Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Islamic Issues and News (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Islam vs. Christianity Part 1 (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=3722)

Bruce Klein 05-16-2007 12:05 PM

Islam vs. Christianity Part 1

Islam vs. Christianity © Bruce A. Klein, ThD 4-07

Introduction
I. Islam and Christian Fundamentalists
II. Love and Hate
III. God’s Name
IV. Jihad – War
Conclusion

This study will mainly be read by Christians, but if you are a Moslem reading this study, I do not wish to offend you. I do love you by the power that Jesus my God has given me to love you. You may be seeking proof that Jesus is really God. A true Christian can give you the proof. The proof is in our love and the signs (miracles) that follow every Christian. In the USA, many people claim to be a Christian, but many are not really Christians, they are deceivers. Many true Christians simply don’t know the Bible. They follow the ways of tradition which Jesus very strongly spoke against in His Gospels.

“And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.” Mark 16:17-18

If a person says they are a Christian and they don’t speak in tongues, they are not a Christian. ETC.

Introduction

There are real Moslems as there are real Christians. To me it seems that a person claims the religion of their parents or the religion of their country. An individual most decide for himself or herself how involved they will be with their religion. Those who really get involved based totally on their religions holy book are fundamentalists.

There are very major differences between Islam and Christianity. The differences are like between night and day. One teaches hate and murder. The other teaches love and non-violence.

Does your God have a name?

I. Islam and Christian Fundamentalists

Christianity has fundamentalists. When I was a Baptist, we considered ourselves to be fundamental Baptists, even fighting fundamentalists. Why did we consider ourselves as fundamentalists? We considered ourselves fundamentalists, because we held to strictly following the Bible. The Bible says It; I believe It; that settles it!

Islam has fundamentalists. Why do they consider themselves as fundamentalists? They consider themselves as fundamentalists, because they hold to a strict following of the Kor’an. The Kor’an says it; they believe it; that settles it! Since a Holy Jihad is taught, we will kill all Jews and infidels (pagans), so reads the Holy Kor’an.

How to Treat Infidels According to the Kor’an

Surah 9:5 But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem of war; but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practise regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft–forgiving, Most Merciful.

Surah 9:29 Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, even if they are of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

Surah 9:123 O ye who believe! fight the unbelievers who gird you about, and let them find firmness in you: and know that Allah is with those who fear Him.

Surah 48:29 Muhammad is the messenger of Allah; and those who are with him are strong against Unbelievers, but compassionate amongst each other.

Surah 8:38-39 Say to the Unbelievers, if now they desist from Unbelief, their past would be forgiven them; but if they persist, the punishment of those before them is already a matter of warning for them.

39 And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah altogether and everywhere; but if they cease, verily Allah doth see all that they do.

Surah 2:193 And fight them on until there is no more Tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah; but if they cease, Let there be no hostility except to those who practise oppression.

Surah 25:52 Therefore listen not to the Unbelievers, but strive (Jihad) against them with the utmost strenuousness, with the Qur’an.

Surah 61:9-11 It is He Who has sent His Messenger with Guidance and the Religion of Truth, that he may proclaim it over all religion, even though the Pagans may detest it.

10 O ye who believe! Shall I lead you to a bargain that will save you from a grievous Penalty?–

11 That ye believe in Allah and His Messenger, and that ye strive your utmost in the Cause of Allah, with your property and your persons: That will be best for you, if ye but knew!

Surah 9:20 Those who believe, and suffer exile and strive with might and main, in Allah’s cause, with their goods and their persons, have the highest rank in the sight of Allah: they are the people who will achieve salvation.

Surah 2:191 And slay them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have Turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they first fight you there; but if they fight you, slay them. Such is the reward of those who suppress faith.

Surah 2:216 Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not.

Surah 4:74 Let those fight in the cause of Allah Who sell the life of this world for the hereafter. To him who fighteth in the cause of Allah,– whether he is slain or gets victory–Soon shall We give him a reward of great value.

Surah 47:4-6 Therefore, when ye meet the Unbelievers in fight, smite at their necks; At length, when ye have thoroughly subdued them, bind a bond firmly on them: thereafter is the time for either generosity or ransom: Until the war lays down its burdens. Thus are ye commanded: but if it had been Allah’s Will, He could certainly have exacted retribution from them Himself; but He lets you fight in order to test you, some with others. But those who are slain in the Way of Allah,– He will never let their deeds be lost.

5 Soon will He guide them and improve their condition,

6 And admit them to the Garden which He has announced for them.

Etc.

If you are a Moslem and you want to kill me, why?

Here is a prayer:

Dear God,
I want to know who you are. I want you to love me, and I want to love you. Please help me! You are God, so you are all powerful. You are everywhere; you are all knowing. I want to go to heaven. Please reveal yourself to me. Please show me your miracles. I want to serve you. I want to worship you. Dear God, thank you for listening to me. I have sinned. Please help me not to sin. I do not want to lie anymore. I want to have a spouse who loves me. I want to be apart of a loving community. Thank you for answering my prayers.

In Jesus' name, Amen

What the Holy Bible teaches about 'how to get to heaven' is found here: http://www.freewebs.com/bibleteach/h...achristian.htm

A fantastic website about Islam: http://www.allahislam.com/

Bruce Klein, MA in Islamic Studies

Bible teacher, theologian, missionary, writer

My missionary web page:
www.freewebs.com/aim_oneness

www.freewebs.com/bibleteach

Bibleteach@hotmail.com

Praxeas 05-16-2007 06:09 PM

Thank you....you have a masters in Islamic studies?

Trouvere 05-18-2007 01:43 AM

He does and he is probably the only known Jew who does.

Iron_Bladder 05-18-2007 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Klein (Post 115553)
If a person says they are a Christian and they don’t speak in tongues, they are not a Christian. ETC.

Bruce, I'm shocked! As nowhere does the Bible to my knowledge ever state that we must speak in tongues to be saved. Mark 16:17 was spoken to the 11 apostles as they hid in a room, the promises here arn't given to the entire Church, if it was then every Christian could heal another and there would never be any sickness in the Church, also no Christian could ever die of posioning or get food sickness etc. If tongues are necessary for salvation, then Luther, Augustine, Spurgeon, Wesley, Bunyan etc are all lost and in hell; something which appears crazy as these men were godly men who loves the Lord.

Bruce Klein 05-18-2007 05:00 PM

Hello Iron Bladder,

At one time I was a Baptist pastor. I know what you have been taught.

The way I see things, you have a choice. You can continue to think you are right, or you can look at the verses I use to prove my points. I use proof texts just like you.

Dr. Jack Deere was a professor at Dallas Theological Seminary. He received the true Holy Spirit baptism with the evidence of speaking in tongues.

Dr. Hobart Freeman was a professor at Grace Theological Seminary. He wrote books used in many Bible colleges and seminaries, including Moody Bible Institute. He received the true Holy Spirit baptism with the evidence of speaking in tongues.

These men had a lot to loose by following the Bible, but they chose truth, praise Jesus! They had wasted years studying and teaching false doctrines.

The whole issue is likened to one who does not believe there is a God. How would you prove there is a God?
"And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen." Mark 16:20

Iron Bladder, what signs do you have confirming the word?

You mention about healings. A Christian should not provide healing to everyone who asks. One must ask the Holy Spirit, if one should lay hands on an individual for healing.
"To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus." 1 Corinthians 5:5
Should a Christian lay hands on this person for healing? No.

Should a Christian cast out demons from everyone who asks? No.

What does the word 'Christian' mean?
'Christ' is Greek for annointed
'Messiah' is Hebrew for annointed
'Annointed' is English for annointed

'Christian' means 'one annointed like'

Jesus walked on earth for 30 years with no sin, right?
He could have died at that point for our sins, right?
Why didn't He, sure to fulfill prophecy, but what else?
"For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:" 1 Peter 2:21

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father." John 14:12

"How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him." Acts 10:38

Jesus didn't do any miracles until His example of the Holy Spirit baptism. He didn't need water baptism or the Holy Spirit baptism; He is God. They were simply examples for our following. He was led by the Spirit into the desert. ... He gave us examples of casting out demons, healing the sick, etc. One cannot do these miracles until one has the true baptism of the Holy Spirit.

"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." Revelation 21:8

I give the above verse to show you I know the punishment for lying.

I have laid hands on a man with aids in a hospital in MN. He was healed.
I have laid hands on a lady with a tumor on the front of her head and back, healed.
I have laid hands on many as a missionary in China, Uganda, etc. healed.
The list can go on ....

I have cast demons out of many.

Before I received the baptism of the Holy Spirit, it would take me hours to write a message. Now, I can have a message in minutes.

You can find salvation truth based on Jesus' Word at:

http://www.freewebs.com/bibleteach/index.htm

In Jesus,
Brother Bruce

Trouvere 05-18-2007 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Bladder (Post 118092)
Bruce, I'm shocked! As nowhere does the Bible to my knowledge ever state that we must speak in tongues to be saved. Mark 16:17 was spoken to the 11 apostles as they hid in a room, the promises here arn't given to the entire Church, if it was then every Christian could heal another and there would never be any sickness in the Church, also no Christian could ever die of posioning or get food sickness etc. If tongues are necessary for salvation, then Luther, Augustine, Spurgeon, Wesley, Bunyan etc are all lost and in hell; something which appears crazy as these men were godly men who loves the Lord.

1.The bible says in Mark that signs followed the believers. One of these signs was that they shall speak with new tongues.

Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

2.In Acts 2 when the Holy Ghost feel upon the believers they spoke with other tongues.

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

fell on all them which heard the word.

3Peter used the tongues that fell upon the Gentile believers as evidence that they had been received by God even though they were strangers to the house of Isreal.They heard them speak with tonguesActs 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

4.Simon the Sorcerer wanted to give the Apostles money that he might be able to lay hands and people receive the Holy Ghost.He evidently saw and outward manifestation or else he would not have wanted to pay.I say if no evidence was present then he would not have offered to pay.

Act 8:17 Then laid they [their] hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
Act 8:18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
Act 8:19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.

5.Paul met believers who were only baptized with Johns baptism which was of repentance.They still needed to be baptized in Jesus
and when Paul laid his hands on them they spoke with tongues and prophesied.Prophecy alone was not the sign but tongues was the sign.

Act 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

Act 19:5 When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Act 19:7 And all the men were about twelve.

There are too many witnesses in the Word of God to ignore that if a person is a true believer that they will speak with tongues as the Holy Ghost is poured out on them.They may never do it again or only do it occasionally but when one receives the Holy Ghost the tongues follow.

This is not to be confused with the gift of tongues.This is concerning the gift of the Holy Ghost.A person with the Holy Ghost may have the gift of tongues or divers tongues as we know it but a person will never have the gift of tongues and not the Holy Ghost as there is no scriptural support for it.

Sister Phyllis 05-19-2007 03:44 PM

Part 1

----------------------------------------------------------------

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Acts 2:38 (KJV)

The Birth of the Church

(Acts 2:1-4 KJV)

And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

{2} And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

{3} And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

{4} And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

INTRODUCTION

The church began on the Day of Pentecost without many of the things that people today often think characterize a church. They had no pews, stained glass, or pulpits.

They did not even have a permanent church building. What they did have, however, was the outpouring of the Holy Ghost!

Revival has never been contingent on buildings or the lack of buildings.

Though it is natural for us to desire to provide for people a pleasant place of worship, God is sovereign and can operate His church with or without church buildings!

When the church was born on the Day of Pentecost there were no radio programs, no newspaper ads, no mass mail campaigns, and no bus ministries.

But there were excited people who were ready to spread the good news of the regenerating power of the Holy Ghost!

We can do the same today.

I. THE PROMISE

(Acts 1:4-5 KJV) And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. {5} For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

Prophets of the Old Testament, John the Baptist, and Jesus Christ all foretold the outpouring of the Holy Ghost. The promised Spirit outpouring first came upon only 120 faithful followers who had obeyed the command of Jesus to tarry in Jerusalem for the promised gift.

A. Obedience

It is never enough only to hear the commands of Jesus, for He said, "If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15).

The parable of the two houses, one built on the rock and the other on the sand, clearly demonstrates the necessity of obedience.

(See Matthew 7:24-27; Luke 6:46-49.)

The parable pictures two types of people.

Both heard the Word of God, but only one obeyed it. The one who built on the rock is like one who hears the Word and obeys, but the one who built on the sand is like someone who hears the Word and disobeys.

The disciples of Jesus both heard His command to tarry for the promise of the Father and waited until the Spirit came! (See Acts 1:12-13.)

B. Tarrying

In tarrying for the promised Spirit outpouring, the disciples revealed their complete willingness to obey the words of Christ. It also gave them an opportunity to search their hearts for any unrepented sins and to prepare their hearts with faith and worship to receive the Holy Ghost.

Today, a person who is ready to receive the Holy Ghost can receive Him immediately.

While it is not necessary in our day to go through a specific time of tarrying to receive the Holy Spirit, it is still vital that we prepare our hearts to receive the Spirit.

Like the first disciples, we must repent of our sins, be baptized in Jesus name for remission of sins , worship God, and obey His Word to receive the Holy Ghost.

We should never dismiss the importance and necessity of repentance,

even though a person may quickly receive the Holy Ghost. Nor should we criticize those who do not receive the Spirit as quickly as others.

Possibly they are settling personal issues in their own mind and heart.

What is important is that people believe in the personal promise of the Spirit, and that they can receive Him anytime and anywhere they reach out to Him in faith.

The early believers continued worshiping and waiting until they were filled.

"These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren"

(Acts 1:14).

II. THE PROMISE FULFILLED

For several days the disciples of Jesus were together as they waited to receive the promise of the Father.

They had come to Jerusalem for the Feast of Pentecost.

The feast, held on the fiftieth day after the beginning of Passover, was a time for Jews to celebrate the grain harvest, and to bring offerings from their harvest and offer them up to God.

The streets were crowded with people who had come to the city for this important Jewish celebration.

Little did they realize how life changing the celebration of Pentecost would be this particular year!

It would begin a new era in God’s historical revelation of Himself, a time in which people from every race, nation, and language could know God personally and intimately.

In unity the disciples of Christ

waited in an upper room

until the fiftieth day after Passover,

until the Day of Pentecost "was fully come."

A. The Upper Room

(Acts 1:13 KJV)

And when they were come in,

they went up into an upper room…

"And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place"

(Acts 2:1).

B. The Outpouring

"And when the day of Pentecost was fully come…"

(Acts 2:1).

"Was fully come" - literally, "was being fulfilled"-

The Pentecost outpouring fulfilled the Feast of Pentecost, the celebration of the harvest.

(Acts 2:2-4 KJV)

And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

{3} And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

{4} And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Throughout history, people at various times had close communion with God, but no Old Testament relationship, regardless how spectacular the event, compared with the experience God gave to His church.

Even the Incarnation had predictable limitations…

As a man, Jesus could only be with people at a given place and time.

But by His coming as the Holy Spirit, God was in His people! (See John 14:17.)

At Pentecost,

those who received God’s Spirit

became His children by a new birth. Therefore, it should not seem unusual that

God would give a clear tangible sign of His new relationship to His people.

Those who received the Holy Ghost spoke with other tongues as the Spirit gave the utterance. Isaiah had foretold this unique sign of the Spirit hundreds of years before:

"For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people" Isaiah 28:11).

Tongues still are the sign of individuals receiving the Holy Ghost.

The account in the Book of Acts of the first people receiving the Holy Spirit set the pattern for the church in all generations, races, and cultures.

The Jews spoke with tongues on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4, 39).

The Gentiles spoke with tongues as

Peter preached the gospel

to Cornelius and his household

(Acts 10:44-48).

It is also apparent that the Samaritans spoke with tongues when Peter and John laid hands on them and prayed,

for Simon saw visible signs when they received the Holy Ghost (Acts 8:14-19).

The Ephesians spoke in tongues when they received the Holy Ghost (Acts 19:1-6).

Even Paul the apostle acknowledged speaking with other tongues:

"I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all" (I Corinthians 14:18).

Sister Phyllis 05-19-2007 03:47 PM

Part 2

III. THE PROMISE PREACHED

A. The First Pentecostal Sermon

(Acts 2:5 KJV) And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

How many people were in Jerusalem at the time of the first outpouring of the Holy Ghost? Though we may not know for certain, we do know that a great throng of people had gathered from all areas in Israel and from Gentile nations where Jews were living.

Some estimate that as many as three million people would be in Jerusalem on a typical Feast of Pentecost in those days.

Of course the exact number remains uncertain, but we can safely assume that at least a few hundred thousand people were in Jerusalem to celebrate the feast.

(Acts 2:6-8 KJV) Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

{7} And they were all amazed and marveled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

{8} And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

(Acts 2:12-13 KJV) And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

{13} Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

When Peter stood to preach and addressed the crowd gathered around them, he not only assured the people of the sobriety of the disciples, also explained to them, "What meaneth this."

(Acts 2:14 KJV) But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

1. The Sobriety of the Disciples (Acts 2:14-15).

Some people in the crowd voiced concerns as to the sobriety of the disciples, suggesting that they were drunk. (Acts 2:15 KJV)

For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. They were not drunk with wine; it was too early to be drunk since it was only nine o’clock in the morning.

They were not under the influence of alcohol, but they were under the influence of the Holy Spirit they had received!

2. A Biblical Experience (Acts 2:16-21).

The experience of Pentecost was not extra biblical.

Peter pointed to Joel’s prophecy to validate the experience. (See Joel 2:28-29.)

"But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God,

I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy" (Acts 2:16-18).

Other prophets also had prophesied of the Spirit’s coming (Isaiah 28:11; Jeremiah 31:31),

and their predictions of Pentecost forged an undeniable biblical authority for receiving the Spirit as the disciples did at Pentecost.

Likewise, our spiritual experiences today must be biblical. We cannot base our lives on unbiblical testimonies. Spiritual experiences must conform to scriptural teaching.

3. The Ministry and Person of Jesus (Acts 2:22).

The Scriptures also testify to the miraculous ministry of Jesus Christ:

"Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know" (Acts 2:22).

4. The Death of Jesus (Acts 2:23).

Peter preached of the death of Jesus Christ on the cross.

He boldly declared,

"Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God,

ye have taken,

and by wicked hands have crucified and slain"

(Acts 2:23).

The preaching of this truth brought intense conviction into the hearts of those who heard.

(Acts 2:37 KJV) Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart…

5. The Resurrection of Jesus (Acts 2:24-36).

(Acts 2:24 KJV) Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should beholden of it.

Miracles, wonders, and signs followed Jesus, pointing to His uniqueness in ministry.

But it was His resurrection that pointed to His deity.

The death of Jesus on the cross is a vital part of the gospel message,

but it is not Christ’s death only that saves us.

It is His life and resurrection!

(Acts 2:33 KJV) Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

(Acts 2:36 KJV) Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Peter’s emphasis clearly was not on a dead savior,

but on a living,

resurrected Christ! He whom God raised from the dead secured the promise of the Spirit for us, and the Spirit’s witness of this event affirmed Jesus’ resurrection and deity: He is both Lord and Christ, both God and the Christ in whom God lives.

Many of the same people who a few weeks before demanded His death with the words, "Crucify Him, Crucify Him," were now convicted deeply as Peter preached the resurrection of Christ.

(Acts 2:37 KJV)

Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart,

and said unto

Peter and to the rest of the apostles,

Men and brethren, what shall we do?

How similar to the Old Testament story of Joseph and his brothers! Joseph’s brothers rejoiced to see him gone, and they hoped to be rid of him forever. As far as the brothers were concerned he was dead, but Joseph was very much alive!

When the brothers bowed as they approached the ruler in charge of grain in Egypt, little did they realize it was their own brother. When they found out that Joseph was the ruler, they were moved with guilt and fear.

When the people realized that

they had crucified the Messiah of mankind,

they were cut clear to the heart.

They had not been spiritually bothered by Jesus’ crucifixion, but like Joseph’s brothers, they were terribly disturbed when they found out that He was alive! Unwittingly, they had crucified the Lord of glory!

B. Gladly Receiving the Word

But, hearing the Word of God preached created both faith and conviction in the hearts of the people, and they responded in faith with a desire to be saved.

The response one has to the message of salvation is the difference between eternal salvation and damnation.

The decision should be easy.

These hearers in Jerusalem responded properly to the preached Word of God, and they continued to follow in obedience. (See Acts 2:41.)

C. Adding to the Church

Of the great number of people present, 3,000 of them, after seeing the event,

hearing

Peter’s message, and being convicted of their sins,

believed

and were baptized on that day!

"Praising God, and having favor with all the people.

And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved" (Acts 2:47).

It is God’s will to add people to His church.

A healthy church is one that regularly and

consistently leads people to be transformed

by God’s power.

CONCLUSION

The beginning of the church was the great spiritual event that changed the relationship between God and mankind.

The church began with

the outpouring of the Holy Ghost on the Day of Pentecost, and it continues today with the same experience offered to all people.

Sister Phyllis 05-19-2007 03:48 PM

Part 3

The Holy Ghost was promised by various Old Testament prophets as well as by John the Baptist and Jesus Christ in the New Testament. This promise for which mankind had longed was fulfilled when the Spirit came at Pentecost.

Since that day, the Holy Ghost is not only a fulfilled historical promise of God, but a promise that is still received wherever the gospel is preached. It was not an exclusive promise for the Jews or for those present on the Day of Pentecost but a promise for whosoever will, to all who will believe.

"For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call" (Acts 2:39).

The early church set the pattern for us to follow.

They faced rejection and ridicule for the sake of the gospel, and at times we also shall face the same kind of opposition.

We cannot seek to please men, but the Lord Jesus Christ. If we follow the plan He set up for the church as revealed and preached by the apostles,

we will hear Him say,

"Well done!"

The new-birth experience is the same today as on the Day of Pentecost!

There is only one way to be saved and that is to follow Acts 2:38 - Repent, and be baptized in Jesus name for remission of sins and you will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. That is a command and is the plan of salvation .

The old way is still the right way, and obedience to the gospel message is still the way to salvation. If we love Jesus Christ, we will obey His commandments and experience the new birth.

Have you followed in obedience the plan God gave us in the His Holy Word to be saved?

If you have not please consider it!

Read for yourself what God's word says in Acts 2:38,39 and pray for the Holy Spirit to reveal to you this wonderful plan of salvation . You will not regret it and know my friend that there is only God , not three gods and Gods name is Jesus .

All power is in the name of Jesus .

Only He can save you ,

heal you and deliver you

and set you free .

He is the only one who will give you peace and joy.

I know for I have received Him into my heart and life and followed in obedience acts 2:38

Once one does that then we must endure to the end and one day

we will meet Jesus

face to face

and oh what a wonderful glorious day that will be .

Timmy 05-22-2007 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Klein (Post 115553)
“And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.” Mark 16:17-18

Then, if you do not take up serpents, you are not a Christian. Drink some poison. If you are harmed, you are not a Christian. If you lay hands on the sick and they do not recover, that would prove you are not a Christian.

I'm just using your own logic. You cannot take part of that scripture and make the statement you did, without also applying the rest of it in the same way.

(Or is that what you meant by "ETC"? Do you drink poison? Does every single sick person you lay hands on recover?)

BTW, don't drink poison. It's not really a good way to find out if you are a Christian!