Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   The Library (http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   " Are Christmas Trees Pagan ? " (http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=4627)

Digging4Truth 12-01-2009 06:49 AM

Re: " Are Christmas Trees Pagan ? "

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevBuddy (Post 375125)
HUH?????

Do you feel that anger and disrespect is necessary for growth and truth?

Truthseeker 12-01-2009 09:22 AM

Christmas is so vain, shallow and overrated.

Timmy 12-01-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truthseeker (Post 840932)
Christmas is so vain, shallow and overrated.

And it probably thinks this thread is about it. :lol

KWSS1976 12-01-2009 10:07 AM

alright Carly Simon...lol

Timmy 12-01-2009 10:14 AM

:D

missourimary 12-01-2009 10:24 AM

http://www.history.com/content/chris...een-traditions

People used evergreen boughs in various pagan worship at a few points in history. They also used palms, though.

Jeremiah wasn't referring to Christmas trees, since there was no Christmas yet. He was referring to idols-Ashtera poles and such-to which people bowed down and worshipped.

There are people who are convicted by Christmas trees. If they are, that's ok. If they aren't, that's perfectly fine too.

Christmas tree traditions started in the 1500s. They were not the offspring of a pagan tradition as such. Martin Luther had a tree, so they probably weren't Catholic either. Christmas trees haven't always been decorated with gold and silver, nor are they always now.

I don't have a tree. I would want a real one but feel bad killing one. I don't like plastic trees. So I don't have one at all. But it isn't a conviction, just personal taste.

pastorrick1959 12-01-2009 01:08 PM

amen

Sam 12-01-2009 01:16 PM

A month or so after I was baptized in Jesus' Name in October 1955 I started attending a UPC church in Racine, WI. There was a large decorated Christmas tree on the platform. I didn't really think anything of it because I had seen a Christmas tree in at least one denominational church.

Do you have a Christmas tree in your home or in your church?

Is it OK to have a Christmas tree in a home but wrong to have one in Church?

Digging4Truth 12-01-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missourimary (Post 840989)
Christmas tree traditions started in the 1500s. They were not the offspring of a pagan tradition as such. Martin Luther had a tree, so they probably weren't Catholic either. Christmas trees haven't always been decorated with gold and silver, nor are they always now.

Where did he come up with the idea of bringing an evergreen tree into his home on or around december 25th and decorating it in celebration of the birth of the son of God?

Digging4Truth 12-01-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 841093)
A month or so after I was baptized in Jesus' Name in October 1955 I started attending a UPC church in Racine, WI. There was a large decorated Christmas tree on the platform. I didn't really think anything of it because I had seen a Christmas tree in at least one denominational church.

Do you have a Christmas tree in your home or in your church?

Is it OK to have a Christmas tree in a home but wrong to have one in Church?

I have a lot of beliefs that differ from those who are in charge of the churches I have attended and I generally just hold my beliefs to myself and let things go as they may.

But... I would not attend a church during the time they had a christmas tree displayed if the church I was attending did so.

I generally allow my children to take part in whatever programs their class is doing as they generally revolve around actual mentions of Christ etc but I have pulled my kids out of one program. They were singing O Christmas Tree.

I do my best to live and worship peaceably with my church family but I do have my limits.