Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   The Welcome Mat (http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Back with some new perspective (http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=45301)

Roxanne Murphy 12-07-2013 11:10 PM

Back with some new perspective

Greetings to AFF! It has been about 6 years since I last participated in the discussions on this forum (although I peek out here on occasion). Much has changed in my life since I was last here. God has graciously blessed my husband and I with two beautiful kids: Jaxon our 4 year old son and Acacia our 2 year old princess. We are no longer part of the UPC (or any other traditional holiness pentecostal group) and boy was that transition an eye opening experience. I have noticed some interesting discussions our here recently and just want to chime in, shake things up a little maybe. Let the fun begin! :thumbsup

Praxeas 12-08-2013 01:48 AM

Re: Back with some new perspective

Wow...lol. Welcome back

FlamingZword 12-08-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxanne Murphy (Post 1291576)
Greetings to AFF! It has been about 6 years since I last participated in the discussions on this forum (although I peek out here on occasion). Much has changed in my life since I was last here. God has graciously blessed my husband and I with two beautiful kids: Jaxon our 4 year old son and Acacia our 2 year old princess. We are no longer part of the UPC (or any other traditional holiness pentecostal group) and boy was that transition an eye opening experience. I have noticed some interesting discussions our here recently and just want to chime in, shake things up a little maybe. Let the fun begin! :thumbsup

That is OK, you do not have to be a part of an organization to be a part of the kingdom of God.

Praxeas 12-08-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamingZword (Post 1291596)
That is OK, you do not have to be a part of an organization to be a part of the kingdom of God.

Does God have an organization?

KeptByTheWord 12-08-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxanne Murphy (Post 1291576)

Hey there, and welcome back!!!

ILG 12-09-2013 07:46 AM

Hey, Roxanne!

I remember you well!! Welcome back and congratulations on your new journey! I am very excited for you! :thumbsup Can you share what brought you to where you are now?? Can you share where you are now as well?

An Old Friend,

ILG

KeptByTheWord 12-09-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILG (Post 1291679)
Hey, Roxanne!

I remember you well!! Welcome back and congratulations on your new journey! I am very excited for you! :thumbsup Can you share what brought you to where you are now?? Can you share where you are now as well?

An Old Friend,

ILG

Yes, please do... I second the motion!

seguidordejesus 12-10-2013 12:35 AM

Indeed - Dear Roxanne was quite the fireball six years ago. Do tell :)

Roxanne Murphy 12-10-2013 06:07 PM

This journey of change began about 2 years ago. My dear husband had completed his MBA and had started a course for our church to help folks live more on purpose to thus better reach a lost and dying world with the gospel. He and our pastor felt that one of the key issues that God was dealing with our church was about transparency. At the same time, our church was growing and our pastor and his wife had started a midweek Bible study in their home that soon grew into a daughter work.
My pastor, his wife, my husband, myself, our youth pastor and his wife were all finding ourselves asking: how do we truly and effectively communicate the gospel to our area? How do we reach people? Evangelizing ourselves is not fulfilling the Great Commission!
Then, people from the daughter work who came to visit our main Sunday services began to ask our pastor: why do the ladies in your church only wear dressed? Why do they not wear jewelry or use make up? Why do they not cut their hair? So my pastor set out to prepare good, sound, scriptural reasons to explain why our ladies looked as they did. He realized that he would be presenting these teachings to honest, well educated people who were seeing the Word of God through eyes and hearts not previously influenced by the 'holiness' culture that our church had, compliments of the denomination to which we belonged. He soon realized that he could not honestly make the scriptures say that these things were sinful.
Now, at the same time, my dear husband was taking another look at these very same things and very exuberantly discussing them with me. I was not interested, in fact was afraid of what I was hearing, and actually one day told him, "I don't wish to discuss this please stop!" I was very distressed and found myself asking God to please restore my husband's sanity. But as I continued to pray about these things, God began to take me for a spiritual stroll through the gospels and pointed out how the Pharisees were so entrenched in their traditions that they missed what God was doing, in fact, fought against Him! This was a painful realization for me because I had been quite a zealous holiness Pharisee; this was all that I knew and I had become accustomed to judging everything by those man made 'holiness standards' that I had been taught from my childhood. (To be continued)

ILG 12-10-2013 07:25 PM

Yay, Roxanne!! Eagerly awaiting the next installment. ;)