Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Deep Waters (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Is God Egoic or Selfless? (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=38324)

Dedicated Mind 01-28-2012 09:05 AM

Is God Egoic or Selfless?

Is God egoic? Does he have the right to be egoic or is he selfless?

Based on the verse, deep calleth unto the deep, is there a void in God that longs to be filled with relationship and worship like the void in man or does God subsist in eternal bliss without the need of men or angels for relationship and worship?

Amanah 01-28-2012 09:16 AM

Re: Is God Egoic or Selfless?

just off the top of my head

God's creation teaches relationship

We are all interdependent

God created marriage

Marriage is a type of Christ and the church

the church is said to be a body, with Christ as it's head

if creation is the expression of God, then God must desire relationship.

relationship that is freely given, not automated.

bbyrd009 01-28-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanah (Post 1133100)
just off the top of my head

God's creation teaches relationship

We are all interdependent

God created marriage

Marriage is a type of Christ and the church

the church is said to be a body, with Christ as it's head

if creation is the expression of God, then God must desire relationship.

relationship that is freely given, not automated.

Amen! Kind of illuminates how God desires that an ego become selfless, if you will, but that an ego (of some definition) still exists.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedicated Mind (Post 1133095)

Based on the verse, deep calleth unto the deep, is there a void in God that longs to be filled with relationship and worship like the void in man or does God subsist in eternal bliss without the need of men or angels for relationship and worship?

I would suggest that the answer to this might best be "yes," from a human perspective, and note that God created evil, also, which may seem non-sequitur here, but illuminates that our best human descriptions of God will be inadequate.

Praxeas 01-28-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Definitions please!

KeptByTheWord 01-28-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

does God subsist in eternal bliss without the need of men or angels for relationship and worship?

Yes, God doesn't need us. We need HIM. Plain and simple. Anything more than that makes God less, and brings Him to the level of we humans.

He doesn't need us, we NEED Him!

kclee4jc 01-28-2012 11:02 PM

I don't believe God is selfless. Everything exists because of and for Him. In His humanity, He became the selfless servant. We are to be selfless because we are not God. God is God unto himself. We are god to no one. Simply His creation.

Praxeas 01-28-2012 11:14 PM

Nobody is selfless. But that does not mean everyone is selfish. As I said....definitions please!!!!

bbyrd009 01-29-2012 10:30 AM

Well, you are to be like gods, and you will be like a god to others, for what that may be worth. Exo 7:1, for instance, can't find the command in NT right now, pretty sure it was red-letter.

Praxeas 01-29-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbyrd009 (Post 1133376)
Well, you are to be like gods, and you will be like a god to others, for what that may be worth. Exo 7:1, for instance, can't find the command in NT right now, pretty sure it was red-letter.

Satan said that to deceive Eve and he said that was the reason God forbade them to eat of the tree. He is the deceiver.

God made Moses to be LIKE Elohim, meaning Moses was God's proxy or intermediary to Pharoah. He was still a man and died like man not a god

bbyrd009 01-29-2012 05:10 PM

Yes, that surely is true; there are several other refs for this, also, but of course I can't find the one I want; comes from reading one version and searching another, or something. Please note that even your Genesis ref is verifying this; satan was not lying to Eve, this is "god" just like I mean, the Moses thing. (edit: ok, I doubt that connection is clear; see that satans description of "a god" and the one applied to Moses is the same) We are to be like gods. Oh, and the ref I remember said "don't you know you will be like gods" possibly, which many might place in the future. Still looking, sorry, I've found it like 3 times before...