Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Who was Harry Morse ? (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=46285)

Scott Pitta 06-10-2014 04:57 PM

Who was Harry Morse ?

Harry Morse founded the Pentecostal Training Institute in Oakland, California back in the 1930's.

One of his students was CJ Haney. Rev. Haney went on to found Western Apostolic Bible College in Stockton, California.

Did Harry Morse write any books ? Were any of you his friends or students ?

Where can I find more info about him ?

Pictures ??

Thanks !!

CC1 06-10-2014 05:07 PM

Re: Who was Harry Morse ?

Morse Code?

Steve Epley 06-10-2014 05:12 PM

His name is found among Ewart, Cook, Haywood, and others.

Reader 06-10-2014 05:24 PM

I have something for you. In 1927 he organized the church in Oakland (if I correctly understand).

He was a District Sec for the PCI. Give me a couple minutes and I will share a page from a UPC publication- the western district our heritage book.

Steve Epley 06-10-2014 05:29 PM

Thanks I love this stuff.

Reader 06-10-2014 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The pictures didn't turn out the best, especially the one at the top, but Morse isn't in that one.

Reader 06-10-2014 05:35 PM

I can try again if anyone wants.

Steve Epley 06-10-2014 05:38 PM

Thanks. If I am correct most of these guys were not new birth guys.

Reader 06-10-2014 05:41 PM

You are welcome.

I am not aware one way or the other. This was the PCI, so it is likely, but not a certainty based solely upon that.

Praxeas 06-10-2014 06:38 PM

Hi Scott :heeheehee

Reader 06-10-2014 06:40 PM

Morse is mentioned in Fudge's Heretics & Politics book on 2 pages.

He is linked with C.H. Yadon, Goss & Ewart as having no problems with a statement such as "we believe in the unity of the Godhead."

On the other page it has a picture of Morse with many others and mentions that C.H. Yadon attended Morse's school in Oakland.

Reader 06-10-2014 08:29 PM

Forgot to add it gives the year born as 1879 & the death as 1963.

Steve Epley 06-10-2014 08:42 PM

From what I understand much of California was in the PCI camp until the influx from Ok, Tx, Ark, then those preachers which were associated with the Apostolic College at Tulsa preached the new birth and strong holiness preaching reshaped California.

Carl 06-11-2014 10:43 AM

Frank Bartleman mentions Harry Morse in his book about Azusa.

AR Pastor 06-11-2014 11:26 AM

I read somewhere that Harry Morse got caught up in the latter rain movement.

Carl 06-11-2014 11:30 AM

He did observe the Sabbath according to Bartleman.

AR Pastor 06-11-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl (Post 1317567)
He did observe the Sabbath according to Bartleman.

I read that as well.

Reader 06-11-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Pitta (Post 1317321)
Where can I find more info about him ?

Pictures ??

Thanks !!

Did you get the info you were wanting? Or do you still need more?

Reader 06-11-2014 05:38 PM

http://oof.upci.org/%5Cinductees%5Chscism.asp Harry Ellis Scism was named after him.

Reader 06-11-2014 05:41 PM

unsure if this will help https://ifphc.org/index.cfm?fuseacti...w=1&MaxRows=25

Reader 06-11-2014 05:49 PM

Mentioned on page 34 http://issuu.com/pentecostalherald/d...ald_13_for_web

Reader 06-11-2014 05:52 PM

brief mention http://www.stanleyscism.com/history.htm

Reader 06-11-2014 05:56 PM

another brief mention http://arthodges3.com/author/ahodges3/

Reader 06-11-2014 05:59 PM

better link- pg. 2 is an old article he wrote http://www.1stapostolic.org/PDF/Pent...rald194702.pdf

Reader 06-11-2014 06:07 PM

Bernard writes this-

Harry F. B. Morse, a Oneness Pentecostal pioneer, the founder of an influential missionary training institute in Oakland, California, a foreign missions director for the PCI, and a UPCI minister. He believed in keeping Saturday as the Sabbath. Many influential pastors and missionaries, such as David Gray and Ellis Scism, were trained under him.

http://www.epubbud.com/read.php?g=6L3ZGNLE&p=1&two=1

Scott Pitta 06-12-2014 07:03 AM

Hopefully, I can gather enough for a boigraphical article about him. He had a article or 2 published in the Pentecostal Herald. I want to listen to the Urshan tape, somehow.

There might be a few still alive who can add some flavor to the article.

I still have some work to do.

I wonder what influences he had via C J Haney, on Christian Life College ??

Raven 06-12-2014 07:33 AM

Scott: Shirley Garner [ Haney ] Daryl Rash and Jack Renison may have more information about Harry Morse. I can get you their addresses if you need them.

Steve Epley 06-12-2014 08:32 AM

Very interesting. In reading his article it seems be believed the new birth message. That is refreshing to hear.

Scott Pitta 06-12-2014 10:33 AM

Those addresses would be helpful. Thanks !!

Reverend Rash was one of my teachers in college. He has had a profound positive impact on my life.

Scott Pitta 06-15-2014 07:06 AM

To my excellent Theophilus,

Greetings in Juesu' name. Pardon my familiarity, but it sounds so Scriptural and nice. You are the first man I have ever heard of bearing that name. Well, I assure you that I am glad to hear from you on the present truth you mentioned. Yes, your two letters reached me OK. I have been here long enough ( something nearly 1 and a half years) that I am quite well known here. I am somewhat amused to know of none there knowing my present address. I fear it is because of knowing my present stand, and evidently not caring to oblige any one. There is a reproach attached to this as in all advanced truths. Yes, God definitely dealt with me on this Sabbath subject about a year ago, and I was some months getting the full consent of my mind that it was God's eternal truth, and so about April, of 1916, I publicly took my stand for it and placed it among the cardinal truths of apostolic truths and have ever since have ever boldly stood for it in wisdom and love.

It made quite a stir at first, being such a new adventure in Pentecostal circles on the coast; but God has given me wisdom in the few previous months of my considering of of the subject to lay a foundation as to the place of the commandments in the New Testament: and when I got the Sabbath settled in my own mind it was not difficult to show the saints who have followed me in Bible teaching how that the Sabbath was one of those commandments; and to my surprise when I took my stand the larger majority of my assembly either came on with me or stood neutral and friendly with me in it; and then they gradually fell in with me, and with them came also quite a few of our ministers. So now we have a new order of Pentecostal mission work. I am very charitable toward those who as yet don't see it. By taking this wise attitude we are holding them, and and they are gradually getting the truth. We are quite a good sized assembly here, running on wide-awake mission lines. Souls are coming through to God. Sunday night two received the Holy Ghost baptism. Three were baptized in water in Jesus' name. We have nice open-air meetings every night, and when the opposers to legalism come around they have to admit that our stand for the whole law of God has not taken away either our old-time fevor and anointing in the Spirit; and the Spirit of the Lord is giving liberty. Your letter sounds solid on the subject. Your way of expressing yourself on the subject sounds natural.

I will truly enjoy being kept in touch with the Sabbath truth through you and your ministry. I will give you the address of a few more centers where the Sabbath truth is getting a hold...

I like your style of literature. I see your line is more on the lines I am led out on.

Christian love to you in Jesus' name,

Pastor Harry Morse

The Sabbath Recorder
Jan. 8, 1917

TJJJ 06-15-2014 07:16 AM

Wow. That letter is almost a hundred years old now. Amazing when you think about it.

So many walked this walk and have passed on.

Scott Pitta 06-15-2014 08:53 AM

Originally from Wisconsin, Harry Morse (1879-1963) worked in Stockton
before 1900, but returned prior to 1910 as a pastor, see, Wallace, Profiles, vol. 2, 283;
Haney, Man of the Hills, 32. Morse was a key leader in the expansion of the movement
in the region, see, “Our Trip Down the Coast,” Meat in Due Season, June 1915, vol. 1,
no. 6, 2. Harry and Maude Morse were part of the pre-merger, pre-Oneness PAW, see,
1917 PAW Minute Book, 15, and already on the Ninth St. location where they started the
popular Missionary Training School. Several leaders, such as Oscar Vouga, originated
from Morse’s work, see, Wallace, Profiles, 244-246.

GT Haywood, by French page 328 footnote

Scott Pitta 06-16-2014 06:32 AM

Harry Morse " was the Pastor that prayed for Clyde (Haney) when he came to the Lord."

D. Rash email 6/16/14

Scott Pitta 06-16-2014 12:37 PM

Oakland Tribune Dec. 15, 1928

Big Downtown Mission Grows

Pastor Harry Morse, who has carried on mission work in Oakland for the past 13 years, announced the Big Downtown Mission continues to operate at 9th and Broadway, with meetings every night of the week except Monday. It continues to hold crowds nightly with a new array of evangelistic workers from month to month.

Pastor Morse is assisted by a staff of young men and women who are receiving training for mission work under his personal work. There is no membership in this work, and is carried on with a spirit of good will toward all.

Scott Pitta 06-16-2014 12:48 PM

Oakland Tribune Aug. 4, 1928

Meetings are run on strictly evangelistic lines. This mission work has been am aggressive work of its kind in the city for many years. It is one of the oldest Pentecostal assemblies around the bay region. Harry Morse has been pastor of this work for over 18 years.

Scott Pitta 06-16-2014 12:55 PM

http://opa.htm

Decemer 21, 1929 Oakland Tribune

Scott Pitta 06-16-2014 01:07 PM

December 21, 1929
Oakland Tribune

This is one of the oldest Pentecostal Missions here in Oakland. Mr. Morse has spent nearly 15 years in this present pastorate. The work has continuously grown until today it is one of the largest missions here with its fame known all over the country. The meetings are full of life and blessing, yet sane and attractive to good thinking people.

Scott Pitta 06-16-2014 01:16 PM

Oakland Tribute April 11, 1936

...Dr. W. F. Haney of Modesto will speak and special services will be held in the evening.

Pastor Harry Morse has been in charge of the work for over 20 years. This mission work has a training department where young men and women are trained for home and foreign missions. These young people are a big asset in carrying on the work at 9th and Broadway.

Steve Epley 06-16-2014 01:24 PM

Thanks I am enjoying this. I love Pentecostal history.

Scott Pitta 06-16-2014 02:44 PM

Partial list of guest speakers who preached who preached at the Big Downtown Mission. This is not a complete list of names

R Bakke J Matthews
B Bums M Monroe
Bancroft J Opperman
T Bell R Pitts
P Bower G Raust
D Brice J Reznicsek
L Richardson
C Cagel M Tatman
Coates E Tharp
B Cook O Thornton
W Crumpacker C Vincent

E Driver F Walker