Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Who is growing faster: AoG, or UPCi? (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=24098)

Justin 05-04-2009 06:42 PM

Who is growing faster: AoG, or UPCi?

Have there been any studies done on Pentecostal growth in regards to membership?

CC1 05-04-2009 07:00 PM

Re: Who is growing faster: AoG, or UPCi?

I am not UPC or AOG but have been growing quite fast. I think I went from 185 to 195 in one year.

From the looks of the UPC folks I see at Wal Mart and restaurants they appear to be growing quite a bit also, particularly the women. It is hard to tell who the AOG people are, particularly the women since they don't have the blue jean skirt with no slit and tennis shoes uniform. They may not be growing as much as the UPC.

I hope these observations help.

Praxeas 05-04-2009 07:07 PM

Growth in terms of what? People switching churches or affiliations or new converts to the Lord from just being a sinner or from false religion like Mormonism etc ?

nahkoe 05-04-2009 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC1 (Post 745669)
I am not UPC or AOG but have been growing quite fast. I think I went from 185 to 195 in one year.

From the looks of the UPC folks I see at Wal Mart and restaurants they appear to be growing quite a bit also, particularly the women. It is hard to tell who the AOG people are, particularly the women since they don't have the blue jean skirt with no slit and tennis shoes uniform. They may not be growing as much as the UPC.

I hope these observations help.

:spit

Justin 05-04-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Praxeas (Post 745670)
Growth in terms of what? People switching churches or affiliations or new converts to the Lord from just being a sinner or from false religion like Mormonism etc ?

Nah, just membership.

I wonder with the surge in popularity with Sarah Palin and her connection to Pentecostalism if there has been a move towards the denomination, further more, which one; AoG or UPCi?

I'm just curious and I wonder if there has been any recent stat's released... Such as "UPCi claim 52 million members worldwide" "AoG claim 60 million members worldwide"

Praxeas 05-04-2009 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 745675)
Nah, just membership.

I wonder with the surge in popularity with Sarah Palin and her connection to Pentecostalism if there has been a move towards the denomination, further more, which one; AoG or UPCi?

I'm just curious and I wonder if there has been any recent stat's released... Such as "UPCi claim 52 million members worldwide" "AoG claim 60 million members worldwide"

I don't think that is an important issue. I feel that way about mega churches who get a lot of their membership from smaller and less "cool" churches, not first time converts to Christ

Hoovie 05-04-2009 07:55 PM

UPC "Total worldwide membership, including North America, is listed at 4,036,945."

AoG ..."approximately 57 to 60 million adherents worldwide."

Wikipedia

Hoovie 05-04-2009 07:57 PM

I would be surprised if Palin made any measurable difference at all.

Timmy 05-04-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover (Post 745691)
I would be surprised if Palin made any measurable difference at all.

Maybe some joined while others bolted! ;)

Sam 05-04-2009 08:57 PM

How much can you believe from those figures?

You've heard the old adage, "Figures can't lie but liars can figure."
What do they count for members?
All those who "attend" on Easter?
Those who hold a membership card and tithe regularly?