Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Any suggestions? (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=31706)

Praxeas 09-29-2010 07:29 PM

Any suggestions?

My pastor's PC started to act up. It would not send a signal to the monitor, looking like it shut down, but the LED was on.

Sometimes it would reboot, it sometimes did it as the bios was loading so I ruled out an OS problem. I tried everything, removed everything and still it would reboot, infact it got so bad it would never make it to the OS boot process. It was a cheap MB and I read they used really inferior capacitors so I went ahead and replaced the MB.

Well it's no longer rebooting in BIOS but it will randomly reboot in Windows.

My two thoughts are I need to try to update all the MB drivers or from rebooting so many times or just dying and being turned off and back on the file system is just totally jacked up.

BTW it did this once before and I figured out the PS was bad. I replaced it and it worked great for a while then started the issue. Could there be something wrong with the case where it's not grounding properly?

Praxeas 10-16-2010 03:13 PM

Re: Any suggestions?

Well this was a lemon. First the PS went bad. After that I wasn't sure if it was the ram or not so I swapped them out and the thing still was rebooting. I replaced the MB and reinstalled the OS and it did not reboot anymore before the OS loaded but I kept getting windows errors and then some reboots. So I tested the ram and sure enough errors.

I replaced the ram with really good ram this time, none of that value crud, and the PC flies.

Im thinking something about the PS or the MB made the others go bad. That or a surge but if so why not mess up the CPU?

Azzan 10-23-2010 02:13 PM

The P/S and memory issues may not be related. Our company once had a server that was shipped with faultly RAM from the factory but ran fine for awhile because the computer wasn't using that portion of memory. But it eventually appeared as we added more drivers and load to the server. Just a thought.

Praxeas 10-23-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azzan (Post 977249)
The P/S and memory issues may not be related. Our company once had a server that was shipped with faultly RAM from the factory but ran fine for awhile because the computer wasn't using that portion of memory. But it eventually appeared as we added more drivers and load to the server. Just a thought.

Hmmm but I did a complete reinstall of the OS...formatted and nothing else added but the original specs and then I got the window issues.

Kinda weird, PS, MB then RAM

Azzan 10-23-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Praxeas (Post 977345)
Hmmm but I did a complete reinstall of the OS...formatted and nothing else added but the original specs and then I got the window issues.

Kinda weird, PS, MB then RAM

I'm a little confused with the chain of events. Based upon your posts it sounds like you did:

1. replaced PS
2. replaced RAM set 1 with set 2 on MB 1
3. replaced MB 1 with MB 2, kept RAM set 2
4. replaced RAM set 2 with RAM set 3

Do I have that correct?

Was the CPU replaced with the motherboard or did you resuse it?

Praxeas 10-24-2010 12:35 PM

The ps went bad and I replaced it
It worked fine
Later it acted like the ps was bad again.tested it and it was ok
Swapped ram to test it but still acted up and decided to replace mg
was no longer rebooting during bios but lots of windows errors
. Ran memtest found errors.replaced ram.runs fine

Donna Thomas 10-24-2010 11:10 PM

Are you still having problems with the computer? Sounds like it might need reimaging or might just need a new computer. I have discovered when you start having lots of problems with a computer, it sometimes is easier to replace it. Our computer tech at the office told me this after I had worked on my computer and then had him work on it. I hope you can fix the problem.

Praxeas 10-25-2010 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna Thomas (Post 977861)
Are you still having problems with the computer? Sounds like it might need reimaging or might just need a new computer. I have discovered when you start having lots of problems with a computer, it sometimes is easier to replace it. Our computer tech at the office told me this after I had worked on my computer and then had him work on it. I hope you can fix the problem.

No it runs better than before.

I just don't know if it was one thing that led to another or just a lot of bad hardware to begin with.

It started with the PS. After that it worked fine for a while then it would random reboot, which was the original symptom.

I checked the PS and it was fine..eventually it got so bad it rebooted during POST.

I figured it was the MB and replaced it. It no longer rebooted in POST, but It reported a ton of windows errors and it would randomly reboot.

I took it home and ran memtest and found the ram was bad too. Earlier I swapped the ram to test it but since the MB was bad too (I suspect capacitors) it didn't really matter.

Now with a new MB (a much better one) and ram (again much better), no more problems and it flys...I might even OC the CPU too ha.

Still Im wondering if a bad PS caused problems or a bad MB or is it really just a coincidence?

Donna Thomas 10-25-2010 03:29 AM

I have to admit you are over my head. If it wasn't for Brent, our computer tech, I would be lost. I only know what I am doing after discussing it with him. LOL. He maintains all the computers on one of the riverboats.

seekerman 10-25-2010 10:02 AM

It's possessed. Cast the devil out of it!!!