Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Should the Message of Hell be preached in Churches (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=31308)

corvet786c 08-25-2010 05:47 AM

Should the Message of Hell be preached in Churches

Just as the title says? Is it good to have fear of it? Would it help anything in our lives to be better or opposite? Or does it scare people away? Just asking?

Just being specific. Talking about the torments, sulfer etc, what the bible explains it to be?Weeping and knashing of teeth. I mean Jesus himself taught about hell, so what about us?

Aquila 08-25-2010 05:50 AM

Re: Should the Message of Hell be preached in Chur

I think there needs to be a balance. Perhaps we are hearing more about Hell than the Heaven God is preparing for us. I can't remember ever hearing a sermon on "Heaven" itself.

coadie 08-25-2010 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corvet786c (Post 954800)
Just as the title says? Is it good to have fear of it? Would it help anything in our lives to be better or opposite? Or does it scare people away? Just asking?

Just being specific. Talking about the torments, sulfer etc, what the bible explains it to be?Weeping and knashing of teeth. I mean Jesus himself taught about hell, so what about us?

Preach the bible cover to cover. If some one finds they are in hell and their pastor never mentioned it, the pastor has some 'splainin to do.
I suggest a strong bible study on hell, its different meanings and how to go there.

Adam was told if they disobeyed pertaing fruit he would die.

Aquila 08-25-2010 06:08 AM

I'm not sure that a faith grounded on a fear of Hell is a mature faith. One's relationship with God can't be entirely built on fear. One must love the LORD. Again, I think we don't talk about Heaven enough. When we do it's disembodied and "mysterious"... but the Bible isn't mysterious at all about Heaven.

Sherri 08-25-2010 06:36 AM

Eddie's doing a series on Transformers - about reaching the lost and their lives being transformed. Last week he spoke about hell - it was very sobering, but not done in a scary way. I think it has to be preached if we believe it's real.

corvet786c 08-25-2010 07:16 AM

We all have struggles right? No one is perfect except Jesus. So what if we are struggling with a particular sin in our lives and dont overcome it? But always repent but it comes upon us once in a while.

iceniez 08-25-2010 09:34 AM

Jude 1:22-23

faithit166 08-25-2010 09:56 AM

absolutely people need to be warned of their destiny if they choose to obey not the gospel (imo)

Michael The Disciple 08-25-2010 10:08 AM

Yes because Church people can still wind up going there.

Yeshua said so:

[2] Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.
[3] Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
[4] Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
[5] He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
[6] He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
Rev. 3:2-5

Two unpopular topics. "Works being perfect" and Hell.

Yet the Master says to Church people if their works are not perfect their name will be blotted out of the book of life.

Christians need to hear more about Hell.

Churches tend to teach nothing of substance concerning Heaven OR Hell.

Aquila 08-25-2010 11:15 AM

I think it depends on which church you go to. I've heard hundreds of sermons about sin and hell (primarily relating to dress standards and television)... but I've never heard one sermon or lesson on Heaven itself.

When was the last time anyone here has heard a sermon or lesson specifically about "Heaven"??? When was the last time anyone here has heard a sermon specifically about "Hell" or going to Hell where Hell was described? I'm willing to wager we've heard far more about Hell.