Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Just Who is a UPCI Member?? (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=1157)

stmatthew 03-11-2007 02:57 PM

Just Who is a UPCI Member??

We had this discussion a while back and I just read this in my trusty UPCI manual, and thought the bolded part was interesting.

Quote:

General Constitution

Article II

Membership in the United Pentecostal Church International shall consist of all ministers and missionaries holding an accredited credential or license, and all members of local assemblies which are affiliated with us, and shall be called "Organization".

SDG 03-11-2007 03:01 PM

Ah .. the perennial question ... you are a member as long as you pay your dues.

stmatthew 03-11-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea (Post 35672)
Ah .. the perennial question ... you are a member as long as you pay your dues.

The point of the discussion was that membership was only for ministers. I asked why the Manual addresses the local assembly if they are not members of the org itself. I think I have found the answer. You are a non-voting member of the UPCI if your church is affiliated with the org.

Old Paths 03-11-2007 03:04 PM

I THINK I read somewhere that ONLY the ministry is a member

philjones 03-11-2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Path (Post 35676)
I THINK I read somewhere that ONLY the ministry is a member

It appears that there must have been a contradiction or a mistake or both!:killinme

Actually, what Matt has quoted is what I had always thought. Non-voting member... So what good is membership?

BoredOutOfMyMind 03-11-2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stmatthew (Post 35675)
The point of the discussion was that membership was only for ministers. I asked why the Manual addresses the local assembly if they are not members of the org itself. I think I have found the answer. You are a non-voting member of the UPCI if your church is affiliated with the org.

So are you saying the protection of the International Bylaws then does not apply to non-affilated church members?!?

:dunno

SDG 03-11-2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoredOutOfMyMind (Post 35702)
So are you saying the protection of the International Bylaws then does not apply to non-affilated church members?!?

THEY NEED A CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION BOOM!!!!

stmatthew 03-11-2007 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoredOutOfMyMind (Post 35702)

I guess not, because they are not mentioned as being members of the org. Only affiliated church members are part of the "organization" according to the above.

Revelationist 03-11-2007 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philjones (Post 35687)
It appears that there must have been a contradiction or a mistake or both!:killinme

Actually, what Matt has quoted is what I had always thought. Non-voting member... So what good is membership?

It makes them feel good... : )

Revelationist 03-11-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stmatthew (Post 35707)
I guess not, because they are not mentioned as being members of the org. Only affiliated church members are part of the "organization" according to the above.

Affiliation is when you turn your buiding over the organization, so I guess affiliated church members have paid their due if they are willing to give their building to the organization...