Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The New Normal - A Child Out of Wedlock (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=38592)

CC1 02-18-2012 07:47 AM

The New Normal - A Child Out of Wedlock

"Marriage has become a luxury good" socialologist says. Below is a link to a New York Times article about how the new normal is for children to be born out of wedlock.

I think it is clear that the breakdown of traditional societal norms has been accelerating at an incredible rate the last 20 years. This is just one more confirmation.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46438194.../#.Tz-5ZPFQ6Ag

trialedbyfire 02-18-2012 07:55 AM

Re: The New Normal - A Child Out of Wedlock

It's absolutely frightening. To say the least. What type of future are we presenting to this generation of children born with no respect for the institution of marriage and no real concept of what it truly is? This is why public opinion of "gay marriage" is leaning a certain way, becuase this generation has no regard for the institution of marriage... and why would they?

Truthseeker 02-18-2012 08:24 AM

And a lot times we got to pick up the tab.

bbyrd009 02-18-2012 08:45 AM

Hard to see sometimes that wheat is growing also, in the tares. We can't pull tares--well, you can try--we are called to grow wheat.

Truthseeker 02-18-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbyrd009 (Post 1138910)
Hard to see sometimes that wheat is growing also, in the tares. We can't pull tares--well, you can try--we are called to grow wheat.

I'm not getting what your getting at????

Titus2woman 02-18-2012 09:54 AM

I think that he getting at that rather than try to conform the world to our way of thinking and doing it by force we should be growing the kingdom (sorry byrd if I missed).

There are godly people out there doing the right thing... they may seem few but they have the potential to multiply.

We often try to legislate behavior, in example: refusing same sex marriage to gay couples or insisting that people get married if they are going to have children... But what we are missing is that without the spirit there is no reason they SHOULD be wanting to do the right thing. Our job is not to conform the lost to our way of thinking/acting/being but to help them know the God that will change their hearts/minds/lives.

The only way we will see a world that looks like the Kingdom is to expand the Kingdom, one soul at a time :)

Aquila 02-18-2012 10:04 AM

The church has failed to really impact society. It's become a business. We need a Revival. No,...a Reformation. My prayer is for this prophecy to come true in our lifetimes,
"The earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea." Habakkuk 2:14 (NKJV)

Titus2woman 02-18-2012 10:06 AM

:)

MissBrattified 02-18-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titus2woman (Post 1138930)
I think that he getting at that rather than try to conform the world to our way of thinking and doing it by force we should be growing the kingdom (sorry byrd if I missed).

There are godly people out there doing the right thing... they may seem few but they have the potential to multiply.

We often try to legislate behavior, in example: refusing same sex marriage to gay couples or insisting that people get married if they are going to have children... But what we are missing is that without the spirit there is no reason they SHOULD be wanting to do the right thing. Our job is not to conform the lost to our way of thinking/acting/being but to help them know the God that will change their hearts/minds/lives.

The only way we will see a world that looks like the Kingdom is to expand the Kingdom, one soul at a time :)

:thumbsup

That's why I'm not a big fan of Christians being political activists. While I do believe that we should do our best to protect society as a whole from impinging evils, legislating righteousness will not actually bring about righteousness, and often has the opposite effect. People who try to impose righteousness upon themselves without the spirit of God are fighting a losing battle with their own humanity.

Far too often, the Christian who involves himself deeply in politics becomes Peter with a maiming sword rather than a positive, persuasive voice in a dark world.

Aquila 02-18-2012 10:26 AM

Behold the glory of the LORD,
Psalm 22:27-28 ESV
All the ends of the earth shall remember
and turn to the Lord,
and all the families of the nations
shall worship before you.
For kingship belongs to the Lord,
and he rules over the nations.
Sometimes our vision and eschatology is so bleak and negative, it leaves us hopeless for such a revival.