Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   The Grandparents Guild (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Too Young For "Grandma" (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=28583)

Dedicated Mind 01-26-2010 07:42 PM

Too Young For "Grandma"

My mother thought she was too young to be called "Grandma," so when her first grandbaby came, she wanted to be called "YaYa," which is greek for grandma. Now my sister just became a grandma and she is looking for a name that her grandchild can call her. I suggested "NaNa," which is what Seinfeld calls his grandma on the show. I suspect that "NaNa" is a jewish name for grandma.

What names do you prefer to be called as a grandparent or what names would you suggest my sister be called instead of grandma?

freeatlast 01-26-2010 08:22 PM

Re: Too Young For "Grandma"

They address me as GrandFather, with great respect.

Sam 01-26-2010 08:46 PM

How about Bama?

Or how about Big Mama?

Or how about Granny?

Dedicated Mind 01-26-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 870561)
How about Bama?

Or how about Big Mama?

Or how about Granny?

I was thinking of grandma in other languages. Big Mama sounds disrespectful and Granny would sound old to her. My sister is only 43.

Sam 01-26-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedicated Mind (Post 870572)
I was thinking of grandma in other languages. Big Mama sounds disrespectful and Granny would sound old to her. My sister is only 43.

Some of those suggestions were in jest.

simplyme 01-26-2010 09:15 PM

I would like to be called simply "grandma" when my first and only granddaughter gets
old enough, she is only 2mo. old right now, lol

I've heard all types of grandmother names or nicknames. NaNa sounds cute.
I think it depends on the grandchild, what they can say at what age, and so forth, some
of those cute nicknames 'stick' throughout a lifetime, lol
THATS LOVE!

tamor 01-26-2010 10:38 PM

I was 40 when my daughter became pregnant with my first and I didn't want to be "Grandma" either.

My mother and also my SIL's mother were already Nana so I didn't want to confuse with another one. I thought about Mimi at first but then my daughter's stepmother decided she wanted to be called Mimi and I wasn't about to share my name with her, so I made up my own.

I am Granda and I love it!

Cindy 01-26-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedicated Mind (Post 870538)
My mother thought she was too young to be called "Grandma," so when her first grandbaby came, she wanted to be called "YaYa," which is greek for grandma. Now my sister just became a grandma and she is looking for a name that her grandchild can call her. I suggested "NaNa," which is what Seinfeld calls his grandma on the show. I suspect that "NaNa" is a jewish name for grandma.

What names do you prefer to be called as a grandparent or what names would you suggest my sister be called instead of grandma?

I love being called granny.

Sinatra 01-27-2010 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedicated Mind (Post 870538)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedicated Mind (Post 870572)

Dedicated Mind, here's a list of Grandma in other languages.

Grandmother in Other Languages

Chinese: NaiNai
Filipino: Lola
Flemish: Bomma
French: Grandmere
French Canadian: Meme
German: Oma
Greek: YaYa
Hawaiian: Tutu
Hebrew: Savta
Italian: Nonna
Japanese: Oba-chan
Korean: Halmoni
Polish: Busia
Portuguese: VoVo
Russian: Babushka
Spanish: Abuela
Yiddish: Bube

[ETA]

Afrikaans: ouma
Basque: amona
Belarusen: babka
Croatian: baba
Czech: babicka
Frisian (spoken in Germany and the Netherlands): beppe
Indonesian: nenek
Maltese: nanna
Mapunzugun: kuku
Maori: kuia
Odawa (Canadian Indian): nookmis
Ojibwe (Canadian Indian): nookomis
Polish: BABKA
Portuguese: avó
Romanian: BUNICA
Slovak: BABICKA
Slovenian: stara mama
Spanish: Abuela
Swahili: bibi
Swedish: FARMOR
Tagalog: nuno
Tibetan: a phyi
Turkish: ANNEANNE
Ukranian: babusia
Urdu: dadi

rgcraig 01-27-2010 06:35 AM

I like Madea - - lol!

I'm going with Tamor's name - Granda - - - it's a play on my name too!