Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Why don't we see healings? (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=38968)

houston 03-16-2012 06:45 AM

Why don't we see healings?

Last night I received a text message from a young minister friend. He asked "Why don't we see healings?" I was getting ready for work and replied that I'd have an answer for him today. I thought about it through my shift, and honestly, I don't know what to say to him.

Your thoughts??

Amanah 03-16-2012 07:01 AM

Re: Why don't we see healings?

I have seen healing, I've prayed for my child, just us, in his bedroom when we found a growth on his shoulder, a red growth protruding from his skin. We prayed and believed God and in the morning it was gone.

I have heard other tell that God has healed them from cancer and other sicknesses, I have no reason to doubt the people who say they have been healed.

I also know people who have prayed for healing and have died, I have no answer for why this is so.

Bro. Robbins 03-16-2012 07:12 AM

I sort of have two responses, not necessarily answers... I still see healings, not to the degree we did growing up, but still do. Just saw a 5 year old that had coke bottle thick glasses, developmental issues, and braces on her legs healed in a sunday night service at our church a month ago. She no longer even looks like she has Downs or sometime of disfunction in her face anymore. She walks just fine, able to talk like any 5 year old should, and doesn't wear the glasses anymore. She's as healthy as can be.

From all of my missionary friends, it would seem that abroad there are just as many miracles and healings going on as ever. Maybe the difference in the US has to do with our lack of true hunger for the Lord. We've lost our desperation... He's usually our last or next to last alternative for healing... not our only. The difference in the modern day church in lack of power, miracles, signs, wonders, converts, true religion that is undefiled, etc... all has to do with us, and how we've changed.....

Hoovie 03-16-2012 07:53 AM

I have never "seen" a healing in the context of most of the miraculous healing in scripture.

I have heard hundreds or maybe thousands claims that God did XYZ, and I do not automatically discount them... I believe he have done many things for me too, but none of those things I have witnessed would necessarily cause a skeptic or an unbeliever to believe...

I have heard a lot of reports, but have never "seen" anyone instantaneously being raised from a deathbed or dead, the severely crippled or deformed being made whole physically etc. My experience has been these who are disabled/deformed/dying/dead, are usually not the focus of any "healing service".

As to why? I know there are varied reasons... but I have known many faith-filled saints of God with terminal illnesses who believed God would heal them to the very end, yet went on to be with the Lord.

I would have to answer that primarily it was the will of God NOT to heal them physically, in the here and now.

RandyWayne 03-16-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoovie (Post 1148501)
I have never "seen" a healing in the context of most of the miraculous healing in scripture.

I have heard hundreds or maybe thousands claims that God did XYZ, and I do not automatically discount them... but none of those things I have witnessed would necessarily cause a skeptic or an unbeliever to believe...

I have heard a lot of reports, but have never "seen" anyone instantaneously being raised from a deathbed or dead, the severely crippled or deformed being made whole physically etc. My experience has been these who are disabled/deformed/dying/dead, are usually not the focus of any "healing service".

As to why? I know there are varied reasons... but I have known many faith-filled saints of God with terminal illnesses who believed God would heal them to the very end, yet went on to be with the Lord.

I would have to answer that primarily it was the will of God NOT to heal them physically, in the here and now.

Yes, I have heard of many many healings. Most of the ones I have "seen" are of the "the pain in my back/knee/hip is gone!" variety. I would LOVE to see one where an actual physical deformity was healed on the spot. How about a missing limb regrown whilst the crowd watches (would even accept THIS one if it happened over night and not on the spot -kind of hard to fake a missing limb. LOL)?

Timmy 03-16-2012 08:23 AM

Maybe we really are expected to believe without seeing. John 20:29. The disciples didn't have to, but we do. Figures.

Bro. Robbins 03-16-2012 08:26 AM

I really appreciate Hoovie's response. The provincial hand of God for sure determines the outcome, whether the healing is here or on the other side.

I mentioned the 5 year old that we saw instantaneously healed in church on Sunday night a few weeks ago. She was unable to walk without braces or see without her coke bottle glasses. She looked, and operated as a child with Down's would. Never spoke before.

That very night, she was able to run around the church with no braces... can see without glasses. In two weeks, full sentences like a 5 year old should speak. Doctors are saying no sign now of developmental issues whatsoever... even the eyes and the drooping on her face normalized.... It was a miracle.

But I have a coworker whose infant son needs a heart transplant or a new heart from the Lord in a couple of weeks or he'll die... but no answer of healing there.

I don't know why, but I do know that God has a view of the overall plan that I don't see.

Nitehawk013 03-16-2012 08:37 AM

If I knew the answer and solution to this, I would have more money than every TV evangelist put together. LOL.

UNfortunately, I don't. :(

Timmy 03-16-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitehawk013 (Post 1148515)
If I knew the answer and solution to this, I would have more money than every TV evangelist put together. LOL.

UNfortunately, I don't. :(

I have an answer (which not many here would accept) but it won't make me rich. Just content.

Aquila 03-16-2012 09:01 AM

I have a theory. It is actually four elements combined.

First, if one charts the miracles of the Bible we see seasons where miracles seem to taper off and become very few. Then a prophet arises with a message from God. Suddenly, within his wake are many great miracles. So I think miracles are often what follows when an anointed man of God truly has a Word from God. God confirms His power and message through miracles and great signs and wonders. Perhaps we’re in a dry place. Perhaps our movement is too institutionalized and cold. Too self-righteous and legalistic. We need a man of God with a fresh anointing to bring us a Word from the Lord, then we might see more healings and miracles.

Second, faith is a factor. Because we’ve not seen many miracles and because our society is so negative and unbelieving concerning all things miraculous, we doubt it first and demand it be proven. I mean, we’ve been duped by phonies quite a bit throughout the years. So, we believe it only after we’ve seen it. But when it comes to the spiritual… you’ve got to believe it in order to see it. There is a fundamental disconnect with our inner logic and worldview. So technically we’ve increasingly become a faithless and unbelieving generation.

Thirdly, our self-righteous legalism lends itself to hypocrisy. We are to confess our sins to one another… that we might be healed. When we are transparent regarding all we are and all we’re not… God flows freely. But if we walk around with our collars white, ties straight, every hair in place, pretending to be “holy” when in truth we are just as human and error prone as the man beside us… we are presenting a lie. God doesn’t move in that situation. God will not appear to confirm or condone such hypocrisy. So it becomes a barrier. That’s why we often hear of miracles taking place in revivals where everyone is on their face weeping acknowledging their sins publically. Because in that moment, the believers, as flawed as they might be, are being REAL and are calling out to the one who can forgive them. So our legalism and hypocrisy also hinders healing.

Fourthly, we forget that we are branches. Jesus said that He is the vine and we are the branches… without Him we can do nothing. All too often we pray believing that a miracle will fall down out of Heaven for ourselves or someone. Or we pray for a miracle or healing, and deep down inside… we hope it happens so everyone can see us and know that we are powerful in the Spirit. We fail to see that first… the miracle doesn’t fall down out of Heaven… it flows through us and out of us from the vine. We forget that we too are one Spirit with the Lord and Jesus was. We are one with the Father also. We are extensions of Christ. We have all the power and authority flowing through us that Christ had. And Jesus said we’d do even greater things than He did because of this oneness with God He purchased for us on Calvary. We are paupers begging for a miracle to “come down”. We are vessels and conduits of God’s love and power. We have no idea the authority we have. I know many will get on me for saying this…. But we have the power to look at a person and speak forgiveness into their lives just as Jesus did. We forget that we are not all members of a corporate unity. We are not many spirits inspired by a greater Spirit. We are one Spirit with the Lord. Our human spirits are now in union with God through the Holy Spirit by the authority and work of Jesus. Essentially, we have been absorbed into a collective organism known as the Church. We are an organism with Christ as head… not an organization with Christ as leader. You are me and I am you. We are God and God is us. Not in the sense that we are deities deserving worship. But in the sense that we are branches of the Lord who is the vine. I cannot look at a branch in my backyard and say that it is just a branch and not the tree. Nor can I look at the tree and say it is a tree and not the branch. The branches are branches OF the tree. And the tree is the trunk from which the branches grow. We forget our oneness with God. Therefore, we best not touch the glory. We must acknowledge that God is flowing in us and through us, giving Him the glory alone.

Eh… I’ve pontificated enough. That’s my theory. Many might really struggle with some of the things I’ve said and get the wrong idea. I’ll clarify if necessary.

God bless.