Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Only Hebrew Old Testament Preserved by God? (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=53615)

mfblume 10-25-2019 02:51 PM

Only Hebrew Old Testament Preserved by God?

We have those who claim to be apostolic and yet do not believe the New Testament was preserved by God in this world.

That means, everything Jesus and the apostles taught is anybody's guess, if they even existed and preached.

Of course, I deny there is no divinely preserved NT. But this is the conclusion people must come to if they do not believe God preserved one!

James LeDeay, how do you know anything Jesus and the apostles explained is even true if it's not in the Hebrew Old Testament, and only the New, with the idea that there is no divinely preserved New Testament?

Scott Pitta 10-25-2019 03:49 PM

Re: Only Hebrew Old Testament Preserved by God?

I believe in the inspiration of both testaments.

I see no connection between inspiration and the transmission of the text itself.

mfblume 10-25-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Pitta (Post 1574534)

I see no connection between inspiration and the transmission of the text itself.

The preservation is the important point.

mfblume 10-25-2019 04:26 PM

Without the preservation of the new testament by God's own hand, we can have no trust in a new testament. We can't know what is true or not. It's too iffy.

The old covenant saints could not be completed without what God did with the new covenant. The new is vital.

If God inspired both records, why would he take it upon himself to preserve the old alone and not the new? Inspiration demands preservation.

Evang.Benincasa 10-25-2019 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Pitta (Post 1574534)

Good to see you back. Before we get into this, you think you might answer the below? I never got an answer. Thank you for your time in proving your accusation. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Pitta (Post 1573081)
Trump should have been impeached a long time ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa (Post 1573098)
Can you please give us a documented outline on the evidence for impeachment?

Evang.Benincasa 10-25-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfblume (Post 1574536)
Without the preservation of the new testament by God's own hand, we can have no trust in a new testament. We can't know what is true or not. It's too iffy.

The old covenant saints could not be completed without what God did with the new covenant. The new is vital.

If God inspired both records, why would he take it upon himself to preserve the old alone and not the new? Inspiration demands preservation.

Agreed, but since you have a movement amongst some Christians who believe Jesus spoke only Hebrew. Then the New Testament is just a translation of a translation. A bad one at that, because some would point out that Matthew 28:19 is a interpolation, as well as the Johannine comma. Some others like Elder LeDeay, even go as far as saying the only way to check the New Testament’s accuracy is with a Hebrew text created 600 years after the last letters of the New Testament had been written. Just look at the whole Yahweh, and Yashua movment of recent years. Even the Joe Witnesses who claim that the REAL New Testament never had LORD, YHVH written in Hebrew whenever the word Lord would appear refereeing to God. Such ideas are wishful thinking. Rabbi argue against the LXX were adopted by Catholics and Martin Luther took out his scissors and started to lay waste to the Old and New Testament. Almost removing the book of James. Rabbis main argument against the New Testament is that it quotes the LXX. They argue that there were some sort of prohibition against a Judean learning and speaking a foreign language? Which is refuted by the book of Daniel. Which starts out in Hebrew and ends in Chaldean (Aramaic).
Jesus not only could speak Hebrew, and Aramaic, but also Greek, and Latin. When He was a child He was taken into Egypt. The largest Judean population outside of Jerusalem was Alexandrain Egypt. Where Greek was the Lingua Franca. But, even though we have such a strong witness for Jesus, and other Judeans being multi lingual, we still have those who can’t break away from a Hebrew Onlyism.

Scott Pitta 10-25-2019 07:34 PM

No Greek manuscripts of the NT are word for work identical.

No Hebrew manuscripts of the OT are word for work identical.

How does that square with divine preservation ??

Evang.Benincasa 10-25-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Pitta (Post 1574544)

What Hebrew manuscripts are you talking about? Which NT manuscripts are you referring to? Also what evidence do you have for Trump's impeachment?

Evang.Benincasa 10-25-2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa (Post 1574545)
What Hebrew manuscripts are you talking about? Which NT manuscripts are you referring to? Also what evidence do you have for Trump's impeachment?

Yeah, I thought as much. :heeheehee

mfblume 10-25-2019 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Pitta (Post 1574544)

if you believe that God inspired the original New Testament writings, then why would you not believe that God preserved them as well? We'll deal with manuscript evidence in a bit. But first of all, if God inspired the New Testament like he did the old, then how come we've got an intact and preserved old but not an intact and preserved new? Why would God Inspire something and yet not set out to preserve it?

As invaluable as the apostles' writings and the teachings of Jesus are for the New Covenant, how come they wouldn't be preserved by God?