Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pastor Terry Crist (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=7022)

Jack Shephard 08-15-2007 05:52 PM

Pastor Terry Crist

Has anyone heard of this man or his family? Pastor or Dr. Terry is a pastor out here in Phoenix area and he is a 5th generation pastor. His wife went to JCM and he talks like he is penetcostalish. He has preached on Acts 2:38. He is similar in preaching style to Kevin Gerald or Ed Young Jr.

He is awesome. He accually was asked to take over a charasmatic church out here as well. So they will combine the two churches as the next year goes. The church is Word of Grace with 4000-5000 members. I am not sure if he was UPC or not, but he is a Jesus name guy. You can look at his site www.citichurch.com. I know that Kevin and Sheila Gerald did something like this when they took over a larger church and transitioned to one large church.

What do you all think about this kinda stuff? I agree with it and believe it gives a great opportunity. What say ye?

CC1 08-15-2007 06:00 PM

Interesting. They have been married 23 years so she probably went to JCM a few years after I did. I don't recognize her maybe somebody else wil.

Their belief section of the website talks about a "triune" God but does not use the word "trinity".

They also speak of water baptism being a sacrament.

All of that is very similar to many exUPC PCI type churches belief statements so it is possible his beliefs are similar.

I did not see any mention of how he baptizes. I found it curious that the "about the pastors" section did not identify the denomination or denominations of the previous four generations of pastors in his family.

So he could be AOG, COG, Charismatic, or GIB!!

Jack Shephard 08-15-2007 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC1 (Post 216999)
Interesting. They have been married 23 years so she probably went to JCM a few years after I did. I don't recognize her maybe somebody else wil.

Their belief section of the website talks about a "triune" God but does not use the word "trinity".

They also speak of water baptism being a sacrament.

All of that is very similar to many exUPC PCI type churches belief statements so it is possible his beliefs are similar.

I did not see any mention of how he baptizes. I found it curious that the "about the pastors" section did not identify the denomination or denominations of the previous four generations of pastors in his family.

So he could be AOG, COG, Charismatic, or GIB!!

You are right. I know that Kurt Warner the AZ Cardinals back up QB goes there. I know at one time Kurt and his wife went to Roy Gerald church is St Louis which is pastored now by Shawn Craig from Phillips, Craig and Dean. That church was UPC. In one of his sermons he mentions Kevin and Sheila. So I know they are friends and of course Sheila Gerald is Steve Munsey's sister and Steve wife, pictured in my avatar is Kevin's sister.

stmatthew 08-15-2007 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTULLOCK (Post 217026)
You are right. I know that Kurt Warner the AZ Cardinals back up QB goes there. I know at one time Kurt and his wife went to Roy Gerald church is St Louis which is pastored now by Shawn Craig from Phillips, Craig and Dean. That church was UPC. In one of his sermons he mentions Kevin and Sheila. So I know they are friends and of course Sheila Gerald is Steve Munsey's sister and Steve wife, pictured in my avatar is Kevin's sister.

Kurt Warner also was close to Joyce Myers during the time I lived in St Louis, and attended many of her functions.

Steve Epley 08-15-2007 07:43 PM

These folks are NOT Oneness read their statement of beliefs.

Sandra 08-15-2007 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTULLOCK (Post 216992)
Has anyone heard of this man or his family? Pastor or Dr. Terry is a pastor out here in Phoenix area and he is a 5th generation pastor. His wife went to JCM and he talks like he is penetcostalish. He has preached on Acts 2:38. He is similar in preaching style to Kevin Gerald or Ed Young Jr.

He is awesome. He accually was asked to take over a charasmatic church out here as well. So they will combine the two churches as the next year goes. The church is Word of Grace with 4000-5000 members. I am not sure if he was UPC or not, but he is a Jesus name guy. You can look at his site www.citichurch.com. I know that Kevin and Sheila Gerald did something like this when they took over a larger church and transitioned to one large church.

What do you all think about this kinda stuff? I agree with it and believe it gives a great opportunity. What say ye?

Tyhuff and myself grew up with him. His parents were very close to my parents.

Jack Shephard 08-15-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Epley (Post 217110)
These folks are NOT Oneness read their statement of beliefs.

EE, what part of that says they are not oneness? I have heard him reach about the HG and state that they baptize in Jesus name.

I have not been there personally, but I know some one that goes there. She loves it. I can not speak for him, but the church that he is taking over seems to be a trinitarian church at least that is what I have been taught by my former pastor. Though after careful review it seems as if they are Jesus name baptizers.

Jack Shephard 08-15-2007 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandra (Post 217257)
Tyhuff and myself grew up with him. His parents were very close to my parents.

I have recently got to know about him. He seems very nice and is a good Bible teacher. Is he from the Illinois area? Would you say that he classifies as oneness? I would.

Sherri 08-15-2007 10:24 PM

Anyone know Judith's maiden name?

Sandra 08-15-2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTULLOCK (Post 217261)
I have recently got to know about him. He seems very nice and is a good Bible teacher. Is he from the Illinois area? Would you say that he classifies as oneness? I would.

His family was from Illinois. They all moved to South Dakota with my parents in 1969. His Parents now live around Alex. La. They did help on the campground with the cooking. Great people! I've been out to Terry's Church when he first started there. He is like a brother to us.