Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Political Talk (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Debbie "Spenditnow" (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=38468)

Jermyn Davidson 02-06-2012 09:23 PM

Debbie "Spenditnow"

At first, I did laugh-- but that's only because it was a stupid commercial anyway. But it is not funny and it only confirms what I have said about many members of my party.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/...172713855.html

Sabby 02-06-2012 10:27 PM

Re: Debbie "Spenditnow"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson (Post 1136114)
At first, I did laugh-- but that's only because it was a stupid commercial anyway. But it is not funny and it only confirms what I have said about many members of my party.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/...172713855.html

JD, please, don't allow yourself to be called racist in this...

Do you think Hoekstra could have made a valid point with a Norwegian on a bicycle? His point, as the lady in the ad says, is THANK YOU Miss Spendilot, for allowing our gdp to grow at 9% while yours is only 2%. That is due to our bucks going to China, not Norway...

I see nothing racist in it...

canam 02-07-2012 06:09 AM

Some people find racism all the time because they are looking for it,and if they cant find it, they invent it , give me a break ! Great ad,its true !! Obamaspenditnow wont like this either !

n david 02-07-2012 07:08 AM

Whomever thought it would be a good idea to put this ad and website together should be fired. This was over the line, stereotyping a race with an actress speaking broken English and the name. It was racist.

This was as bad as Biden saying you had to be Indian to work at 7-11, or using an Indian dialect when talking about a call center.

Stereotypes and junk like this have racial undertones, like it or not.

I hope Hoekstra loses big because of this. This has no place in politics. There are PLENTY of ways to highlight out of control spending by an opponent without involving race. Why give Democrats ammunition like this. It only helps provide proof to the inuendo and rumors that some Republicans are racist.

citizen 02-07-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canam (Post 1136169)
Some people find racism all the time because they are looking for it,and if they cant find it, they invent it , give me a break ! Great ad,its true !! Obamaspenditnow wont like this either !

Thats so true.
Why cant things go back to how they used to be. I want my America back.
There was a time when people werent so sensitive about racial issues - they didnt bring it up. I want my America back when people didnt whine so much.

Newt 2012!!

Nitehawk013 02-07-2012 12:46 PM

Stereotypes and generalizations are called such for a very simple reason. They are generally true.

Sorry if it breaks ones heart, but unfortunately Indian folks do seem to always work or run 7/11s and hotels. Blacks do always seem to speak horrendous english and, in my area at least, live in ............ neighborhoods and live poor. Its not that whites don't as well, but an obviously disproportionate number of blacks do, which in turn verifies the stereotype.

Twisp 02-07-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n david (Post 1136177)
Whomever thought it would be a good idea to put this ad and website together should be fired. This was over the line, stereotyping a race with an actress speaking broken English and the name. It was racist.

This was as bad as Biden saying you had to be Indian to work at 7-11, or using an Indian dialect when talking about a call center.

Stereotypes and junk like this have racial undertones, like it or not.

I hope Hoekstra loses big because of this. This has no place in politics. There are PLENTY of ways to highlight out of control spending by an opponent without involving race. Why give Democrats ammunition like this. It only helps provide proof to the inuendo and rumors that some Republicans are racist.

Agree with you there. It was extremely racist, and helps further the stereotype of Republicans. That stereotype is not always true, but stuff likes never helps.

aegsm76 02-07-2012 02:19 PM

It matters not what a Republican does, Demo's are going to cry raaaaaaaaaacist.
And we know that no Demo could ever be racist.
I.E. Robert Byrd, admitted kkk member, but not racist because he was a Demo.
Now, if he had been a repub, the dems would have demanded his resignation.

trialedbyfire 02-09-2012 05:34 PM

I didn't care for the commercial. It just makes Republicans look bad... some controversies you just avoid by not pushing the envelope.

The title Debbie Spenditnow is funny though.

canam 02-09-2012 07:01 PM

its called that because of debbie wasserman shultz, the dem leader, or as one commercial called her "debbie downer"