Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   One In The Greek (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=53482)

Michael The Disciple 08-16-2019 08:02 AM

One In The Greek

Help needed.

Can someone tell me if there is any difference in Greek between these words "one" in Greek from our English Bibles?

Mark 12:29

29And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

1 Tim. 2:5

5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

John 10:30

I and my Father are one.

1 John 5:7-8

7For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Appreciate the help!:highfive

Scott Pitta 08-16-2019 08:35 AM

Re: One In The Greek

One means one. It is best translated as one. But one could paraphrase it as one. The literal translation is one.

In Spanish, it is translated as uno. Not to be confused with the popular card game bearing the same name.

Costeon 08-16-2019 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple (Post 1569993)
Help needed.

Can someone tell me if there is any difference in Greek between these words "one" in Greek from our English Bibles?

29And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

1 Tim. 2:5

5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

John 10:30

I and my Father are one.

1 John 5:7-8

7For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Appreciate the help!:highfive

All these examples have the same Greek word for one. The difference between the Greek word one and the English word one is that the Greek word is inflected, that is, it has different forms depending on if it's modifying a masculine, feminine, or neuter word and depending on its grammatical case (nominative, genitive, dative, or accusative).

In all your examples, "one" is in the nominative case. The different forms for the Greek word in the nominative case are heis (masc), mia (fem), hen (neut).

In your first two examples, the Greek form of one is masculine heis because the word it is modifying is a masculine noun.

In your last two examples, the Greek form of one is neuter hen. There is debate about the significance of it being in the neuter. I have heard people argue that if the Father and Son are one person, John would have used "heis." And since he uses "hen," he is not saying they are one person but something like one in agreement or one in being or something like that.

Nowadays I don't generally hear people debating 1 John 5.7, but I suppose that Trinitarians would make a similar argument that if all three refer to one person, John would have used heis not hen.

Michael The Disciple 08-16-2019 07:57 PM

I use this a lot.

1 Tim 2:5

Can I confidently say both of these words mean one in the ONLY one sense?

Scott Pitta 08-16-2019 08:30 PM

Yes.

Michael The Disciple 08-16-2019 08:43 PM

According to the Greek word for one here can we confidently say the Kurios our Theos is ONE?

Scott Pitta 08-16-2019 08:45 PM

Yes. The Greek is the same as English.

Gotta go.

Esaias 08-16-2019 08:55 PM

Depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

Michael The Disciple 08-16-2019 09:02 PM

1 John 5:7 still comes up a lot in discussions I have had. It came up a few days ago.

I am aware of the controversy around it. I can say that it was used by my cousin many years ago to spark my curiosity about Oneness.

When the Trins use it for themselves I point out that the blood, water, and spirit AGREE in one.

But the Father, Word, and Holy Ghost ARE one.

I assume these are not 2 different Greek words for one in the verses and that the context points out the truth that to AGREE in one is different than to BE one.

rdp 08-16-2019 11:34 PM

*The gender of the Greek adjectives in conjunction w. the verbs used is very instructive. Indeed, the masculine pronominal/predicative adjective used in Mark 12.29 demands a sole person—and is never used for more than one person in the GNT.

*I am hoping to write a booklet using both diachronic and synchronic analyses on this topic in the next year or so (was actually just looking up the various usages of this masculine adjective the other night). In the meantime, if interested, here’s some blog articles I have written on this subject: https://apostolicacademics.com/?s=heis&submit=Search

*At the risk of appearing self-promoting, I have also done several public debates on this very topic replete w. lexical quotes if interested (cf. Bruce Reeves debates online). God bless.