain barrels...I guess its ok to sell them, just not to use them...I really am not sure on all the laws of it.

Rudy 11-04-2013 11:28 PM

If it hasn't been mentioned, Ramen noodles. I get the ones in a cup, just add water. Wal-mart. Started stocking today.

renee819 11-05-2013 03:47 AM

Speaking of washing machines. My son came up with a good idea. (I haven't tried it) But a 5 gal bucket and a commode plunger. Seems it might work in a pinch.

Rudy 11-05-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renee819 (Post 1285458)
Speaking of washing machines. My son came up with a good idea. (I haven't tried it) But a 5 gal bucket and a commode plunger. Seems it might work in a pinch.

I'll keep that in mind.

JRK 11-08-2013 07:41 AM

Buy what you eat & eat what you buy. This really isn't a new concept. My grandparents & parents always stocked up on sale items to save money & had livestock & big gardens. A few years back, our area got hit hard with a flood. Roads washed out, grocery stores flooded & closed for months. We had been talking about livestock, & that sealed the deal for us. If we have bad weather, not a big deal. It's been so long since we've bought milk, eggs, & meat that I have no clue what prices are in the store. Living this lifestyle not only gives us peace of mind, but it saves us alot of money too.

KeptByTheWord 01-27-2014 10:02 AM

Saw this on pinterest... and had to share it. This lady has an amazing food storage. She has a family of 7, and is Mormon, and the Mormon church does teach preparedness. She basically has a grocery store in her basement!!!

http://dealstomeals.blogspot.com/200...ch-vision.html

shazeep 01-27-2014 10:11 AM

Ramen; yikes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQlNv2Au-Lg
Quote:

Originally Posted by renee819 (Post 1285458)

They work great! No plunger needed, especially if you have the lid, many plans for agitating on youtube.

KeptByTheWord 01-27-2014 10:19 AM

eww... I don't buy ramen anymore. I try not to buy ANY processed foods if possible. The chemical content is just scary. Thanks for sharing the video.